The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 09:32:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 153
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Fucking SPAM  (Read 1514 times)

Anonymous

Fucking SPAM
« on: August 01, 2002, 12:44:25 PM »

I've had enough of this shit. Every single time I check my email there's always SPAM in it. I now get well over a hundred pieces of that crap a day, and am fed up with it.

I'm going to give "SPAM Assasin" a go. If you're using an "@gotthegeek.com" address, you should notice a difference. And if someone "real" sends you an email with "CHECK OUT THIS! FREE SEX FOR FREE!" as the subject, it will be blocked.

Jon

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gotthegeek.com
Fucking SPAM
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2002, 12:48:21 PM »

lol, Spam is definatly a problem. How does the program work? Does it just keep certain subjects & addresses from getting through?

Anonymous

Fucking SPAM
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2002, 12:50:31 PM »

header analysis: spammers use a number of tricks to mask their identities, fool you into thinking they've sent a valid mail, or fool you into thinking you must have subscribed at some stage. SpamAssassin tries to spot these.
text analysis: again, spam mails often have a characteristic style (to put it politely), and some characteristic disclaimers and CYA text. SpamAssassin can spot these, too.
blacklists: SpamAssassin supports many useful existing blacklists, such as mail-abuse.org, ordb.org or others.
Razor: Vipul's Razor is a collaborative spam-tracking database, which works by taking a signature of spam messages. Since spam typically operates by sending an identical message to hundreds of people, Razor short-circuits this by allowing the first person to receive a spam to add it to the database -- at which point everyone else will automatically block it.