The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 08:45:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Easy on the Fumes  (Read 6012 times)

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
Easy on the Fumes
« on: January 09, 2007, 01:37:06 PM »

I don’t know what it’s like where you live, but where I’m from, people have less and less tolerance for perfume bathers and chain smokers. Businesses are starting to implement anti-perfume workplaces because some individuals complained about the effects strong odors have on them, allergies being the most obvious. Many health care professionals will not see patients if they reek in perfume or cigarette scents. They will literally turn refuse to service you if you show up to their office.

I personally don’t have allergies, but I sure as hell don’t enjoy sitting next to a “toilet water” covered individual on the plane. It’s not like I can roll down the windows and gasp for fresh air! I remember sitting in an airport once, waiting to board my plane. This young gentleman sat nearby. I could tell he was single. He wore black pants that were slightly too short, which revealed the grotesque white socks that we use to wear in the 80’s. Add to that the stench of over perfuming and it pretty much gave it away. It was horrible sight! I’m not sure if my eyes were hurting because of the fashion faux-pas or because of the Azaro fumes, but they were hurting nonetheless! I swear I’ve never been near anyone wearing that much cologne. It’s like he showered in it! You could tell by the reactions of the people around him that my feelings of disgusts were shared.

If I ran the airline, I can tell you this: people like him would not be allowed to board a plane in that state. Is it discrimination? I don’t know and if it is, I don’t care. I’d rather inconvenience one passenger, than an entire plane. I can tell you that I would happily implement a no perfume policy on all airlines. What are these people thinking? The more you put one, the greater sex appeal you have? Come on!

I don’t condemn perfume. There is a time and a place for it, and more importantly, there is a proper way to wear it. If you happen to be one of those who goes trough a bottle in a month, here’s some advice: If YOU can smell it, you’re wearing too much. The idea of perfume is to smell nice for when a special person comes into your personal space. It’s is not a hunt scent that is used to attract a mate, nor does it replace deodorant. If you stink, don’t try to hide it with perfume, take a fucking shower. The mix of human filth and artificial scents doesn’t mix well. One squirt on that little bottle should suffice. That’s all you need!

When you shop for perfume, they’ll sometimes make you smell coffee beans between samples, so that you can distinguish the smell from one product to the next. In that spirit, I propose it’s time to wake up and smell the coffee. More doesn’t mean better when it comes to perfumes. More means people like me want to punch you in the face and dunk your head in a toilet. Of course, people like me are civilized, so it’s really just a thought that crosses our mind. Instead of resorting to violence, people like me will simply write about it on the internet in hopes that at least one perfume addict will read this and realize what the world really thinks about them: You fucking stink.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Re: Easy on the Fumes
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 01:42:34 PM »

You got that right!  :clap

Anyanka_was_framed

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +148/-4
  • Your logic does not resemble our earth logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 12:19:09 AM »

I live in NJ where you cannot smoke in restaurants and bars (which is lovely, but now you smell booze and disinfectant).  This means that as soon as you leave you walk through a cloud of smoke from the smokers standing right outside of the door.  I shower daily and usually have one spritz of perfume and have been told several times that I smell pretty (I once got a "you smell like girl" once...since I'm a girl that's good I guess), but after walking through the cloud o' cancer my hair immediately smells like smoke.  What the hell was the point of my good hygeine?  Now I smell like someone else's dirty habit.

Well, not now.  I haven't been around any smokers today.  You know, just to clarify.

Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
Zoe: "Big damn heroes, sir."

Nosferatu

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +25/-3
  • Fire doesn't clense, it blackens
    • View Profile
    • MySpace (I don't even know why...)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 05:26:16 PM »

In Scotland you can no longer smoke in any public enclosed space.  If I remember correctly, the government definition of such spaces is a publicly used area with walls covering over half the perimiter and a roof.

Even as a smoker, I like this.  You can like anything, but too much is never a good thing.  Being sat in a cafe or resturant literaly full of smoke is a horrible experience for anyone, and I have no problem with going outside for a puff (Usually walking past the group of smokers huddled in the doorway complaining that they can't sit down and have a fag - how dare the government inconvinience them for the overall health of the country?)

Can't say I've noticed much of a problem with perfume here though, save the ever so annoying Chavs who must have a plug-in airfreshener concealed somewhere about thier person...

"My God, it's full of stars!"

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 08:05:23 PM »

I live in CA and most municipalities now require smokers to be many feet (several meters for you metric dudes) away from any entrance.  We did away with the smoking in public place of which bars were the last phase back in the '90s.

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 08:22:24 PM »

I'm (close to) Atlanta, GA. We did away with healthy lungage; solves a myriad of issues, from the smoking one to the smog one to the mass transit vs POV, and many more.

DiscipleOfChaos

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +20/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 12:12:25 PM »

I just had this exact conversation with the folks in the office yesterday.

Some student came in to talk to us and we couldn't -wait- to get her out again. None of us could breathe for like twenty minutes after she was gone. It was horrible.
HURR!

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 04:12:03 PM »

I was at the health club yesterday and some dude in the locker room must have bathed in some nasty ass cologne.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 05:02:07 PM »

I do my best to moderate the amount of colonge I use on a daily basis. A couple of sprays before I leave for work and that's just about it. I've cut back on the sweet scented lotions as well after a friend of mine told me that just because I'm a fruit doesn't mean I have to smell like one too.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 05:06:37 PM »

I actually like the fruity smelling ones.  The flowery ones tend to irritate me more.

Anyanka_was_framed

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +148/-4
  • Your logic does not resemble our earth logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 05:34:36 PM »

I was at the health club yesterday and some dude in the locker room must have bathed in some nasty ass cologne.

Ew, why would anyone use Ass Cologne?

:-D

Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
Zoe: "Big damn heroes, sir."

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 06:14:14 PM »

Because ass smells like ass?

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 06:47:56 PM »

Xolik, get ya a bottle of doe in heat scent from the hunting department.  A couple of drops and your friend should quit complaining.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?