The Geek Forum

• May 10, 2024, 05:49:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129623
  • Total Topics: 7186
  • Online Today: 152
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Saddam has left the building...  (Read 20045 times)

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
Re: Saddam has left the building...
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2007, 08:20:48 PM »

How do you know for sure it's not resulting from a mental illnesss?

If we can't treat it, it's unfortunate, but we can't treat it. If someone is a danger to those around them, and we can't help them then I see no other option. These people are useless to society, and thus there is no reason to keep them alive. All they do is consume.

Seriously, that statement scares me. Making the assuming that any rapist is beyond redemption is not good enough for me. No matter how disgusting their actions are, those people need help more than anything. As it ever occur to you that a sociopath may have abnormal brain activity and perhaps a mental disease is contributing to how they think, feel, and view the world? So if they are in fact sick and could perhaps be helped trough medication, psychiatric treatment, and perhaps even surgery, should we just ignore that and just kill them just because it's convenient? By doing so, aren't we guilty of a similar crime?

If we can help them, I say we go for it. But a lot of rapists do it because they don't bother to control themselves. The United States already does not execute people with mental illnesses, so really your arguments are irrelevant, because I'm arguing for the death penalty, which already can't be applied to the people you're saying we shouldn't kill.

What if we decided that people with cancer didn't deserve to live and we started to execute those diagnosed with the disease instead of treating them? What if we didn't fund cancer research, didn't pay attention to the cause, didn't invest time and money in finding solutions to the problem, and simply spend 1$ on a bullet for each person diagnosed with cancer instead? What kind of society would we live in? Certainly not one I'd want to be a part of. Why can't the same principle apply to the criminals who are perhaps simply victims themselves.

People with cancer are not a danger to those around them. They haven't harmed those around them. That is the difference.

First, how do you define what a bad egg is, and second how do you become one? Are you born already a bad egg, or is it learned behaviors and principles that turn you into one? If that's the case, why you couldn't relearn and to become a good egg. You have the capacity to learn.

People are defined by their actions, not their birth, at least in my mind, obviously not in yours. It can be born, if someone is born with a split personality, or if someone is born that is prone to violence, but I for one happen to think it's acquired. Anyway, after someone is far gone enough, they can't be reformed. Some things can't be changed after a while, some things are permanent. If it's caught before they've harmed someone else, I'd say it's worth a try, but after they've harmed someone else I  feel that they're beyond redemption.

Capital punishment is a coward's convenience. It's just easier to close your eye on the underlying problem and simply make it go away, but it is not responsible or fair. Resorting to it is simply a confirmation of our own failures in dealing with the real issues.

I say opposition to Capital punishment is ignorant. You don't know what its like to lose someone, and therefore you don't understand that the victims (if they're still alive) or the victim's family needs a sense of closure, and as much as this goes against hippyism 101, human beings want revenge when someone they love is taken from them, and in all honesty, I think it should be given to them. It's the least that can be done to ease their pain.
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2007, 08:50:59 PM »

...The United States already does not execute people with mental illnesses, so really your arguments are irrelevant, because I'm arguing for the death penalty, which already can't be applied to the people you're saying we shouldn't kill...

:bs

The US has already killed plenty of the mentally ill.  Plenty of schizophrenics have been put to death although their condition can be treated with medication.  Andrea Yates I believe is on death row and she is obviously mentally ill and it was completely treatable (plus her husband is a bastard for ignoring her post-partum depression, but that's another debate altogether).  It also has on death row several who are probably innocent of the crimes for which they were convicted and possibly has even killed someone in this category.  Death is final, and juries and judges are fallible, and legal counsel is quite different for those with money and those without.  Look at the difference between the defense of OJ versus one of say an indigent in Texas having to have the court appointed public defender who sleeps through the trial.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2007, 09:01:26 PM »

:bs

The US has already killed plenty of the mentally ill.  Plenty of schizophrenics have been put to death although their condition can be treated with medication.  Andrea Yates I believe is on death row and she is obviously mentally ill and it was completely treatable (plus her husband is a bastard for ignoring her post-partum depression, but that's another debate altogether).  It also has on death row several who are probably innocent of the crimes for which they were convicted and possibly has even killed someone in this category.  Death is final, and juries and judges are fallible, and legal counsel is quite different for those with money and those without.  Look at the difference between the defense of OJ versus one of say an indigent in Texas having to have the court appointed public defender who sleeps through the trial.

