The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 07:38:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129620
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Saddam has left the building...  (Read 20044 times)

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
Re: Saddam has left the building...
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007, 10:39:25 PM »

My opposition to the death penalty and my arborphilia are completely unrelated!

dictionary.com does not explain your word. What does it mean?
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 10:43:52 PM »

Wow. Don't they teach anything in English anymore?

arbor = of trees
philia = a root meaning "to love"

Therefore, "love of trees."

Tree-hugging hippies are smarter than you.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2007, 11:14:25 PM »

I'm a cat-hugging hippie

* pbsaurus hugs cat

12AX7

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 11:29:32 PM »

I'm a cat-hugging hippie

* pbsaurus hugs cat
Me = too!  :-)

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2007, 12:46:52 AM »

Heya 12! Welcome back! Did you have a good New Year's?

12AX7

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2007, 08:24:38 AM »

Hey! Thanks!
 Yeh, it was alright. I actually had to work, but i was off for two weeks just before that, so.. its all good. I still have 80 hours of vacation time carried over from last year, lol.
 During my time off I've got my studio *almost* finished. All that's left to do is stain some wood trim, trim out a window, and hook up all the cabling.  :-D  Yeh; I'm happy about it!
 So how's things been wid choo?

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2007, 09:46:39 AM »

Being an atheist I believe there is nothing after this one. I am also against the death penalty for the same reason as PB and I am also a 50 % tree hugging hippy. I think Saddam should been sentenced to life in prison and with that I mean a life in prison, the whole old-fashioned no tv prison thing also no visitors. He is bad to the bone and should be punished accordingly. Being locked-up like that is a bigger punishment then death. Your life is totally worthles. Being hanged like him is a snap, neck is broken while he is choked at the same time. So it is gone in a flash, does Saddam notice ? According to my beliefs, no. He just isn't there anymore. So there is no punishment, it is even a relief.

If someone gives me the choice between being imprisoned for the rest of my life, on really crappy food, no visitors, no fresh air, just sit in a cell and that's it or a swift death, I would choose death.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2007, 03:55:26 PM »

Wow. Don't they teach anything in English anymore?

arbor = of trees
philia = a root meaning "to love"

Therefore, "love of trees."

Tree-hugging hippies are smarter than you.

Actually Arbor and philia are both from Latin. So the correct question would be, do they teach Latin anymore, and the answer is no.

Being an atheist I believe there is nothing after this one. I am also against the death penalty for the same reason as PB and I am also a 50 % tree hugging hippy. I think Saddam should been sentenced to life in prison and with that I mean a life in prison, the whole old-fashioned no tv prison thing also no visitors. He is bad to the bone and should be punished accordingly. Being locked-up like that is a bigger punishment then death. Your life is totally worthles. Being hanged like him is a snap, neck is broken while he is choked at the same time. So it is gone in a flash, does Saddam notice ? According to my beliefs, no. He just isn't there anymore. So there is no punishment, it is even a relief.

If someone gives me the choice between being imprisoned for the rest of my life, on really crappy food, no visitors, no fresh air, just sit in a cell and that's it or a swift death, I would choose death.

I'm also an atheist, but I believe ending someones existence is the ultimate punishment. No matter what you're living through it is a gift just to be alive. Anything is better than nothingness. Not to mention the fact I don't think people should pay money to keep alive the person that murdered their family members.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2007, 04:46:45 AM »

I'm in a debating mood so what the heck:

Being an atheist I believe there is nothing after this one.

As Evonus rightfully (*GASP*) pointed out, atheism as a label applies to people that believe there is no god. That says nothing about whether there is a form of life after death or not. (http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&defl=en&q=define:atheism&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title)

No matter what you're living through it is a gift just to be alive. Anything is better than nothingness.

That is something of a personal nature, because while you are sitting in a room with the biggest worry being people making fun of you on the internet, that is not the case for all. I don't know what your situation really is like, but let's assume it's less that say someone being tortured for information. Suffering is very relative, and the decision to end your life is something deeply personal. Who am I to say someone else isn't suffering?

Not to mention the fact I don't think people should pay money to keep alive the person that murdered their family members.

