The Geek Forum

• May 10, 2024, 11:51:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129625
  • Total Topics: 7186
  • Online Today: 159
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

Author Topic: the war  (Read 49219 times)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Re: the war
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2006, 12:07:23 PM »

Lastly, I have never given an opinion on a fact. I have given my opinion on how I think criminals should be treated. That's not something where there are facts. Treatment of criminals has always and will always be subjective. There are laws on it, laws written by people with opinions. Laws are not fact, laws are opinions. Let me give you an example. If my opinion was that white people were supperior to black people, I would be wrong. Science has disproved that. Humans are humans. However, if I thought black people should be slaves, that would simply be an opinion. Not one I agree with, but it would still be an opinion. It's the same thing with my opinions. My opinion isn't that there were WMDs in Iraq, because that is a fact that they in fact were not there. My opinion is that we would've had to go in there eventually anyway, for completely different reasons.

Nice backpedal.  Yes, those things are opinions.  I never said they weren't.  The things you posted earlier that I pointed out are not opinions are not, however.

And just as a finishing note. If you like my opinion, give me a yay. If you dislike it, argue with me, or simply tell me you don't. But let's try to keep it civil. Banning me because of your assumption did nothing more than to kill this discussion and make it a spam thread.

Not at all.  It was an excellent way of demonstrating how authority can be wielded arbitrarily and to someone's detriment in a very, very limited way.

And since you still don't see how that applies to our earlier discussion, it's clear to me you still don't get it.  So yes, this discussion is pretty much dead.  You don't understand what we're trying to point out to you, and I think a big part of you simply doesn't want to understand. 

Don't get me wrong here, this isn't an "agree to disagree" situation.  This is a "you don't have a grasp on some of the fundamentals here, so we're concluding this until you do" situation.

I'm okay with that, but it does make any further discussion pretty pointless. 

Waldo, you're just an absolute pussy. You haven't contributed so much as an agreement post, and yet you feel you have the right to insult my opinion. Why don't you pull your head out of your ass before you go insulting other people, okay. And Waldo, just in case you aren't smart enough to grasp what I just said, I'm insulting you.  :wink:

On that we both agree.  :D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 12:09:44 PM by Demosthenes »

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2006, 12:15:07 PM »

He gave tax breaks during a war which is running up the national debt.
And, by doing so, he increased the government's revenue.  Go figure.  Works every time it has been tried.
All and all bush is just a terrible economic manager
No.  President Bush's problem is that he spends like a liberal to appease them in hopes that they won't kill legislation that he wants passed.  For some reason, Bush believes there is a I'll-scratch-yours-you-scratch-mine relationship with congress.
It also coincides with the spread of democracy which is always a good thing.
I'm not a believer in "installed democracy".  People don't love democracy because it works. Democracy works because people love it.
I believe in preserving the life of the community.
As long as the community agrees with your viewpoint.
I am a moral absolutist.
Yeah... morals are absolutely flexible.  The ends justify the means.
I think that if people have suspicious activities and information needs to be extracted from them to prevent future murders (either terrorist attacks in Iraq of Afghanistan or hits by the mafia in Boston or NYC) I believe it should be done, regardless of the methods employed on that person to get that information.
The US government believes that buying and using illegal drugs contributes to the funding of terrorists.  So, if I follow your logic, it's okay to torture the guy smoking a joint so that they can get to the drug lord that is supplying the drugs.  After all, he's the key to cutting off funding to the terrorists.  Right?
As long as no ones life is in danger I think due process should be folllowed, but if there are lives in danger I don't think it's fair to let the targeted victims be killed while we give criminals a trial.
It could be argued that someone's life is always in danger.
Once criminals are convicted I really don't think they're entitled to anything, including their rights.
Have you ever exceded the speed limit?  Spit on the sidewalk?
I mean, I don't think someone should lose their hands for stealing candy bars, but I don't think murders/rapists/terrorists/seditionists should get the humane treatment that they currently recieve.
You're a moral what?  One crime deserves different process than the other?
And thusly I not only support, but am proud of what the U.S. is doing to captured terrorists in the Middle East.
Thank Pepe you're not in charge.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 12:17:22 PM by BizB »
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

reimero

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +112/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.omgjonx.com
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2006, 12:18:15 PM »

