The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 04:51:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 153
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Is it constitutional?  (Read 2606 times)

KoRNexpressor

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +0/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dextroverse.org
Is it constitutional?
« on: November 06, 2002, 10:35:30 AM »

Is it constitutional to view someone elses actions in ClassLink2000 secretly without thier knowledge, and without any warrent? Sounds like invasion of privacy to me.
Pink Floyd is Good, Opeth is good, Insane Rants are good. I am jusy trying to make myself happy, damnit.

-Keith

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Is it constitutional?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2002, 12:12:40 PM »

It depends.  In some situations (like using equipment belonging to an employer or to a school, for instance) using the equipment to begin with implies consent to having one's actions monitored.

Trying to look at pr0n at school again, Korn?  Tsk tsk..... :lol:

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

KoRNexpressor

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +0/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dextroverse.org
Is it constitutional?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2002, 03:48:14 PM »

t depends. In some situations (like using equipment belonging to an employer or to a school, for instance) using the equipment to begin with implies consent to having one's actions monitored.

Trying to look at pr0n at school again, Korn? Tsk tsk.....

I wasn't looking at pr3N. I was saying "God, this is so SLOW." when I was trying to go to these forums (If our school had T 65,535 it would still be slow)
Pink Floyd is Good, Opeth is good, Insane Rants are good. I am jusy trying to make myself happy, damnit.

-Keith

Anonymous

Is it constitutional?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2002, 04:51:41 PM »

They use Light Path for their bandwidth at school. I looked into getting that service a while back for increased bandwidth and as well as being able to host websites and other stuff that they don't allow you to do legally with the normal cable account. I believe the speed of that service is about 2 megs a second each way, up and down. In order for it to be slow, there has to be a lot of people going to sites with a decent amount of graphics and other bandwidth intensive programs. IE: Candystand.com

The price of that each month is 100 dollars. A little too much for me.

SeK612

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-8
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dreamwater.net/cult/
Is it constitutional?
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2002, 05:34:26 PM »

Yea my school supposedly has a lightening fast net connection but it still runs as slow as hell most of the time (although people do spend a phenomenal amount of time on site like candystand and Shockwave - and the fact that we have about 200 P.C's all accessing the net at once). I'm not sure what "ClassLink2000" is but at our school we've got some outside company which monitors everything we do on the net and pages we access - not sure whether they store passwords and stuff and other confidential info but I wouldn't put it past them. Still our government and other agencies are apparently trying to gain access to emails and stuff and no doubt places like MI5 and 6 can do so pretty easily without breaking the law and without us knowing. It’s just a fact of life that the internet is not as "free" as before.

Funnies: 123

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Is it constitutional?
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2002, 10:03:32 PM »

Rather sad, isn't it?

Anonymous

Is it constitutional?
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2002, 10:05:08 PM »

"Classlink" is a client/server program used to make a network administrator's job a little bit easier. You have "thin clients" which have little more than a motherboard with on board video, on board sound and a monitor to go with it connected to a server. This server transmits everything to client. Everything, even including the desktop you look at.

This system also gives students the ability to login from home and use it as if they were sitting at a computer in school.

I'm sure loggin in from a place outside of school might take up a good deal of bandwidth, but I don't think it would slow down a two meg mb/sec pipeline.