The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 05:16:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weird Tingly Feeling Faux news.... Seriously?  (Read 7805 times)

The_FOO

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +61/-3
  • irc.hyperion.org:6667 #hn
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hyperion.org
Weird Tingly Feeling Faux news.... Seriously?
« on: May 25, 2008, 10:14:28 PM »

Stolen from digg... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffrey-feldman/fox-pundit-wishes-for-oba_b_103500.html

FOX Pundit Wishes for Obama Assassination, Laughs

During a live interview, FOX Contributor Liz Trotta jokingly wished for the assassination of Sen. Barack Obama.
http://www.errorfm.com/efm.pls
More FOOlish than you'll ever be.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Tingly Feeling Faux news.... Seriously?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 11:11:20 PM »

Wait... were you expecting better from FAUX news? Because, they do shit like that all the time, but heavens forbid someone mention killing the Republican candidate... Or the shrub.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 11:29:35 PM »

No, I wasn't expecting better, but I was expecting some level of decency. This is just classless.

I can't even take refuge in being Canadian, because there's basic levels of human decency and this was just way beyond comprehension.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 11:34:43 PM »

Yeah, I guess I'm just numb to it now. This comment doesn't surpirse me at all.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike

12AX7

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 12:06:57 PM »

Ah, come on now. It aint just Fox havening people like that on. That shit goes on on EVERY so-called 'news' channel. It's just usually someone calling for Bush or Cheney's demise; at which everyone chuckles, so dont act like " OMG!!The Indecency!!! ".

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 12:08:26 PM »

Besides, your link is from the ... um... Huffington Post. *ahem*
 Arianna, meet kettle...

sociald1077

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +129/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 12:09:31 PM »

Ah, come on now. It aint just Fox havening people like that on. That shit goes on on EVERY so-called 'news' channel. It's just usually someone calling for Bush or Cheney's demise; at which everyone chuckles, so dont act like " OMG!!The Indecency!!! ".

I honestly have not heard of that.
"Guns don't kill people! PHYSICS kill people!" - Dick Soloman

12AX7

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 12:16:47 PM »

Yes you have; I just posted it.

12AX7

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 12:20:22 PM »

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 02:30:38 PM »

Hey cool, I wasn't aware that an equivalent act of stupidity/impropriety could cancel out its ideological counterpart. I guess Fox News is just doing its job evening out all that Liberal bias.

Your link refers to Anne Coulter as a "Conservative luminar[y]" so I'm not sure how the people who run it are able to access the Internet from their lunatic asylum.

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »

I've never heard of a news caster/spokesperson joking about the assassination of a public official. I have heard normal people doing so of course. There's quite a difference between the two things.

12AX7

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 06:39:08 PM »

That lady isn't a newscaster or spokesperson is my point. The real "story" here ( if there is one- you just said yourself you've heard 'normal' people say the same thing) is being overshadowed by the OMG! that it's on Fox. I don't know who this lady is; but I find it interesting that the actual newscaster's (the guy on the left) response to her remark is edited out. Are you certain he or Fox wasnt embarrassed by that? Of course not. That possibility is left out by the editing and the tone and pretext of the article.
Hey cool, I wasn't aware that an equivalent act of stupidity/impropriety could cancel out its ideological counterpart. I guess Fox News is just doing its job evening out all that Liberal bias.
Nobody said anything about cancelling out. I said "that goes on on EVERY channel" so it's kind of pointless to make the issue about it being on Fox.
Your link refers to Anne Coulter as a "Conservative luminar[y]"
See? EVERY channel.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 07:18:17 PM »

Are you seriously suggesting that Fox News doesn't eclipse the other news programs in its levels of bias and misleading statements?

There's a lot of difference between people having private discussions about things and broadcasting said discussions from a position of authority (such as it is). She's a contributor on Fox and giggled about the assassination of an elected official. Fox has a reputation for leaning far to the right. It's completely understandable that people would focus on this element of the situation.

12AX7

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 08:07:30 PM »

Are you seriously suggesting that Fox News doesn't eclipse the other news programs in its levels of bias and misleading statements?
Are you seriously saying they do?
 No, I actually haven't suggested anything eclipsing anything else. Where does that assumption come from? I said "that goes on on EVERY channel so it's kind of pointless to make the issue about it being on Fox."   Nothing about eclipses.
 And of course you're right; it doesn't go on ANYwhere else...

