The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 09:02:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129552
  • Total Topics: 7149
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: I'm going to build a comp- suggestions?  (Read 5550 times)

LFD

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
I'm going to build a comp- suggestions?
« on: July 22, 2002, 11:40:42 AM »

Basically, when I get a job the first thing I am going is set aside money to build a computer piece by piece. I think right now I am working on a cash limit of $1200-2000 if I work part time on minimum wage for about 2 months straight. I should have atleast that much. You guys seem to be Tech savvy when it comes to your comps so ....how about it, suggestions

What-

Case -Mid or Full
HardDrives
Motherboard
Processor
VideoCard
Sound Setup
Cooling system type (liquid or fans)
Memory amount and type
Networking card

I think that is everything, I would mainly be using it for programming and gaming so, think with that in mind..and remember the price limit.

The only thing I am sure I want right now is a Flat Screen monitor, the only way it would fit in my room.

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 12:11:59 PM »

I'd go with a mid tower because you're not going to need massive hard drive space, nor a lot of items taking up those 5.25 bays that require you to have that little bit of extra room for you to move around in.

You can get a mid tower case like I have for about 36 dollars from Newegg.

Hard drive: Western Digital 60GB 7200RPM for $92.00
Motherboard: Abit KR7A VIA KT266A for $80.00
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1700+/266 FSB for $79.00
Video card: MSI GeForce4 MX460 (8867-020) VTP 64MB DDR for $129.00 (the good GeFore 4 would cost you quite a bit)
Sound Card: CREATIVE LABS SOUND BLASTER LIVE! 5.1 for $32.00
Cooling: 80/60mm fans for 6 to 10 dollars each
Memory: 512  MBs CORSAIR MEMORY 256MB PC2100 DDR RAM (Two dimms) for $96.00 each dimm
Network card: D-Link 10/100 Mb PCI Ethernet NIC Adapter for $10.00

All in all it would not be that bad of a system. It will run you around 650 dollars for the entire thing, including the case. All of those products were pulled off of Newegg which is a pretty good online retailer.

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ice-on-fire.net
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2002, 03:31:13 PM »

just make sure you dont get a geforce and a sound blaster... thats all i can tell you from my experience, get a geforce, get a sound blaster, but not both

LFD

• Computer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2002, 04:21:42 PM »

whats wrong with both? performance issue or what?

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2002, 04:26:54 PM »

They argue with the proccessor over who gets resources..

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2002, 05:19:12 PM »

I've had two computers which used those two cards at the same time, and there were no problems that I'm aware of. Perhaps your AGP slot is just crapped out on your motherboard.  :?:

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2002, 05:49:44 PM »

im running an agp card right now, must be the pci slots... or just the fact that maybe the agp is slow?

who knows.. i should buy a new mobo

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2002, 08:01:52 AM »

Without specifying on specifics, I'll say this:

If you want a kick ass gaming system, the motherboard is very critical because it determines what kind of hardware you can put in.

First off, don't get a board that has stuff built into it like modems, video cards, network cards, etc. That would be a waist of your money because you limit yourself on component selection. Plus, if you have a board with a built in video card and the video card fries, you kind of need to replace the whole thing.

Second, pay extra attention to the type of ram the board can take, to the bus speeds, the AGP speed (2X, 4X, etc.) number of slots, and of course processor type it can handle. As for slots, it's better to have more than not enough so make sure you have plenty of PCI slots.

As far as processor, I have a preference for Intel. I have no logical explanation for it. I just trust the name Intel. So pick intel or AMD, it's up to you. Try going 1.8Ghz or more.

Get at least 512 MB Ram

Make sure your Hard Drive is 72oo RPM and not 5400 RPM.

Make sure your network card is 10/100 and not just 10.

Mid Case is all you need. Make sure the pwer suplly that comes with the case is at least 300Watts.

MAke sure your video card is at least 4X AGP with at least 32MB of memory. But I do recomment you spend the extra cash to get 64MB. Since this is a gaming system, the video card is critical. Do not be affarid to spend money on it. Don't get a peice of shit. You will regret later.

You can't got wrong with CREATIVE LABS SOUND BLASTER LIVE! 5.1 It's a great card.

*******BUT MOST IMPORTANT******

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT install Windows XP. It's even crapier than AOL if that's at all possible!!!

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2002, 12:14:38 PM »

I'm using Windows XP Pro (De-gayified) right now. It's fine by me. Ok, I think NASCAR 2002 will not install on it, but aside from that, it's better than 98 and 2000 as far as I can tell.

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2002, 07:42:47 PM »

windows xp is the best windows OS you can get...
he must have not been thinking clearly..

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2002, 07:36:37 AM »

Windows XP... XP = Xecute Processor.

I just had bad experiences with XP. But it was an earlier version than what's on the market now. Mabye they tweaked it a little since.

Jon

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gotthegeek.com
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2002, 03:44:34 PM »

Quote from: TheJudge
I just had bad experiences with XP. But it was an earlier version than what's on the market now. Mabye they tweaked it a little since.

That was my problem. I had the original version of XP. Now since most of the bugs have been fixed, I'm going to be using that as my main OS when I format my HD again so I can set different disk sizes for the partitions and reset the server properties for Windows 2000 Server and its "I will only configure once"  IIS.