That's the way of the world. People make mistakes and money talks. Death penalty or not, those two will still be true. I hear what you're saying, but you're basically applying broad problems to this specific argument, and therefore those claims are largely irrelevant to this argument.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2007, 09:11:52 PM »

So do you have a fortune to spend on defense?  Let's say you are accused of raping and killing the daughter of a rich person.  You can't afford a defense attorney nor afford to pay for DNA testing.  You are subsequently convicted and sentenced to death.  This is the system as it is now.  It does happen.  With your life in the balance do you still support your stance?

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2007, 09:53:45 PM »

So do you have a fortune to spend on defense?  Let's say you are accused of raping and killing the daughter of a rich person.  You can't afford a defense attorney nor afford to pay for DNA testing.  You are subsequently convicted and sentenced to death.  This is the system as it is now.  It does happen.  With your life in the balance do you still support your stance?

See, I see what you're saying, but this is more of a problem with the courts and wealth distribution in general, and I agree, that all should really be equal before the courts, but this will go on whether we have capital punishment or not. That's what I'm getting at. This doesn't directly involve capital punishment. This is really a separate issue.

newguy45

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-3
  • be thou for the people
    • View Profile
    • newguy45.com
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2007, 11:12:57 PM »

that must blow geting hanged in 2006 - 2007 then again it must blow geting hanged at all
im not here to tell you how he died im here to tell you how he lived.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »

People are defined by their actions, not their birth, at least in my mind, obviously not in yours. It can be born, if someone is born with a split personality, or if someone is born that is prone to violence, but I for one happen to think it's acquired. Anyway, after someone is far gone enough, they can't be reformed. Some things can't be changed after a while, some things are permanent. If it's caught before they've harmed someone else, I'd say it's worth a try, but after they've harmed someone else I  feel that they're beyond redemption.

I say opposition to Capital punishment is ignorant. You don't know what its like to lose someone, and therefore you don't understand that the victims (if they're still alive) or the victim's family needs a sense of closure, and as much as this goes against hippyism 101, human beings want revenge when someone they love is taken from them, and in all honesty, I think it should be given to them. It's the least that can be done to ease their pain.

Wow, where to begin?

You say TheJudge "obviously" believes that birth defines a person. I can't figure out where he said that when he was asking you questions to better define your view of a "bad egg." And then you say:

Quote from: Evonus
People are defined by their actions, not their birth, at least in my mind, obviously not in yours. It can be born, if someone is born with a split personality, or if someone is born that is prone to violence, but I for one happen to think it's acquired.

So it can be inborn behavior, but it can't? You just contradicted yourself by acknowledging that such traits can be genetic, but then saying you think they're entirely a product of environment. How would you test an infant to see if they're born with a tendency for violence, or with schizophrenia? Are you advocating a move toward exhaustive genetic testing to "prove" these tendencies, in a subtle push for some kind of Utopia?

Quote from: Crystalmonkey
Interestingly enough, the guy who developed lethal injection was the physician to Adolf Hitler. (Not an argument against, but it should show the mindset of where this idea came from...)

Not to mention, just because Hitler had an association with something doesn't make it evil. Hitler is a political figure, who did something very bad; however, he was a man, and like any other man he did things that were good and bad. Not everything surrounding Hitler was bad.

If Hitler's personal physician invented lethal injections, I'd say there's a damn good chance that method was used to kill hundreds or thousands of innocent people in concentration camps. That makes it evil.

If it's caught before they've harmed someone else, I'd say it's worth a try, but after they've harmed someone else I  feel that they're beyond redemption.

So, two strikes and they're out? Many people are put to death for being accused of harming just one person. Making other people feel better shouldn't be justification enough for ending someone's life.

No, I don't know what it's like to lose someone to violence, but that doesn't mean I don't understand how victims might feel. It's not enough to just kill them, not for me. Death is the easy way out for them.

Revenge != justice. Revenge is personal. Justice is communal. We live in a society with laws that shouldn't leave room for revenge. Justice isn't an eye for an eye. If that were the case, the guilty parties from Enron would've been stripped of their wealth and forced to work behind a grill flipping burgers for the rest of their lives. They screwed over thousands of people. Where's the justice? Would you advocate chopping someone's hands off for repeated felony theft convictions?

These people are useless to society, and thus there is no reason to keep them alive. All they do is consume.

You've just described the entire United States in general. Hell, humanity is the ultimate parasite.

People with cancer are not a danger to those around them. They haven't harmed those around them. That is the difference.

No, but we put millions of dollars into a health care system that supports people who become consumers of that system, too ill to do anything else "useful" in society. How is that any different from a mental disorder?