Okay, I'm back.
Welcome back.
It doesn't seem like most people really care what I have to say, so I'm considering whether I should even bother saying it. Basically I'll just summarize my points because people don't seem to get my point on things.
It's not that we don't care, it's that it comes across as poorly rehashed propaganda we hear in plenty of other places without too much evidence of independent thought or understanding of the counter-arguments.

I don't believe in the war in Iraq, because it was executed badly. It was a stupid time. It was following another war. He gave tax breaks during a war which is running up the national debt. All and all bush is just a terrible economic manager. His economic minister couldn't even pronounce Keynesian economics. That's why I am against Iraq.
I do however, think it was a necessary invasion in order to help out of bussiness partners in the middle east. It also coincides with the spread of democracy which is always a good thing.
Re-read that.  You're against the war in Iraq, but you think the invasion was a good thing.  That makes you sound indecisive at best and utterly retarded at worst.  But I think I know what you're saying: the idea was good, but the timing and execution were not.  If that's what you mean, say so.

Furthermore, Keynesian economics is passe.  It's already been proven - conclusively - to be untenable over an extended period of time.  Modern economics is post-Keynesian.

I believe in preserving the life of the community. I am a moral absolutist.
Based on whose moral code?  Seriously, this is a critical question.  What makes Baptist morality more right or wrong than Sharia law or Catholic morality or a self-evident code of behavior derived logically without some supernatural intervention?
I think that if people have suspicious activities and information needs to be extracted from them to prevent future murders (either terrorist attacks in Iraq of Afghanistan or hits by the mafia in Boston or NYC) I believe it should be done, regardless of the methods employed on that person to get that information. As long as no ones life is in danger I think due process should be folllowed, but if there are lives in danger I don't think it's fair to let the targeted victims be killed while we give criminals a trial. Once criminals are convicted I really don't think they're entitled to anything, including their rights. I mean, I don't think someone should lose their hands for stealing candy bars, but I don't think murders/rapists/terrorists/seditionists should get the humane treatment that they currently recieve. And thusly I not only support, but am proud of what the U.S. is doing to captured terrorists in the Middle East.
So you're turning your back on a couple of centuries of phisiological and psychological studies that show conclusively that all torture succeeds in doing is getting people to admit to stuff in order to make the pain stop?  Seriously: torture doesn't work.  It never has.
We've already established that you do not value the Constitution as being the highest law in the land, tending to favour a more populist approach (i.e. the party/parties controlling the White House and Congress can trump the Constitution, should they so choose.)
The problem there is that when the government is above the law, then the law ceases to protect those who need it most.  When due process is suspended, it becomes easier for the government to silence its critics under trumped-up charges.

Also, I AM NOT AUTHORTARIAN. I believe very much in democracy.
You also said you were a moral absolutist.  This is contradictory.

Lastly, I have never given an opinion on a fact. I have given my opinion on how I think criminals should be treated. That's not something where there are facts. Treatment of criminals has always and will always be subjective. There are laws on it, laws written by people with opinions. Laws are not fact, laws are opinions. Let me give you an example. If my opinion was that white people were supperior to black people, I would be wrong. Science has disproved that. Humans are humans. However, if I thought black people should be slaves, that would simply be an opinion. Not one I agree with, but it would still be an opinion. It's the same thing with my opinions. My opinion isn't that there were WMDs in Iraq, because that is a fact that they in fact were not there. My opinion is that we would've had to go in there eventually anyway, for completely different reasons.
Actually, there was a recently declassified CIA document that stated they DID find old (and decaying) reserves of Vx nerve gas dating back to the Iran war.  It didn't get much press, but it proved that the stockpiles were not destroyed like they were supposed to be.  But that's neither here nor there.