So you are trying to tell me that a dollar is worth more than a human life?

You know what, I'm going to list and then discuss the arguments for and against the death penalty. Feel free to join in, and if anyone has watched Bullshit! then they may see this is familiar.

Arguments For:

It is a deterrent for people committing murder.
The punishment fits the crime. (An eye for an eye.)
That it is painless and very efficient.

Arguments Against:

It is NEVER alright to kill a human being.
->or It is only alright to kill during times of war or in self-defense
->or It is alright but only in certain situations
Innocent people are put on death row.
Would YOU trust the government to present all evidence in a murder trial?
All the arguments FOR the death penalty are wrong.

Obviously I am taking the side against the death penalty, so if you feel I'm not representing an idea properly please respond, both sets of arguments too.

Deterrence:
Murders are committed for THREE reasons or motivations: profit, passion, or compulsion.

When committed rationally for profit, the person committing the crime does it rationally and doesn't think that they will be caught. A good example of this is the mafia, gangs, etc...
When committed because of passion, when a person snaps and kills someone, the very definition of  is failing to way risk/rewards when determining an action.
When committed because of compulsion, the person does it because of some sick mental or physical illness. Manson, etc.. do what they do even though they know of the consequences.

The murder rate for states that have the death penalty is consistently higher than states that do not have the death penalty, and while it is hard to determine what the effects would be on the states if they removed their death penalty, it is equally hard to show that the death penalty is having a positive effect. Texas, for example, has a higher murder rate than the national average even though they have executed the most people and have the most on death row.

Eye for an Eye:
46% of the people on death row are white, and 42% are black. (Total: 3415) Of the entire prison population, however, blacks make up 12%. While it is argued that there is no racism, that blacks just seem to commit the crimes that end up with a death sentence, this fails to mention about what may have led up to the arrests, trials, and convictions. (Higher quality policing in rich neighborhoods, etc...)

Also, it is a well known fact that innocent people are put on death row. On Bullshit!, they interviewed a guy who had been convicted and was sentenced to death, when something like 7 years later he was retried and released because it was found that the prosecutor had hidden evidence, including that fact that he was already in jail at the time for another unrelated crime. The witnesses that testified against him were also found to be the actual perpetrators of the crime. Would you trust government officials to show all of the evidence, when a) we have evidence that they don't, b) there is evidence of racism, c) we don't even trust them to develop good policies like the drug policy, etc...

Besides, what is more of a punishment: a "swift" execution (I'll get to that), or a lifetime in jail.

Let's pretend for an instance that you support the death penalty. Assuming that man had been killed, you would have been responsible for his murder. Therefore, you were responsible for the death of an innocent man, and should also be put to death.

Painless:
There are horror stories about hangings, using the electric chair, the guillotine, and other more ancient methods of execution. With lethal injection, a study found that some people had less of the sedative than required for surgery, and would mean that even though they were paralyzed and not showing pain, it was likely that they were awake at the time and suffered a horrible pain of choking and their heart being stopped. Interestingly enough, the guy who developed lethal injection was the physician to Adolf Hitler. (Not an argument against, but it should show the mindset of where this idea came from...)

In terms of efficiency is the question of whether MONEY is more valuable than a HUMAN LIFE. If you think that a dollar bill is somehow more valuable than a human being, that's your choice,  but who knows what you are liable to do when confronted with someone willing to pay you to kill another human being.

Throughout all of this is whether it is EVER right to kill a human being, or any of the sub questions.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2007, 07:11:14 AM »

I know my post is a bit broader than Saddam being killed, but this is something of a discussion on the death penalty...
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2007, 01:44:33 PM »

Actually Arbor and philia are both from Latin. So the correct question would be, do they teach Latin anymore, and the answer is no.
Wrong.  'Do they teach Latin anymore?' is not the correct question.  It's called etymology, and yes, they do still teach it in English class.

