The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 09:40:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129621
  • Total Topics: 7185
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Should the world be run by one system?  (Read 21297 times)

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
Re: Should the world be run by one system?
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2006, 09:13:48 AM »

We should be fragmenting more governmentally.  Not moving towards a world government.  I've read excerpts from this book and now plan to get it now that it's in reprint

Why should I have some Europeans in The Hague telling me how to live my life in Willow Glen, CA?

There is only the international court of justice, I think you mean Brussels. :evil:

I don't care which system runs the world as long as it is not MAC OS

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 12:47:42 PM »

*blushes*

You know, the book of Judgism does say "Thou shall always make an effort when making serious replies in the intraweb". Perhaps you would like to learn more about Judgism?  :-D
* BizB drinks the kool-aid
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

derry

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 04:42:45 PM »

Then as one entity(the world) we could allocate resources to where they need to be and re-arrange things a bit to be more suited to peaceful relations..

The problem is there is no "we" at that point...those in power would allocate resources as "they" saw fit. World government is nothing but enslavement on a global scale, but it is coming. It is happening right now and everything in the news relates to it (illegal immigration/border issue for example). For some time our Government has been dismantling America in favour of an entire Western Hemisphere trading block...similar to EU and Asia/Pacific. The plan is to eventually merge the major trading blocks into one World Union. The President following Bush will continue to destroy America and it's Constitution....of course, it will come under the guise - "it's for our own good". We will be forced to deal with mammoth debt and crisis after crisis...the ground work has and is being laid right now as we argue over partisan political issues. The new Constitution and Government will "seem" like a welcome relief. Last year "they" tried to ram the new EU Constitution down the throats of European citizens...thankfully they voted it down, but it's only a matter of time. Similar to the proposed EU Constitution, the New American Constitution will strip power away from the local/national level in all areas...to the oligarchs..the transnational bankers, industrialists, media barons, and corporate sluts. The politicians, media, etc. like us to believe there is a checker game going on out there....event/response, event/response....but no, they're playing chess and we aren't allowed to see that far down the road.

12AX7

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 04:47:41 PM »

The plan ...
You've seen this plan, too? I have a copy.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 05:29:09 PM »

Phase 3--profit.

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2006, 06:49:54 AM »

It's a really old plan

rogue_77

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-11
  • Realities a mere illusion, albeit a persistent one
    • View Profile
    • Mindblogling!
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2006, 07:43:43 PM »

2 things..

I almost completely agree with Derry.  I think the government knows what its doing.  I think there are meetings going on behind closed doors that are forming relations and giving corporations more power.  I think the US government is in for a BIG downfall in the next 20-30 years.  The world will be changed in that time.  Maybe the US will sell itself out completely to corporations just for profit..  My question is where the hell can I go to get away from the problems the US is creating for itself because I, for one, am ashamed of this government and hows its run, and 2, I want NO NO part in trying to help the gov solve its problem it created for itself by paying more taxes or giving more liberities or persona freedom to the system???

Second..

I didn't read the whole presidental speech link, but I looked at the last line which says "May He guide us now. And may God continue to bless the United States of America. (Applause.)"  I just find this bullshit, if I may say.  Isn't that just a form of bias?  Shouldn't there be seperation of god(in any form) and state?  Should religion be able to be brought up in state speeches, like praise god, or bless us all...  I for one am spiritual, but not religious.  I think this is a form of bible thumping(which seems to be what the US is about these days)..

And 3rd..

I believe in a system like "1984."  I think its totalitarism, a system where people are either to scared to question authority or are completely brainwashed not to.  The thing with this is that this system does work, but it could be run correctly, run right, and still be that way.  The other problem is corruption.  There would need to be a system setup to void any corruption, under penalty of extreme death...

Personally, I would probably rather rule by fear then by hope..

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2006, 09:20:12 PM »

2 things..

