The Geek Forum

• May 14, 2024, 06:40:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129631
  • Total Topics: 7188
  • Online Today: 191
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Why ...THAT?  (Read 1755 times)

12AX7

Why ...THAT?
« on: September 07, 2006, 08:00:00 AM »

Have you ever noticed something like an option or feature and wondered "Why on earth would you need that?"

I noticed this..handy? option on Nero Express as I burned a CD the other night. I wondered, "Who the hell would want their CD software to automatically shut the entire machine down when the burn was complete?" I don't want any software shutting my machine down; especially just when I need to get the CD out of the drive. And ..maybe use it.
  Now; there has just GOT to be a real reason for this option. I mean, this little checkbox and option didn't just 'happen'. Someone actually wrote the code and put it there. So. . .  anybody got any ideas? Why would it be a important enough option to have it's own prominent place on the dialog box? Anybody else seen any weird/stupid/odd  so-called "options" and "features"?

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
Re: Why ...THAT?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 09:38:01 AM »

That comes from the time that it took ages to burn a cd or dvd. Especially dvd's could take a while. You could turn it on and go to bed. I actually used it.

12AX7

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 10:49:12 AM »

AH! Ok, makes sense. I woudn't want it turning my pc off, but I see someone did actually use it.

scribcake

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +42/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 11:22:51 AM »

One way I could see you could use it is if you were burning a boot cd... you could burn the disk, then have the computer shutdown with the disk still in the drive. That way all you'd need to do is boot to the disk.  :-D