The Geek Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:28:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129470
  • Total Topics: 7101
  • Online Today: 54
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

Author Topic: Random Rants  (Read 66815 times)

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Re: Random Rants
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2009, 11:26:04 PM »

Wow! That is absurd. All three of those posts are making me frustrated by proxy. I'd like to know what on earth makes it impossible to use special characters in a password.

I have found that if an application is passing a user name\password combo as part of a connection string to an SQL database, sometimes having SQL specific characters as part of your password causes the database to go sideways.

That's about the only thing I can come up with.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2009, 07:10:03 AM »

I have found that if an application is passing a user name\password combo as part of a connection string to an SQL database, sometimes having SQL specific characters as part of your password causes the database to go sideways.

That's about the only thing I can come up with.

Our Oracle database here won't allow certain special characters in password or user name strings for exactly that reason.
--this space intentionally left blank--

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2009, 07:25:11 AM »

Oh. Well now I know! 8-)
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2009, 07:51:32 AM »

Gee... a simple RegEx to replace those characters would solve that in about 2 seconds.  Or, hell, store the MD5 of the password like just about every forum out there does.  There is no excuse.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Socrates

• Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2009, 08:21:24 AM »

Gee... a simple RegEx to replace those characters would solve that in about 2 seconds.  Or, hell, store the MD5 of the password like just about every forum out there does.  There is no excuse.

I agree, just explaining.  Heck the site should have told you not to use those characters in the first place if they couldn't be bothered to store the password in such a fashion as to not cause problems.
--this space intentionally left blank--

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2009, 10:12:11 AM »

Heh.  I almost forgot about another one.  One of the financial companies with whom I had an IRA (had, mind you... I've since rolled it over to a different, better company) had a web-only means of account management if you wanted to avoid waiting on hold 45 minutes any time you needed to do the simplest thing.

And their website had NUMERIC ONLY PASSWORDS.

That's right.  No letters, no special characters.  Your password HAD to be numbers only.

Nothing quite like entrusting your financial data to a security scheme that can be brute forced in seconds by a 12 year old.

:roll:

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2009, 03:59:59 PM »

1.) No, I won't fix your goddamned computer. The major reason being, I don't know how! God damn it! Just because I'm a fucking geek doesn't mean I can fix your fucking technology. Fuck you.
2.)Further more, I hate, HATE, H-A-T-E, hate customer support lines. So no! I'm not calling one for you! Those poor people have been on the phone probably for hours already talking to morons and are inclined to treat me like one! I'm not doing it! Fuck off!
3.)Finally, No! No I cannot reinstall my cd/dvd driver because according to my computer I DON'T HAVE ONE! Which I what I've been trying to tell you for the last 45 minutes! It's physically there. It was reading discs fine yesterday. But today? Not a single file you've mentioned is even in existence! Fuck the toubleshooting page! Fuck the god damned manual! And fuck your stupid machine! 

I feel better.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2009, 05:49:51 PM »

better than whom?
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2009, 08:48:21 AM »

Than my previous self.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2009, 04:59:34 PM »

Data structures and algorithms.

Instructor: Use whatever methods you want to make this first program work. I just want you to be able to get it done.
* Novice uses a linked-list to create a database of stores in a mall.
Instructor (a day or so before the program is due): The first programming assignment specifically says to use a static array. Using a different method is an incomplete assignment.
* Novice scrambles to make a static array database but can't get the pointer logic to make sense.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure doing a linked-list is harder than a static array.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2010, 09:28:42 PM »

Like OMG she's a GIRL!

Get a life. Get a brain. I have a 32ddd rack. You think I paid for these girls? No. They came free with the body and XX chromosome. Christ people.

Okay, I'll admit, I don't act much like girl often, but damn, it doesn't change the fact that I am one. You act all shocked and cased when I show up in a pink dress, 4" heels and a manicure. Oh and yes, a pink ribbon, would have SO totally made my day. I just couldn't find one.

I don't do it often, but I am still entitled to this behavior. I'm female. It doesn't alter anything. I can still change a tire in 4" heels and a mini skirt. I will still laugh at your weird boy-humor. I will still crack dark, cynical jokes that your girl friend does not understand and I will still reference sci-fi and horrors when I speak. It's just that tonight I will be doing it... as a girl. You'd think you'd never seen a woman in a skirt before.

And yes, I like shoes. They always fit.

Anyway... actually... I can only think of one thing I can't do in 4" heels and mini skirt.

12AX7

« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2010, 03:36:55 AM »

I have a 32ddd rack.  the body and

4" heels and a mini skirt.

picsplzkthx

Probie

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +223/-5
  • The natural nap catalyst
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2010, 03:46:06 AM »

I'm the same, but i like the extra attention i get. I went out with my sister and sister-in-law and a gaggle of girls. I got told I looked like a princess and a woman. Now I'm sitting at my desk in a pair of jeans two sizes to big for me and a sweater with holes in it and I'm respected like any average coder. It's awesome, I'm leading a double life.