I almost completely agree with Derry.  I think the government knows what its doing.  I think there are meetings going on behind closed doors that are forming relations and giving corporations more power.  I think the US government is in for a BIG downfall in the next 20-30 years.  The world will be changed in that time.  Maybe the US will sell itself out completely to corporations just for profit..  My question is where the hell can I go to get away from the problems the US is creating for itself because I, for one, am ashamed of this government and hows its run, and 2, I want NO NO part in trying to help the gov solve its problem it created for itself by paying more taxes or giving more liberities or persona freedom to the system???

I think you're going a little far here. Not saying I'm a fan of the government, or that I don't think there is corruption, or even that bussiness interests are being assisted by those in power. However, I don't think their planning to send the country under over it. They wouldn't, they'd lose everything they built. They'll keep the U.S. going out of a greed if nothing else.

Second..

I didn't read the whole presidental speech link, but I looked at the last line which says "May He guide us now. And may God continue to bless the United States of America. (Applause.)"  I just find this bullshit, if I may say.  Isn't that just a form of bias?  Shouldn't there be seperation of god(in any form) and state?  Should religion be able to be brought up in state speeches, like praise god, or bless us all...  I for one am spiritual, but not religious.  I think this is a form of bible thumping(which seems to be what the US is about these days)..

You can thank good old Ike for undoing all the seperation of church and state our senators worked to achieve. I seriously hate this as well and wish for it to end.

And 3rd..

I believe in a system like "1984."  I think its totalitarism, a system where people are either to scared to question authority or are completely brainwashed not to.  The thing with this is that this system does work, but it could be run correctly, run right, and still be that way.  The other problem is corruption.  There would need to be a system setup to void any corruption, under penalty of extreme death...

Personally, I would probably rather rule by fear then by hope..

See, you're clearly misguided, and here is why. Smart people are the ones who speak against the government. They're called the inteligensia. Under the current system said individuals are the ones making good money and earning 6-7 figure salaries by their early thirties. Why would they speak out? I bet there are plenty of people on this forum who hate the government, but don't want to jepordize their own pay stubs by doing anything radical, because they're making good money and watching out for their own self interest.
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2006, 05:03:40 PM »

I bet there are plenty of people on this forum who hate the government, but don't want to jepordize their own pay stubs by doing anything radical, because they're making good money and watching out for their own self interest.

Here.

I'm a loudmouth about my opinions on government and politics, but only where appropriate.  I don't discuss religion or politics at work because it's unprofessional and frankly detrimental to a positive work environment.  I wouldn't want to be one to be the cause of that.

Some of that is admittedly self-interest -- my views on religion and politics are not what most would consider "mainstream", and I know how some people react to those of my particular world views.  Evonus, you are probably as aware as I am how many religious people will treat you differently once they discover that you're an infidel.

Though I'm nowhere near "ashamed" of my beliefs, I don't like that being the topic for general conversation where I work.  It makes people uncomfortable.  People are touchy about religion, and since so much politics these days is hopelessly intertwined with the subject of religion (  :roll: ), I avoid that as well.

So it's not all about self-interest.  It's also just being considerate.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2006, 05:16:46 PM »

Here.

I'm a loudmouth about my opinions on government and politics, but only where appropriate.  I don't discuss religion or politics at work because it's unprofessional and frankly detrimental to a positive work environment.  I wouldn't want to be one to be the cause of that.

Some of that is admittedly self-interest -- my views on religion and politics are not what most would consider "mainstream", and I know how some people react to those of my particular world views.  Evonus, you are probably as aware as I am how many religious people will treat you differently once they discover that you're an infidel.

Though I'm nowhere near "ashamed" of my beliefs, I don't like that being the topic for general conversation where I work.  It makes people uncomfortable.  People are touchy about religion, and since so much politics these days is hopelessly intertwined with the subject of religion (  :roll: ), I avoid that as well.

So it's not all about self-interest.  It's also just being considerate.

Well, but I mean you could've gone on strike in response to Bush's reelection or became a protestor and such, but you'd rather live a comfortable life and try to let the system work itself out, and that's how most people are. I'm not criticizing, I'm the same way, only I have gone off at people at work or at school for religious and political views, but I don't hold it against their character after the fact.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2006, 04:12:52 PM »

Well, but I mean you could've gone on strike in response to Bush's reelection or became a protestor and such, but you'd rather live a comfortable life and try to let the system work itself out, and that's how most people are.

But what would that have accomplished (other than my ending up in poverty)?

When it comes to meaningful protest, effective avenues are few and far between.  I consider it reasonable to raise awareness of what I see as important issues whenever appropriate, which I do see as being effective when done right.  Many people will listen to reason if presented with a logical argument.

Getting myself fired from my job would enact no real political change in this country.... keeping my job and enabling my "voice" does, however small a change that may be.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2006, 12:44:03 AM »

There is a nifty system that I think deserves a chance, and Anarchy is her name. I'm very interested to see what the result would be if people were left to their own devices (my personal theory is that eventually government would re-assert itself as the natural leaders take control, unless the government that fell sucked so bad that kids were taught that it sucked so they never made it again).
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2006, 06:49:41 PM »

There is a nifty system that I think deserves a chance, and Anarchy is her name. I'm very interested to see what the result would be if people were left to their own devices (my personal theory is that eventually government would re-assert itself as the natural leaders take control, unless the government that fell sucked so bad that kids were taught that it sucked so they never made it again).

I think the human race would die out, because someone would release some toxic chemical, or set off a nuke, or release an uncureable plague upon us all. Not to mention everyone would basically have to resort to farming(which wouldn't work well in areas where there is concrete.) Also, all knowledge and everything that was built over the last 7000 years or whatever would be forgotten or destroyed in favour of survival.

Seriously, no offense to you, but when people propose anarchy, I really want to slap them. When anarchy did exist was when homo sapien-sapiens were first comming into existance. They had no knowledge to pass on, they hadn't reshaped the earth yet, and they hadn't made weapons that could kill billions and torch the planet into a wasteland in mere seconds.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2006, 06:53:49 PM »

+1 well said.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2006, 10:16:58 PM »

<snip>
Not to mention everyone would basically have to resort to farming(which wouldn't work well in areas where there is concrete.) <snip>
This statement implies that business would cease to exist.  Why do you think that?
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2006, 10:38:10 PM »

I think the human race would die out, because someone would release some toxic chemical, or set off a nuke, or release an uncureable plague upon us all. Not to mention everyone would basically have to resort to farming(which wouldn't work well in areas where there is concrete.) Also, all knowledge and everything that was built over the last 7000 years or whatever would be forgotten or destroyed in favour of survival.

Seriously, no offense to you, but when people propose anarchy, I really want to slap them. When anarchy did exist was when homo sapien-sapiens were first comming into existance. They had no knowledge to pass on, they hadn't reshaped the earth yet, and they hadn't made weapons that could kill billions and torch the planet into a wasteland in mere seconds.

Firstly, there's enough danger of some maniac letting loose a doomsday device already, just watch the news if you don't believe me...governments aren't helping there. Also, I don't see why everyone would need to be farmers, I think most professions could keep going with no government.

Interestingly, your second paragraph seems to sort of negate the first. I'd hardly regard the reshaping of the earth, or the development of giant weapons as being good things, or in any way indicative of a sound and advanced society.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2006, 07:26:01 AM »

Firstly, there's enough danger of some maniac letting loose a doomsday device already, just watch the news if you don't believe me...governments aren't helping there.

Excuse me? Governements are intervening every day in various ways. Just watch the news if you don't beleive me.  :roll:

Perhaps most professions could keep going under anarchy, but there would be serious changes in how they actually work and these woudl not be positive changes. Under Anarchy, there are no regulations to protect consumers. It's the jungle out there and the strong will crush the weak. With anarchy, coalitions of individuals take over and fairness and transparency isn't their motives. This is an envrionement where the mafia, for example, can really exercice influence and control. People cannot individually self-regulate the world in a fair manner. I'm not saying governement are 100% fair, but they are certainly pressured to do so and are closely watched both by their citizens and by other governements. In Anarchy, who's going to pressure criminal organizations? You?

How does global anarchy affect global economy? If the stock market is influenced by certain groups who consitenlty perform illegal transactions (which wouldn't be illegal under anarchy, but highly unfair to everyone regardless), then do you think intelligent people will have any interest in investing in the stock market in the long run, when they keep getting screwed over and over? Will anarchy lead to the collapse of our global economy? If so, that would also lead to the closure of thousands of businesses, job cuts, salary cuts, and record high unemployement rates. Victims of this situation would have no choice but to turn to unfair practices such as theft and murder to survive in your crazy world.

How does anarchy influence international trade? Will countires still be able to rally together and sanction imports and exports, use tarrifs and other means as a way to influence decision makers who lead other countries? Will any country leaders be able to do as they please, without regards for their citizens, without regard for the world?

Don't forget that even if there are no governements in place, their will always be leaders in place and there is no way to change that. If those leaders have "carte blanche", then anarchy will lead to violence, and war. Under those conditions, Anarchy cannot exist for a long period of time because when people are treated unfairly, they revolt, they form groups, they take control and you eventually end back to some form of governement. During that process, countless innocent individuals suffer and die, which in turn fuels generations of hatred, stereotype, and racism.

Many governments have limitations and they are subject to laws. We have a legal system in place that allows for a single person to challenge governement actions. You won't have these control systems in place with anarchy.

If you're just throwing the word anarchy around because you think it's cool, then don't bother. If you care to illustrate with examples how anarchy would be a positive system and how it would enhance our quality of life, then please do so.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2006, 04:52:53 PM »

Excuse me? Governements are intervening every day in various ways. Just watch the news if you don't beleive me.  :roll:

Perhaps most professions could keep going under anarchy, but there would be serious changes in how they actually work and these woudl not be positive changes. Under Anarchy, there are no regulations to protect consumers. It's the jungle out there and the strong will crush the weak. With anarchy, coalitions of individuals take over and fairness and transparency isn't their motives. This is an envrionement where the mafia, for example, can really exercice influence and control. People cannot individually self-regulate the world in a fair manner. I'm not saying governement are 100% fair, but they are certainly pressured to do so and are closely watched both by their citizens and by other governements. In Anarchy, who's going to pressure criminal organizations? You?

How does global anarchy affect global economy? If the stock market is influenced by certain groups who consitenlty perform illegal transactions (which wouldn't be illegal under anarchy, but highly unfair to everyone regardless), then do you think intelligent people will have any interest in investing in the stock market in the long run, when they keep getting screwed over and over? Will anarchy lead to the collapse of our global economy? If so, that would also lead to the closure of thousands of businesses, job cuts, salary cuts, and record high unemployement rates. Victims of this situation would have no choice but to turn to unfair practices such as theft and murder to survive in your crazy world.

How does anarchy influence international trade? Will countires still be able to rally together and sanction imports and exports, use tarrifs and other means as a way to influence decision makers who lead other countries? Will any country leaders be able to do as they please, without regards for their citizens, without regard for the world?

Don't forget that even if there are no governements in place, their will always be leaders in place and there is no way to change that. If those leaders have "carte blanche", then anarchy will lead to violence, and war. Under those conditions, Anarchy cannot exist for a long period of time because when people are treated unfairly, they revolt, they form groups, they take control and you eventually end back to some form of governement. During that process, countless innocent individuals suffer and die, which in turn fuels generations of hatred, stereotype, and racism.

Many governments have limitations and they are subject to laws. We have a legal system in place that allows for a single person to challenge governement actions. You won't have these control systems in place with anarchy.

If you're just throwing the word anarchy around because you think it's cool, then don't bother. If you care to illustrate with examples how anarchy would be a positive system and how it would enhance our quality of life, then please do so.

I think a while back I said that I'd be interested to see how it would turn out, and you ended up repeating one of the voiced hypothesies (the return to government).

Who would keep the crazies and perverts and killers in check in a govermentless society? Me indeed, a whole lot of me in fact. Every single "me" in the society would have to do their part to look out for one another, instead of relying on the cops to solve every problem.

