The Geek Forum

• May 12, 2024, 10:28:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 151
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: School Violence  (Read 10978 times)

Anonymous

School Violence
« on: July 16, 2002, 02:35:58 AM »

Ah yes, one of my more "favourite" debates since I think it's one of the dumbest things that I have ever heard.

School Violence. Many say that it's music, movies, TV, Computers, Video Games, and any other thing that may corrupt our children that make them shoot other classmates at school.

I think that is a bunch of crap. I think that it's stupid for anyone to think that just playing a video game that someone knows is not real can make someone go out and kill another human being, or even a deer. Obviously if a child thinks that the game is real, or can get away with killing someone in real life, he or she is clearly not old enough to be playing that game, and that is exactly why the game has an "M" on the box because it's for "Mature" people, not some 14-year-old kid that was never taught right from wrong be his parents.

God forbid should parents have to parent their children and teach them right from wrong. If they knew that the game was not real, people no longer exist after they die, and if you kill someone there are serious consequiences I doubt that they would want to kill another person. But, obviously some parents lack the common sense to step in and say "You can't do that", they let their children go out and harm other good, "less evil" children simply because they were too lazy to provide their child with the basic building block of growing up - Knowing the difference between right and wrong.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
School Violence
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2002, 02:39:03 AM »

I don't think it's even a case of "right & wrong" anymore - more like "acceptable & unacceptable".

As long as people can act reasonably within the limits of societal propriety, I don't really care if they're morally bankrupt. Sure, I don't like it, but at least they're not slashing my throat for my shoes.

dazedblueyes86

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Good point....
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2002, 02:49:57 AM »

When people start blaming guys that wear clown make-up (Insane Clown Posse) or a guy that claims to be the AntiChrist (Marilyn Manson) for what some messed up kids did, you know the world is fucked up. I mean, these people may have songs where they are killing someone but its not like they are actually going out and doing it (or telling little kids to do it for that matter)!! I mean, if someone actually listens to what these people are saying, there is something majorly wrong with them. As for TV, movies, and video games (even CD's), thats why we have a rating system, come on, say it with me. It's this great thing someone thought up in which if parents actually pay attention to what their kids are doing, they can stop them from being susceptible to violence when they don't know yet what is real and what is fake.

Anonymous

School Violence
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2002, 08:08:10 AM »

What's happening in general is that no one want's to be accountable for their childs behaviors anymore. Blame this, blame that, but hell! Don't blame the kid or the parent! I still agree with the good old fashion ass booting disipline. That's how I was raised. I didn't turn out to be a wacko cause my parents spanked me. And I know the difference between right and wrong. I'm not saying that controlled physical force is absolutly necessary, but sometimes it is the most efficient discipline. Kids just have it too easy nowadays and they don't even realize it. It's kind of like having a kid being so spoiled that he never learns to appreciate what he has. He always wants more, yet he's never happy with what he has.

Lacerda, I think you're dead on when you say it's not a matter of right and wrong, but a matter of acceptable and unacceptable. And that definition of acceptable/unacceptable changes over time because we define this based on our evironment. Why do people have so many burnouts at work now? It doesn't make sense! In general, people work less hours than they used to and have better working conditions. They have burn outs because they look at how others are being treated NOW compared to them. That defines what is acceptable and what is not.

Another simple example:The Bikini. When your grandma was young, it was WRONG. Now, it's ACCEPTABLE. It's encouraged if you ask me :-) The only thing that changed overtime is our exposure to the bikini. It has eventually reached the "acceptable" status because it became more and more common.

Anonymous

School Violence
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2002, 12:26:03 PM »

I hate that garbage that if you spank your child difus (or however the hell it's spelled) can come and "collect" your child for abuse.

They wonder why children are becoming more and more "corrupt" these days, it's because of a lack of discipline. Now you have kids going around thinking that they can steal from stores, curse random people off, run red lights, and other "random" things that have the potential to harm people rather than help.

