The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 01:01:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129619
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 140
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Windows XP Install Trouble  (Read 2018 times)

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
Windows XP Install Trouble
« on: August 25, 2007, 06:53:53 AM »

This isn't a quest for help, but a mission of mercy. I recently discovered a few solutions that I think people should know about when they encounter problems installing Windows XP. (I prefer 2k to Xp, but prefer Xp to Vista...)

1) Setup freezes at "Starting Windows Setup" (Something like that, anyway)

Press F5, and use the up and down arrows to select the type of computer. (Basically, do you want ACPI supported or not. Standard is without it, and the others are self explanatory.)

2) Setup freezes or crashes after formatting the hard drive and says that it cannot install because the disk is damaged, or it gives some weird STOP error.

Try making the partition smaller than the size displayed by the MOBO. If you HD is 160 gigs (like the one I just installed was) but your mobo only shows 130, either update the mobo (not an option for me) or set the partition size down to at or under that. (I set it to about 60, because I wanted something around 100 for the other.)
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Windows XP Install Trouble
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »

It didn't stop all of the problems, but it DID stop that one...
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 02:30:13 PM »

Some boards won't support booting from partitions larger than 137GB, but I haven't come across that issue in awhile. I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure 137gb is the magic number.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 06:34:51 PM »

I would assume so, but I figured it would be better to do 60 and 100 (ish)