The Geek Forum

• May 14, 2024, 06:14:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129631
  • Total Topics: 7188
  • Online Today: 191
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Too Much Faith in Humanity?  (Read 23343 times)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Too Much Faith in Humanity?
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2005, 08:50:31 AM »

Quote from: jeee
Demo, out of curiousity. What do you have to pay then ? nothing for health insurance or unemployment risk or things like that ?. Or is that the responsibilty of the individual and therefor you arrange these things privately ?

I'm not clear what you're asking here.  If I want health insurance, I pay for it.  If I don't want health insurance, I don't pay for it.  It's ultimately my responsibility if I get sick or injured and need medical care (unless it's somebody else's fault I got injured or something).

Why would I expect someone else to pay for my health care?  That would be pretty selfish of me.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2005, 09:50:56 AM »

As I said, I was wondering how things were arranged in the US without being judgmental about it. I got my answer, thanks.

Edit: and what happens if the person that injures you has no insurance ?

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2005, 10:04:31 AM »

Quote from: jeee
As I said, I was wondering how things were arranged in the US without being judgmental about it. I got my answer, thanks.

Edit: and what happens if the person that injures you has no insurance ?

Kind of depends on the circumstances.  If it's an automobile accident, they're in deep shit.  In most states in the US, it is required by law to have a minimum level of liability insurance coverage if you are driving a motor vehicle, for just this sort of reason.

If you are injured through some other sort of act it depends on who is at fault and what the nature of the injuries are.  If I'm hurt on the job, my employer is responsible for covering my health care costs associated with the injury.  If they don't/can't/won't pay, then they get taken to court, and if I have a good case, they get their asses sued off.

But if it's just some random idiot that walks up to me and hits me with a baseball bat or something, there are other legal recourses.

My point is, in cases such as driving or working, there are requirements with regard to insurance, and a lack of compliance with said requirements does not in ANY way absolve the liable party of responsibility if their actions or negligence results in injury to someone else.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2005, 11:26:56 AM »

Same as in the Netherlands more or less, it is required by law here to have insurance only here the government also takes care of getting the money and distributing it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]