I see no problem with killing another human being when need be.
But...
Life is worth more than we would often think, and I can say that from experience.
Yes, it is. And not just yours.

Finally, because this bothers me:
Quote from: Vespertine
It's called etymology, and yes, they do still teach it in English class.
I never learned this, so whatever, not worth arguing over.

Considering they teach elementary school kids how to read above their level by breaking apart words they don't recognize into familiar bits, yeah, I'd say you might've learned it. But since you can't grasp homonyms, I'd have to admit a failure of the education system, as they're graduating asshats with abandon.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2007, 11:19:30 PM »

that must blow geting hanged in 2006 - 2007 then again it must blow geting hanged at all

If you're going to contribute, make it worth my time to read.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2007, 12:04:20 AM »

Wow, where to begin?

You say TheJudge "obviously" believes that birth defines a person. I can't figure out where he said that when he was asking you questions to better define your view of a "bad egg."

The Judge thinks that just because someone is born a human being then they are therefore too sacred to harm or destroy.

And then you say:

So it can be inborn behavior, but it can't? You just contradicted yourself by acknowledging that such traits can be genetic, but then saying you think they're entirely a product of environment. How would you test an infant to see if they're born with a tendency for violence, or with schizophrenia? Are you advocating a move toward exhaustive genetic testing to "prove" these tendencies, in a subtle push for some kind of Utopia?

I just said that it could happen both ways. Sometimes people are born with a mental illness, and other times its just done out of greed or emotional stress.

Utopias are impossible, hence my belief that some people are beyond reform.

If Hitler's personal physician invented lethal injections, I'd say there's a damn good chance that method was used to kill hundreds or thousands of innocent people in concentration camps. That makes it evil.

No, that makes their original use evil, it doesn't make the thing itself evil. Hitler also made a ceasefire with Stalin that allowed him to invade Poland and cause World War II, which killed tons of people. That doesn't make cease fires evil. Just because an evil person used something does not make the thing itself evil.

So, two strikes and they're out? Many people are put to death for being accused of harming just one person. Making other people feel better shouldn't be justification enough for ending someone's life.

If the person committed some sort of an offense, it is perfectly fair to reprimand them. Ending the offenders life is a form of reprimand for severe crimes.

No, I don't know what it's like to lose someone to violence, but that doesn't mean I don't understand how victims might feel.

Yes it does. Until you've felt it first hand you don't know what it's like.

It's not enough to just kill them, not for me. Death is the easy way out for them.

I like seeing their bodies hanging from a noose, it makes me feel that justice has been served.

Revenge != justice. Revenge is personal. Justice is communal. We live in a society with laws that shouldn't leave room for revenge. Justice isn't an eye for an eye. If that were the case, the guilty parties from Enron would've been stripped of their wealth and forced to work behind a grill flipping burgers for the rest of their lives. They screwed over thousands of people. Where's the justice?

I think that eye for an eye is a wonderful system. I think that's just what they should've done to Kenneth Ley and his fellow assholes on the board. Instead they got away with it after ruining many people's futures out of greed. I think revenge and justice should be part of the same system, so that way people don't have to resort to their own means to get the revenge that human nature requires they obtain.

[quote}Would you advocate chopping someone's hands off for repeated felony theft convictions?[/quote]

No, because that's basically sentencing them to starve to death. Having them beaten/imprisoned is much more fitting.

You've just described the entire United States in general. Hell, humanity is the ultimate parasite.

Society as a whole has been able to grow and sustain a race. Because of society the human race has been able to grow and change the planet the way it saw fit. Humanity has been able to specialize each person to work for the betterment of all (at least in theory). In a way Humanity has become one big organism that we call society. Criminals are like cancers, they're mutinous cells that have to be removed in order for the body to continue to function at optimal performance.

No, but we put millions of dollars into a health care system that supports people who become consumers of that system, too ill to do anything else "useful" in society. How is that any different from a mental disorder?

Like I said before, cancer patients don't harm people. They consume money, but they haven't killed or injured anyone in the process. I don't have problems with people that have mental illnesses getting them treating, on government money, as long as they have not yet committed a crime.

But...Yes, it is. And not just yours.

My life is worth as much as anyone else's that is a beneficial part of the system. I am a number in the system, as is everyone else. I find it funny that you and demo always try to act like I'm putting my life above everyone else's when I'm not. If I killed someone I should face the death penalty as well, but then again, that is my motivation not to kill anyone.

Finally, because this bothers me:
Considering they teach elementary school kids how to read above their level by breaking apart words they don't recognize into familiar bits, yeah, I'd say you might've learned it. But since you can't grasp homonyms, I'd have to admit a failure of the education system, as they're graduating asshats with abandon.

