The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 06:56:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129567
  • Total Topics: 7157
  • Online Today: 278
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Laptop - killdisk? Format? Weird Tingly Feeling?  (Read 3029 times)

12AX7

Laptop - killdisk? Format? Weird Tingly Feeling?
« on: January 29, 2007, 07:01:05 AM »

Can someone enlighten me on a few aspects of laptops; namely, is it manhandleable softwarily like a pc?
I mean, I can just "Format c:" on a pc and install whatever I please. This laptop has Gateway's Wndows
XPHome on it; Im wanting to wipe the entire thing, and install XP Pro; none of this "Gateway" crap. I've
been told there are different commands used on a laptop (like "killdisk" instead of "Format C:")... is
there anything to this? If it's just the same as a pc, I'm good; I just didnt want to get started on it
and find out it's totally different.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop - killdisk? Format? Weird Tingly Feeling?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 07:25:58 AM »

A PC is a PC is a PC as far as I know.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 07:46:33 AM »

Some of the devices are different for a laptop, such as the touch pad, but when I put Slackware on an old laptop I had it seemed to handle it well enough. (I didn't do any extensive testing...) I've put different versions of Windows as well, mostly because I know them better. (Windows 2000, and prior to that Windows 98)

Unless your laptop has a special feature (I.e. it's a tablet which lets you write on the screen), Windows XP Pro should be fine on the laptop, and the programs you use shouldn't be effected, and even then there are usually drivers that you can get from the Gateway website. (Be careful though, sometimes the vendors will only supply drivers to the version they shipped with...)

« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 07:49:38 AM by Crystalmonkey »
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

12AX7

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 07:57:16 AM »

Cool.
I had tried to run Ubuntu on it, and it wouldn't do it. Just hosed every time. (ran fine on my pc)
I can get drivers; no problem; so I suppose I'll go ahead with it. Fdisk/format/install new
 Ah'll let ya know how it goes. Thanks!

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 08:04:03 AM »

I wouldn't worry about having issues if you want to install XP pro. It's usually an optional upgrade on all laptops that ship with XP home as default so obviously, it would be fine. If you want to install some funkyer OS, then you could run into issues with specific devices, but generally you should still be ok. If you have uncommon devices like a fingerprint reader for example, then you may have difficulties finding workign drivers, but you'll still be able to operate the laptop regardless.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 08:11:58 AM by TheJudge »

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 08:07:56 AM »

Hmmexcellent. It's a Gateway BIOS, too, (or it's in a Gateway shell of some sort); plus it's created it's own drive to backup on; so I wasn't sure how far their claws were dug in; and how bad theyd bleed when I cut everything out. I need to study this BIOS before I do anything (now that I'm looking at it).

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 06:37:54 PM »

Be aware that most laptops have some rather proprietary components... XP was a bitch-and-a-half to get working on mine when I tried.  Needed a special driver for

- video card
- wifi
- sound
- touchpad
- optical drive
- NIC

Without which the above were "unrecognized" by Windows.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to identify each component and have the drivers already searched for, downloaded, and burned to a CD before you start, if you don't already have them on the disc that came with the laptop itself. 

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

12AX7

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 01:10:41 AM »

Thanks! That's kinda what I was wondering; if there was anything to be aware of ahead of time. Im in the process of compiling all those drivers now. Some are on the restore disc; the others might be and I just haven't found em (yet). I signed up at Driver.com a while back, too; so far every time Ive needed something, they've had it.
 I'll let y'all know the outcome when it comes out.