The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 01:32:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129627
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 140
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Before I kill this box...  (Read 3087 times)

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Before I kill this box...
« on: October 21, 2002, 08:21:28 PM »

Ok, some games (WC3, some old DOS games,) and some websites do this too, will cause my screen to go black, with a band of colors across the top.. It looks like (roughly, very very roughly) .  But it's all the way across the screen, on a black background.  Any idea what this could be?  I'll try to diagnose the problems more, but that's the best I can do right now.
"Ohhh! That is almost sig quote material.... almost!" - The Judge

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2002, 08:33:24 AM »

My gut says that it has something to do with VESA-compatibility, since newer gfx cards don't really support it anymore. Try using an older computer to play older games- I have a 486/66 with 16MB of RAM that I use when I find some old games on the net or in the cut bin of some electronics store. Works great.
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2002, 09:20:50 AM »

Ah.. reminds me of the time that my monitor inexplicably melted into the eye of Satan. The picture just disappeared one night and was replaced by a melting circular shape that beared resemblance to an eye with a thick black pupil in the middle and veiny muscly area all around.

Needless to say, it scared the loving fuck outta me. And God bless the fact that this computer has no feasible way of doing a cold reset unless you rip some cords out of the back of the tower :roll:

It comes in handy when the thing freezes, cuz then there's no way to shut it down. Every app has to shut down individually before the computer turns off. I imagine that looked so good on paper as a "safeguard" but now I wish to throttle them. When the eye of Satan invades your PC, you wanna turn it off quick.
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2002, 09:25:57 AM »

Quote from: Banshee
My gut says that it has something to do with VESA-compatibility, since newer gfx cards don't really support it anymore. Try using an older computer to play older games- I have a 486/66 with 16MB of RAM that I use when I find some old games on the net or in the cut bin of some electronics store. Works great.

That makes sense for the DOS games, but what about WC3 (WarCraft3)  That's still new, it works on a generic video card, but not mine...

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2002, 05:33:45 PM »

Oh...Lol, I thought you meant Wing Commander 3. My bad. :)

For Warcraft...I have no clue. Try swapping out gfx cards if you've got another one. Else, just give up... it's probably just some conflict with your card. Check the readme file for the game for unsupported gfx cards, and/or get a new one. Radeon makes good cards..you can snag one OEM for less than $100. If you got "mad money" though, go for the Radeon 9700....for about $239 OEM, you get the best graphics card available.
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2002, 05:51:04 PM »

Try getting newer drivers for your video card. That might cause some problems when doing some stuff.  :roll:

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2002, 07:16:37 PM »

Quote from: Chris
Try getting newer drivers for your video card. That might cause some problems when doing some stuff.  :roll:

I wish it was that simple.  I downloaded the GeForce universal drivers off of nvidiva.com's web site, and then I couldn't get into EverQuest, so I had to down-grade my drivers.  Oh well, I'm shipping off come september anyway.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2002, 01:43:49 PM »

what OS? if your on XP, there may be a patch for new games that could help. And the video drivers is a good start as well.