I'm also an atheist, but I believe ending someones existence is the ultimate punishment. No matter what you're living through it is a gift just to be alive. Anything is better than nothingness. Not to mention the fact I don't think people should pay money to keep alive the person that murdered their family members.
A gift from what/who?  By definition, a gift is given.  So, who or what is doing the giving?
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2007, 02:19:02 PM »

I used to watch Wordsmith on PBS.  I wonder if it's still on?  I took two etymology classes during my undergraduate years because I enjoyed that show so much.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2007, 03:39:07 PM »

Thank you for actually taking this seriously.

That is something of a personal nature, because while you are sitting in a room with the biggest worry being people making fun of you on the internet, that is not the case for all. I don't know what your situation really is like, but let's assume it's less that say someone being tortured for information. Suffering is very relative, and the decision to end your life is something deeply personal. Who am I to say someone else isn't suffering?

Suffering subsides after a while. Trust me, I've had to endure something very terrible in my own life, and I know what it's like to suffer. Life is worth more than we would often think, and I can say that from experience.

So you are trying to tell me that a dollar is worth more than a human life?

Criminals like murders and rapists are too wicked to reform, and thus they can not be integrated into society. So in essence they are worthless, because all they can do is cause harm and consume resources. A dollar has value, it can save other people's lives as well as make life easier for those who are suffering. Therefore a dollar can be worth more than a "human" life.

Arguments For:

It is a deterrent for people committing murder.
The punishment fits the crime. (An eye for an eye.)

I agree with these two, although the second one is all I need to support the death penalty.

That it is painless and very efficient.

This honestly makes no difference to me. I'd actually rather it not be painless.

It is NEVER alright to kill a human being.
->or It is only alright to kill during times of war or in self-defense
->or It is alright but only in certain situations

I completely and uterly disagree with this mentality. I see no problem with killing another human being when need be.

Innocent people are put on death row.

This is an unfortunate consequence.

Would YOU trust the government to present all evidence in a murder trial?

I would hope that it would, but this arguments isn't necessarily sound. You could put someone away for life because all the evidence isn't correct, and have the truth never come to light. This is more of a problem with the justice system in general.

The murder rate for states that have the death penalty is consistently higher than states that do not have the death penalty, and while it is hard to determine what the effects would be on the states if they removed their death penalty, it is equally hard to show that the death penalty is having a positive effect. Texas, for example, has a higher murder rate than the national average even though they have executed the most people and have the most on death row.

There could easily be other factors that attribute to this though. Like race relations and such. Texas has a lot of immigrants from Mexico and a lot of gangs which account for the higher murder rates. Your comparing 2 things here that don't necessarily have any relation. Comparing Texas with the death penalty and without the death penalty would be a better comparison.

Eye for an Eye:
46% of the people on death row are white, and 42% are black. (Total: 3415) Of the entire prison population, however, blacks make up 12%. While it is argued that there is no racism, that blacks just seem to commit the crimes that end up with a death sentence, this fails to mention about what may have led up to the arrests, trials, and convictions. (Higher quality policing in rich neighborhoods, etc...)

This is because unfortunately the way the country was originally set up African Americans were on the bottom, class wise. They're still there because adequate reform has not been made in their favour. Poor people are more likely to kill each other. So putting 2 and 2 together, it makes sense.

Also, it is a well known fact that innocent people are put on death row. On Bullshit!, they interviewed a guy who had been convicted and was sentenced to death, when something like 7 years later he was retried and released because it was found that the prosecutor had hidden evidence, including that fact that he was already in jail at the time for another unrelated crime. The witnesses that testified against him were also found to be the actual perpetrators of the crime. Would you trust government officials to show all of the evidence, when a) we have evidence that they don't, b) there is evidence of racism, c) we don't even trust them to develop good policies like the drug policy, etc...

It's not a perfect system, but like I said, putting someone away for life can be just as easily manipulated and never uncovered.

Besides, what is more of a punishment: a "swift" execution (I'll get to that), or a lifetime in jail.

I'd say death.

Let's pretend for an instance that you support the death penalty. Assuming that man had been killed, you would have been responsible for his murder. Therefore, you were responsible for the death of an innocent man, and should also be put to death.

If I was the prosecutor that withheld evidence and had an innocent man killed I deserve the death penalty. You are correct.

