The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 12:17:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72

Author Topic: QOTD  (Read 307617 times)

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
Re: QOTD
« Reply #1700 on: April 04, 2008, 07:04:41 AM »

I give the keys to the mechanic and I tell them I need an oil change. I don't know what they put it, and I don't really care.

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: April 04, 2008, 07:06:35 AM »

QOTD: Where are you going / What are you doing  on your vacation this year?

Finger Lakes Wine festival in July. 
Probably a week in Maine sometime this summer at the in-laws place on a lake.
Hopefully two weeks in Maui late September early Oct time frame.

The pay sucks but working for a University has it's perks.

pb where in RI?  you might be in my neck of the woods.....
--this space intentionally left blank--

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: April 04, 2008, 07:26:11 AM »

pb where in RI?  you might be in my neck of the woods.....

- Width    37 miles (60 km)
 - Length    48 miles (77 km)

It looks to me like anywhere would be in your neck of the woods.   :-D

There are counties in other states bigger than that.   :lol:

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: April 04, 2008, 08:52:21 AM »

- Width    37 miles (60 km)
 - Length    48 miles (77 km)

It looks to me like anywhere would be in your neck of the woods.   :-D

There are counties in other states bigger than that.   :lol:
Hey it may be a small state but it's got one of the highest tax rates!

Crap.  That isn't something to be proud of is it?

Well we've also got the mob.  And Coffee Milk.  And Del's Lemonade.

So there  :slap
--this space intentionally left blank--

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #1704 on: April 04, 2008, 12:41:11 PM »

Some place called Bonnet Shores I think.  And yes we should meet up.  I think we'll be there August 17th through maybe the 20th depending on how long it takes before we get sick of her family and bolt.

12AX7

« Reply #1705 on: April 04, 2008, 04:05:26 PM »

2ndQOTD: When was the last time you changed your smoke detector batteries?

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: April 04, 2008, 04:08:45 PM »

3 weeks ago.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: April 04, 2008, 04:11:22 PM »

Smoke detectors? What smoke detectors?

You mean those little white round things we had pry off the wall to shut up after we... yeah. No clue when the last we changed those. Supposed to be done every six months, I think.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: April 04, 2008, 04:20:01 PM »

Well, for years I spent good money on Duracells, Energizers and Kirklands, and not once did the stupid alarm detect any smoke. Not once. Waste of fucking batteries, if you ask me. Now it detects no smoke for free.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: April 04, 2008, 04:22:58 PM »

We changed ours when our CO detector went off.  I think it was in January.  We then learned that we had to air the bastard out every once in a while.

12AX7

« Reply #1710 on: April 04, 2008, 04:30:56 PM »

Well, for years I spent good money on Duracells, Energizers and Kirklands, and not once did the stupid alarm detect any smoke. Not once. Waste of fucking batteries, if you ask me. Now it detects no smoke for free.
Did you try maybe replacing the smoke detector? They're only about $12.
 Having spent 7 years in a volunteer fire department, if you ask ME, they're worth every penny. I've personally seen people who have escaped their house fire because the smoke detector woke them up. I've also been to homes that had no smoke detectors, and pulled bodies out.
 It seems so insignificant doesn't it? So does air.
 Anyway; make your own decision, but if you have anyone else living with you; at least make an informed one, and not an off-the-cuff, irritated one. You might not be the one asleep at home when the fire starts.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: April 04, 2008, 04:32:26 PM »

(it was a joak)

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

12AX7

« Reply #1712 on: April 04, 2008, 04:34:06 PM »

k..  so can I say mine is for anyone who actually does think they're pointless?  :?

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: April 04, 2008, 04:36:29 PM »

Yes, and there's nothing wrong with taking this very seriously.

So, seriously: I change smoke detectors every 3-4 years just in case, and batteries when I think of it. I just put a new one up in Jan.

Also, joking aside, it goes off when the oven is being cleaned, so I know it works, and it's a comforting thought.

