The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 09:06:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 140
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Let's get Personal - The moderator Edition V  (Read 2656 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
Let's get Personal - The moderator Edition V
« on: May 27, 2005, 06:55:41 AM »

Submitted by TheJudge

My friend Detta has turned in her answers! Let's see if you learn anything interesting about her.

1. I know you like to do you part to help with the community. What related activities are you involved in on a regular basis?

Well, as you may know, I'm in an organization called the Jaycees.  I usually describe it as a community service organization.  It's actually much more than that.  It covers community development, but also individual development as well as business type training.  My chapter  is a registered corporation (not for profit) and the board that runs it changes every year.  I've been on the board for about 6 years now, in different roles.

As far as the community projects that we work on (which I feel to be the most important branch to our organization), we have one called Project WARM, where we split wood all summer long with hydraulic woodsplitters and then, in conjunction with the Salvation Army, we deliver it to needy families who can't afford to heat their homes in the wintertime.

We also organize a monthly bingo game at a local nursing home.  We call the numbers and help the players that need help.  We play until everyone wins the game and we give them quarters for playing.  They love it.

The Virginia Jaycees run a camp for mentally handicapped children and adults.  Every chapter sends people to do maintenence on the camp, and we raise money to send people to camp if they can't come up with the money.

We do so much more.  It's just too much to list.

Shameless plug:  I highly recommend this organization for anyone who lives near a chapter.  http://www.usjaycees.org

2. Describe which specific moment, from the activities above, that was the most rewarding ever. Why was that particular moment more meaningful?

As far as the business end of my organization, it felt really good that we were ranked the number 2 chapter in the State of Virginia last year and number 3 in the entire nation!  I was on the board.  I helped with that.  It's quite a feeling.

As far as the community stuff goes, there is one person who I love delivering wood to.  Her name is Elsie Brooks.  Unfortunately, I don't get to go to her house anymore because of the way the deliveries work.  But I do remember one time...she lives on a corner in the city, so we usually drive up to the side of the house and go in through the side/back gate to stack the wood on her back porch.  Well this particular day, the city was working on the sidewalk and it was also very snowy and icy.  So we (me and my buddy Kay) had to haul big pieces of metal away from the back fence, just so that we could back the truck back in there to deliver the wood, and we had to walk 3 times as far as usual, in the ice.  I was a bit grumbly about it...until I saw Ms. Brooks come out in her nightgown and slippers pouring table salt on the steps so that we wouldn't slip.  It was the sweetest thing ever.  She saw that I was sniffling so she gave me her box of tissues to take with me on the rest of my deliveries.  She's a really sweet lady.  I like her alot.

3. How many hours a week do you spend in front of a monitor? Doing what?

Well, I spend just about my entire work week in front of the monitor.  Probably 7 out of 8 in the day for work.  I make brochures and other marketing materials for real estate agents.  If it's a day that I get to eat dinner at home, I usually eat while I play a game online or catch up on the boards (that I just left an hour ago...).  So probably about 50 hours a week.  Mostly working and checking the boards.

4. What is the most important quality a friend of yours MUST have?

Sense of humor.  I have a ton of aquaintences.  But if I can't laugh with someone, I get uncomfortable.

5. What is the one thing that really ticks you off? What's the thing that will make your wonderful smile turn into some undescribable abomination (other than silly questions!)?

Hormones I guess.

Let's see.  I don't like being lied to.  That really pisses me off.

6. If you could save a strangers life by donating one of your organs, but this would in turn reduce your quality of life, what are some factors that would influence your decision.

A stranger, you say?  It would depend on what kind of person they are I guess.  I'm not sure I'd sacrifice my own health for a selfish person (kind of selfish of me, maybe).  Certainly not for a person who hurts others on purpose.

7. Do you give blood?

I try.  I have iron deficiency anemia so they won't let me.  It kinda pisses me off because I always hear that they're dangerously low on blood, but they turn me away because I'm borderline.  But I do try every once in a while.  Take a bunch of vitamins, eat my broccolli and go down there.