And just as a finishing note. If you like my opinion, give me a yay. If you dislike it, argue with me, or simply tell me you don't. But let's try to keep it civil. Banning me because of your assumption did nothing more than to kill this discussion and make it a spam thread.
Actually, the point of the ban was to reinforce the "might makes right" argument you'd been implying, if not stating outright.
"This f*cker is in wisconsin, reimero is from awesomeland." - Bobert

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2006, 12:54:55 PM »

Nice backpedal.  Yes, those things are opinions.  I never said they weren't.  The things you posted earlier that I pointed out are not opinions are not, however.

I pointed out that I thought torture could be used for good and thus be a benevolent act. Benevolence and good are both opinions, and thus my belief on torture in relation to those two is an opinion.

Not at all.  It was an excellent way of demonstrating how authority can be wielded arbitrarily and to someone's detriment in a very, very limited way.

Your point misses the mark. No one was going to be harmed if I continued posting. There was no eminent threat. I get what you mean, about how people can be treated unfairly, but in this case there was no upside to it, as there is with what I'm saying. You guys miss my if clause. Due process should only be suspended if the lives of innocent citizens are in danger. That's it. If people are going to be captured or killed. That's even strongly pulled away from what I was originally saying, which is that toture of criminals are okay as long as it saves lives.

You don't understand what we're trying to point out to you, and I think a big part of you simply doesn't want to understand. 

I understand, but I don't agree. If banning me meant the community would be a better place, you would do it permenantly. One loses his right to post for the better of the rest. It's the way life works.

This is a "you don't have a grasp on some of the fundamentals here, so we're concluding this until you do" situation.

You act like there can only be on opinion. I understand but don't agree.

On that we both agree.  :D

:-o :-D
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2006, 01:05:18 PM »

And, by doing so, he increased the government's revenue.  Go figure.  Works every time it has been tried.

Every other time it's been tried we haven't been in war. You don't cut taxes when were in war. That's how you get a huge debt, like the one we have. We're going to be in worse shape than most Latin American countries pretty soon debt wise.

No.  President Bush's problem is that he spends like a liberal to appease them in hopes that they won't kill legislation that he wants passed.  For some reason, Bush believes there is a I'll-scratch-yours-you-scratch-mine relationship with congress.

The republicans have held the majority in congress since he got in.

I'm not a believer in "installed democracy".  People don't love democracy because it works. Democracy works because people love it.

Sadam wasn't a supported ruler. I think the Shiite majority would like to vote in their own leaders instead of having a minority leader brutally rule the country. Even if they decide on another form of government at least it will have popular opinion at first.

As long as the community agrees with your viewpoint.

That's not true at all. You don't agree with my view point, but I would not want you or your family murdered in a terrorist attack, and would want that prevented at all costs.

Yeah... morals are absolutely flexible.  The ends justify the means.

Everyone has different morals. Morals are just a code someone lives by.

The US government believes that buying and using illegal drugs contributes to the funding of terrorists.  So, if I follow your logic, it's okay to torture the guy smoking a joint so that they can get to the drug lord that is supplying the drugs.

You know, you really won't win any sympathy for me here. I absolute hate drug dealers. So many of my friends I grew up with became nothing but stoners because of drugs. So basically, I can't answer this objectively, because I'd like to see drug dealers brutally tortured to death for ruining so many young people's lives.

It could be argued that someone's life is always in danger.

Yes, but the criminals we have do not always possess necessary information. It's assumed terrorists know something about their webs activies. Just like mafia hit men may know something about future hits.

Have you ever exceded the speed limit?  Spit on the sidewalk?You're a moral what?  One crime deserves different process than the other?

