The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 03:17:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 148
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: EXE. files wont work, virus????  (Read 4329 times)

Kinky Clown

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
EXE. files wont work, virus????
« on: November 07, 2002, 05:28:01 PM »

This may sound a lil bizarre, but yesterday i ran a virus check with Norton 2k3 be4 I went to bed. It said it detected and deleted 13 infected files, so I felt good, shut it down and went to bed. Today, nothing that is an exe. files work! It gives me an error message sayin it cant find the exe. file, and that I needed to type the name in correctly...
I cant even run a virus check with Norton (its also an exe. file), i right click on it, went to find target, and try opening it from there, but still no luck. My hard drive still has the files, and i fear that I will have to reformat it.

My current OS is window XP

Can any1 here help? :oops:  :oops:  :?:

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2002, 07:26:44 PM »

You can't just go deleting infected files willy-nilly, busterino.

You gots ta check to make sure they're not essential first.

My advice is to try windows restore (if it'll let you), and failing that, re-install.

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +72/-1
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2002, 03:02:33 AM »

If no exe's will work, how did you manage to run your browser?
"Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!" -- JR "Bob" Dobbs

SeK612

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-8
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dreamwater.net/cult/
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2002, 04:24:44 AM »

If no exe's will work, how did you manage to run your browse

At a guess I would say he's using another computer  :P  

I don't really have a solution for your problem but a good tip is if you don't know what it is leave it well alone - this is coming from the experience of having wiped out folders of "program files" at a click of a button and deleting a few simple .dll files that caused my P.C to slowly unravel piece by piece. Whenever Norton picks up such files its best to try and quarantine then first and do a little reading about them. If they are stated as being damaging to your P.C and its o.k. to uninstall them then do so. If they're not just leave them in quarantine.

SeK 612

Funnies: 123

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2002, 08:01:03 AM »

actullay, I've been hit by that before. There was a virus in my system that activated only when I ran the virus scan. What it does is that it changes some registery settings to fool your computer. If you give me the exact error message, I can find the solution to your problem.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2002, 02:28:03 PM »

Check to see if you get a message similar to: "Windows cannot find SirC32.exe" when you run any exe files. Sircam is one possibility of this virus you have been hit with. However, there are many other variants of this trojan. I need to know exactly what the message is before I can help you.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2002, 02:41:47 PM »

Forgot to add... In the mean time, if you still want to use some applications such as Internet explorer, you can always rename the file in DOS mode from "filename.exe" to "filename.com" but just keep track of what chanes you made. You'll probably want to rename them back to their original names once the problem has been taken care of.

Kinky Clown

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
the message.....
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2002, 04:24:17 PM »

For example, i double click on the acrobat reader.exe

the message says "windows cannot find c:program....acrobat reader......, make sure you type the name correctly and try again try search.."

:roll:

Netrack

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2002, 12:13:17 AM »

rebot and hold down F8 it might be F5  before you get the starting windows screen, go into safe mode, then goto start-accessories-system tools- system restore. then select a date to when you know for sure your computer worked fine.... follow the steps and you should be good to go

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2002, 10:54:59 PM »

I was hoping for another message. Well, you can at least check out the following, but read my entire message before you click the link.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.shorm.b.html

Here is a website with the solution to a virus similar than yours. Just rename your regedit.exe to regedit.com in DOS mode. then launch regedit and pay special attention to the following part:
-------------------------------------------
Modify the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\exefile\shell\open\command subkey that is shown in the following figure:

<<=== NOTE: Modify this key.

2. In the right pane, double-click the (Default) value.
3. Delete the current value data, and then type: "%1" %* (That is, type the following characters: quote-percent-one-quote-space-percent-asterisk.)

NOTES:
Under Windows 95/98/Me/NT, the Registry Editor automatically encloses the value within quotation marks. When you click OK, the (Default) value should look exactly like this:

""%1" %*"  

Under Windows 2000/XP, the additional quotation marks will not appear. When you click OK, the (Default) value should look exactly like this:

"%1" %*

Make sure that you completely delete all value data in the command key before you type the correct data. If you leave a space at the beginning of the entry, any attempt to run program files will result in the error message, "Windows cannot find .exe." If this happens to you, start over at the beginning of this document, and make sure that you completely remove the current value data.
--------------------

Just make sure that you set the right default value. And do not play with the registery if you don't know what you are doing. It could make thiings worst.

Hope this helps a little.