The Geek Forum

• May 13, 2024, 10:51:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
  • Total Members: 4953
  • Latest: Leonriv
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 146
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Illegal drugs!  (Read 8544 times)

KeithPars

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Illegal drugs!
« on: July 16, 2003, 11:45:33 AM »

Why not bring up the subject?

Have you ever done any illegal drugs?!
When, Why, How, Where, and What?

The curiosity never ends :twisted:

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Re: Illgeal drugs!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 11:53:26 AM »

Quote from: KeithPars
Why not bring up the subject?

Have you ever done any illegal drugs?!
When, Why, How, Where, and What?

The curiosity never ends :twisted:

Let me sum this up in a few simple words:

"Drugs are my anti-drug."

Did that make any sense whatsoever? If it did, excellent. If not, I'll have to try catering to a more responsive audience.  :P

Anonymous

Illegal drugs!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 12:12:15 PM »

What is it that you seek to know exactly? And to what end?

KeithPars

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Illegal drugs!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 01:17:22 PM »

I seek knowledge of the use of illegal drugs by anybody in this forum. I am simply curious to k now.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Illegal drugs!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2003, 01:29:10 PM »

Come to think of it, admitting to using illegal drugs in a public forum is kind of stupid.

Anonymous

Illegal drugs!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2003, 02:02:48 PM »

I seek knowledge of the use of illegal drugs by anybody in this forum. I am simply curious to k now.

Well that is quite vague. Are trying to find out what it feels like? Are you trying to find out about the medical effects it has? Are you trying to find out about cost? About group dynamics within comunity of users? Statistics on drug usga ein American schools? What?

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
Illegal drugs!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2003, 02:08:20 PM »

But that's just my opinion.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

Anonymous

Illegal drugs!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 02:14:29 PM »

Quote from: Detta

But that's just my opinion.

Well it doesn't get simpler than that my dear, but that is the honest truth.

No good can come out of long term drug usage. That's all I have to say.

KeithPars

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Illegal drugs!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2003, 04:51:02 PM »

Yes they are. Oh well. I tried.

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
Illegal drugs!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 01:36:41 AM »

What a sucky image... it says "POWER- My Anti-Drug". I believe this teaches children a valuable lesson about how drugs can only harm their ability to become supervillains. I have one of these stuck to the dashboard of my car, heh.
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
Illegal drugs!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2003, 08:41:28 AM »

Yes they are. Oh well. I tried.

You tried what?  What were you shooting for?  A debate?  Do you agree that drugs are bad?  Or do you think they're all fine?  

Yeah, I tried teh pot a few times.  Never really floated my boated.  I just prefer beer.

Right now, however, I'm going through tremendous pain because of someone else's drug use.  I'd like to say that I think some drugs should be decriminalized and that the government should keep their noses out of it, but it's hard for me to take that view right now.  Some people just can't control themselves and need a little help I guess.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

Anonymous

Illegal drugs!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2003, 09:00:07 AM »

Some people abuse drugs to no end, and wind up becoming a danger to others if and when they cannot get their next fix, and infact will be willing to KILL someone for it.

I'll be damned if I ever use that crap, I'm not wasting my money on something that will "make me happy" for half an hour to an hour.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Illegal drugs!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2003, 10:45:43 AM »

Quote from: Detta
Right now, however, I'm going through tremendous pain because of someone else's drug use.  I'd like to say that I think some drugs should be decriminalized and that the government should keep their noses out of it, but it's hard for me to take that view right now.  Some people just can't control themselves and need a little help I guess.

To an extent, you're right.  And I agree.  Some people can't control themselves where substance abuse is concerned, and can't control their behavior as a result of that.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that the rest of us should suffer or be treated like children by a nanny state because a select few can't handle their high, can't control their drug use, or have emotional/psychological problems concerning it.  To make a blanket law criminalizing any and all drug use is ridiculously unfair, and frankly, unconstitutional.  The US government does not have the authority to dictate to individuals what they can and cannot ingest/smoke/inject or otherwise consume.

Don't get me wrong here.  I'm not defending drugs or those who abuse them.  I don't even use drugs, other than alcohol.

But if someday I want to, it's none of the government's fucking business if I choose to or not.  If I harm someone in the process, or if I'm all whacked out and driving around, hitting mailboxes and endangering the public, fine.  Pick me up and throw me in jail.

But otherwise, it's a victimless crime, and an individual decision.

And yes, I'm aware that those individual decisions can cause pain and emotional stress for loved ones.  I was on the receiving end of that for 20+ years, and I'm still going through some of it because of my mother.

But that's her decision, ultimately, to abuse drugs and alcohol.  And it was her decision, ultimately, to take the necessary steps to get sober and clean up what was left of her almost unsalvageable and totally wrecked life.

All the drug laws in the world have not changed that one tiny bit.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Anonymous

Illegal drugs!
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2003, 10:57:51 AM »

I've heared the term "victimless crime" on a few occasions and it makes me laugh. There's always a victim.

But as for your arguements demo, I agree mostly with what you say. Sure, no one is to be penalized cause some sucker can't control himself. It's like booze. They don't stop selling it because there's a few alchoolics in town.

But the part I really don't like is "or if I'm all whacked out and driving around, hitting mailboxes and endangering the public, fine. Pick me up and throw me in jail." What if you hit a kid? What if your wife was with you and you got her killed? Does your "throw me in jail and get on with it" approach still work?

I think the only element missing from your arguments is prevention. And the best body equiped to do so is the governement. Now, are they going to do a good job at it? Probably not, but that's another issue.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Illegal drugs!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2003, 11:52:50 AM »

If your wife was stupid enough to get into a car with someone strung out on drugs, chances are she wouldn't have been living that much longer anyway.

Oh yeah, and Chris, your average 'high' from pot is about two to four hours, and acid lasts for around seven  or eight.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Illegal drugs!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2003, 12:10:18 PM »

Drunk driving endangers the public and is therefore outlawed, and punished (at least in my state) by pretty severe penalties.

Does that justify outlawing alcohol consumption across the board because a few idiots insist on behaving in an irresponsible manner?

Of course not.  You want prevention, fine... educate people from a young age to understand that there are consequences for drug abuse on one's life, one's health, and on others if they behave recklessly and lawlessly towards others.

But banning it entirely solves absolutely nothing.  It creates a criminal class out of what are otherwise almost all harmless individuals and it creates a black market that funds organized crime and endless cycles of violence.

And people will still use drugs.

Weigh the benefits.  Drugs are legal, and some people will ruin their lives with them.

Drugs are illegal, and some people will STILL ruin their lives with them, AND it will cost taxpayers billions of fricken dollars a year to try and enforce these unenforceable laws, and it will cost taxpayers billions of dollars a year to house all of these people who are now criminals, and it will cost citizens a continuous erosion in their rights as individuals, and privacy, and freedom from oppressive authority from a government out of control.

Option A sounds a hell of a lot less of a headache, to me.  Drug criminalization causes far more problems than it solves.

Especially when one considers that the number of problems it solves is a big whopping ZERO.

Anonymous

Illegal drugs!
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2003, 12:12:21 PM »

I agree. No sense fighting a battle you can't win. Instead, profit from it, like every other addictive substance or hobby out there.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Illegal drugs!
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2003, 12:20:46 PM »

Well, that's just it.  It's not just the "fuck you I won't do what you tell me" libertarian in me that's opposed to drug criminalization.  For a change, one of my principles is actually practical as well... it costs us so much in terms of money, resources, lost freedom, violence, and in the end it doesn't fix the problem it's supposed to be addressing, so why not just leave it be?

Slowly but surely I think society is beginning to come around to that notion.  The practical side of it at least.  What amazes me is the resistance among politicians to latch onto it as a real issue.

However, given the amount of money and power that's in the government's hands over the "War on Drugs", I shouldn't really be surprised that they are reluctant to stand down from it and relinquish that kind of muscle.

Anonymous

Illegal drugs!
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2003, 12:24:01 PM »

Once all the baby boomers die, we'll have our way! OMFGLOL!!11

Anonymous

Illegal drugs!
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2003, 12:48:45 PM »

They should outlaw sex as well. Look at all the problems it causes. Africa is going head on with AIDs as the years go on. Maybe if the United States Government outlawed sex, we won't have to face problems.

Maybe they should also outlaw driving. You know, people might crash and injure people, or themselves. I'm sure we can avoid many problems that way.

Everything basically has unwanted side-effects (Which we know as 'problems'), and if you're careful, you most likely won't have to face those problems if you just use your brains. You know, instead of buying a whole brick of hash, just buy not even half. You'll save money, and maybe even some braincells.

Anonymous

Illegal drugs!
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2003, 12:51:55 PM »

Why don't we just blow up the fucking planet? End of mankind. End of problems. End of teh intraweb. OMG!!! End of teh intraweb??? Noooooooooooooooooo1!!!!11 11 11011 11 10100 101 1010 101

Hazard

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
    • http://dark-soul.org/brite
Illegal drugs!
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2003, 04:08:28 PM »

At a pretty basic stage, it is entirely victimless.  However, as with everything,  the more you get involved, the more damage can come.  Too much of anything is never a good thing.

I'll have to admit,  I used to smoke a lot of weed.   I don't really regret it, but it's not a path I'm going down again.  I've been there, done that, got the shirt.   I know what it's like, so the curiosity is gone.  I care not to deal with the risks of harder drugs.   I haven't touched anything since November now, and I'm keeping it that way.   I didn't spend my money on Weed, it didn't drop my marks, and for the most part I didn't let it interfere with my life.  It's just like people who drink occasionally.  If you're not careless, there's not a lot of problems you can run into.  

At the least, weed should be decriminalized, or Alcohol made illegal.  And what are the odds of that happening?

Everything in Moderation!
Ask not what your Student Body President can do for you, ask what you can do for your Student Body President's body.

Anonymous

Illegal drugs!
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2003, 04:13:36 PM »

As long as there's money involved, I doubt they're going to be making booze illegal anytime soon. Same goes for cigarettes. The amount of taxes on those damn things in New York are insane.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Illegal drugs!
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2003, 04:31:05 PM »

You can't legislate common sense.  All you can do is smack down the stupid so they cause as little harm as possible to anyone else.

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
Illegal drugs!
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2003, 12:42:14 PM »

If you're "strung out" on pot driving around and hit something... oh well, you were goin like 3 miles an hour anyway. Probably just forgot you had the car in reverse.
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!
Pages: [1] 2