The Geek Forum

• May 12, 2024, 04:30:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What are...  (Read 9601 times)

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ice-on-fire.net
What are...
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2002, 02:03:45 PM »

"You see this!? IT MEANS NOT WELCOME."

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
What are...
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2002, 02:19:51 PM »

I believe that I saw it as a Native American symbol, before.
"Ohhh! That is almost sig quote material.... almost!" - The Judge

Unleashed

• My Space Emo Attention Whore
  • Coolio Points: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/piksandbdates/shoebox.msnw
What are...
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2002, 03:03:58 PM »

hmmm deep subject ... I'll have to get back to ya later on this when I have some time

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
What are...
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2002, 03:09:36 PM »

Also I believe the Buddhist symbol (don't know the name, but it's the swastika) is backwards.

Hence the hooplah over a Pokémon Zubat card. It had the symbol in the background. Problem is, whenever the cards are brought from Japan, American manufacturers flip the image.

I can see that being a problem definately......
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

Binoboy

• Hacker
    • View Profile
What are...
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2002, 03:11:43 PM »

As far as I can tell, 666 was a number Romans liked for some weird reason. And Christians didn't like Romans, so they made that evil. I think it's somethin like that but for whatever reason 666 was made the mark of the beast, it was just created as propagandic crap the Christians made up that had nothin to do with the word of God. That part I know for sure.
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

Illiterate

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
What are...
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2002, 03:16:47 PM »

Quote from: Binoboy
As far as I can tell, 666 was a number Romans liked for some weird reason. And Christians didn't like Romans, so they made that evil. I think it's somethin like that but for whatever reason 666 was made the mark of the beast, it was just created as propagandic crap the Christians made up that had nothin to do with the word of God. That part I know for sure.

Really? That's an interesting bit of information. I'll have to look that up..that's definately something I haven't heard before.

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
What are...
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2002, 03:22:11 PM »

I think I saw something along those lines on my search.
"Ohhh! That is almost sig quote material.... almost!" - The Judge

Binoboy

• Hacker
    • View Profile
What are...
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2002, 11:26:27 PM »

Yeah despite the fact that the Christians made up so many characters, they eventually confused them (Satan and Lucifer are not actually the same being, nor is Satan supposed to be a proper name ((in the Bible, I think it's termed "becoming a Satan".)) Lucifer isn't in the Bible either. Look for him by name.... Keep looking.... Thought so...)

Speaking of confusing, from what I've seen some believe Nero to have been written in as The Beast. Hence the whole Roman Emperor tie-in.

Also, the Bible confused names of "pagan" gods in the Bible. Supposedly the snake in the Garden of Eden was based on Egyptian god Set, but the "snake" was a mistranslated word derived from the character Lilith, Adam's first wife. Some people need to make up their minds! Who the hell made her eat the apple?

Let's not forget that so many people claim the Bible is inerrant. My ass it's inerrant. Mistranslations alone prevent that from being truth. Even the name "Eve"... that's actually the name Haava translated into Latin (Eva) and then Anglinized. It's also believed much like Satan, Adam wasn't supposed to be a proper name either. It bears a striking resemblance to the word "adham" which simply meant "man" in a generic sense.

There's the truly poetic story of "Satan" (again, a name made up through misinterpretation) being a less-powerful "darkside" of the loving God who would perform God's will. Hence the story of Job, where Satan tries to prove to God that Job isn't a true follower but only one when his luck his good. It's painted as a test.
Christians didn't like the thought of their God bestowing ill upon His people through his other self, so this somewhat-Gnostic story was abandoned.

(Slightly off subject, this is addressed in a harmless videogame called Shin Megami Tensei II where the final boss is... well... YHVH. Don't worry folks, it wasn't technically Him. The archangels got so impatient waiting for His arrival, that they chose to "make" Him come to their world. In the end, YHVH is defeated and orders Satan to kill Him, by his will that is)

I'm being picky but after all.. it's the little things that you form impressions over....

Let's not even get into the infamous "Letter to Dr. Laura." That right there illustrates my point beautifully.
There's also the matter of YHVH's 613 commandments. Yes, 613. "Now, according to the New Testament, Christians are exempt from those laws. And yet, the Christians not only obey ten commandments, but try to force us to live by their rules as well." (I'm citing from some other rant-boards I attend but I'm pretty sure these people know what they're talking about)

There's a quote that I have no rememberance of the speaker... something along the lines of "99% of information learned in church is bullshit (the word she used), and intelligent people learn this later and belive that 100% to be bullshit.. hence atheism becomes associated with intelligent people".

Another interesting factoid I found through a baby-naming website.... YHVH came from YHWH which, when extended, becomes Yod He Waw He (or thereabouts). Pronounce that name please... You can't? Good because it has no pronunciation. It was deemed blasphemous to say God's name over... a helluvalotta years ago, so eventually the pronunciation was lost. If I was God, I'd be hella pissed if everyone forgot my damned name!!! (Then again, I have surprising amounts of experience with people forgetting my first name... imagine that feeling amplified like infinite times...)
Yahweh is actually YHVH spelled with the vowels of Adonai (that's what the website says but I noticed interestingly enough that it doesn't seem to be that way; but I'll trust them on this one), a Hebrew word lent over from Greek meaning "god". (Same root as "Adonis")

That's my pseudo-educational pseudo-rant for the day... Enjoy while I do more needless research.

Hm..... I guess this maybe shows religion IS rather important to me. It's just a matter of finding which one, and then, not taking its texts too seriously, heh heh heh. It's all mythology no matter which way you slice it.... The story of Eve alone is about the same as the story of Pandora; it showed that humans were imperfect due first and foremost to free will and curiosity.

BunniesrAfterMe

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
What are...
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2002, 11:44:43 PM »

i have none :evil: (thoughts on religion)

Binoboy

• Hacker
    • View Profile
What are...
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2002, 08:09:57 PM »

Found the damned quote:

"Ninety-nine percent of everything that goes on in most Christian churches has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual religion. Intelligent people all notice this sooner or later, and they conclude that the entire one-hundred percent is bullshit, which is why atheism is connected to being intelligent in people's minds."
-Juanita Marquez (Snow Crash)

Jon

• Computer Whore
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gotthegeek.com
What are...
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2002, 08:21:41 AM »

Woah, that actually educated me a bit.

LFD

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
What are...
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2002, 01:44:34 PM »

wow, I feel like I learned something, gonna ask my mom to read Bino's post and see what she thinks since she knows more about the whole religeous stuff than me.

Binoboy

• Hacker
    • View Profile
What are...
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2002, 06:59:07 PM »

Quote from: LFD
wow, I feel like I learned something, gonna ask my mom to read Bino's post and see what she thinks since she knows more about the whole religeous stuff than me.

Alrighty, excellent; thanks for the obvious interest. But remember most of these beliefs are from Gnostic Christianity, the sect of Christianity even other Christians like to crusade against. I myself think Gnostic Christian beliefs seem a little more credible because everything's not so clear-cut black-and-white, there's not as many contradictions and misinterpretations and cheapshots (by that I mean bits of propaganda only added in to insult the enemies and victims of theirs). Plus these are Jesus's teachings.

Of course the last thing anyone could call me is a Gnostic. Quite the opposite actually (heh heh heh, a little wordplay). A little here, a little there....
Pages: 1 [2]