Although the other day I had a real girly moment in front of one of the guys because I'd bough PINK LEMONADE!!!!!! lol
// ------- Probie ------- //
// ----------------------- //
// --- T3H GEEKERY --- //
// ----------------------- //
www.niccisixx.com - I can put this here, because I'm awesome.

Clear_Runway

• Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2010, 10:45:57 AM »

we all know you're a girl. your cute avatar gives it away.
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2010, 12:26:35 PM »

picsplzkthx for all three of you!

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2010, 02:25:37 PM »

Anyway... actually... I can only think of one thing I can't do in 4" heels and mini skirt.

I'm going to be pondering this all day, because all the things I can think of you doing in 4" heels and a mini skirt only get better when done in 4" heels and a mini skirt.

"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2010, 03:21:07 PM »

The flight response is hindered in 4" heels. I can run in them, but not as to effectively flee a threat. Thus, the heels must torn off the feet and chucked at the threat before the flight response can be chosen. This is not actually affected by the mini skirt, the mini skirt was merely a side note. Hence, the one thing I cannot do in 4" heels is flee.

Personally, I believe the man who invented heels, invented them with this very problem in mind. I believe them to be hobbles. Unfortunately (for men everywhere), the man who invented heels, invented very effective hobbles... that just happened to have a spiked apparatus and a decent throwing weight. Some are even quite effective in the absence of ninja throwing stars and using them as weapons goes on the list of things that CAN be done.

I have yet to patent the ninja throwing stiletto. I'm working on it.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2010, 06:07:32 PM »

So have you ever had to use them as such?

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2010, 06:19:08 PM »

Yes. Unfortunately.   :|  Such is the world.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2010, 06:31:03 PM »

Ouch.  Sorry to hear that.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2010, 08:44:31 PM »

No kidding. I lost a $40 pair of red spike stilettos.

The entire story ends with unexpected heroes and unexpected heroes are a good ending. It does have a rather long beginning.

<set-up>
When I lived in Orlando there was this dingy little bar on the corner from where I lived. Orlando has one of the worst gang populations in the country. I enjoyed visiting this bar because it had a wonderful pool table that sat mostly unused and gave me an opportunity to occupy myself without harassment. Also, the bartender let me in even though I was underage (20 at the time) and was happy to serve me as long as I never asked for alcohol. It was an arrangement. He'd serve me ginger-ale and I'd play pool and keep to myself. Never had a problem IN the bar. Ever. However, since the gang population was so high, I was uncomfortable walking to the bar and therefor drove myself there anytime I'd go. This required me to walk out to a poorly lit parking lot, sometimes by myself, to get back in my car to go home.
</set-up>

2am. I'm walking to my car.

I'm lucky my assailant was a moron. I was able to see him coming across the parking lot between the cars. When I realized he had cut me off from my car and was heading towards me with what appeared to be a gun, I chucked my shoes at him and ran. From what I am to understand (from what I've been told), I clocked him with one shoe in the head and totally missed with the other shoe. I don't know. I was running. For some bizarre reason, I chose not to run back into the bar, but to run towards home. I don't know. I was panicked. It would've been stupid if I wasn't lucky.

Apparently three gang members were standing on the corner when this all went down. We won't ask what they were doing there at 2 in the morning, but... anyway. Two of them saw me toss my shoes and run, and the third looked up when he heard the guy shout, probably from the pain of getting struck in the head with a stiletto. Two of them chase after the guy and beat him until he escapes into a vehicle and drives away. The third runs for his own car.

By this time, I'm a good ways down the sidewalk. Adrenaline was my friend. Never ran so fast in my life.

The third guy catches up to me in his car, rolls down the window and manages to talk me into slowing down. I refuse to get in the car, but finally agree to letting him drive beside me as a I walk home. He does. I get home safely. Never find my shoes though.

Later the cops tell me I don't have a case because nothing was stolen, I wasn't hurt, and I never saw his face. Don't ask about the witnesses. Remember, they were gang members, on a corner, at 2 am. Do you really think they'd come forward?

Heh, I'm just glad they were there. I returned in the morning to get my car. After that, I made the bartender or a well-known regular of the bar walk me to my car. I still don't leave a building and go to my car in a poorly lit area by myself. I have made security guards walk me through a Walmart parking lot before. I will do it again. The $40 pair of red heels I lost are all I ever want to loose.

Lesson learned.

12AX7

« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2010, 02:53:42 AM »

You act all shocked and cased when I show up in a pink dress, 4" heels and a manicure.

I get that, too.

Probie

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2010, 04:17:35 AM »

I get that, too.

Shocked in a good way 12, ;)

12AX7

« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2010, 11:02:06 PM »

Shocked in a good way 12, ;)

Haha. We really should hang out.  :wink:

Probie

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2010, 04:38:56 AM »

That would be cool  8-)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11