The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 08:46:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129553
  • Total Topics: 7150
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 9-11  (Read 23345 times)

SeK612

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-8
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dreamwater.net/cult/
9-11
« on: September 11, 2002, 01:08:57 PM »

One Year on

(Though someone should metion it...)

Funnies: 123

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2002, 01:19:01 PM »

You're a moron.

(Thought someone should mention it..)

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

SeK612

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
9-11
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2002, 01:39:59 PM »

Errr sure dude  :?

Believe it or not its not been to bigger deal over here. Sure theres been stuff on tele but no silence at school and no-one was talking about it.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2002, 02:02:34 PM »

Good.  Personally, I'd rather not see people mourning, meaning that they are doing it sincerely in private than making a big show of it for everyone else.

But then, that was why you made this thread, right?

SeK612

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
9-11
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2002, 02:28:29 PM »

Not really. I just though it would be an interesting thing to chat about and felt everyone would have alot to say on the subject. I was also curious as to what everyone else felt about it.

Admittedly the main view over here was shock and a huge feeling of loss even if most of us have never been to the U.S. But there was also the underlying feeling that it was the U.S's problem and mabye a slight - thats a slight - understanding of the "Terroists"  hatred towards the western "civilised" countries (  not the killing of innocent civilians though ) - including us - that have dominated the 3rd world for years. We also resented the way our government seems to be on the side of the Americans even when we - the public - disagree.

I for one also feel that it is unfair of the U.S military to crush anyone who stands up to them, even if  America is the "greatest" country in the world.

Finally on iraq. I feel its unfair that they seem to want to destroy them for possesing the same weapons as the U.S army. O.K so they're a supposed threat but so are loads of other countries - Russia and China to name a few - so why aren't they fighting them ? ( aside from the fack that both those counties would fight back and do a pretty good job at it as well ). Alas all of this is just creating more terroists - this word could also be used to describe the U.S and other milatry forces that batter people into submission mind - and encouraging more hatred and I fear that this isn't the last of events like 9 - 11.

SeK 612

( if anyone actually bothers to read it I doubt they'll agree but still its just one view on the whole situation )

Anonymous

9-11
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2002, 02:44:34 PM »

There was a memorial held at city hall and about 250 people attended including the police and fire department staff. There where a few speech, some music and they sang. I was supprised at the number of people that participated since we are not even in the US. I'm glad we had the memorial activity going on because it shows great respect and sincere compassion to our US friends but I hope they don't bring it back every year.

In recent weeks, the media has made a huge fuss and stired up all the emotions again. They also increase the paranoia levels of the general population with their speculations about more attacks. Frankly, I think we will always remember 9-11 without having to see all the images over and over and over onces again. Its a tragic time that I would like to forget but will never be able to. But still, people should move on even if its difficult. We cannot change the past. But we can certainly determine our future.

Anonymous

9-11
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2002, 03:23:13 PM »

Quote from: SeK612
I for one also feel that it is unfair of the U.S military to crush anyone who stands up to them, even if  America is the "greatest" country in the world.

Don't crush the people that knocked the Trade Towers down? Don't crush the people that crashed a plane into the Pentagon? Don't crush the people that caused a plane to crash in Pennsylvania?

Finally on iraq. I feel its unfair that they seem to want to destroy them for possesing the same weapons as the U.S army.

Mr. Saddam violated a legal document that he signed after he got destroyed in the Gulf War that said something to the extent of "I will allow UN weapon inspectors to come in and inspect, and I will also not build, nor hold any nuclear or biologial weapons in my possession". Since he has been working on making more, and already has some, we (the US) can legally go in and oust him.

I think one day a year of rememberence is ok. It starts getting "annoying" when the media keeps on bringing it up over and over and over again. We will always remember that day, but we do not have to be reminded to always remember something like that.

I do, however, have great problems with all of those people that say that the people in those planes and buildings deserved it. Ignorance. :evil:

SeK612

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
9-11
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2002, 03:44:24 PM »

I do, however, have great problems with all of those people that say that the people in those planes and buildings deserved it.

I did not say that I agree with the killing of innocent civilians but how else are they ( some of the poorest countries in the world ) to go about stating their unrest? Sure a peacfull demonstration would be nice but who would have listened? And yes it would be nice for all countrys to have the same military might as the U.S so instead of flying planes into buildings and blowing themselves up they could use tanks and missiles, like U.S do so freely, and then they could fight a "proper" war to register their unrest and fight like for like...but then I'm sure people wouldn't like that.

Anonymous

9-11
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2002, 03:52:47 PM »

That last sentence wasn't towards you. Just to let you know. It's just another one of those things that bothers me a lot if I don't say it. Err... type it.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2002, 04:25:36 PM »

Personally, I will remember this day...however. No offense to anyone, or to the US, or to ANYONE IN THIS GREAT WORLD OF OURS, but I am NOT mourning, holding banquets, etc.

I mean, Canada WAS affected by this very dearly, however, not everyone really mourned those unfortunate people who passed away.

I'm glad there are no further attacks...for the present moment.

blitzrieg bop

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
9-11
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2002, 04:31:57 PM »

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
9-11
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2002, 05:42:05 AM »

::claps::

Chris, Demo, TheJudge...my thoughts exactly.
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

Banshee

• Geek
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
9-11
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2002, 05:44:14 AM »

BTW Blitz, did ya notice that most of the people who "virtually lit" a candle were Chinese or Aussie-an? Huh....

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2002, 07:49:01 AM »

Yeah, I kinda noticed that too. Eerie.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2002, 07:52:23 AM »

And the REALLY STUPID thing is:

Some asshole put his name as "Bin Laden" and told everyone that he hated em.