Believe it or not, I've always been deemed very intelligent in school. I never received much linguistics teaching which is basically what you're describing, so my spelling and vocab are slightly more limited than I would like them to be.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2007, 12:48:52 AM »

The Judge thinks that just because someone is born a human being then they are therefore too sacred to harm or destroy.

Where did he say that?

I just said that it could happen both ways. Sometimes people are born with a mental illness, and other times its just done out of greed or emotional stress.
I'd accept that if you hadn't said...
but I for one happen to think it's acquired.

No, that makes their original use evil, it doesn't make the thing itself evil. Hitler also made a ceasefire with Stalin that allowed him to invade Poland and cause World War II, which killed tons of people. That doesn't make cease fires evil. Just because an evil person used something does not make the thing itself evil.

:roll: Yes, and Hitler also used public speaking to rally his supporters. Therefore all public speaking is to be considered evil. He probably used a hairbrush as well. Hurr. It's not the act or method itself, but rather the intended use and it's consequences that determine whether something is evil. Lethal injection has zero positive direct consequences. Yes, as a method of capital punishment, it indirectly may bring some level of closure to a victim's family, but in the process, you're killing someone else.

If I killed someone I should face the death penalty as well, but then again, that is my motivation not to kill anyone.

If your only motivation to not kill someone is the possibility of punishment, then you're a sociopath waiting to happen. Kohlberg says thanks for trying, but he already has enough Level 1 participants.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2007, 01:02:44 AM »

Where did he say that?

He doesn't believe in executions or killing, no matter what the person has done. He's said that in the numerous threads we've all debated in. He believes that humans shouldn't kill other humans, therefore he believes that because someone is born human they are already guaranteed some level of forgiveness for whatever they do.

I'd accept that if you hadn't said...

I do think it largely comes from the environment. If someone grows up in a gang ridden neighborhood, where gang killings occur, and this person has been surrounded by murder their entire lives, it's more likely that they'll become a killer, just because they're more desensitized to violence. There are cases where people are born with serious mental illnesses, that cause them to do things that harm others, but I think in the majority of cases the former is the problem. Sorry if that was unclear earlier.

:roll: Yes, and Hitler also used public speaking to rally his supporters. Therefore all public speaking is to be considered evil. He probably used a hairbrush as well. Hurr. It's not the act or method itself, but rather the intended use and it's consequences that determine whether something is evil. Lethal injection has zero positive direct consequences. Yes, as a method of capital punishment, it indirectly may bring some level of closure to a victim's family, but in the process, you're killing someone else.

It provides a more painless way of killing someone than the electric chair or hanging them. It honestly doesn't bother me, I'd say bring back the firing squad the noose and the guillotine if it were up to me, but that's not considered humane these days.

If your only motivation to not kill someone is the possibility of punishment, then you're a sociopath waiting to happen. Kohlberg says thanks for trying, but he already has enough Level 1 participants.

We all have our own motivations for doing or not doing things. I didn't say I'd go out and butcher people on Fridays if I couldn't get caught. But there is a person who, if I could get away with it, I would kill, and I do believe it would be for a damn good reason. You can't understand it because you aren't in my position, and you haven't been through what I have. You don't know what it's like to hate someone else, and that's why my point of view does not make sense to you, because you have never felt what I have felt.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2007, 01:17:59 AM »

I already told you that there is evidence where THEY WERE AWAKE BUT LOOKED PEACEFUL. IT ISN'T A MORE PEACEFUL WAY TO GO and you said that IT DOESN'T MATTER. Are you now changing your story?

And you briefly glossed over the fact that INNOCENT PEOPLE ARE KILLED. End of argument.

You want to go further? I don't think it's right to kill a TREE senselessly, because I don't see a tree as more or less important than a human being. "People feel pain, trees don't" Bullshit, they respond to stimuli in different ways, and while we are so far doubtful of them having consciousness, they are still a life form.

I don't think it's right to kill someone because any reason you give could be rationalized as being stupid, and then their is no way to take it back. There is almost NO way to justify the extinction of a human being, because there will always be a rational, logical, and often "true" argument against it.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2007, 01:31:06 AM »

I already told you that there is evidence where THEY WERE AWAKE BUT LOOKED PEACEFUL. IT ISN'T A MORE PEACEFUL WAY TO GO and you said that IT DOESN'T MATTER. Are you now changing your story?

I'd rather them suffer.

And you briefly glossed over the fact that INNOCENT PEOPLE ARE KILLED. End of argument.

