The Geek Forum

• May 10, 2024, 05:07:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129623
  • Total Topics: 7186
  • Online Today: 152
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Computer Lock Ups  (Read 4395 times)

Anonymous

Computer Lock Ups
« on: June 01, 2003, 07:57:55 PM »

How often does your computer lock up? Recently, ever since I got my new dual it's been locking up nearly everyday when doing next to NOTHING. I've had times where I'll move the mouse and it freezes. I know the temperature is not too high, as it was only about 100F in the case at the time of the lockup, and I've had times when I used the machine when the case is 120 without any problems.

I'm about ready to reformat this POS, I'm starting to get worried about the drives crapping out with that kind of abuse. You need to be rather gentle with RAID 0.

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +72/-1
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
Computer Lock Ups
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 07:59:11 PM »

Mine rarely locks up since I got rid of spyware...you've not got any, have you?  If so, I suggest looking into some sort of removal program.
"Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!" -- JR "Bob" Dobbs

LadyGendom

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +69/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/lolagayle
Computer Lock Ups
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 08:01:42 PM »

Mine hardly ever locks up.  It needs a reboot about once a month.  But then again, I'm running a Mac.  :P

Anonymous

Computer Lock Ups
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 08:04:20 PM »

Quote from: LadyGendom
Mine hardly ever locks up.  It needs a reboot about once a month.  But then again, I'm running a Mac.  :P

I wish I could get back to doing that stuff again. My dual PIII setup is still the most stable that I have on the network. I can go months without that thing needing to be restarted. Then again, it's only a backup Domain Controller and backup server.  :roll:

Anonymous

Computer Lock Ups
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 07:21:44 AM »

reformat the whole thing then ghost it. And can't get worst.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
Computer Lock Ups
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 08:45:32 AM »

Mine randomly turns off....4 or 5 times a night.  But only when I'm online.

So if I'm ever in a chat room with you...sorry, I'll probably leave suddenly with no warning.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Computer Lock Ups
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 10:18:25 AM »

Quote from: Detta
Mine randomly turns off....4 or 5 times a night.  But only when I'm online.

So if I'm ever in a chat room with you...sorry, I'll probably leave suddenly with no warning.
That's goofy... typically only 95/98/ME have the "random reboot and shutdown" option checked by default.  You running one of those?

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
Computer Lock Ups
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 10:56:18 AM »

Windows 2000.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

Anonymous

Computer Lock Ups
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2003, 11:21:41 AM »

that is teh wierd. Do you have anything in the task scheduler? Do you have virus protection other than a huge condom?

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Computer Lock Ups
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2003, 12:14:59 PM »

Quote from: Detta
Windows 2000.
That's what I thought you had said at one point.

That makes me think hardware.  Loose power cable on the back of the tower, perhaps?  I've seen that before.  Heck, my desktop machine at home is like that.  If I move the tower around even a little while it's running, sometimes it'll dump, just like it had been unplugged or something.

Failing that, I'd start thinking motherboard or power supply.  Neither of which is worth messing with if you're not really a hardware geek and the machine is more than 2 years old.

But check your power cord first.  Make sure it's plugged into the back of the tower good and tight.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Anonymous

Computer Lock Ups
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2003, 05:13:32 PM »

This problem is still pissing me off. I've spent the last four days trying to figure out why. I thought it would be a good idea to format it, and then reinstall Windows to hammer any bugs out. Boy, was that a bad idea. It got to the point where it would format the drives fine (NTFS), and then when it came to moving the files to the drives them selves, it would just freeze. I'm trying to install Windows 2000 Professional on a RAID 0 setup, the hard drives are fine, I've tested them, and they are both new. The IDE controller card is good, because I've tried installing with only one hard drive plugged into the IDE connector on the motherboard itself. I've switched out RAM, nothing. Power supply? Switched that out. Heat? Can't be, the case was open with a 24 inch fan pointing in at times on the highest setting. I've tried differt CD ROMs and disks as well, and the same problem hapens.

When ever I move a decent amount of data, such as updates from Windows Update, the system will freeze, and I will not be able to recover it.

I'm begenning to think it's the motherboard because I've pretty much tried everything else. Anyone else have any ideas to try out? :roll:

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Computer Lock Ups
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2003, 07:30:09 PM »

Quote from: Chris
This problem is still pissing me off. I've spent the last four days trying to figure out why. I thought it would be a good idea to format it, and then reinstall Windows to hammer any bugs out. Boy, was that a bad idea. It got to the point where it would format the drives fine (NTFS), and then when it came to moving the files to the drives them selves, it would just freeze. I'm trying to install Windows 2000 Professional on a RAID 0 setup, the hard drives are fine, I've tested them, and they are both new. The IDE controller card is good, because I've tried installing with only one hard drive plugged into the IDE connector on the motherboard itself. I've switched out RAM, nothing. Power supply? Switched that out. Heat? Can't be, the case was open with a 24 inch fan pointing in at times on the highest setting. I've tried differt CD ROMs and disks as well, and the same problem hapens.

When ever I move a decent amount of data, such as updates from Windows Update, the system will freeze, and I will not be able to recover it.

I'm begenning to think it's the motherboard because I've pretty much tried everything else. Anyone else have any ideas to try out? :roll:

Sounds fairly serious, and if this continues, who know how far it'll lead?

I myself have numerous problems with my computer, from the error messages I recieve, to my lack of being able to defrag it.

That just sucks, Chris. I can't help ya, even though I'd love to.

Anonymous

Computer Lock Ups
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2003, 09:08:49 PM »

The answer to this problem: Thermal Compound.

Apparently the heat sinks had some form of "goo" on them already, but wasn't good enough, or had worn down. So I figured what the heck and decided to add some more thermal compound onto the heat sinks. Turned it back on, downloaded the backup of this site, which is roughly 250 megs and it was fine. I maxed out the processors the second time around with RC-5, went to download the backup file, and nothing happened. Thanks to a little thermal compound, my problem was solved.

Turned out not to be anything serious at all. At least it froze before really doing some damage to itself. :roll: