The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 09:40:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129621
  • Total Topics: 7185
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Should the world be run by one system?  (Read 21297 times)

rogue_77

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-11
  • Realities a mere illusion, albeit a persistent one
    • View Profile
    • Mindblogling!
Should the world be run by one system?
« on: September 11, 2006, 09:07:36 PM »

Do you think the world should be run by one governmental system instead of all these seperate countries and nations?  Then as one entity(the world) we could allocate resources to where they need to be and re-arrange things a bit to be more suited to peaceful relations..

I'm just wondering how to achieve this..

:|

12AX7

Re: Should the world be run by one system?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 12:10:58 AM »

Do you think the world should be run by one governmental system
Not "no.", but HELL NOE!  :)

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 02:23:14 AM »

No, due to cultural differences and religions that will never work out.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 03:19:42 AM »

This would probably be very difficult to do now because, like jeee said, there are too many cultural differences and religions that would never work well together, not to mention there are many language barriers that would have to be worked around.

Had this concept been put into practice in earlier times, say before man started spreading throughout the world into different regions, this may just be feasible.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 06:02:28 AM »

Take a look at the UN or League of Nations, for example.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 06:19:09 AM »

Yep. Or look at all the different foods you eat; all coming under the control of one stomach. Everything turns to shit!

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 06:42:27 AM »

This would probably be very difficult to do now because, like jeee said, there are too many cultural differences and religions that would never work well together, not to mention there are many language barriers that would have to be worked around.

Had this concept been put into practice in earlier times, say before man started spreading throughout the world into different regions, this may just be feasible.

It still wouldn't have worked. Just look at the world today. A lot of "states" wish to seperate from their country and become their own country. Canada came very close to loosing Quebec in recent history. People form communities  based on values and beleifs. While diversity is an interesting concept, more and more people are recognizing that it's not working and are instead turning to "integration" practices. It's human nature I guess.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 09:09:25 AM »

It still wouldn't have worked. Just look at the world today. A lot of "states" wish to seperate from their country and become their own country. Canada came very close to loosing Quebec in recent history. People form communities  based on values and beleifs. While diversity is an interesting concept, more and more people are recognizing that it's not working and are instead turning to "integration" practices. It's human nature I guess.

That seems more like the fact that people are ignoring the one thing we have in common. (Being Homo Sapiens)

But even then, if you go below that you can find all sorts of interests and beliefs to categorize and divide people with. Take a look at religion, as a big example, or political parties; countries are another way to seperate people and take power and even they are influenced by breaking people apart.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 11:50:34 AM »

I'd prefer more fragmentation.  City-States would be far better.

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 03:12:12 PM »

It would also lead to insane amounts of government corruption. A government that big couldn't possibly keep a watchful eye on all of the activities occuring throughout the world, particularly not that of government branches. So once corruption started, it would spread, and it would take root quickly.

rogue_77

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-11
  • Realities a mere illusion, albeit a persistent one
    • View Profile
    • Mindblogling!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 04:43:09 PM »

Honestly, I find it kind of funny that you are all against it.  I didn't really ask if it would work, I asked if you THINK it should be run that way.

I don't think it would run that well right now, no.  There would be to much standing in its way, mostly the fact people just wouldn't go for it because they want to have their own power, etc.

I think a few changes to society though and it'd be feasible.  The one problem would be corruption, which would need to be guarded against by setting in place certain measures.

Namely the problem is todays(the US) gov is not "by the people, for the people" anymore.  People aren't involved and thats one reason shits not getting done..

The Electoral College, Weird Tingly Feeling is that??  Its not the 1700's any more..  it should be 100% popular vote.

I just think the world would be better if it were run by one system.

As for the religions/etc, that could be fixed, but people would be upset.  You move them together and seperate the problem groups.  You intervene and put your god damn foot down.  Theres reasons religions don't get along, the leaders mean nothing, its the PEOPLE that need to change.

eh..

I'm starting to rant..

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 05:42:44 PM »

Namely the problem is todays(the US) gov is not "by the people, for the people" anymore.  People aren't involved and thats one reason shits not getting done..

I for one think TOO MUCH shit is getting done.  We need more obstructions to lawmaking bodies like Congress to keep them from passing more laws so easily.  The more difficult it is, the better.

The Electoral College, Weird Tingly Feeling is that??  Its not the 1700's any more..  it should be 100% popular vote.

Mmmmmm.  Mobocracy.  Because everyone knows that if it's approved of by a majority of voters, it MUST be the best way to govern!

