The Geek Forum

• May 07, 2024, 01:56:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129615
  • Total Topics: 7182
  • Online Today: 135
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: "By the people, for the people"????  (Read 3702 times)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
"By the people, for the people"????
« on: May 05, 2003, 10:53:06 AM »

... more like "for themselves, and fuck the people".

Link
... nine members of Congress -- Sen. Christopher Bond (Missouri), Rep. Thomas Davis (VA, 11th), Sen. John Ensign (Nevada), Rep. Doc Hastings (WA, 4th), Rep. Ric Keller (FL, 8th), Rep. Steve King (IA-5th), Rep. Michael Rogers (MI-8th), Rep. Bart Stupak (MI-1st) and Rep. Heather Wilson (NM-1st) -- accepted "tainted" campaign contributions from WorldCom/MCI and then failed to return them. This at a time when pensioners in their states lost over half a billion in retirement savings due to misdeeds at WorldCom.
Bribery?  Fraud?  

In the US government, things like "Integrity", "Honesty", "Honor", and "Duty" are dirty words.

And yet the voters continue to elect the same crooks again, and again, and again.

I say "shame on you" to the members of Congress that behave this way... I'm sure it's not limited just to those involved in this article, and not limited to just this issue.

But I say "shame on you" even MORE to anybody that votes for these criminals.  You made this mess.  The rest of us just have to pay for it.  :evil:

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 01:20:28 PM »

You'd think that any politician that was caught in this sort of thing would be barred from office, but then you realize that if that happened, there'd be almost no politicians left.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 01:30:04 PM »

And that's bad because???

Anonymous

Re: "By the people, for the people"????
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 07:45:40 PM »

Quote from: Demosthenes
In the US government, things like "Integrity", "Honesty", "Honor", and "Duty" are dirty words.

For a long time now I have been thinking that same thing. Not only just with the Government, but with almost everyone in general. As some of you know, I'm a student at a school in New Jersey. Countless times I see kids cheating on their tests just so they can get that A on their report card. Since when did it become ok for everyone to cheat on their tests? You could put an answer key right infront of me while I was taking the SATs, and I still would not use it because I know better. People no longer have the honesty that was common place 30 or 40 years ago.  :evil:

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 08:30:33 PM »

Quote from: Chris
Quote from: Demosthenes

For a long time now I have been thinking that same thing. Not only just with the Government, but with almost everyone in general. As some of you know, I'm a student at a school in New Jersey. Countless times I see kids cheating on their tests just so they can get that A on their report card. Since when did it become ok for everyone to cheat on their tests? You could put an answer key right infront of me while I was taking the SATs, and I still would not use it because I know better. People no longer have the honesty that was common place 30 or 40 years ago.  :evil:

That'd be the half of the school board who're from Matawan, no doubt, heh. My mum is bringin integrity back to our schools...... as soon as all the old farts in town will let the budget pass so we can fix a few caved-in roofs in EVERY SCHOOL!!!!!!
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 07:40:24 AM »

Since when did it become ok for everyone to cheat on their tests?

Since it became socially accepted that better grades mean better intelligence, which is of course totally false.

TerrorDronze

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +22/-10
  • I'm not narcissistic, I'm just awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 12:23:38 PM »

Quote from: TheJudge
Since when did it become ok for everyone to cheat on their tests?

Since it became socially accepted that better grades mean better intelligence, which is of course totally false.

amen to that!  hell, my posts here may not show it, but if you were to get to know me in person, you'd realize that i'm smarter than i let on online, or in my grades.  fuck the system.  We need something that allows teaching, and not testing.  Pencils and paper are great tools, if that's the format you learn best through.  Teach the students, teachers need to take their time and make sure everyone learns the basics.  You have no clue how many students i go to school with who can't do any math, aren't able to spell, or even read for shit, and get away with all of this because they can mooch from the few of us that actually know what's going on.  it pisses me off, at the teachers and administrators who can't do their jobs, at the parents who don't even care that their children are totally ignorant, but so long as they can play football, it's alright, and finally, at those students who, despite all their complaints at how tough a class is, don't do a thing to try and rise to the occasion.
Wait, so the might-be-a-bot isn't dead?!

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2003, 12:29:12 PM »

The main probelm with public school sytems is that essentially, your grades depend on your capacity to memorize things, not to understand them. So if you have a great memory, you'll do well. If you don't you will be branded as a trouble maker.

TerrorDronze

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +22/-10
  • I'm not narcissistic, I'm just awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2003, 12:33:42 PM »

no shit.  but aren't most school experiences like that?  i've got ADD and a really keen memory.... there have been times where i've contradicted the teacher's lesson *on the same subject* by quoting what they've said, and gotten in trouble for it.  i hate my school (except for Cisco Networking Academy), I just want to blow it up, melt it down, and smack the administration from left to right.
Wait, so the might-be-a-bot isn't dead?!