The Geek Forum

• May 10, 2024, 03:18:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129627
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 159
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: New Computer, need advice  (Read 2759 times)

ho0ber

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +29/-1
    • View Profile
    • SDC-Music.com
New Computer, need advice
« on: June 14, 2003, 11:17:11 PM »

So I'm finally getting my own computer for college, and I need it to KICK ASS.  My friend just got a Sager notebook that i'm quite taken with.  Everywhere i've looked, all of the notebooks have AWFUL vid cards and are not upgradeable, however, in comparison to the ATI crappy 32 and 64 MB VRAM opportunity elsewhere, even an ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 with 128 MB of VRAM looks pretty damn good.

So this is the Sager I'm looking at, but my dad wants me to look EVERYWHERE else to make sure there isn't something I'm missing.

Here are the specs:

3.06 GHz Pentium 4
1024 MB of ram
15 in wide angle view 1600 x whatever it is screen
ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 with 128 MB of VRAM
60 GB 5400 RPM Drive
some burner that was good, but i've since forgotten (not that important)

But yeah, thats about it.  Where else should i look?  I havn't found anything that could close to performing as well graphically as my friends sager does (has all the above specs).

We can run GTA3-Vice City, UT2003 and Planetside flawlessly on it, so it seems pretty sexy.  Haven't tried any other games yet, but i'm impressed enough so far.

Any leads, suggestions or questions?  Help me out here...
-ho0ber

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +72/-1
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2003, 11:33:43 PM »

Sounds like good eatin'.  Will it be taking you through all of your college years, or just a few?
"Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!" -- JR "Bob" Dobbs

ho0ber

• View Profile
    • SDC-Music.com
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2003, 01:08:04 AM »

Well, as far as i can drag it... when i need a new one, i need a new one, but money depending, i may just stick with it for all 4... and then grad school may be a different story.
-ho0ber

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2003, 01:33:22 AM »

Quote from: ho0ber
Well, as far as i can drag it... when i need a new one, i need a new one, but money depending, i may just stick with it for all 4... and then grad school may be a different story.

Probably your best bet.

Invest in something after school's over and done with. You'll probably need to, considering the remarkable technological advances we'll experience in that timeframe.

copperrein

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.members.cox.net/saust/art/frametest.html
Lappy
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2003, 06:44:21 AM »

Egads NO! Ok, I have alot of laptops (I don't know why...they just find me *shudder*) but I've never owned/used a Sager. I hate every single laptop I own and have to deal with at work. They hate anything external I think they even hate their own hardware sometimes...they have a habit of re-writing thier hard drive. Linux hates laptops too, though you can manage.

We have windows laptops at work and they don't like DAT drives attached to them, they don't like RS-232 either. And try getting a consistent hp-term open....

Ok, so maybe you wont be rebuilding hard drives or anything like that...but....but....you can do sooo much more with a desktop. Add stuff...touch stuff....hold it and hug it. Lap tops are evil hell-sent items.
http://members.cox.net/hatshepsut/aliens.jpg">

ho0ber

• View Profile
    • SDC-Music.com
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2003, 02:06:28 PM »

Nah, i need a laptop, and i will be buying a desktop before too long, but this laptop has downright perfect reviews from some of the most demanding consumers on the face of the earth... Gamers.  So for people who need a laptop to be as much like a desktop as possible, this is their pick, so I may have to go with it.
-ho0ber

biggyfred

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +7/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 12:13:57 AM »

Depending on exactly what your plans are for it school-wise, you may consider getting a palm style dealie instead. I considered getting a lap for awhile, I had business inventory, address book, and day planner needs, but I ended up getting an old handspring visor, and I love her to death. Once I got the stylus writing thing down (which took less than 2 hours), it was cake. Not as fast as my typing, but it was serviceable, and for under $100, it got the job done and left $$$ for other stuff.. in your case, possibly money towards a killer desk box.

And the games on it are fun. Kyle's Quest pwns j00.

If that helps at all.
your ad here.

ho0ber

• View Profile
    • SDC-Music.com
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2003, 07:39:20 PM »

i have a visor platnum, so thats all covered...
-ho0ber