Painless:
There are horror stories about hangings, using the electric chair, the guillotine, and other more ancient methods of execution. With lethal injection, a study found that some people had less of the sedative than required for surgery, and would mean that even though they were paralyzed and not showing pain, it was likely that they were awake at the time and suffered a horrible pain of choking and their heart being stopped. Interestingly enough, the guy who developed lethal injection was the physician to Adolf Hitler. (Not an argument against, but it should show the mindset of where this idea came from...)

None of this phases me even a bit. I don't care if they suffer, they've brought suffering on a lot of people, which is why they are where they are. Not to mention, just because Hitler had an association with something doesn't make it evil. Hitler is a political figure, who did something very bad; however, he was a man, and like any other man he did things that were good and bad. Not everything surrounding Hitler was bad.

In terms of efficiency is the question of whether MONEY is more valuable than a HUMAN LIFE. If you think that a dollar bill is somehow more valuable than a human being, that's your choice,  but who knows what you are liable to do when confronted with someone willing to pay you to kill another human being.

Money is not more valuable than the average life, but like I have said, I consider criminals to worth less than the rest of society, and thus worth less than money. I'll give you a flow chart. Noncriminals > Money > Criminals.

Throughout all of this is whether it is EVER right to kill a human being, or any of the sub questions.

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Some people are just bad eggs and have to be put down.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2007, 03:40:38 PM »

Wrong.  'Do they teach Latin anymore?' is not the correct question.  It's called etymology, and yes, they do still teach it in English class.

I never learned this, so whatever, not worth arguing over.

A gift from what/who?  By definition, a gift is given.  So, who or what is doing the giving?

A gift (unintended perhaps) from the world around us. No entity gave it to us, but we received it through random luck in the universe.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2007, 03:42:47 PM »

One of the main things that turns me against the idea of capital punishment is the fact that the courts can, have, and WILL continue to fuck things up ever so often. What do you say when it turns out that the courts killed a father of three for a crime that he didn't even commit? Is doing justice for people who are already dead (and by your own admission incapable of caring) worth the risk of killing an innocent, the very crime that is theoretically being punished?
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2007, 03:44:05 PM »

I never learned this, so whatever, not worth arguing over.

A gift (unintended perhaps) from the world around us. No entity gave it to us, but we received it through random luck in the universe.

So is the dog crap that stuck to my boot on the way over also a gift from the universe? This sounds awfully theistic to me.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2007, 03:57:43 PM »

The current issue of the Economist speaks of some breakthroughs in neuroscience, which bring free will into question.  A specific example is of a guy who was relatively normal became a pedophile.  Drs. discovered a brain tumor, removed it, and the guy lost all of his pedophillic tendencies.  The tumor grew back, the tendencies returned.  The tumor was again removed.  Tendencies gone.  Did this man exercise free will to be a pedophile?  Is he a criminal?

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2007, 04:16:39 PM »

I made a choice not to believe in free will.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2007, 04:23:23 PM »

One of the main things that turns me against the idea of capital punishment is the fact that the courts can, have, and WILL continue to fuck things up ever so often. What do you say when it turns out that the courts killed a father of three for a crime that he didn't even commit? Is doing justice for people who are already dead (and by your own admission incapable of caring) worth the risk of killing an innocent, the very crime that is theoretically being punished?

I personally think it's worth the risk. Not to mention, it isn't the same crime. A person being legally executed my a court isn't the same as one man killing another. A court is not a man, it's a legal body.

So is the dog crap that stuck to my boot on the way over also a gift from the universe? This sounds awfully theistic to me.

I'm not a theist. I think life is a gift that we got lucky and ended up with, but I don't believe that we owe anyone anything, I don't believe that it was fated that humans existed, or that any entity exists, and certainly not that we were created by one.

The current issue of the Economist speaks of some breakthroughs in neuroscience, which bring free will into question.  A specific example is of a guy who was relatively normal became a pedophile.  Drs. discovered a brain tumor, removed it, and the guy lost all of his pedophillic tendencies.  The tumor grew back, the tendencies returned.  The tumor was again removed.  Tendencies gone.  Did this man exercise free will to be a pedophile?  Is he a criminal?