12AX7

« Reply #1714 on: April 04, 2008, 04:37:56 PM »

:-) Very cool. I love hearing people have them and keep them operating.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: April 04, 2008, 04:38:54 PM »

Is there a particular one you recommend to a home that has a working fireplace and a working woodstove? If we leave the damn things connected, the moment we light up the fireplace, the little bastard go off in a heartbeat. It's nice to know they work, but we use the fireplace/woodstove regualrly in the winter to cut heating costs, which means, they are ALWAYS going off and they take FOREVER to shut up. Since most of the household is 3rd shift and these things go off in the middle of the day, they get hanked off the wall.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: April 04, 2008, 04:39:50 PM »

We heat the house using a fireplace, but no smoke escapes into the house, because we have this device called a chimbley.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: April 04, 2008, 04:43:50 PM »

As far as we can tell, there is no smoke coming into the house either, but according to the smoke detectors there is. We've had the chimney cleaned - 3 times - and had an inspector come by just to double check and make everything was working properly. It was. Damn things still go off if you so much as light a match.
We made stir fry one night and flashed the oil in the pan, that was enough to set off the whole house. I'm not joking here. It's unreasonable.

12AX7

« Reply #1718 on: April 04, 2008, 04:46:08 PM »

Is there a particular one you recommend to a home that has a working fireplace and a working woodstove?
Get one with a 'nuisance' button, and see if there might be a better location to install it. I use a woodstove, too, and mine do the same thing...  "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....
 DAMN the fckers are loud and piercing.

Here is a .pdf link with some good info on smoke detectors/what type/ and where to install them.
 http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/559.pdf

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: April 04, 2008, 04:50:20 PM »

Oil:  I change my oil with r-e-g-U-l-4-r oil.  I gotta do that soon.

Smoke detector.  I haven't changed the battery, but I know it works.  Like you guys', it goes off every single time I roast a red pepper in the oven.  I plan on doing it tonight so I better bust out the bar stool so I can take the battery out of the smoke detector.  I love standing on a bar stool on the top of the stairs taking that battery out when I've had a little to drink.  I'm going to get hurt seriously one day.

And my smoke detector did save my ass once.  I was burning a candle in my room too close to a tissue.  The smoke alarm went off and I was able to put the fire out before it became a big deal.  That was scary. 
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: April 04, 2008, 04:52:20 PM »

Forgot about the oil.  I buy whatever is available at Costco by the case.  The oil change people that come to work use Chevron 10w40 I think and I also think that's what the current case is that we last bought from Costco.  Before that I think it was Castrol 10w40

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #1721 on: April 04, 2008, 04:58:54 PM »

We then learned that we had to air the bastard out every once in a while.

F.S.T.O.O.C.O.T.D.!!!!   :lol:

I used to build evil devices from smoke detector components when I was a kid.  I don't have any of the more elaborate ones anymore, but I still do have one that has a light sensor soldered in.  I used to hide that one in peoples' top desk drawers.  When they'd open their desk, light would hit the sensor and complete the circuit and make the noisemaker part go BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I'm really surprised I never got that one taken away from me.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: April 04, 2008, 05:20:21 PM »

I use regular Pennzoil.

As far as smoke detectors, I change them when they start that inconsistent beeping to let you know the battery is low.  When I updated the panel on the house, to have a sub panel for the new garage, several years ago it was a code requirement to have them all tied together and hard wired.  So the batteries are more of a back up.  I can't believe all of them would have the batteries die at the same time.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +119/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: April 05, 2008, 12:34:43 AM »

Pa. town mourns 10 fire victims

By DANIEL LOVERING and GENARO C. ARMAS, Associated Press Writers Fri Apr 4, 6:48 PM ET

BROCKWAY, Pa. - With his house ablaze in the middle of the night, 11-year-old James Peterson rushed through the home to rouse the rest of his family from bed before going to a neighbor to ask for help. Except for his 20-year-old sister, Elizabeth, who also escaped, James would never see those inside the house again.