Mistakes happen. Can't make an omlett without breaking a few eggs. Innocent people die, it's unfortunate but it happens. More innocent people are killed by criminals than are put to death by the government.

You want to go further? I don't think it's right to kill a TREE senselessly, because I don't see a tree as more or less important than a human being. "People feel pain, trees don't" Bullshit, they respond to stimuli in different ways, and while we are so far doubtful of them having consciousness, they are still a life form.

Okay? So what if it's alive? In all honesty, what does that mean to me. It's just another system in operation. If it doesn't have a consciousness I honestly see no point in keeping it alive but to serve us. Trees as a whole, make oxygen so that we can live. One tree will not be missed. I don't feel bad about sending my old laptop to be taken apart, and it's probably more complex a system than most trees.

I don't think it's right to kill someone because any reason you give could be rationalized as being stupid, and then their is no way to take it back. There is almost NO way to justify the extinction of a human being, because there will always be a rational, logical, and often "true" argument against it.

I don't think it's right to make people pay to keep their loved one's killers alive. So it's clear we are split on this issue. I could rationalize any reason you say for keeping them alive to be stupid as well. Not to mention there can also be a rational, logical, and often "true" reason to kill them. Don't get into the philosophy of debate with me here, it works both ways for both points always, or else one point would be established as a FACT, and there are clearly no FACTS that will push this one way of the other. The only fact here, is that human beings naturally seek revenge when sometimes is done to them or someone they care about. I believe that we should not give up our humanity just because we are more organized in this day and age, and I also think most of you are speaking from a very ignorant point of view, because most of you have probably never lost anyone dear to you, so you wouldn't know the feeling.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2007, 01:34:31 AM »

He believes that humans shouldn't kill other humans, therefore he believes that because someone is born human they are already guaranteed some level of forgiveness for whatever they do.

I don't believe humans should kill other humans, for whatever reason. I don't believe that forgiveness is absolute, but I also don't believe we have the right to Play God, so to speak -- and I'm an atheist. We have a legal system for a reason. It may be broken or corrupt more times than I care to think about, but there's something in place.

If someone grows up in a gang ridden neighborhood, where gang killings occur, and this person has been surrounded by murder their entire lives, it's more likely that they'll become a killer, just because they're more desensitized to violence.

My father grew up in a gang-ridden neighborhood in Chicago, and was in fact part of a gang. I don't think it's entirely true that exposure to something makes you more likely to do it, though I'll admit that can be part of it. Desensitization to violence, or anything else, makes you less likely to have a strong reaction to it. I think in neighborhoods riddled with crime, violence is unfortunately a survival technique. That same level of violence is simulated in most popular video games, by the way. (You want to talk about desensitization, there's your focus. By all means, argue against white privilege. I'm sure pb would be happy to resurrect his argument that the justice system is inherently racist.)

There are cases where people are born with serious mental illnesses, that cause them to do things that harm others, but I think in the majority of cases the former is the problem.
And in some of those mental illness cases, the defendents have no concept of right and wrong because they lack mental capacity, reasoning, and a mature morality. Even those deemed criminally insane receive punishment.

It provides a more painless way of killing someone than the electric chair or hanging them. It honestly doesn't bother me, I'd say bring back the firing squad the noose and the guillotine if it were up to me, but that's not considered humane these days.

I don't understand how, if you want someone to suffer for what pain they've caused you, you can advocate death. Even for less humane methods of capital punishment, it's still extremely short in comparison.

But there is a person who, if I could get away with it, I would kill, and I do believe it would be for a damn good reason. You can't understand it because you aren't in my position, and you haven't been through what I have. You don't know what it's like to hate someone else, and that's why my point of view does not make sense to you, because you have never felt what I have felt.
I also think most of you are speaking from a very ignorant point of view, because most of you have probably never lost anyone dear to you, so you wouldn't know the feeling.

You have no idea what I or anyone else have or have not been through. I think my implied suggestion that you seem to treasure your life and place your reasons on a higher level than you do others' is because you make statements like, "You have never felt what I have felt." Calling us ignorant only serves to strengthen that belief. Don't you dare assume that I don't know what it's like to justifiably hate someone. I'm sure your hate is justified, and I'm not discounting your desire for revenge, as it's a very human response, but using vengeance as your basis for a justice system is immature. Telling us that we have no right to argue against extreme forms of capital punishment, or against it at all, because we've (assumedly) never lost anyone is egocentric - and that's a horrible position from which to dictate far-reaching policy.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 01:38:15 AM by catwritr »

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2007, 01:57:48 AM »

Mistakes happen. Can't make an omlett without breaking a few eggs. Innocent people die, it's unfortunate but it happens. More innocent people are killed by criminals than are put to death by the government.