Here's an interesting example about control systems that allow single people to challenge the government. How about the natives who lived in north america before they were deplaced and told where to live? How about about the promise of a certain president that they would soon get it back? A whole PILE of them have voiced their opinions about such matters, but I haven't seen either north american government give much of a shit (sorry, forgot Mexico there, but as far as I know they haven't done any of that).

Here's another example of the government screwing people over, this one from Canada. As I recall, we originally had no taxes at all, then we got them as a temporary measure during wartime. A long time's gone by and we still have taxes, despite what the government said.

The control systems in place are a complete joke, history is rife with examples of governments who break their own rules to get things done.

And lastly no, I'm not a person who tosses around buzzwords because they sound cool, I did at least put some measure of thought into this before piping up.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 09:04:26 PM by Agent_Tachyon »

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2006, 06:30:27 PM »

This statement implies that business would cease to exist.  Why do you think that?

Because it would collapse from the ground up. Why would any cashier just not clean out their cash register at the end of the day? What's to stop me from walking into a bank, and killing everyone in there and taking all they have to offer. What's to stop me from killing my neighbors and taking their land? Absolutley nothing. In all reality, I work in a chemical plant, what's to stop the whole bunch of us from going to work one day, and holding the city ransom, saying unless they pay us X amount of money we dump all our toxic chemicals into the river. The system would collapse in a week.

Firstly, there's enough danger of some maniac letting loose a doomsday device already, just watch the news if you don't believe me...governments aren't helping there.

lol, fox news told me about the bad people. But seriously, governments very rarely hold the world for ransom at the price of destroying their competitors, but with no real groups to regulate them individuals could. The only maniac to ever detonate a doomsday device was Harry S. Truman.

Also, I don't see why everyone would need to be farmers, I think most professions could keep going with no government.

So every farmer in a region forms a cartel and starts charging 500 dollars for an ear of corn. How are you going to deal with that? You'd have to be a farmer as well, and that would force everyone back to farming.

Interestingly, your second paragraph seems to sort of negate the first. I'd hardly regard the reshaping of the earth, or the development of giant weapons as being good things, or in any way indicative of a sound and advanced society.

Well whether they are good or not is up for debate. I consider both to be good, but we don't need to get into that; however, I never said they were good in my previous post. I just said that anarchy worked in the caveman days, but won't now because the world has changed so much due to human development.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2006, 08:57:31 PM »

Because it would collapse from the ground up. Why would any cashier just not clean out their cash register at the end of the day? What's to stop me from walking into a bank, and killing everyone in there and taking all they have to offer. What's to stop me from killing my neighbors and taking their land? Absolutley nothing. In all reality, I work in a chemical plant, what's to stop the whole bunch of us from going to work one day, and holding the city ransom, saying unless they pay us X amount of money we dump all our toxic chemicals into the river. The system would collapse in a week.

lol, fox news told me about the bad people. But seriously, governments very rarely hold the world for ransom at the price of destroying their competitors, but with no real groups to regulate them individuals could. The only maniac to ever detonate a doomsday device was Harry S. Truman.

So every farmer in a region forms a cartel and starts charging 500 dollars for an ear of corn. How are you going to deal with that? You'd have to be a farmer as well, and that would force everyone back to farming.

Well whether they are good or not is up for debate. I consider both to be good, but we don't need to get into that; however, I never said they were good in my previous post. I just said that anarchy worked in the caveman days, but won't now because the world has changed so much due to human development.

What is stopping you from doing any of those things NOW? All the police departments are is a mass of people with weapons.

The very fact that all those things could and WOULD happen in anarchy would just hasten the sense of responsability that the population would soon feel to band together for their mutual protection. One of the best things about a society with no rulers is that people would indeed be free to do whatever the hell they pleased. With this ability comes the freedom to not give half a shit about money whatsoever.

I'd be willing to bet that after a while, people would realize that money isn't real at all and would cease caring about it.

There are people who, for one reason or another, just love farming for no particular reason at all, and would happily do that if given the opportunity, so not everyone would have to.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2006, 11:00:28 PM »

What is stopping you from doing any of those things NOW? All the police departments are is a mass of people with weapons.