There's a lot of difference between people having private discussions about things and broadcasting said discussions from a position of authority (such as it is). She's a contributor on Fox and giggled about the assassination of an elected official. Fox has a reputation for leaning far to the right. It's completely understandable that people would focus on this element of the situation.
Trotta has worked for Hillman Periodicals; Inter-Catholic Press Agency; Long Island Press; Chicago Tribune; Newsday; NBC and CBS. I hardly think her 'contributing' to FoxNews somehow garners more "authority" than the organizations she actually worked for.
 Also, being a 'contributor' to a news agency doesn't mean that agency stands behind your views / statements. Fox has a lot of people who are very "left" as contributors daily. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 08:10:13 PM by 12AX7 »

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 08:59:41 PM »

No, I actually haven't suggested anything eclipsing anything else. Where does that assumption come from? I said "that goes on on EVERY channel so it's kind of pointless to make the issue about it being on Fox."   Nothing about eclipses.

Whoa... there's a HUGE difference between saying your news/opinion/viewpoint/etc sucks, and suggesting (even in a joking manner) that someone should be assassinated. *THAT* is the sort of thing that only seems to happen on Fox.

Quote from: 12AX7
Trotta has worked for Hillman Periodicals; Inter-Catholic Press Agency; Long Island Press; Chicago Tribune; Newsday; NBC and CBS. I hardly think her 'contributing' to FoxNews somehow garners more "authority" than the organizations she actually worked for.
 Also, being a 'contributor' to a news agency doesn't mean that agency stands behind your views / statements. Fox has a lot of people who are very "left" as contributors daily. 

Yes, but the average American viewer sitting at home watching this is only going to see someone Fox brought on air because presumably they are some sort of expert. And if you don't think that people accept that experts know what they're doing you need to check out the Milgram experiments.

12AX7

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 09:43:01 PM »

Whoa... there's a HUGE difference between saying your news/opinion/viewpoint/etc sucks, and suggesting (even in a joking manner) that someone should be assassinated. *THAT* is the sort of thing that only seems to happen on Fox.
So then - to my point - isn't "the story" here that someone suggested such a thing? Or is it more important to point out it was on Fox?
 I've also heard former North Carolina State University professor Kamau Kambon call for the extermination of white people - also on Fox news; but somehow that never made anyone's "OMG!" cut.
 Linkage

Yes; it's on Hannity and Comes; which -no; I can't watch in it's entirety. I cannot STAND either one of them. I DO watch Brit Hume's show, and sometimes Greta's. The rest I can't stomach. But anyway; here's the story I'm referring to in case you were interested in reading it.

Now, I'm not defending Liz Trotta or her comments; it's just when the discussion turns to "well, its faux news"; it sorta deflates the whole outrageousness of what she said.

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 10:09:50 PM »

So then - to my point - isn't "the story" here that someone suggested such a thing? Or is it more important to point out it was on Fox?
 I've also heard former North Carolina State University professor Kamau Kambon call for the extermination of white people - also on Fox news; but somehow that never made anyone's "OMG!" cut.
 Linkage

Now, I'm not defending Liz Trotta or her comments; it's just when the discussion turns to "well, its faux news"; it sorta deflates the whole outrageousness of what she said.

Yes, you're right, the story is that someone suggested such a thing. My point is that this wasn't live, Fox could have and SHOULD have cut that comment out of the broadcast. The fact that they let it be broadcast makes them complicit.

That other article proves my point. Most other news organizations would have filtered such a radical point of view out. Fox just doesn't seem to care. They'll let anyone spew their guts out on the air. Regardless of how inflammatory, or hurtful the comments are.

12AX7

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 10:16:13 PM »

Yes, you're right, the story is that someone suggested such a thing. My point is that this wasn't live, Fox could have and SHOULD have cut that comment out of the broadcast. The fact that they let it be broadcast makes them complicit.
Ah, I see your point.

That other article proves my point. Most other news organizations would have filtered such a radical point of view out. Fox just doesn't seem to care. They'll let anyone spew their guts out on the air. Regardless of how inflammatory, or hurtful the comments are.
I'd rather them let anyone spew their guts than to carefully pick and choose who gets to mouth off. Regardless of how inflammatory, or hurtful the comments are.

That's crazy. The same fact supports two (almost) opposing views.