A) I assume you are talking about OUR government, in which case I point you to look at many of the wars we have fought, including the current one, and especially WWII with the dropping of atomic weaponry on Japan.

B) Wow, what lack of concern over the death of someone. Besides the fact that we're not talking about EGGS here, we're talking about INNOCENT FUCKING PEOPLE, how is it somehow alright for the GOVERNMENT to kill an innocent person, but if I were to kill an innocent person there would be a problem? According to the death penalty, if killing an innocent person is considered murder and punishable by death, and if the GOVERNMENT and those that support it kill an innocent person, then THOSE people should also be put to death. That's just logic.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2007, 02:05:17 AM »

I don't believe humans should kill other humans, for whatever reason. I don't believe that forgiveness is absolute, but I also don't believe we have the right to Play God, so to speak -- and I'm an atheist. We have a legal system for a reason. It may be broken or corrupt more times than I care to think about, but there's something in place.

Yes, and I believe that legal system has the right to take life. Individuals humans are not playing god, a human is not making a decision to kill another human, a system is dealing out the punishment of death.

My father grew up in a gang-ridden neighborhood in Chicago, and was in fact part of a gang. I don't think it's entirely true that exposure to something makes you more likely to do it, though I'll admit that can be part of it. Desensitization to violence, or anything else, makes you less likely to have a strong reaction to it. I think in neighborhoods riddled with crime, violence is unfortunately a survival technique.

My father grew up in a mafia ridden neighborhood in Massachusetts. He was forced to resort to violence to defend himself. As a result my father was much more violent than someone like me, because I wasn't forced to grow up in that kind of situation, where I was afraid of people knifing me in the school bathroom.

That same level of violence is simulated in most popular video games, by the way. (You want to talk about desensitization, there's your focus. By all means, argue against white privilege. I'm sure pb would be happy to resurrect his argument that the justice system is inherently racist.)
And in some of those mental illness cases, the defendents have no concept of right and wrong because they lack mental capacity, reasoning, and a mature morality. Even those deemed criminally insane receive punishment.

This is off topic, and I'm beginning to notice a trend of that in this topic. I'm not sitting here defending every aspect of the legal system. I'm saying overall I support capital punishment. What degree of mental stability someone should have to have to stand trial is something I haven't given an opinion on, therefore how can you argue for or against it. Raccism, and mental instability are separate issues within the legal system. We are discussing the death penalty.

I don't understand how, if you want someone to suffer for what pain they've caused you, you can advocate death. Even for less humane methods of capital punishment, it's still extremely short in comparison.

Well personally, if I had my way I'd like to stand over the person and completely maim them beyond recognition, but I know that isn't civilized, and definitely does not belong in a civilized legal system. Basically, we differ here because of what we consider suffering. Knowing that the killer of someone I loved was going to spend their last moments huddled inside their cells, knowing they'll die, and regretting everything they've done is fine for me. It's the mental dread and fear that comes from an execution is what I consider the real punishment, and I do find it adequate. If they're simply setenced to life, those people will still have happy moments, and times of enjoyment, and that's too good for them.

You have no idea what I or anyone else have or have not been through. I think my implied suggestion that you seem to treasure your life and place your reasons on a higher level than you do others' is because you make statements like, "You have never felt what I have felt." Calling us ignorant only serves to strengthen that belief. Don't you dare assume that I don't know what it's like to justifiably hate someone. I'm sure your hate is justified, and I'm not discounting your desire for revenge, as it's a very human response, but using vengeance as your basis for a justice system is immature. Telling us that we have no right to argue against extreme forms of capital punishment, or against it at all, because we've (assumedly) never lost anyone is egocentric - and that's a horrible position from which to dictate far-reaching policy.

I think that easing the victims pain or their family and friend's pain is just what a justice system should go for. If it takes revenge to do that, I think that's what we should base it around. I don't care if you consider it immature, I consider it justified.

Lastly, do I value my life, really at all, no I don't. I really dislike my life, and would end it asap if I knew it wouldn't harm the minds and feelings of those around me, but I know it will hurt them, and so I make the decision to live, day after day. We all have different reasons for living, mine is for my family. I do value my point of reason higher than many people I agree with, because I feel it is more diverse and experienced. Obviously I'm biased, but my opinions just seems more unique, they aren't cookie cutter propaganda from some political organization, and I think that's because I see the world for what it is more than most of those around me. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it's the way things look from my perspective, probably not from yours.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2007, 02:13:21 AM »

A) I assume you are talking about OUR government, in which case I point you to look at many of the wars we have fought, including the current one, and especially WWII with the dropping of atomic weaponry on Japan.