Crimes recieve different treatments today, under this system.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2006, 01:14:57 PM »

When Trotsky advocated spreading the Revolution westward, he was seen as a global threat. Even though western regimes were threatened from within by progressive forces, the idea of "exporting Revolution" became abhorent even to those who would emulate the Soviet experiment. I assure you that Trotsky and his supporters had nothing but good intentions for the oppressed and suffering of the world, and dreamt the glorious Marxist utopian dream. But it made no difference. A revolution forced upon a people is just another form of oppression.

I would have thought we learned that lesson.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2006, 01:16:18 PM »

You know, you really won't win any sympathy for me here. I absolute hate drug dealers. So many of my friends I grew up with became nothing but stoners because of drugs. So basically, I can't answer this objectively, because I'd like to see drug dealers brutally tortured to death for ruining so many young people's lives.

I think your stoner friends had a hand in it, too.

You have a nanny-state mentality.

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2006, 01:24:38 PM »

It's not that we don't care, it's that it comes across as poorly rehashed propaganda we hear in plenty of other places without too much evidence of independent thought or understanding of the counter-arguments.

I really haven't said much having to do with propaganda. I don't believe a thing the government says and have blatantly stated that a few times, as well as said I suspect alterior motives.

Re-read that.  You're against the war in Iraq, but you think the invasion was a good thing.  That makes you sound indecisive at best and utterly retarded at worst.  But I think I know what you're saying: the idea was good, but the timing and execution were not.  If that's what you mean, say so.

You're quoting from two different spots, both out of context. You can do that to anyone and make them seem like a hypocrite. I don't support our operations in Iraq because of the poor way it was conducted. I do however think it was inevitable.

Furthermore, Keynesian economics is passe.  It's already been proven - conclusively - to be untenable over an extended period of time.  Modern economics is post-Keynesian.

That's half true, we don't use Keynesian economics, but we still use many of the same principles, like the federal reserve board, and how banks have to keep a certain amount of all deposits. As well as government intervention to increase the amount of jobs and assist infant industries.

Based on whose moral code?  Seriously, this is a critical question.

u·til·i·tar·i·an·ism   Audio pronunciation of "Utilitarianism" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (y-tl-târ--nzm)
n.

The ethical theory proposed by Jeremy Bentham and James Mill that all action should be directed toward achieving the greatest happiness for the greatest number of people.

What makes Baptist morality more right or wrong than Sharia law or Catholic morality or a self-evident code of behavior derived logically without some supernatural intervention?

No moral system is ever right or wrong. It is only accepted as a person or rejected by a person to a certain degree.

So you're turning your back on a couple of centuries of phisiological and psychological studies that show conclusively that all torture succeeds in doing is getting people to admit to stuff in order to make the pain stop?  Seriously: torture doesn't work.  It never has.

It's given us the names of other terrorists. Once terrorist leaders have been captured, they are tortured, and their cronies are often found. Are all the people found terrorists, probably not, but I'm sure many of them are. Because once we have all they know, the torture stops. If they lie, they just get tortured more after we find the information to be false.

We've already established that you do not value the Constitution as being the highest law in the land, tending to favour a more populist approach (i.e. the party/parties controlling the White House and Congress can trump the Constitution, should they so choose.)

I see the constitution as more of a guideline. Not to mention it's a living document which means it can change.

The problem there is that when the government is above the law, then the law ceases to protect those who need it most.

Checks and balances.

When due process is suspended, it becomes easier for the government to silence its critics under trumped-up charges.

Unfortunately that happens. It's a necessary evil. I'd rather be alive and have a temporary suspension of my rights while there is a serious situation, than be dead. Just my opinion.

You also said you were a moral absolutist.  This is contradictory.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but moral absolutism applies the same morals to all people regardless of their situations, and does not relate to self.

Moral relativism judges people more on what they went through.

Actually, the point of the ban was to reinforce the "might makes right" argument you'd been implying, if not stating outright.

