The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 11:51:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: The what Amendment?  (Read 3271 times)

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
The what Amendment?
« on: July 07, 2004, 02:03:04 PM »

An interesting challenge (i.e. difficulty, not a direct challenge (yet!)) to the separation doctrine could be forming in Oregon.

Not that it will matter as Congress continues to ignore the Establishment Clause...  :roll:
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
The what Amendment?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 02:07:10 PM »

Oh good grief.  :roll:

Reading from the Bible on the floor of the Senate on Tuesday, Sen. Orrin Hatch endorsed a federal judicial nominee who wrote that wives should have a subordinate role in marriage, with the Utah Republican emphasizing "millions and millions of people will agree with" that view.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think that was from The Onion or something.

It saddens me that it's not.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

reimero

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +112/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.omgjonx.com
The what Amendment?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 02:17:00 PM »

I want to point out that while SOME Catholics believe that about women, it is NOT official Church doctrine.

And Orrin Hatch is a nitwit who should be beaten in the head with a brick.  Repeatedly.

Two things I hate: gender-neutral speech and treating women as anything less than full equals.  Maybe that sounds contradictory, but I don't see it that way (I tend to see things in terms of rules of grammar.)  If I'm going to pray, I'll say Our Father and not Our Supreme Parental Unit.
"This f*cker is in wisconsin, reimero is from awesomeland." - Bobert

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
The what Amendment?
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 03:03:34 PM »

^^ I have a particular hatred for the de-genderification of English. This s/he business just grates on my nerves. It looks really stupid. If you want to be proper about things in a textbook that has gendered pronouns, just alternate between 'he' and 'she' and 'his' and 'her' in different examples.

Nerd books do this nicely.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
The what Amendment?
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 04:32:25 PM »

The "holy mother\father" little movement is what ticked me off the most. **le sigh** What's this world coming to? Where am I going and why am I in a handbasket?
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
The what Amendment?
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 05:30:05 PM »

My senators didn't vote to confirm the bastard.  But the leadership should have fillibustered.  What are they gonna do next, nominate Roy Moore?

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
The what Amendment?
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 06:14:32 PM »

Aside from crazy ass judges being appointed, the first link I posted is an interesting conundrum. But, I realized I may have left out some critical information:

When a company (or Archdiocese in this precendent establishing case) files for bankruptcy they lose all control of the company until an order of the Bankruptcy Court passes it back in increments. We have a process called 'first day motions' which (watch for the magic!) are filed and heard on the first day after a company files for bankruptcy protection. These usually cover the major things, control of bank accounts, authority to pay wages, TRO's on utility companies to not cut off services, retention of attorneys and other required professionals, security of post-petition financing and possibly the outline of an asset sale or merger.

Beyond that the company must file a motion in open court to do anything, especially anything that may affect the capital the company has in the bank. And everyone can object, whether you are owed $1 million or $1 you have the right to object to anything the company does. Practically no orders are entered without at least an objection being filed or a hearing be held.

Thus, the Bankruptcy Court, the United States Trustee (a DOJ watchdog that monitors the case on behalf of the US) and an appointed committee of unsecured creditors have near absolute authority over the function of a company in bankruptcy. Sooooo...

The United States District Court for the District of Oregon, a court established under Article III of the United States Constitution is now the controlling authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Portland. :shock:

Bankruptcy and Constitutional lawyers are drooling uncontrollably.
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
The what Amendment?
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 06:55:41 PM »

Nice!

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
The what Amendment?
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 07:44:51 PM »

Quote from: xolik
The "holy mother\father" little movement is what ticked me off the most. **le sigh** What's this world coming to? Where am I going and why am I in a handbasket?

Heh, "COREDEMPTRIX'D!!!" as Strongbad might say.
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!