I'm sorry, but I'm missing your point here? I'm not a heavy war supporter, but I do believe we have to defend ourselves, like Afghanistan. I don't think most wars the United States has fought in were justified, because most were for business interests, including, to my belief, the current one.

B) Wow, what lack of concern over the death of someone. Besides the fact that we're not talking about EGGS here, we're talking about INNOCENT FUCKING PEOPLE,

There are over 6 billion innocent people in this world. A few won't make much of a difference. Do I want them to die? No, of course not. But will I sacrifice closure for so many others because of a few lives? Hell no.

how is it somehow alright for the GOVERNMENT to kill an innocent person, but if I were to kill an innocent person there would be a problem?

You are one man, you are not a governing body. You as a person have a bias, a strong bias. The legal system has a duller bias. I'm sure it's there, in some places more than others, but it isn't as strong. Thus the governing body can think more clearly than you can, so it can make decisions you can't. In this case the governing body is the legal system.

According to the death penalty, if killing an innocent person is considered murder and punishable by death, and if the GOVERNMENT and those that support it kill an innocent person, then THOSE people should also be put to death. That's just logic.

Actually, homocide is the crime, and since the government is not a human it can not be convicted of homocide.

However, if there was someone withholding evidence or tampering with the jury or whatnot. Basically if there was an unethical practice by someone that sent someone who was innocent to their death I believe it should be considered murder.

milifist

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +36/-1
  • Beam me up!
    • View Profile
    • HaXor Central
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2007, 10:00:41 AM »

First a couple of minor points:

1. There hasn’t been a rapist executed in the US in over 40 years. In fact, there hasn’t been anyone executed for anything other than murder in over 40 years.

2. Yates wasn’t sentenced to death. The prosecution did pursue the death penalty, but the jury rejected it. Her conviction was later overturned on grounds of insanity. She is currently in a mental hospital receiving treatment.

As I understand it, between 5-10% of death row inmates have some sort of mental illness. And, considering the rather minimalist mental competency requirements for execution, I think it is clear that there is a problem with the death penalty in those cases. I think there should be a major revamping of how the death penalty is applied and carried out to deal with the problem of mental illness, but I don’t think it necessitates to total elimination of the death penalty.

The question of whether it is acceptable for a government to kill, or even whether it is acceptable for one man to kill another is inherently a moral question. My moral standard allows for the government/man to kill in certain situations. Obviously, other people have different moral standards. Which moral standard do we follow? Well, in the US, that is where we run into the democratic aspect of our democratic republic. At present, it leans more towards Evonus’s moral standard (although, not some of the more ugly aspects of it. Furthermore, there does seem to be some shifting away from that standard in recent years).

The debate over the moral correctness of the death penalty appears to be a dead end. Aside from the morality of the death penalty, there is its legality and practicality. In the US, at present, it is legal. I doubt our founding fathers would think the death penalty cruel or unusual (however, I am not a strict constitutionalist, so I don’t really care what our floundering fathers would think). As for the practicality of the death penalty, I question it…

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2007, 10:47:20 AM »

If we can't treat it, it's unfortunate, but we can't treat it.

This is exactly why I brought up the cancer example. There are things we can't cure. It doesn't mean we shouldn't try. I understand cancer victims do not pose a risk to others. It was just an example to illustrate a principle. And if I follow your logic, then someone who has a deadly decease that can spread from person to person airborn, then they should be killed because A - We can't treat it, and B - They pose a risk to others. That's just ridiculous, yet that is your logic.

People are defined by their actions, not their birth, at least in my mind, obviously not in yours.
Actually, I never voiced an opinion regarding being born a certain way. I just asked a question about it so I guess it's not obvious after all...

Some things can't be changed after a while, some things are permanent.
You don't know that for sure.

You don't know what its like to lose someone
You presume a lot of things. You don't know anything about me or my life experiences.

It's the least that can be done to ease their pain.
First, I'm not convince that vengence is the best way to ease someone's pain. (Just ask Batman! OMFGLOL!!!)

Let's say you had a brother that was murdered. And let's say you had the power to decide if his killer should be put to death or should be locked up for life. If you decide death, it's a decision that you'll have to live for with the rest  of your life. In 10 years, maybe you'll regret that decision and it will cause you serious problems in life.

