The Geek Forum

• May 13, 2024, 03:53:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129629
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 191
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: DHTML Question  (Read 4074 times)

PhoenixBlue

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sydneyone.net
DHTML Question
« on: September 17, 2002, 03:55:05 PM »

Okay. I'm stumped. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

I have an ASP page that has two forms I need to post to update the options in two different select elements based on what the user selects in a third select element. I have two separate functions that perform the Form.submit()s. I was trying to use one event on the third select element to call both functions, i.e. <select ... onchange="updateOwner(); updateType();" ... /> If I comment out either one of the Form.submit()s it works fine, otherwise it will only execute the second submit. I tried having a different event call one of the functions (onchange="updateOwner();" onafterupdate="updateType();") but still only the second one executes.

Oh, and the reason I have to do a form.submit() and call another web page is that the values to populate the option list are database driven (SQL) and I have to call an in-house DLL (VB) to retreive the recordset. We don't connect to our backend directly from our ASP pages.

Help?

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
DHTML Question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2002, 04:01:51 PM »

Ok, first, you would want to take the square root of the first selection, in radians, and give an A/S/L. Then, using the function form.getcheese(), you can get a third answer, which is your replicant. Finally, add the two together, and get the cheese, which you then trickle down from. Don't forget to comment on the quality.

See? Problem solved.   :P
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

PhoenixBlue

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
DHTML Question
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2002, 06:42:55 PM »

lol. Thanks Banshee. This is the Geekery right? While it may not make sense to you another programmer will understand. I still haven't gotten it to work.

DogStarMan

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +70/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.virtualom.com
DHTML Question
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2002, 05:41:20 AM »

I'd offer my advice, but unfortunately, my ASP skills are primitive compared to yours, so I don't have anything to offer except for this...

PhoenixBlue

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
DHTML Question
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2002, 08:12:21 AM »

Lol. Thanks for the thought DSM. I've got it working now. I changed it around so I only have to post one form, and call one ASP page, to update both drop down boxes. It doesn't adhere to our standards, but several things in this application don't... and I'm going to be rewritting it  in .NET next year anyway.

Banshee

• Geek
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
DHTML Question
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2002, 08:21:59 AM »

I do program Java...but I'm more or less a beginner. I've also had some C++ and Basic experience too, but I didn't recognize the format or syntax of what you had written....the function calls were familiar but I had no idea about the rest.

So, my point is, is ASP another language or just a form of Java/something else?

PhoenixBlue

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
DHTML Question
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2002, 08:29:18 AM »

ASP is a platform, not a language. An ASP page may consist of HTML/DHTML, javascript, vbscript and calls to the intrinsic ASP objects (written by M$ and running on the IIS web server) Request, QueryString, Response, etc. You can also utilize XML/XSLT, databinding and calls to other DLLs (like ADO or in-house components) on an ASP page. All of our business applications are web based. Our backend is SQL, our business layer (middle tier) componets are VB and the GUI is, of course, in ASP.

Banshee

• Geek
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
DHTML Question
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2002, 08:42:12 AM »

Isn't this sort of thing what Java was intended to do? Meaning platform-nonspecific programming?

But you can call .dll's too...

Well, I'm impressed, but that's not too hard. Like I said earlier, I'm a network newbie.

What company do you work for Phoenix?

DogStarMan

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +70/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.virtualom.com
DHTML Question
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2002, 08:43:55 AM »

Quote from: PhoenixBlue
ASP is a platform, not a language. An ASP page may consist of HTML/DHTML, javascript, vbscript and calls to the intrinsic ASP objects (written by M$ and running on the IIS web server) Request, QueryString, Response, etc. You can also utilize XML/XSLT, databinding and calls to other DLLs (like ADO or in-house components) on an ASP page. All of our business applications are web based. Our backend is SQL, our business layer (middle tier) componets are VB and the GUI is, of course, in ASP.

All that knowledge and she still has time to sing in a band...simply amazing :P

PhoenixBlue

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
DHTML Question
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2002, 09:34:08 AM »

DSM -  aw shucks  :beer:  

Banshee - Well, yes, Java is platform independent. ASP is not. I work for a company called SpectraSite (the chapter 11 by the way is our parent holding company, not our operating company, so I'm still gainfully employed at present) and we're a M$ shop. All our servers are Win2K which IIS and ASP run on. We could still use Java, Perl, etc. as IIS supports CGI but we don't. One reason is because VB6 and InterDev are RAD tools (rapid application development). If I wanted to create a window container in Java, I'd have to write all the code to handle letting the user change the container (resize, change colors, handle mouse events, etc.). With the tools we use, these are intrinsic parts of the base classes, so we can get on to high level business rule programming instead of spending time on low-level object functionality.