You're forgetting one crucial thing. They are coordinated. A bunch of citizens with guns can not hope to compete with a vast network of law enforcement. I mean I could rob a jewlery store and flee the neighborhood, and once I got outside a certain radius the word would never travel fast enough and I would be a free man.

You don't seem to understand or appreciate the very delicate network of careers that blend together to make a society. There are some unfortunate leeches on the system who contribute little, but the basic idea still stands that everyone does a job and all together these jobs work and coordinate in unison to make society.

The very fact that all those things could and WOULD happen in anarchy would just hasten the sense of responsability that the population would soon feel to band together for their mutual protection.

But they never would. You'd either end up with some sort of a mafia, which would lead the world back into fuedalism over time, or you would have complete and utter chaos, because people don't care about each other, they only care about themselves and their offspring. They would just as soon kill each other as cooperate to get ahead. I know what you're saying, in the long run if everyone cooperated we would have a utopia, but people don't think long term, especially not when faced with starvation.

One of the best things about a society with no rulers is that people would indeed be free to do whatever the hell they pleased. With this ability comes the freedom to not give half a shit about money whatsoever.

I'd be willing to bet that after a while, people would realize that money isn't real at all and would cease caring about it.

And without money things wouldn't work period. What would you use as a medium of exchange? Bartering? That doesn't work large scale. If you didn't use anything, and just expected people to work just to keep society going I'd say you're gravely mistaken. No one would work. The vast majority of people would just try to live without doing anything to contribute to see if they could get away with it.

There are people who, for one reason or another, just love farming for no particular reason at all, and would happily do that if given the opportunity, so not everyone would have to.

Yes, but they, like everyone, would want to get something out of it. Right now farmers can't organize, and farming is heavily controlled and subsidized. If farmers could organize, do you realize how much you'd have to give up to get food. Nothing is more important than food in the long term. They would hold the keys to survival. We would all be at the mercy of farmers, unless we all took it upon ourselves to farm.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2006, 11:25:52 PM »

You're forgetting one crucial thing. They are coordinated. A bunch of citizens with guns can not hope to compete with a vast network of law enforcement. I mean I could rob a jewlery store and flee the neighborhood, and once I got outside a certain radius the word would never travel fast enough and I would be a free man.

You don't seem to understand or appreciate the very delicate network of careers that blend together to make a society. There are some unfortunate leeches on the system

who contribute little, but the basic idea still stands that everyone does a job and all together these jobs work and coordinate in unison to make society.

But they never would. You'd either end up with some sort of a mafia, which would lead the world back into fuedalism over time, or you would have complete and utter chaos, because people don't care about each other, they only care about themselves and their offspring. They would just as soon kill each other as cooperate to get ahead. I know what you're saying, in the long run if everyone cooperated we would have a utopia, but people don't think long term, especially not when faced with starvation.

And without money things wouldn't work period. What would you use as a medium of exchange? Bartering? That doesn't work large scale. If you didn't use anything, and just expected people to work just to keep society going I'd say you're gravely mistaken. No one would work. The vast majority of people would just try to live without doing anything to contribute to see if they could get away with it.

Yes, but they, like everyone, would want to get something out of it. Right now farmers can't organize, and farming is heavily controlled and subsidized. If farmers could organize, do you realize how much you'd have to give up to get food. Nothing is more important than food in the long term. They would hold the keys to survival. We would all be at the mercy of farmers, unless we all took it upon ourselves to farm.

Firstly, thank you very much for taking the time to consider my points, I appreciate it very much.

My ideal Anarchist community is based primarily on a modified version of what I know of Native Americans (autochtones, indians, whatever you call them nowaday, pre-European contact), Hutterites, the Amish, and similar things. Yes, those all had leaders of one sort or another, but I think the primary thing that they had going for them is the overwhelming sense of family and togetherness.

In these societies, everyone has/had something to do. If somebody was seriously disruptive and destructive to the community, the community tends to all pitch in to find what's wrong and how to help this person. If they can't be helped, they're exiled to somewhere where they can't hurt anyone.