Anonymous

School Violence
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2002, 06:55:25 AM »

and they lack common sense too! Just the other day, on July 1st, I went to see some fireworks for Canada Day with my girlfriend. The place was filled with families and kids. Then a bunch of teenagers show up and start goofing around. They don't really bother anyone, they talk to each other,  but they get pretty loud. And they us the F word 3 times in the same sentence. fuck this, fuck that fucking this, etc... I mean, isn't it common sense to make some sort of an effort and watch you language when there are a bunch of children around???

drDigital

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
School Violence
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2002, 12:09:29 PM »

my parents have never touched me: they gave me total freedom and if I was doing something wrong they would say a few words to get back on track and guest what? it worked. i'm a balanced, law-abiding, athletic, intelligent, creative, handsome, mild-mannered and wonderful person ... or so everyone tells me  :wink:

drDigital
[ drDigital ]
[ dr_digital@hotmail.com ]

LFD

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
School Violence
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2002, 03:55:33 PM »

I play videogames 14/7 and I have only contimplated killing people. Other than that I am a great guy  :twisted:

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people"

Gumbo

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.slipknoose.vze.com
School Violence
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2002, 04:58:40 PM »

I think my teacher had it right when he said that from day one boys are treated the same as girls. How many times have you been hauled to the principals office to get an ass chewing for punching some mouthy little brat who deserved it? I think that boys shouldn't have to "talk it over", I mean, if nobody is getting killed or permenantly disfigured, who the hell cares if they fight. Males push all these overwhelming emotions inside because our society does not allow it to come out via physicality. That's why you have breakdowns, that's why instead of having it out with some jerk, people let it escalate into a mass shooting, instead of getting out. I dunno, but that's just my thought. Next time pop somebody not cap em.
I'm ahead, I'm advanced, I'm the first mamal to wear pants. I'm at peace with my lust, I can kill cuz in God I trust. Ya.....It's evolution baby.

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ice-on-fire.net
School Violence
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2002, 05:01:11 PM »

or don't piss them off in the first place

SatannicA

School Violence
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2003, 01:58:11 AM »

Thought I'd just revive an old thread from the bottom of the barrel.

SatannicA

School Violence
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2003, 01:59:51 AM »

Quote from: TheJudge

Another simple example:The Bikini. When your grandma was young, it was WRONG. Now, it's ACCEPTABLE. It's encouraged if you ask me :-) common.

Stay away from my grandma

SatannicA

School Violence
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2003, 02:26:40 AM »

Chris, I think you have it wrong, many people who play rated "M" games, are actually teens. What percentage of adults out there will actually spend their QUALITY time on a computer game? (Minus everyone from this site of course) :wink: . And also, I agree with some of the things mentioned in the replies, people aren't going to kill people because of some stupid game, or some song, and the ones who do should have been admitted into a mental hospital long ago. Also, I don't agree that using violence as a punishment is a good method, since violence does promote violence, and it causes all kinds of shit to happen in the kid's mind. I happened to have to put up with the fucking bullshit, and what good has it done? Nothing, hell, it's probably made me even more unruly than before. I swear at home, I don't talk to my parents (it's mostly my mom that's the house nazi), and I used to get into trouble at school for being a filthy no good rebel (i've grown up and matured now). All the grades that I've gotten in school, I've gotten for myself, not to make my parents "happy". Spanking doesn't work, after-all, violence is the last resort of a feeble mind. And also chris, most of us "kids" as you call us, don't shoplift, run red lights (we can't even drive yet), or go out of our way to harm people. All these unruly things are done by those young punks who think their stupidity will impress their friends. You know what the real source of the problem is, the media, but to a certain extent. When you have a song talking about something as serious as killing someone, then your common sense will kick in and tell you "man i wouldn't do dat shit if i was you". However, when you have these glamourous images in music videos of "gangstas" smoking pot, "playin", getting in trouble with the law, vandalizing, and all while driving a caddilac and wearing gold chains, it gives the image that emulating this kind of behavior will land these kids their own caddies and gold chains. and it's not only a problem found in the male population, you'll see 9 year old girls these days dressing up like whores to imitate the styles of pop-singers, and the whores in rap music videos send the message that acting like a slut will make guys like you. Of course, a person's chemistry will also play a role, some people may take the shit they see on TV seriously, while other's will just shake their heads in disgust. So how can we solve the problem of these young punks? We can't, just remember to pack a 6-shooter next time you decide to take a walk in the park, or a ride on public transportation.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
School Violence
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2003, 10:58:21 AM »

Well, you're obviously not being influenced by the media from this site.