I never said might makes right. I don't agree with that at all. I said drastic times call for drastic measures, that's the pinacle of my argument.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2006, 01:28:14 PM »

When Trotsky advocated spreading the Revolution westward, he was seen as a global threat. Even though western regimes were threatened from within by progressive forces, the idea of "exporting Revolution" became abhorent even to those who would emulate the Soviet experiment. I assure you that Trotsky and his supporters had nothing but good intentions for the oppressed and suffering of the world, and dreamt the glorious Marxist utopian dream. But it made no difference. A revolution forced upon a people is just another form of oppression.

I would have thought we learned that lesson.

But like I stated in an earlier post. If there is a democracy the country can vote to change from a democracy to a prefered system. In Trotsky's revolution, you were stuck with the dictator that took over. Not to mention, it was a lot of aristocrats, monrachs, and sleezy bussinessmen that were the ones that were afraid of Trotsky. The lower classes were only afraid of him and his system because the government told them to be.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2006, 01:30:55 PM »

I see the constitution as more of a guideline.

Here's yet another great example of where you are expressing your opinion about something which is actually fact.

Just in case you're interested, again, you can express an opinion about factual items, but that opinion can be wrong in those cases, just the same as if you opine that left is right, up is down, north is south, or that the Constitution is "more of a guideline".  :)

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2006, 01:33:14 PM »

I think your stoner friends had a hand in it, too.

You have a nanny-state mentality.

My friends who first turned into stoners turned my other friends into stoners. They did have a hand in it eventually, but it still relates back to the drug dealers. As far as them making the choice to start, they were like 14, they weren't old enough to make serious decisions on their own.

I don't have a nanny-state mentality at all. I actually largely believe the government should back off in many instances. Drugs included. I think drugs are such a problem is because they're banned. That's why they have criminal activity surrounding it. Cigaretes are bad for one's health, but they don't usually convert people to a life of crime. That's my thinking anyway.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2006, 01:36:57 PM »

Here's yet another great example of where you are expressing your opinion about something which is actually fact.

Just in case you're interested, again, you can express an opinion about factual items, but that opinion can be wrong in those cases, just the same as if you opine that left is right, up is down, north is south, or that the Constitution is "more of a guideline".  :)

If I believe something should be interpretted in a certain way, I am not wrong. The constitution is used today as a sort of guideline. No president has ever followed the constitution to the letter. So in this case I'd say that you are wrong.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2006, 01:37:55 PM »

I never said might makes right. I don't agree with that at all. I said drastic times call for drastic measures, that's the pinacle of my argument.

The pinnacle of your argument contains the seeds of its destruction. Because the question is, who gets to define what "drastic" is? Our Admin. decided things were drastic enough to invade Iraq. It was not put to debate. They got to say things were drastic enough for drastic measures only because they were in charge, not because they were right.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2006, 01:40:28 PM »

My friends who first turned into stoners turned my other friends into stoners. They did have a hand in it eventually, but it still relates back to the drug dealers. As far as them making the choice to start, they were like 14, they weren't old enough to make serious decisions on their own.

I don't have a nanny-state mentality at all. I actually largely believe the government should back off in many instances. Drugs included. I think drugs are such a problem is because they're banned. That's why they have criminal activity surrounding it. Cigaretes are bad for one's health, but they don't usually convert people to a life of crime. That's my thinking anyway.

You're all over the board, aren't you.

If the government backs off drugs, then who will punish the drug dealers? You?

And just because your friends were "like" 14 does not make them wards of the state. Where were their parents? Dealing drugs?

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2006, 01:45:26 PM »

The pinnacle of your argument contains the seeds of its destruction. Because the question is, who gets to define what "drastic" is? Our Admin. decided things were drastic enough to invade Iraq. It was not put to debate. They got to say things were drastic enough for drastic measures only because they were in charge, not because they were right.

We elect officials to make decisions. I think that if it were voted on by 2-3 branches of government that it would be fair to say that they are just in doing so. Mistakes happen, the world isn't perfect.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2006, 01:48:35 PM »

You're all over the board, aren't you.

Politically? Yes, I agree with almost no one.

If the government backs off drugs, then who will punish the drug dealers? You?

