The Geek Forum

• May 12, 2024, 12:37:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: past experiences  (Read 3869 times)

rootlinuxusr

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-0
    • View Profile
past experiences
« on: August 29, 2006, 05:10:03 PM »

Exactly one year ago today, my family and I took one hour to pack what we held dearest to us. We didn't get half of that, but we got what we could. We didn't know what we were about to face, nor did we know how things were going to turn out. We didn't know how things turned out until two weeks afterwards. It is on this day, that I ask you to reflect, think back to all the things in life you love, the things that you hold dearest. Whether it be a teddy bear, a candy bar, someone special. Think of that. Remember in one second all of that can be taken away from you. Everything can change. Everything in life is superficial, but life itself. I write/type here today asking you to think back to all the things you couldn't live without, and question what would I do without....? If it came down to it, could I live without...? How would I deal with this...? I ask you, friends, think to yourself what is important to you. Thanks.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
Re: past experiences
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 05:15:02 PM »

Thank you for sharing.

Personally I don't have a lot of posessions that I'm really attached to, though I do like my books and tools, though they could be replaced (they actually have been). There is one exception however that is very strange, my Dr Pepper cans that I have stacked all around my room, I love those things and can't ever bring myself to throw them away. The colour, the memory of the refreshing taste, the old-fashioned yet jazzy new logo...

I also couldn't leave my dog behind.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 06:32:42 PM »

The internet.  Without it I would surely perish.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 06:37:56 PM »

Yeah, as long as I've got that I'm alright. It's pretty amazing really that the one indespensible thing I list off the top of my head is something that you'd need to try very hard to escape entirely, what with the whole 'world-wide' bit.

(Unless the tubes get clogged, that is)

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 07:33:07 PM »

I'm sorry for your losses, root. :(

What do I need? Off the top of my head, the one thing I'd make sure I'd grab is my computer's harddrive. Other than that, just my person and whatever clothes/toiletries we could quickly grab on the way out.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 07:37:48 PM »

Oh if I had to evacuate, I'd take the laptop, the ipod, the dogs, the wife, the PDA, the passports, my wallet, and my masks.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 11:30:54 PM »

I'm sorry for your losses, root. :(

What do I need? Off the top of my head, the one thing I'd make sure I'd grab is my computer's harddrive. Other than that, just my person and whatever clothes/toiletries we could quickly grab on the way out.

So you don't have your stuff backed up on a server somewhere?

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 06:44:08 AM »

What is truley important to me isn't in material form. Honestly, all my stuff could go up in flames and I'd get over it. That's why I have insurance. Sure, it would suck. I'd prefer not to go through that experience. But if I ever do, I don't think it would affect me much compared to the average person. I've never really been attached to childhood objects and I tend to throw away things that I no longer use (or give them to the poor if they are still usable). Some people like to keep all their stuff in a box so that once every 5 years they can dig through the goods and go down memory lane. I am not one of those poeple! Seriously, I don't like to keep old crap.

I am very fortunate to have a lot of material things I can enjoy, but over the years it's becoming more and more apparent that no matter what I get, I always want something else, something more. It's not just me, it seems to be human nature. We work hard to obtain something we desire and once we get it, we want something else.

Some days, I think about selling everything I own, quit my job, go live in a cave somewhere as a nomad where my efforts would be to satisfy my primary needs. Also, I could take the time to appreciate the nature and all of the wonders of this world that aren't man made. It's probably not something I'll ever end up doing for various reasons, but when I look at how our society works, sometimes I think a break from it wouldn't hurt.

12AX7

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 07:02:14 AM »

We work hard to obtain something we desire and once we get it, we want something else.
I think that's part of our survival instinct, diluted and stwisted

Some days, I think about selling everything I own, quit my job, go live in a cave somewhere as a nomad where my efforts would be to satisfy my primary needs. Also, I could take the time to appreciate the nature and all of the wonders of this world that aren't man made. It's probably not something I'll ever end up doing for various reasons, but when I look at how our society works, sometimes I think a break from it wouldn't hurt.
Do it. Take you a few days vacation, your tent, whatever you think you'll need; and go. Three days outside trying to find food is longer and harder than it sounds; but it is very 'liberating', and you'll find that the tiniest things you accomplish are extremely satisfying.

rootlinuxusr

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 08:42:40 AM »

Didn't really lose all TOO much, but from what we had before, theres a noticeable difference around our house. Including the house. Now we're in Dallas. We were living just across the lake, maybe 40 miles from New Orleans. If that. The eye of the hurricane passed 10 miles to the east of where we were. Or rather, where we would have been, had we not been in Oklahoma City.

F.Y.I. all I grabbed was my CD player, hard drives, a backpack, three pairs of clothes, my gamecube/games, and passport/I.D. card/everything in my wallet.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 08:52:50 AM »

WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN???

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 09:14:04 AM »

I'm glad you didn't have it too bad root.

Anything material can be replaced, although as Judge mentioned the process of replacing might suck.  Heck I'm the one who spilled a bottle of rum on my wedding photo negatives when coming back from my honeymoon.

My wife and my dog are the most important things.  Anything else preserved would be icing on the cake.

--this space intentionally left blank--

mzombie

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +2/-8
  • I'm nucking futs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 09:02:14 PM »

if i had to evacuate from anywhere i would take my proccesor, my ipod, my disks my family and thats about it.... or if i had time my hard drive as i have not backed it all up to a disk yet....

12AX7

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 06:21:10 AM »

If I had to evacuate, I'd use Fleet.

rogue_77

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-11
  • Realities a mere illusion, albeit a persistent one
    • View Profile
    • Mindblogling!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 08:13:47 PM »

What I deem important...

Numerous books I have.  I love my books.  Included is the good pickin's of my comic book collection.

Probably my laptop but its not vital, but I'd want to take all my data DVD's and CD backups that I have.  Years of information to go through.

My notebooks full of notes.

My photos and my camera.

These I guess I would deem the highest "grab before the house burns down" things.

oh..  and my little Rancor monster statue.