I just think the world would be better if it were run by one system.

What system?  Democracy?  Representative?  Totalitarianist?

As for the religions/etc, that could be fixed, but people would be upset.  You move them together and seperate the problem groups.  You intervene and put your god damn foot down.  Theres reasons religions don't get along, the leaders mean nothing, its the PEOPLE that need to change.

Pardon my saying so, but that's very naive.  I know that will be interpreted as a personal attack, but I really do not mean it to be so.  I'm just pointing out that that is extremely unrealistic and uninformed view of how things work, PARTICULARLY with the world's religious population (which is MOST of the world's population).

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 06:13:50 PM »

I actually think that the world is slowly moving towards one system. If you look at the trend religion is slowly dying, people are becoming educated about each others cultures, and languages are being pushed in school. Not to mention that the world is globalizing. People of all races and religions are all over the place now. There are Americans in every country almost, and many people from other countries are comming here.

I think that sometime, maybe even before my death, governments will pretty much either fade away, or become just other corporations that provide police protection and other civil services. I think that basically the only governing done will be small local and city councils that decide what small scale improvements need to be done. And besides that the world will just be huge multinational companies and a diverse international workforce.
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 06:33:12 PM »

Burbclaves.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 08:16:43 PM »

I actually think that the world is slowly moving towards one system. If you look at the trend religion is slowly dying, people are becoming educated about each others cultures, and languages are being pushed in school. Not to mention that the world is globalizing. People of all races and religions are all over the place now. There are Americans in every country almost, and many people from other countries are comming here.

I think that sometime, maybe even before my death, governments will pretty much either fade away, or become just other corporations that provide police protection and other civil services. I think that basically the only governing done will be small local and city councils that decide what small scale improvements need to be done. And besides that the world will just be huge multinational companies and a diverse international workforce.

That's a bizarre prediction from a utilitarianist. 

I'm not saying it isn't accurate... I actually tend to agree with parts of it.  It is a definite possibility, and in my opinion a positive and optimistic one.  Even one to strive for, depending on a few things.

The reality, however, I suspect will be more like what we read about in the works of Orwell and Phillip K. Dick... probably a lot darker, oppressive, and far less cut-and-dried.  I like to believe that eventually as a society we will aspire to civilized behavior, but I know that is exceedingly unlikely, given our history, our current state of things, and the direction things seem to be going.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 09:46:22 PM »

Religion is not dying. Christianity is certainly have difficulties, but christianity != religion.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 06:02:04 PM »

That's a bizarre prediction from a utilitarianist.

Not saying I'm all gungho about it, but that'd be my guess as to where this is going.

I'm not saying it isn't accurate... I actually tend to agree with parts of it.  It is a definite possibility, and in my opinion a positive and optimistic one.  Even one to strive for, depending on a few things.

I don't know, putting things in favour of a greedy board of directors could be very dangerous.

The reality, however, I suspect will be more like what we read about in the works of Orwell and Phillip K. Dick... probably a lot darker, oppressive, and far less cut-and-dried.  I like to believe that eventually as a society we will aspire to civilized behavior, but I know that is exceedingly unlikely, given our history, our current state of things, and the direction things seem to be going.

Yeah I don't see it working very well, at least a first.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 06:04:03 PM »

Religion is not dying. Christianity is certainly have difficulties, but christianity != religion.

Many of the eastern religions took a hit in earlier decades when their countries went communist. The Jewish and Muslim religions are the only two that haven't felt a few tremors in the 20th century, but I'm sure they will. The muslim nations have yet to liberalize like many other places in the world have.

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 08:03:46 PM »

You don't think religion is dying? What do you think the Puritans would think if they saw Paris Hilton? You don't think they'd believe we have receded into heathenry? I think religion is dying. Its authority and its following dwindles by the year. And while it isn't happening so much with yet with religions other than Christianity and Judaism, it will soon reach them too.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 09:08:08 PM »

We should be fragmenting more governmentally.  Not moving towards a world government.  I've read excerpts from this book and now plan to get it now that it's in reprint

Every people ought to be permitted to choose their own political arrangements, even if they end up in tiny geographical units. With free trade, smaller units of government become completely viable.

Why should I have some Europeans in The Hague telling me how to live my life in Willow Glen, CA?

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 10:02:21 PM »

We should be fragmenting more governmentally.  Not moving towards a world government.  I've read excerpts from this book and now plan to get it now that it's in reprint

Why should I have some Europeans in The Hague telling me how to live my life in Willow Glen, CA?

