The Geek Forum

• May 12, 2024, 08:04:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 151
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: XP  (Read 2793 times)

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
XP
« on: March 13, 2003, 10:47:02 AM »

I'm in the process of debating whether or not to buy a computer from DaerPC. Specifcally, this one.

I'd be upgrading to:
Athlon XP 2700+ 333FSB
1GB DDR
80GB 7200RPM
No cd
52x24x52 CD-RW
GeForce4 TI4200 128MB 8X AGP
No Modem
No monitor
No Raid and Firewire

Here's my problem, do I want windows home or professional?  this computer will be sitting at my house, never moved (unless I move), on a network with 3 or 4 other computers, possible 5th.  I'm not sure of the difference between home and professional, as I just hate xp.  Any suggustions?
"Ohhh! That is almost sig quote material.... almost!" - The Judge

Anonymous

XP
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2003, 10:57:57 AM »

1st suggestion, remove the double quotes from your url link.

2nd suggestion: You may be able to updrage your current box for less $$$. Post your current setup.

I can't comment on XP.

What is this PC mainly for? Gaming? If so, there are a few things you may want to consider when it comes to hardware vs budget. I'll list those later, I have to go to a meeting right now.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
XP
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2003, 11:38:54 AM »

Windows 2000 Professional is a better, less annoying option than XP.  

Granted, you can get XP to behave almost exactly like 2000 Pro, but it takes a whole lot more work and there are a whole lot more things you have to disable, shut off, uninstall, and otherwise "hack" off.

My analogy of Windows XP is like buying a brand new car that looks really nice, and has the potential for being really reliable and good value.... but then as soon as you sit down, you notice that the seat is alllllllll the way forward, the steering wheel is at an almost unusable angle, the windshield wipers are defaulted to "on, high", and there doesn't appear to be any way of shutting them off, the radio is always on, with the volume up at 100%, and there is no way to turn it down, the hazard lights come on at random, and shut off at random, and the only way you can put gas in the goddamn thing is to take it back to the dealership so that they can do it for you.

That's Windows XP.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
XP
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2003, 01:12:23 PM »

What I'm using now... Gateway, processor is an Evergreen Permaform 766, 392mb pc-66 ram (all that mine will run on), gf2 32mb pci videocard, sound blaster 16 pci.

Upgrading this would be a pain in the ass, and it's a hand-me-down as it is.  and yes, it would be moslty for gaming with the occasional photoshopping

Anonymous

XP
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2003, 02:17:09 PM »

May I suggest the following. (they have good prices btw)

ATI Radeon 9700 8xAGP 128MB

2 of these 512 DDR400 RAM
By the way, they sell shitty clone RAM. Buying brandname RAM like corsair or kingston would cost more, but would peform better.

This board has 3 firewire connections, LAN, sound, 6 USB 2.0,  3 Dimms support DDR400 up to 3.0GB, and more cool shit.

Hard Drive, pick the one with the 8MB buffer

CD burner, how about the Sony? Not as fast, but you won't really notice a difference. More reliable.

CPU looks good

Power supply, you want 400 Watts or more. This will do:

If your current case is aTX, you can use that. Your power supply is probably only like 250 Watts however.

Cost of your system above: $992

Cost of this system(without case): $1017

So fork the extra $25 buy the good stuff and build it yourself keeping your old case and your floppy. Scrap the rest. You get a better board and better Video Card. And go for the brand name RAM if you are a hardcore gamer because the three components jsut listed are the most important, with the CPU of course.

My 2 cents.

Anonymous

XP
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2003, 02:54:26 PM »

You should go with Windows XP Professional.

The difference I have found is mainly in networking. You can do a lot more with user groups and user accounts with Windows XP Pro, than Home.

I used to use Windows XP Pro, but have since moved to Windows 2000 Advanced Server due to the abilities that it had over any other OS Microsoft has put out.

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
XP
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2003, 10:26:02 AM »

Awesome, thanks everyone.  Also, Judge, I kind of like that case.  It'd be strange to have a neat looking one for once.