That's really very sad to think that some poser is out there doing that.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2002, 09:25:42 AM »

I did not say that I agree with the killing of innocent civilians but how else are they ( some of the poorest countries in the world ) to go about stating their unrest? Sure a peacfull demonstration would be nice but who would have listened? And yes it would be nice for all countrys to have the same military might as the U.S so instead of flying planes into buildings and blowing themselves up they could use tanks and missiles, like U.S do so freely, and then they could fight a "proper" war to register their unrest and fight like for like...but then I'm sure people wouldn't like that.
Shut the fuck up.

I'm a Libertarian.  That basically means that I feel disenfranchised by the very government that is supposed to be protecting my rights.  That means that politically speaking, I have almost no effective voice in my own country.  That means that a bunch of people who have no love of the individual freedom and principles on which the Constitution was written around have taken over my country and have turned it into something worse than what we were under two hundred years ago that justified a revolution.

Does that give me an EXCUSE to intentionally target civilians to make my point?

I don't have any missiles or tanks.  But I have an axe to grind!  By your stupid logic, anyone that feels that they are "oppressed" in some way is 100% legit in making a couple thousand victims  in a non-military target, and it will be excused because they "don't have another way to go about stating their unrest"?

Intentional slaughter of innocent civilians is never an option.  It is never excusable, and it is never, EVER forgivable.

This is why Timothy McVeigh got the spike.

This is why every single participant and planner of the 1972 Munich Olympics terrorist attack wound up with a bullet in the head.  It took the Mossad years and years to find some of them, but in the end, they tracked down every single fucking coward that had anything to do with that senseless murder of non-combatants, of civilians, of ATHLETES, and killed them like the animals that they were.

It is people like you that I despise.  You want to reach out a hand to these cowardly barbarians and say "I understand you".  What you don't realize is that they will never take your hand and welcome your soft, squishy understanding.

They will, however, pull out a nice, long, curved, scimitar and chop your hand off for you.

So in conclusion, you're even MORE of a fucking imbecile than I originally gave you credit for, if that's even remotely possible.  I had suspected as much, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.  I always have hopes that I'm wrong when I smell idiocy in the air, but you, my friend, I was right about all along.

Now go scurry off and hang around with your pacifist wanna-be's.  Don't forget to wave a flag (doesn't matter which one), and make sure EVERYONE sees you doing it.  You wouldn't want to appear to be not grieving or something...

Fucking hypocrite.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2002, 09:41:35 AM »

Like who?  Iraq?  The country that invaded one of its neighbors, unprovoked, slaughtered thousands of Kuwaiti civilians and plundered its cities, and blew up its oil wells?

Oh yeah, it was SO wrong for the Iraqi army to get crushed for that.  They should have been left alone, huh?

And the Taliban!  All they were doing was beating a few women into submission, slaughtering entire villages of their own people, and training thousands of mindless cowards to do things like blow up cars in crowded civilian city streets, set off bombs in schools, blow up embassies,  crash 767's into buildings that at another time of day may have held as many as 50,000 civilians... those poor Taliban chaps didn't do ANYTHING to deserve the military response they received!

So let me get this straight.  Everybody the US sends its military against has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to bring that kind of response on themselves?  That the US military is only wandering around, picking fights?

Again, shut the fuck up.  You belong over on FARK.  Or on Yellowtimes.  You'll find other people of your particular political bent over in those places, and you should feel comfortable.  Many of them have no fucking clue about things going on in the world around them too, and many of them just automatically place the blame on a convenient scapegoat.

The US's foreign policy is regrettable, I will definitely be the first to admit.  But it doesn't really matter what we as a country do.  When we don't get involved, we are criticized by ignorant jackasses like yourself for being all "high and mighty and don't care about anyone but themselves", even though we have our own mouths to feed, and our own problems in our own country.

Yet when we DO intervene in world affairs, we're suddenly "pushing everyone around with our military might and economic imperialism".

Of course, this is just my assessment of peers of yours who are better capable than you are of understanding, let alone spelling those mighty big words I just used... you're just a fledgeling idiot who doesn't even know how to argue yet.  Learn the rhetoric.  Then come back here and pick a fight with me.  I'll still take you apart, but at least then it won't look like I'm beating up a third grader.

SeK612

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
9-11
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2002, 10:00:49 AM »

gotta agree with you...my spelling does suck  :lol:

Banshee

• Geek
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
9-11
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2002, 03:22:41 PM »

I'd like to quote myself in another thread...

"Do you smell something burning?"

::claps::

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ice-on-fire.net
9-11
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2002, 04:05:37 PM »

Chris once said "arguing with demo, you automatically lose"

or something of that nature.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2002, 04:08:45 PM »

I don't enter arguments I know I can't win.

Anyway, this moron had it coming, and caught me in just the wrong mood today.   :evil:

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2002, 04:17:04 PM »

I'll remember that for the next time....

I for one, like arguing for the sake of arguing. But don't get me wrong, I DO NOT do it ALL THE FUCKING time.

It's a waste of man-power, typing all that shit in.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2002, 04:19:46 PM »

I hear ya.  I save up all my really good diatribes for those that really, really deserve them.  Like this one over on HN...

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2002, 04:33:39 PM »

Jesus Christ Demo! I just finished reading 2 pages of that shit, and all I can say is CHRIST! You sure know how to argue...

I'm gonna pack my bullshit, and not say anything to piss you off.  :lol:

I hope that's ok with you...

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
9-11
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2002, 04:55:19 PM »

Well, that's what happens when you bottle up your anger for a whole year... ;)

Pages: [1] 2 3