Nine members of the Peterson family were among the 10 who died in the blaze that swept quickly through the two-story home in this small western Pennsylvania community. James' father was at work at the time. On Friday, the surviving siblings were in seclusion at their grandfather's home a short drive away in Brockport. The grandfather, Douglas Peterson, recounted the stories told by the grandchildren.

"He's 11, he woke everybody up," Douglas Peterson said of James. "He woke everybody up. He's my little hero." The fire appears to have started in the first-floor living room. State police Trooper Bruce Morris said Friday that investigators were focusing their efforts there. Fire Chief Chris Benson said investigators had not yet pinpointed a cause.

Authorities say space heaters were being used inside the two-story frame house, and that they did not know if the house had working smoke detectors. Gas service had been off at the house since May 2005, said Julie Coppola-Cox, a spokeswoman for National Fuel Gas Distribution Corp., the company that supplies natural gas to the area. Douglas Peterson said he rushed to the house after receiving a call from a neighbor. A former volunteer firefighter, he saw the raging blaze when he arrived. "I was there. ... I knew nobody was going to get out. But I had two get out alive, and thank God they didn't get hurt," he said.

Douglas Peterson's son, Douglas Jr., was working the overnight shift when the fire occurred. "He's a zombie walking down the road from work," Douglas Peterson Sr. said. "The firemen are standing there waiting for him. Of course, it broke my heart."

On Friday, Douglas Jr. had to identify bodies and set up funeral arrangements. A viewing for all 10 victims was scheduled for Sunday and a memorial service for Monday afternoon in a Brockway High School auditorium, said Melissa Shugarts, of Carlson-Shugarts Funeral Home Inc.

Kimberly Peterson died along with five of her children: Rebecca Peterson, 17; Douglas Peterson III, 13; Isaac Peterson, 8; Grace Peterson, 6; and Lillian Peterson, 11 months. Also killed were Cailyn Watson, 4 months, who was Rebecca Peterson's daughter; Domanic Dellulo, 4; Desiree Delullo, 2; and Jason Mowry, 19. The Dellulos were the children of Elizabeth Peterson. Mowry was a family friend.

According to Douglas Peterson Sr., Elizabeth, also helped awaken the rest of the family, including her mother. Kimberly Peterson had gone to retrieve the two smallest children. Elizabeth, meanwhile, managed to get up onto a roof, he said. She later jumped down from the second floor and ran naked and screaming for help, witnesses said. "She said, 'Grandpa, they were gone,'" Peterson said, recounting a conversation with Elizabeth moments after he arrived. "I said, 'That's what the smoke does, honey. They took one gulp and they were gone.'"

Friends and neighbors grieved with the family. Douglas Peterson Sr. said many have offered donations and pans of food. "Brockway is a small town. Everyone bands together," said Linda Foringer, a vice president at the Priority First Credit Union, which set up a charitable fund for the victims.

Monique Monteville, whose children had played sports with some of the victims, brought heart-shaped balloons and teddy bears to the house Friday afternoon. She left them with investigators, who placed them on the concrete front steps. Classes and other normal activities went on as scheduled at area schools. Students were excused for the day if needed, and grief counselors were on standby.

Painful reminders were everywhere. Outside the kindergarten classroom of 6-year-old Grace Peterson, one of the victims, was a recent handwritten assignment in which students were asked where they would want to go if they had a plane ticket. "I want to go to North Pole," Grace scribbled.

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: the only proof that he needed for the existence of God was music." -kurt vonnegut

sociald1077

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +129/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: April 05, 2008, 03:40:46 AM »

2ndQOTD: When was the last time you changed your smoke detector batteries?

Apartment maintenance came by about a year a year ago i think and did it.
"Guns don't kill people! PHYSICS kill people!" - Dick Soloman
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72