The man obviously has a treatable mental illness and therefore he should be committed to a psychiatric ward.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2007, 05:06:45 PM »

So if this is a possible cause.  Couldn't all crime theoretically be traced back to a biological process and thus be a treatable mental illness? 

You seem to over-generalize and try to make a complicated, multi-variate world too simple.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2007, 05:16:32 PM »

So if this is a possible cause.  Couldn't all crime theoretically be traced back to a biological process and thus be a treatable mental illness? 

You seem to over-generalize and try to make a complicated, multi-variate world too simple.

No, if I kill someone out of greed it's not due to a mental illness, it's because I'm an asshole and I'll do anything for profit. Same with Racism, same with sudden impulses, ect.

In this case there was something that was interfering with that man's normal line of thought. His normal line of thought was not the problem.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2007, 09:16:26 PM »

Normalcy is relative.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2007, 08:05:39 AM »

No, if I kill someone out of greed it's not due to a mental illness

How do you know for sure it's not resulting from a mental illnesss?

Criminals like murders and rapists are too wicked to reform, and thus they can not be integrated into society. So in essence they are worthless, because all they can do is cause harm and consume resources. A dollar has value, it can save other people's lives as well as make life easier for those who are suffering. Therefore a dollar can be worth more than a "human" life.

Seriously, that statement scares me. Making the assuming that any rapist is beyond redemption is not good enough for me. No matter how disgusting their actions are, those people need help more than anything. As it ever occur to you that a sociopath may have abnormal brain activity and perhaps a mental disease is contributing to how they think, feel, and view the world? So if they are in fact sick and could perhaps be helped trough medication, psychiatric treatment, and perhaps even surgery, should we just ignore that and just kill them just because it's convenient? By doing so, aren't we guilty of a similar crime?

What if we decided that people with cancer didn't deserve to live and we started to execute those diagnosed with the disease instead of treating them? What if we didn't fund cancer research, didn't pay attention to the cause, didn't invest time and money in finding solutions to the problem, and simply spend 1$ on a bullet for each person diagnosed with cancer instead? What kind of society would we live in? Certainly not one I'd want to be a part of. Why can't the same principle apply to the criminals who are perhaps simply victims themselves.

Some people are just bad eggs and have to be put down.

YEAH! Just like the gays and the Chinese!  :roll:

First, how do you define what a bad egg is, and second how do you become one? Are you born already a bad egg, or is it learned behaviors and principles that turn you into one? If that's the case, why you couldn't relearn and to become a good egg. You have the capacity to learn.

Capital punishment is a coward's convenience. It's just easier to close your eye on the underlying problem and simply make it go away, but it is not responsible or fair. Resorting to it is simply a confirmation of our own failures in dealing with the real issues.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 08:07:32 AM by TheJudge »

milifist

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +36/-1
  • Beam me up!
    • View Profile
    • HaXor Central
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2007, 11:25:34 AM »

Personally, I’m inclined to support the death penalty only in the case of treason. I believe that it is an effective deterrent for this particular sort of crime (of course I’m only referring to the civilian legal system; I’m sure I could think of a couple other cases where the death penalty would be appropriate for military personnel)

I have no moral objection to the death penalty. However, except for it being a good tool for prosecutors to get favourable plea bargains, I don’t think it is a particularly practical form of punishment.

In the case of Saddam, the Iraqi government chose the best option they had. With Saddam dead and the Ba’ath party in ruins, there is no chance that they could be returned to power when the coalition troops withdraw. This necessarily means that the pro-Ba’athist insurgents can only fight for a new government rather than a return to the old status quo for the “good old days”.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2007, 03:02:08 PM »

No, if I kill someone out of greed it's not due to a mental illness, it's because I'm an asshole and I'll do anything for profit. Same with Racism, same with sudden impulses, ect.

In this case there was something that was interfering with that man's normal line of thought. His normal line of thought was not the problem.

Actually I was watching an interesting show about how racism may have a biological component.

A person being legally executed my a court isn't the same as one man killing another. A court is not a man, it's a legal body.

Of course, the court and the supporting system have far more guns and are a lot better organized than most mobs.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 03:07:18 PM by Agent_Tachyon »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4