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 12:12:23 AM »

Well, yes, free speech is wonderful, and I'm in no way in favour of censorship.

But I do think that a line has to be drawn against hate. And yes, I know this is a fuzzy topic, with lots of pitfalls.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 12:58:57 AM »

Well, yes, free speech is wonderful, and I'm in no way in favour of censorship.

But I do think that a line has to be drawn against hate. And yes, I know this is a fuzzy topic, with lots of pitfalls.

In the case of television news, the line is drawn in the number of people who turn their televisions off. In this case, the best sort of retaliation is user sourced censorship. "You can continue to speak out all you want, but you should know, everyone's stopped listening."

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 08:07:48 AM »

Uh, yes. Yes I am. By a lot.

Ok, so by your logic if there's three people in a room who occasionally let off some gas and there's one guy who's using his farts to play a butt-version of the Star Spangled Banner, then there's no point in focusing any attention whatsoever on Captain Beans because hey - EVERYONE'S DOIN' IT! Why even discuss these gassy gaffes?

Only slightly disingenuous to bring up the other networks' level of bias as a defense against the mistakes of the news program that's under discussion currently, as per the thread topic.

I never said it didn't happen anywhere else (but I will say now that it doesn't happen elsewhere to the sort of near-troll that Fox pulls off on a regular basis) - my point was simply that the topic is worth discussing despite that. If you want to make a bunch of threads about NBC's evil overlordery, then by all means.

Again, not my point - it has nothing to do with her status per se, but merely the fact that such comments carry a lot more weight in the context of a news program. It's not like the people who hold these kind of "let's kill 'em all" views really need the mainstream media to give credence to their delusions.

As The_FOO mentioned, they had complete editorial control and decided to run it anyway.

OOPS! LOOKS LIKE WE ACCIDENTALLY CONFLATED OSAMA AND OBAMA YET AGAIN MAN HOW DOES THAT KEEP HAPPENING HA HA J/K ABOUT ASSASSINATION WE'RE NOT BEING DELIBERATELY ANTAGONISTIC AT ALL HOOT HOOT

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 11:17:50 AM »

BLACK HUSSEIN OSAMA AMIRITE
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 12:22:33 PM »

If you use the word 'liberal' as some kind of negative, you are either ignorant to it's meaning or downright evil.
Either way you are not to be trusted, which is why I could never watch Fox news long enough to see something like this.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

RelandR

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +91/-4
  • This portion of the page intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 03:31:58 PM »

While Googling "joking threats" , one of the links led to various peoples accounts of (and of course replies to) having blogged or otherwise posted on der web what were clearly **JOKES** about certain elected officials and their subsequent ordeals. One in particular, Her after account Here, moved me, especially when I saw the 'meat' of her original posting.
... This was evidently her (circa - '04) Dear God-esque post::
Wassup? How's it hanging? Yeah, I know it's been a long time since we talked. This probably stems from my belief that you do not exist. Anyway, the reason why I'm calling you is because last night, President Bush said that he could feel it every time we prayed for him, and since he apparently doesn't listen to anyone but you, Lord, I thought you might pass this along to him.

Please kill George Bush. I hate him so much. I think he is a giant dick and I want terrible things to happen to him. I'm not really big on the specifics of how he dies, but if you could at least arrange it so that the authorities find his dead body on top of an underage black male prostitute surrounded by a mountain of cocaine and child pornography, that would really be super-awesome. And maybe you could have some media people there when the police find the body, so they can take pictures and stuff. That'd be fucking GREAT. Am I allowed to say "fuck" in a prayer? Shit, I just said it again. Ah, well.

Anyway, that's my prayer, Lord. Please, please, please kill Dubya. And Dick Cheney. And everyone else in the Bush Administration. Maybe they can all commit mass suicide together or something. I don't know. You're the one with all the ideas. You come up with something. I need more coffee.

Smooches and Huggles,

anniesj

Come on, people. Share your own prayers for Bush. Maybe if we all pray hard enough, Bush will feel it so deeply he'll have an aneurysm! You never know! *squeezes eyes shut and prays harder*

I laughed.

I would be interested to see whether or not the media types that sound off this way will get some sort of visit/harassment/shit from the SS the way private citizens 'catch it' or will it be summarily dismissed ?

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 04:43:07 PM »

I'm pretty sure I remember that from when it happened. Or a case very similar to it. Scary shit.
Pages: [1] 2