8. What is your most cherished childhood memory?

My dad rototilled a big part of the yard when I was a kid so that I could plant a garden.  We even did an experiment because half was in the shade, and half was in the sun.  I also helped him alot in his garden.  That's why he made a place for me to have one too.

9. What is the one thing you wish to accomplish before you die? What do you want others to remember the most about you?

All I ever wanted was true love.  

I tend to bring happiness wherever I go.  I think people just say that because I make them laugh.  I hope there's more to it than that. But either way, I'd like for people to remember that they laughed with me.

10. Who do you most admire and why?

I bet you think I'm gonna say my dad.  Well, he made me what I am, but there are people who make me strive to be even better than that.

One such person is Lou Wilson.  He founded Project WARM 26 years ago.  He saw a news story about a woman who couldn't afford to heat her home so she was burning her summer clothes...not even thinking about what she'd do when summer came around and had nothing to wear.  It was all that she had that she wasn't already using.  The very next day, he went out into his yard and cut down a tree and cut it into small pieces and delivered it to her house.  Then he cut down more trees and sought out other families that needed the wood.  He's still involved with the project.  He interacts with the City of Richmond, as well as the Tuckahoe and Richmond Jaycees and the Salvation Army to make sure the lists are in order, the wood splitters are serviced, there's enough wood out there for us to work with, etc.  That's dedication.  That's inspiration.  He inspires me to do good for others.

There are two others who inspire me in different areas of my life.  I won't bore you with why, but they are Virgnia (the receptionist here at work) and Michelle (my step-sister).

11. top 3 movies?

Amadeaus
Usual Suspects
Clue

12. top 3 songs?

Sober by Tool
Eine kleine Nachtmusik (4th movement) by Mozart
Black by Pearl Jam

13. Best food EVAR!!!?

There's too much to choose from!  I'm gonna take the easy route and say anything that Joe cooks for me.  He's an awesome cook.  He keeps making me like things that I've never liked before and making me like them!  I'm gonna be pissed when I find out that fish won't kill me and that I'm not actually against tomatoes.

14. Describe a typical Detta week.

I never have a typical week.  Somethings always changing.  I do usually have some sort of Jaycee meeting on Mondays.  Then Tuesday I get to either come home after work and clean the house (maybe work on my part time work).  My buddies I have a monthly poker game, that's usually on a Tuesday.  Project WARM wood splitting has been moved to Wednesday, so I'm gonna try to get there every other week.  There's a monthly bingo game at the nursing home on the third Thursday of the month, and other buddies of mine and I have a monthly movie night, usually on a Thursday I think.  Weekends, I usually either spend with Joe (doing nothing, ahhhhhhhhh), or if we don't get together, it may be because I have some other commitment for the weekend.  Sunday, if I'm home, I get to watch the race.  Rusty's gonna win one of these days.

15. Last one! If you had the power to change one event in your own life, for better or for worse, what would you change. And no "I wouldn't change a thing answers!". If you had to change something, what would it be?

I've always thought that I'd fix it so that my parents never split up.  Now that I've grown up (and am around the age they were when they split and got remarried), I see why it happened and that it's a good thing.  I would however change the way us kids were kinda put in the middle.  I mean, I know they were young and confused, but it's pretty fucked up to make your 15 year old daughter tell her father that you want a divorce so that you can get remarried...when he thought all along that you were coming back.

Wait.  The interview is over?  I can't end on that note!  Lemme just say this:  >I'm with people I like and I'm having fun right now, right here! Want a Miller Lite?

Yes! I'll take a Miller light with you any day! I must admit I am puzzled by on of Detta's answers. She says all she wants is true love and I'VE BEEN OFFERING IT TO HER FOR OVER A YEAR DAMMIT!!! In al seriousness, I can say with confidence that all her e-friends from the geekery truly do love her and indeed, she does bring laughter and joy into our lives.

This concludes the segment of Let's get Personal - The moderator Edition. I hope you've enjoyed reading these Q&As.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Let's get Personal - The moderator Edition V
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 06:54:13 PM »

:detta