The Geek Forum

• May 10, 2024, 01:06:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129627
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 159
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: popular loves geeks  (Read 15876 times)

QueenBee

• Banned Off Her Throne
  • Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-22
    • View Profile
popular loves geeks
« on: August 20, 2006, 08:22:28 AM »

hi honeys...my name's Lizzie,19 and im a blonde popular girl with a huge,secret crush on hot geek boys...plz dont tell nobody cuz i might lose my rep okay? okay luv ya cya around the forum u rule  8-) :evil:

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Re: popular loves geeks
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 08:42:58 AM »

You should use proper grammar when using an online forum.  In the online forum arena, your comments are all you have to represent who you are.   Well, that's not entirely true.  You also have your screen name, your avatar and perhaps a signature image.  Most people will take the time to pick an avatar and screen name that represent them in some way.  A guy that likes cars might pick "Car Freak" as his screen name and a picture of his car as the avatar.  Those are easy.  This same guy might take an hour or two and create a sweet custom image to include as his signature on each of his posts.  Why then would he want to go about trying to communicate his stories, thoughts and opinions using anything less than words and grammar that represent who he is?  Capitalization and punctuation aren't difficult.  They're not even time consuming.  If you're not good at either, there's a great way to get better... practice. 

Now, if you're a smelly, lazy slob who doesn't care at all about his appearance and you go about your daily life looking at your shoes and mumbling under your breath while you look away from the person you're addressing, then I suppose bad grammar online could be expected.  At the same time, one might argue that the Internet environment is a great opportunity to present yourself in a light you'd like others to see you in, rather than the light you live in.  To wit, if you're a person of few words with little knowledge on any topic, you could potentially present yourself as a verbose individual with great knowledge on a variety of topics by using the Internet as the great resource that it is.  Over time, this may actually affect who you are and make you a better person. 

One might argue that presenting yourself in such a way is a misrepresentation and that it is unfair to those around you.  I would argue that if you're doing these things in an effort to present yourself as a better person, you will, in fact become that better person.  Anecdotal evidence can be found in my very own story.  When I started participating in online forums, my first foray was at Fark.com's forum.   If you acted stupid or couldn't spell to save your life, you were quickly shunned by the forum regulars.  However, if you made an effort and you were even mildly entertaining, they'd tolerate some stupidity.  At the time I joined, I was a horrible speller.  People pointed it out to me regularly.  So, I decided to pretend that I never misspelled anything by typing out my comments in Microsoft Word and using spell-check before I posted every comment.  Instantly, I was a perfect speller!  In actuality, I remained a horrible speller for some time after that, but each time I would encounter a misspelled word in my comment, I would write that word down on a pad and keep that pad nearby.  Eventually, I found that my spelling was improving and that I no longer needed that spelling pad.  Why?  Because I made the effort.  Had I refused to make any effort, I would have never been accepted into the group of great people that you see here (and elsewhere that we all hang out online.)  I would have never improved my spelling and I probably would have been shunned at discussion forum after discussion forum.

One of the great things about discussion forums is that they're not as fast paced as the rapid-fire AIM conversation room.  You can take your time to formulate your thoughts so that they flow.  You can assemble and reassemble your comments over and over until you're completely satisfied with them.  This is a wise thing to do because once your comments are out there, they can be read over and over and scrutinized and torn apart.  In an effort to prevent all of that ripping apart of your comments, you can take the time to do some cursory research on the topic to see if there are any sites supporting your viewpoint.  You might even want to take a moment to search out he opposing viewpoint and make an argument against the anticipated retort before the service is returned.  This would be silly and impractical in a chat room environment.  By the time you got done with your research and your typing and retyping, the conversation will have likely moved on to something completely different.  Typing in AIM shorthand is fine in an AIM chat room.  Your average forum may even accept such behavior from time to time.  Some may even tolerate it regularly.  This is not one of those forums (the latter.)  It is more like the former.  A quick comment... A one liner... An inside joke and even your occasional 1337 speak can be funny regardless of grammar used.  I think you'll find, though, the majority of the comments posted on this board will follow at least the most common grammar rules.  Sentences will start with capital letters and end with some type of punctuation.  Commas, while not always used correctly, are attempted most of the time.  [Commas are strange creatures as, for most, they are a stylistic tool rather than a grammar tool.]  Names, unless un-capitalized screen names, will begin with a capital letter, and in my case, end with a capital letter, too.