If anarchy were implimented in the correct manner, I believe that people could go back to realizing that we're all just a truckload of monkey flying on a wet ball of mud through a void, and we'd all do well to help each other out. It HAS been done before, and I think it could be done again. Most of the population (around 98% I'd say) is unready for that sort of thinking, self-serving beings we are these days, but who knows.

That is the true key and advantage to such a system. If everyone cared about everyone else's well being, the community would never allow someone to go hungry or any such thing. Every person would be the police, blah blah blah.

As for the first comment about bank robbery, you've got the right idea. The police are well trained, armed, and organized monkeys to be sure, but this can also be a weakness. A bunch of riled up citizens with guns could be found and stopped, but only if they were a true organization, that is, in communication with each other, and aware of each other's actions. A movement on the other hand, where each member follows the general idea, but each operates autonomously, could keep going. The members need never even meet one another, simply being aware of their comrades' existance could be enough to keep them going. This serves the dual point of never allowing an individual member to realize the movement's true size, or anything else that could be useful to the authorities.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2006, 06:44:05 AM »

The very fact that all those things could and WOULD happen in anarchy would just hasten the sense of responsability that the population would soon feel to band together for their mutual protection. One of the best things about a society with no rulers is that people would indeed be free to do whatever the hell they pleased. With this ability comes the freedom to not give half a shit about money whatsoever.
If people would band together for their mutual protection, then they'll end up forming some kind of authority and will enforce some sort of behaviors. Why... you could almost call them laws! (which contradicts what anarchy is). People would eventually from some kind of governement, it is inevitable so why even bother going trough an anarchy period if you're just going to end abck the way you started?

Currency is a modern tool to that enables transactions between individuals. While it's not perfect, it's the most efficient tool we ever came up with. There is no relation between anarchy and money. Anarchy doesn't lead to a currency free society.

What stops you from doing any of those thigns NOW?

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2006, 09:14:41 PM »

Firstly, thank you very much for taking the time to consider my points, I appreciate it very much.

Are you being serious or sarcastic?

My ideal Anarchist community is based primarily on a modified version of what I know of Native Americans (autochtones, indians, whatever you call them nowaday, pre-European contact), Hutterites, the Amish, and similar things. Yes, those all had leaders of one sort or another, but I think the primary thing that they had going for them is the overwhelming sense of family and togetherness.

In these societies, everyone has/had something to do. If somebody was seriously disruptive and destructive to the community, the community tends to all pitch in to find what's wrong and how to help this person. If they can't be helped, they're exiled to somewhere where they can't hurt anyone.

If anarchy were implimented in the correct manner, I believe that people could go back to realizing that we're all just a truckload of monkey flying on a wet ball of mud through a void, and we'd all do well to help each other out. It HAS been done before, and I think it could be done again. Most of the population (around 98% I'd say) is unready for that sort of thinking, self-serving beings we are these days, but who knows.

You're forgetting one major thing. When that system worked, it worked in small groups. It doesn't work in large groups, because most people don't care about those they have never and probably will never meet.

That is the true key and advantage to such a system. If everyone cared about everyone else's well being, the community would never allow someone to go hungry or any such thing. Every person would be the police, blah blah blah.

Yes but all this was back before land and resources were scarce. Have you seen the population density of America during those times?

As for the first comment about bank robbery, you've got the right idea. The police are well trained, armed, and organized monkeys to be sure, but this can also be a weakness. A bunch of riled up citizens with guns could be found and stopped, but only if they were a true organization, that is, in communication with each other, and aware of each other's actions. A movement on the other hand, where each member follows the general idea, but each operates autonomously, could keep going. The members need never even meet one another, simply being aware of their comrades' existance could be enough to keep them going. This serves the dual point of never allowing an individual member to realize the movement's true size, or anything else that could be useful to the authorities.

It's not a weakness. We've never seen the police stopped in this country.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2006, 09:41:51 PM »

We've never seen the police stopped in this country.

Not true.

Otherwise, +1
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4