There would be no drug dealers. Drugs would be sold in gas stations with warning labels on them. Therefore, the government gets to tax the crap out of them, and it eliminates the crimes that go along with drug trafficing.

And just because your friends were "like" 14 does not make them wards of the state. Where were their parents? Dealing drugs?

Their fathers were either dead, gone, or in prison. Their mothers worked like 60 hours a week in order to keep their houses. I grew up in a poor neighborhood.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2006, 01:53:49 PM »

But like I stated in an earlier post. If there is a democracy the country can vote to change from a democracy to a prefered system.

Yeah, that worked out great in Iran. Watch the same thing happen in Iraq.

In Trotsky's revolution, you were stuck with the dictator that took over.

No, not in theory. And theory is all we have to go on, because Trotsky's theories were never tested in practice.

The theory was that if you socialize an economy, even by force, and put control of the economy in the hands of the people (whatever that means), that the people will govern themselves so effectively that the very need for government will eventually dwindle. That is pure Marxism. Trotsky believed that this kind of state can be imposed. There was no built-in need for a dictator, just an interim authority to guide the socializing process.

In theory.

Now, how different is that vision from the one you described?

Not to mention, it was a lot of aristocrats, monrachs, and sleezy bussinessmen that were the ones that were afraid of Trotsky. The lower classes were only afraid of him and his system because the government told them to be.

That's just babble.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2006, 01:57:55 PM »

Politically? Yes, I agree with almost no one.

Even with yourself. I was saying that you are inconsistent.

There would be no drug dealers. Drugs would be sold in gas stations with warning labels on them. Therefore, the government gets to tax the crap out of them, and it eliminates the crimes that go along with drug trafficing.

And how would that have prevented your friends from becoming stoners?

Their fathers were either dead, gone, or in prison. Their mothers worked like 60 hours a week in order to keep their houses.

Oh, my. All of them?

I grew up in a poor neighborhood.

Which one?

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2006, 02:03:47 PM »

Yeah, that worked out great in Iran. Watch the same thing happen in Iraq.

The Ayatolla is no worse than Sadam.

No, not in theory. And theory is all we have to go on, because Trotsky's theories were never tested in practice.

Trotsky converted to bulshevism. If anything was spread it would've been the USSR's dictatorship.

The theory was that if you socialize an economy, even by force, and put control of the economy in the hands of the people (whatever that means), that the people will govern themselves so effectively that the very need for government will eventually dwindle. That is pure Marxism. Trotsky believed that this kind of state can be imposed. There was no built-in need for a dictator, just an interim authority to guide the socializing process.

Trotsky gave the masses too much credit IMO.

Now, how different is that vision from the one you described?

I don't believe in socialism? When did socialism ever even come about in this discussion?

That's just babble.

The people who feared trotsky were the people in charge, because if Trotsky's idea worked they wouldn't be in charge.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2006, 02:06:06 PM »

Even with yourself. I was saying that you are inconsistent.

Different situations call for different ideas. My prefered ideals and my methods for handling present situations are not the same, because the same solution doesn't work for every problem.

And how would that have prevented your friends from becoming stoners?

There wouldn't have been pressure to convert them, or even if they did become stoners they wouldn't have become involved with crime as well.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2006, 02:18:21 PM »

No wonder you don't believe what anyone else believes.  You don't believe in anything concrete. 

If the government were to manufacture drugs, market and distribute them, and tax them heavily... how would that be any less likely to drive a drug user to crime in order to suppor their habit?  Surely you don't believe that drugs would end up being cheaper if the government were involved directly... do you?

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2006, 02:24:40 PM »

I'd like to take this opportunity to suggest that drug use isn't responsible for destroying people's lives; people's bad choices are responsible for that, and they happen to be using drugs.

This has been a message from the Drug De-Obfuscation Council.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2006, 02:33:43 PM »

True.  There are functioning addicts just as there are functioning alcoholics.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2006, 02:34:35 PM »

Ivan, you're wasting your time.