We like paragraph breaks.
 :)

TheBigBadBruno

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-6
    • View Profile
    • http://squaredroot.net
School Violence
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2003, 11:07:15 AM »

I was taking a look at this thread, and I have noticed that in the old days, lets say the 50's when my parents were growin up, you had hardly any violent acts going around. Hey, I'm not saying people didnt go around shooting everybody, but still. Those were the days when kids WERE disciplined, and got a good ass whacking when they were wrong. Nowadays, you hit your get, you get arrested. Weird Tingly Feeling is that garbage? Thats why we a havea problem with society today.
There are many people like me in this world who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that.

SatannicA

School Violence
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2003, 02:16:01 PM »

Quote from: Lacerda

We like paragraph breaks.
 :)

Until I get the rank of atleast "Skript Kiddie", I'm going to neglect the use of the enter + tab buttons. Just making life harder for you people.

Anonymous

School Violence
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2003, 03:58:33 PM »

I don't see how you think I have it all wrong, SatannicA, considering that you said that mostly teens play such games, and how it's nearly impossible for a game to promote such violence.

The point I was trying to make is that the media keeps on trying to blame it on video games and TV, yet I find it impossible for that to be true because before kids should be watching and playing such games, their parents should have taught them right from wrong.

SatannicA

School Violence
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2003, 10:48:25 PM »

It's common sense though, through their childhood, they would have picked up if not from their parents, from their school, that killing is wrong. When I play a computer game, I know it's just a game, and so should every other sane person. I don't think to myself "OMFGLOL!!1, this shit is so cool! I'm gonna take poppa's gun and do this shit at school!" But yes, the media does always blame it on games and music, when they should be looking at the parents, and themselves.

mstrgroovy

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.monkeyinablender.com
School Violence
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2003, 01:40:45 AM »

I just want to put in my two cents, because I'm a freshman in high school, and because I play video games, people look at me like I'm a ticking time bomb all the time. It's fucking simple. I know this has already been said in this topic, but those kids parents never either tried disciplining or talking to them, not to mention the fact that they toomk shit from everyone at school. Videogames are a release for violence, not a reason. And as for the Marilyn Manson thing, just because his music sucks, doesnt mean it incites violence.
Ash: Oh dear god, it's growing bigger!

Kitano : So today's lesson is... you kill each other off 'til there's only one left. Nothing's against the rules. Life is a game. So fight for survival and see if you're worth it!

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
School Violence
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2003, 11:21:24 AM »

We're in sad shape when Marilyn Manson comes off consistently more literate and articulate than Joe Lieberman. Then again imagine where we'd be if it wasn't like that....

LIke John Denver vs. Tipper Gore in the early 90's, we need that odd check and balance system in place, heh.
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
School Violence
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2003, 01:44:15 PM »

Marilyn Manson's music does cause violence. It makes me want to hurt Marilyn Manson.
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

Frozen Shade

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +1/-0
    • View Profile
School Violence
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2003, 02:47:21 PM »

Quote from: Law
Marilyn Manson's music does cause violence. It makes me want to hurt Marilyn Manson.

Here Here!  :P  But in all seriousness it is true. (by the way, im pretty sure i spelt seriousness wrong).
"Not you, you freeze-dried wraith - the OP" - Lacerda

TheBigBadBruno

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-6
    • View Profile
    • http://squaredroot.net
School Violence
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2003, 09:34:28 PM »

No, I dont think you did. If you did, woot woot to us, homie!
There are many people like me in this world who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that.

SatannicA

School Violence
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2003, 09:38:48 PM »

Quote from: Law

Two words; Ha, Ha.

SatannicA

School Violence
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2003, 09:40:17 PM »

I don't think certain people (celebrities, musicians) make me want to hurt other people, it's the people themselves that make me want to hurt them.
Pages: [1] 2