You can call us grammar Nazis if you'd like.  We won't be offended.  It's a chip we'll proudly wear on our shoulders.  You can go away mad and think we're snobbish or even elitist.  We won't miss you.  You will have been one of many who didn't measure up and wouldn't make the attempt to measure up.  Two weeks from now, your only thread will have either gone completely off topic so as to be unrecognizable, or it will have fallen off the radar and forgotten for all time.  The vast majority of the regulars here are professionals with no desire to decipher childish gibberish in order to find a funny.  Our time, at least to us, is worth more than that.  I hope you understand.

And.... welcome
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

QueenBee

• Banned Off Her Throne
  • Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 09:26:37 AM »

okay honey you have given me a very warm welcome which stands for the name of this forum perfectly....its all clear now for me :))) haha...and well thank you I'm sure the novel you wrote me above is fascinating and I'm sure you are right in whatever you said :D keep rolling(if you ever did of course) and thanks

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 11:40:26 AM »

I don't see you lasting long around here.

QueenBee

• Banned Off Her Throne
  • Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 12:11:36 PM »

lol its very naive of you to think I would stay here for long....that would actually make me one of you...:)) and neither of us wants that honey  8-)  Oh and I don't want to be,like you,OFF-TOPIC,and I will add in the correct introdction section,that I am 19 and am from Russia,Eastern Europe and have lived in the U.S for 2 years.And I'm here to have fun :))...like all of you...just maybe in a different way who knows?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 12:40:37 PM by QueenBee »

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 02:15:36 PM »

Ok, who copied this picture from www.sprinbreakhoneys.com and made the account AND is probably laughing his ass off right now. My first guess would be Xolik but it could be demosthenes as well.

QueenBee

• Banned Off Her Throne
  • Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 02:18:23 PM »

thanks for the compliment...u think im hot gotcha :)))...well check my website if u want to see for urself im real...thanks for the compliment again...i appreciate it...luv ya

jeee

• Dork
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 02:31:06 PM »

I don't think your hot honey. Intelligence rocks my boat.

QueenBee

• Banned Off Her Throne
  • Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 02:37:41 PM »

yea thats why u though i was somebody from the forum :)))))))) do i sound geekish-stupid??..intelligent people rock...but not geeks...I always said:if ure smart get out there and prove it..speak it out...why not have intelligence AND popularity?think about it u can have it

jeee

• Dork
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 02:46:08 PM »

(snip) yea thats why u though i was somebody from the forum :)))))))) 9 (snip)

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 03:39:35 PM »

yea thats why u though i was somebody from the forum :)))))))) do i sound geekish-stupid??..intelligent people rock...but not geeks...I always said:if ure smart get out there and prove it..speak it out...why not have intelligence AND popularity?think about it u can have it

Wow...she's kind of stupid isn't she? First she says she has a crush on geek boys, and then she berates geeks such...self depricating, no?

12AX7

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 05:28:21 PM »

...self depricating, no?
Yeh. Or deprecating; depending on how hardcore you are. I'm not, thouhg.

Scheherazade

• Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 05:29:56 PM »

How can anybody use so many parentheses?

12AX7

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 05:32:19 PM »

Maybe the white-out dripped on the keyboard " 0 " or a shift key...

Scheherazade

• Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 05:45:34 PM »

I'm just glad she's gone. Now I KNOW there's no God.

12AX7

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 05:47:22 PM »

Well, there has to be an equal and opposite...

Scheherazade

• Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 05:54:20 PM »

Such a stain on the underpants of society should be Oxy-cleaned the fuck out.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 05:56:17 PM »

Ok, who copied this picture from www.sprinbreakhoneys.com and made the account AND is probably laughing his ass off right now. My first guess would be Xolik but it could be demosthenes as well.

Oh, hey, not me.  :-(
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Scheherazade

• Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 05:57:06 PM »

Does anybody actually see a picture at that link?

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 05:58:08 PM »

Does anybody actually see a picture at that link?

Nope. But I can imagine it was something funny.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 05:59:29 PM »

Nope. But I can imagine it was something funny.

Definitely.  They assumed either you did it or I did it, so it must be hilarious.  :)

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Scheherazade

• Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2006, 08:52:09 AM »

Definitely.  They assumed either you did it or I did it, so it must be hilarious.  :)

Or possibly, if it was Demo, something very, very sad...

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 11:23:06 AM »

We'll know for sure if one of them starts calling everyone, Honey.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2006, 11:38:02 AM »

It probably wasn't either of them, Honey.

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 04:04:55 PM »

It probably wasn't either of them, Honey.

Hmmm. 

Well who else could it be?

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?
Pages: [1] 2 3