While I agree with you, some of the little city states would band together and start conquering the others and reform the old empires. People originally started out in little tribes and such. It doesn't work as well as it sounds, mainly for defensive reasons.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 10:07:31 PM »

Every form of government has various advantages and disadvantages. We will never achieve a 'perfect' government. Hardly. Each country has, through various means, found a system of government that 'works'. The trick is to weigh the various advantages and disadvantages of each and somehow create a system to suit the country and the country's needs.

Feel free to shoot holes in that. I didn't exactly word it very well.  :oops:

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 08:02:40 AM »

You don't think religion is dying? What do you think the Puritans would think if they saw Paris Hilton? You don't think they'd believe we have receded into heathenry? I think religion is dying. Its authority and its following dwindles by the year. And while it isn't happening so much with yet with religions other than Christianity and Judaism, it will soon reach them too.

Perhaps I should clarify my point. When I say religion is not dying, I'm not saying it's not changing. Religion may have less control over individuals than it has in the past, and it seems that this trend is growing. However, that doesn't mean religion is going away. The idea of religion and Gods has existed long before the presumed arrival of Jesus. Religions fufill many human needs that have existed for thousands of years, and that still exists today. It allows a person to deal with the unknown and uncertainty of death. It not only helps one cope with the knowledge of ones own mortality, but it also provides comfort when dealing with the death of loved ones. It provides possible answers to fundamental questions such as "Why am I here?". Take a look at the Egyption civilization for example. They had multiple Gods, each one being responsible for a certain aspect of a person's life: God of war, God of death, God of love, etc. The Greek history also references multiple supreme beings and mystical creatures in a similar fashion.

The problems with religion arose when people understood that the "faith" could be exploited. Look at the 9/11 highjackers for example. The actions they did were driven by their faith, not by hatred. They truely beleived that they would be rewarded for their actions. To them it was a personal sacrifice to honor their God. To them, the lives of all the passengers were worthless anyway, but their own life was valuable. And they gave it away, as a tribute to their God. That shows how powerfull blind faith can be. And those who use it as a tool to acheive a mean are very intelligent individuals. It also shows how selfish humans really are because with faith and servitude always comes reward. These people who gave their own lives and took the lives of other only did so because they truely beleived that this was the will of their God, and most importantly because they truely beleived that they would be rewarded for their act. In the end, it is these "terrorist" who were victims of those who manipulate faith so well that they can get a person to do absolutely anything.

Fondamentally however, the questions we ask ourselves regularly, the questions that cannot be answered on our own, will always leave room for religion. For the last 3000 years, when faced with these questions, humans have only ever been able to do two things: Either they accepted the fact that they wouldn't ever be able to answer the questions during their lifetime, or they accepted to beleive a story that provided the answers. Religion has always been the greatest human delusion, yet is as also always been the provider of answers we desperatly seek and need as humans. It's been like that for thousands of years, I don't see that changing in the near future. That's one reason why I claim religion is not dying.

Another reason is this: If you acknowledge that religion can be used effectivly as a tool, then you also acknowledge that there will always be someone out there willing to exploit this tool. Further more, if acknowledge that over time there can be a transition where a religious movement is governed by manipulators, to a religious movement that is governed by beleivers, then you accept that religion itself is in fact immortal. Let me illustrate this last point. Say one man eventually forms a small religious sect. He's only looking to have sex with multiple women and figures that exploiting faith could be a way to acheive this goal. He therefore "fabricates" the doctrine. At some point, he has a son who is raised by his multiple wives who are faithful beleivers of this doctrine. The child grows up and his taught the religion. He also becomes a faithfull beleiver. At some point, his father, the founder of the sect, dies and the son takes over the leadership of the sect. There has been a transition where the leader used to act out of selfishness, manipulating others to attain a specific goal, to a new leader who acts on the actual beleifs. In that sense, relgion can never die, it can only change. That's why we have so many different religions on earth. Theres always a person willing to exploit it, and there's always a person willing to beleive in it.

Forgive me for derailing this thread. Perhaps we can start a new thread with this topic if people want to discuss it further.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 08:08:31 AM by TheJudge »

12AX7

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 08:21:04 AM »

+2 !! (I'll come back in an hour)  That was an excellent piece, Judge. I'm always impressed with your serious replies; you obviously put so much into them. Commendations!  :D

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2006, 08:28:42 AM »

*blushes*

You know, the book of Judgism does say "Thou shall always make an effort when making serious replies in the intraweb". Perhaps you would like to learn more about Judgism?  :-D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4