I'm not saying it capital punishement cannot ease someone's pain, but I will say it's not a universal effect. It can even cause further damage to the surviving victims in some cases. And when you say it's the least that could be done, that's not true. There are plenty of other things that can be done, including therapy to deal with the anger. Some turn to religion for answers. Some even forgive. Your view of things is too black and white.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2007, 10:52:18 AM »

Mistakes happen. Can't make an omlett without breaking a few eggs. Innocent people die, it's unfortunate but it happens.
Maybe the criminals should use this argument. I mean, if it can work against them, why couldn't it work for them. Unless... Oh I don't know... you had double standards?  :-o

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2007, 11:22:56 AM »

I think that easing the victims pain or their family and friend's pain is just what a justice system should go for.

Justice should be unbiased to personal emotion.

I mean, if it can work against them, why couldn't it work for them. Unless... Oh I don't know... you had double standards?
Bingo.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2007, 02:39:16 PM »

This is exactly why I brought up the cancer example. There are things we can't cure. It doesn't mean we shouldn't try. I understand cancer victims do not pose a risk to others. It was just an example to illustrate a principle. And if I follow your logic, then someone who has a deadly decease that can spread from person to person airborn, then they should be killed because A - We can't treat it, and B - They pose a risk to others. That's just ridiculous, yet that is your logic.

Actually, I agree with that. Killing the person would prevent a spreading of the infection. It's a sacrifice for the greater good.

First, I'm not convince that vengence is the best way to ease someone's pain. (Just ask Batman! OMFGLOL!!!)

It gives people a sense of closure knowing that their loved one's killer has been found caught and is suffering. Like I said, I consider the death penalty the highest form of suffering so it makes sense for me to support the death penalty for this.

Let's say you had a brother that was murdered. And let's say you had the power to decide if his killer should be put to death or should be locked up for life. If you decide death, it's a decision that you'll have to live for with the rest  of your life. In 10 years, maybe you'll regret that decision and it will cause you serious problems in life.

But I don't get to make the decision in this system. I am blame free. The most I could possibly do would be to have me testify against the person if I knew anything.

I'm not saying it capital punishement cannot ease someone's pain, but I will say it's not a universal effect. It can even cause further damage to the surviving victims in some cases. And when you say it's the least that could be done, that's not true. There are plenty of other things that can be done, including therapy to deal with the anger. Some turn to religion for answers. Some even forgive. Your view of things is too black and white.

I look at things in favour of what the majority would want, and what's good for the greatest amount of people. All the things you used can still be adhered to and tried, but there is nothing that can replace a sense of closure.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2007, 10:58:14 PM »

It's a sacrifice for the greater good.
Wouldn't the greater good "thing to do" be to isolate the sick people as a prevention to non sick people while spending efforts on finding a cure to get rid of the decease completely? In this scenario, if 200,000 person were infected per year, you would choose to kill them. This would go on indefinately, and probably lead up to an epidemic where more and more people get infected. And you would simply kill them in the name of the greater good. Under your system, let's say we kill one million individuals in a 10 year period. After then years, we still have the same problem. No progress was made, yet a million lives were lost. What if we have invested in research for the last 10 years instead and had finally found a cure. Then, we'd be at the same point in time, yet under my system, the actual problem would have been dealt with. You don't deal with the problem. You attack a symptom of the problem and it doesn't solve anything.

I look at things in favour of what the majority would want, and what's good for the greatest amount of people. All the things you used can still be adhered to and tried, but there is nothing that can replace a sense of closure.
Obviously, the majority doesn't want capital punishement since we're moving away from it as time progresses and as we evolve. I agree with you that closure is very important. I'm just saying closure can be reached without the destruction of another life. There are other ways.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2007, 03:46:10 AM »

Justifying something by saying the majority wants it is a logical fallacy:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-popularity.html

Also, another logical fallacy mentioned:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/two-wrongs-make-a-right.html

Interestingly enough, one of the examples taken for the two-wrongs-make-a-right fallacy involves capital punishment.

milifist

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +36/-1
  • Beam me up!
    • View Profile
    • HaXor Central
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2007, 10:02:27 AM »

Evonus hasn’t claimed that the will/approval/belief of the majority supercede the laws of physics.

Evonus hasn’t claimed that killing is wrong. Only that killing under certain circumstances is wrong. The State does not kill under the same circumstances. It does not have the same motive. It does not have the same intent.

Also, if you consider the State as a macrocosm of the individual, then the stated exception to the “two-wrongs-make-a-right” fallacy would apply.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4