The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 09:44:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 153
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Nowledge, got a field report for us?  (Read 2636 times)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Nowledge, got a field report for us?
« on: July 15, 2004, 12:24:52 PM »

Linky

Sounds like Morocco is a veritable hotbed.  Nowledge, you're still hanging around there lately, right?  Got a man-on-the-street report for us?

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Nowledge

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 07:16:27 AM »

Nowledge here...
Things have gotten pretty hairy in the last few days, on a field research related trip I was accosted with Aboslut shooters and J&C, in related news seems that they roll their own ciggerettes and that they make me happy.
We've been advised not to leave the hotel today as there are obvious signs of hangovers and many of us haven't slept for days, it's a hard life, enough to drive a man crazy sometimes, but we keep going.
In more related news I found Bacon in a supermarket and after rubbing it all over my chest and dancing around in the meat aisle I cooked it and it was good.

Truthfully it's a wonderful country, and if anything the most moderate and tolerant country if not just in Islam in Africa (not a huge claim but one step at a time).  I've run into anti-american sentiments here and there but less than I would run into anti-Islamic sentiment in the US. I find that as a whole the worlds just tired of us and waiting for a reason to like us again. I wear tshirts with Virginia written all over them, baggy pants, sandals and I scream in a southern accent often and in all they simply love it.
I think any indication of problems via Morocco is simpley a matter of 'Via'. Morocco is the gateway for Africa to Europe and Europe is basically our door step to the world when it comes to Visas and Access. Many of the people in Morocco trying to get to Europe aren't Moroccan but Algerian, Mauritanean, and other although Morocco definately has its share of people  crossing the straight.
If I could make a recomendation I would say for everyone to visit, it's not terribly expensive if you do it right and the qaulity of life is far beyhond the US in my opinion. I really can say I've never eaten so well and been treated so much like family. India also has this generousity but Moroccans have accepted me over a language and cultural barrier with plate upon plate of the most amazing food (their chicken and mutton makes me week at the knees).
So back on topic its also worth saying that there is a definite conservative movement in Morocco right now in retaliation to the state of things for Muslims in the world today. On the other hand it has been accepted as a major goal by both the government and religous leaders (some) to teach a more peaceful version of Islam and in turn also seperate Politics from Mosques.
Hope that makes some sense as I'm recovering from a horrible hangover and I'm on the downside of a pot of coffee.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 08:31:18 AM »

Wow! That reminds me a a news thread we did like a year ago. I should look for that.

EDIT: Ah! Found it! That was hilarious! click

Nowledge

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 08:44:58 AM »

Quote from: TheJudge
Wow! That reminds me a a news thread we did like a year ago. I should look for that.

EDIT: Ah! Found it! That was hilarious! click

Hilarious, well done thread. Oh and I didn't mean to spell Absolut that way but I kinda like it so I'm keepin it.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 11:33:44 AM »

Whoa... thanks for the update, Nowledge.  We've always been able to count on you for a great perspective piece.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 01:37:18 PM »

Moan-doo! Never thought that thread would resurface.
Clow-doo-bwah, see-voo-play.
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

Nowledge

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 06:39:39 AM »

Quote from: Demosthenes
Whoa... thanks for the update, Nowledge.  We've always been able to count on you for a great perspective piece.

Well it should be said that my opinion on such things is changing every day, I'm finding more and more depth and disparity to Moroccans the longer I stay. But I'm also a optimist and I've been treated like family everywhere I go so my opinion kind of balances between those two factors presently. Either way though I'm having a amazing time.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 03:44:20 PM »

Quote from: Nowledge
Nowledge here...
Things have gotten pretty hairy in the last few days, on a field research I wear tshirts with Virginia written all over them, baggy pants, sandals and I scream in a southern accent often and in all they simply love it.

I thought you were from New York.   :?   Don't tell me that you're a confederate yankee like me!!
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

Nowledge

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 12:43:12 PM »

Quote from: Detta
Quote from: Nowledge
Nowledge here...
Things have gotten pretty hairy in the last few days, on a field research I wear tshirts with Virginia written all over them, baggy pants, sandals and I scream in a southern accent often and in all they simply love it.

I thought you were from New York.   :?   Don't tell me that you're a confederate yankee like me!!

I can't say born and raised but I'm as southern as 6 years will allow me to. I don't have much of a accent but I switch into it when I want to or just when other people are using it. It's by far the most entertaining accent I can yell with.