The Geek Forum

• May 14, 2024, 11:23:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129631
  • Total Topics: 7188
  • Online Today: 188
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Cheney's Smirk  (Read 16543 times)

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Re: Cheney's Smirk
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 09:08:37 PM »

Hey, Mr. Bush is more than welcome to listen in on some of my phone conversations. "Baby, when I get home, I'm gonna do to you what Bush has been doing to this country ALL NIGHT LONG! ...Wait, did you just hear someone heaving?"
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 09:48:31 PM »

Yeah.  You're right.  And, I'm sure there's nobody examining the financial link between the Veep and Haliburton.  Silly me.

edit:
I'm duty bound to disagree with everything you say because of this.

Why do you even bother posting in response to me. I know you don't like me, I get it, I got it from the beginning, I obviously don't care. Not to mention the fact that you never add anything constructive for or against anything I say in any topic. If you have nothing useful to contribute to a discussion I am participating in then feel free to ignore my posts, I ignore yours 90% of the time.

P.S. Me disagreeing with your sorry ass opinions doesn't make me an idiot, but thanks for playing.
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 10:06:09 PM »

1) I don't dislike you.  I disagree with your political opinions and I believe that you're young and naive.  There's a big difference.

2) I do add to political debates in a meaningful way.  The fact that you may disregard my opinions out of hand does not make my posts worthless.  Rather, the fact that you disagree with my posts and you can't form an argument to express your opinions frustrates both of us.

C) You shouldn't ignore my posts.  I'm a well-read, educated adult with opinions that are echoed many times over in the political world and in society in general.  I don't ignore your posts because I enjoy watching the other members of this forum rip you to shreds with the ease of a hot knife through wet sandpaper.  Your arguments, if one could call them that, are weak and unsupportable the majority of the time.  Disagree?  Point to one thread on this forum where in you've convinced someone to change their opinion.  Or, show me where you've supported one of your arguments with real evidence beyond anecdotal or gut feelings.

4) You're right again!  Wow!  Twice in one day!

The fact that you disagree with my opinions doesn't make you an idiot.  There are myriad other things that do that.

I bother to post replies to your nonsense because one of the things that I'm good at is making with the funny.  And, since you're the perfect dope, making the funny at your expense is too tempting to resist.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007, 02:39:20 AM »

1) I don't dislike you.  I disagree with your political opinions and I believe that you're young and naive.  There's a big difference.

I am young, and I do not claim to know everything, far from it, but I do and have read into many subjects, thus I have an opinion on them. Other opinions are all from personal experience. We come from very different background and frames of thought and so our opinions will obviously be different.

2) I do add to political debates in a meaningful way.  The fact that you may disregard my opinions out of hand does not make my posts worthless.

You add to discussions, but not in reference to me. Show me a post where you've said something to me in a large discussion that wasn't demeaning, and in fact enhanced the discussion.

Rather, the fact that you disagree with my posts and you can't form an argument to express your opinions frustrates both of us.

I've formed opinions that have spanned eight page discussions. I'd say if anything I'm too verbose and too opinionated.

C) You shouldn't ignore my posts.  I'm a well-read, educated adult with opinions that are echoed many times over in the political world and in society in general.

I'm sure you are, but at the same time, you do not respect my opinions, and so I tend to ignore yours. You mock me, so that makes me less inclined to listened to what you have to say. I listen to what people have to offer if I consider their point of reference interesting, and possibly closer to what "truth" really is. If someone (you) is nothing but a demeaning asshole, I don't want fragments of your perspective contaminating mine.

I don't ignore your posts because I enjoy watching the other members of this forum rip you to shreds with the ease of a hot knife through wet sandpaper.  Your arguments, if one could call them that, are weak and unsupportable the majority of the time.  Disagree?  Point to one thread on this forum where in you've convinced someone to change their opinion.  Or, show me where you've supported one of your arguments with real evidence beyond anecdotal or gut feelings.

Most of the time I'm sharing an opinion. Opinions are formed through personal experience, personality, as well as a variety of facts one knows. Now if I try to actually prove something is the correct way to go about things (which if my memory serves me correctly I have never done on this forum) I would need evidence and such, but I usually don't on forums. I present an opinion, explain why I follow that opinion, or whatnot, and then leave it.

On the opposite side of the coin, if someone presents me with a fact contradicting something I've said, I usually back down, or at least reform what I was saying. It's happened twice, and both times, I have no attempted to argue against a presented fact.

4) You're right again!  Wow!  Twice in one day!

Jubilation!

The fact that you disagree with my opinions doesn't make you an idiot.  There are myriad other things that do that.

I bother to post replies to your nonsense because one of the things that I'm good at is making with the funny.  And, since you're the perfect dope, making the funny at your expense is too tempting to resist.

Now I know we're from different generations, but generally, calling someone an idiot while their trying to defend something isn't funny, it's mean. Some of the things Demo does while in a debate are amusing, but yours seem more biting than anything.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2007, 02:46:01 AM »

lol bush si a monkey
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 01:16:18 PM »

I am young, and I do not claim to know everything, far from it, but I do and have read into many subjects, thus I have an opinion on them. Other opinions are all from personal experience. We come from very different background and frames of thought and so our opinions will obviously be different.
The fact that you're young is obvious.  While you don't claim to know everything, you never bend.  You know what you know and you know that what you know is right and anybody that's spouting anything different must be wrong.  Or, at least that's the way you come across.
You add to discussions, but not in reference to me. Show me a post where you've said something to me in a large discussion that wasn't demeaning, and in fact enhanced the discussion.
I tried to debate you in the first political debate that you ventured into.  That was sufficient for me to realize that you were incapable of forming an argument and expressing it in a way that would sway anyone's opinion.
I've formed opinions that have spanned eight page discussions. I'd say if anything I'm too verbose and too opinionated.
I didn't say "form opinions", I said form arguments.  Words mean things.  Opinions are like assholes.  And, apparently I'm like an opinion... according to you.
I'm sure you are, but at the same time, you do not respect my opinions, and so I tend to ignore yours. You mock me, so that makes me less inclined to listened to what you have to say. I listen to what people have to offer if I consider their point of reference interesting, and possibly closer to what "truth" really is. If someone (you) is nothing but a demeaning asshole, I don't want fragments of your perspective contaminating mine.
You're absolutely right.  I've been an asshole.  I apologize for that.  I will try to take a better personal inventory of my attitudes before I address you in the future.  Sometimes, when one is behind the comfort of the anonymity provided by the keyboard, one will say things that he/she wouldn't say in person.  I think each of us is guilty of that sometimes.  Again, I'm sorry.  I don't aim to hurt.  Making the funny at the expense of others isn't funny if you're the 'others'.  I get that.
Most of the time I'm sharing an opinion. Opinions are formed through personal experience, personality, as well as a variety of facts one knows. Now if I try to actually prove something is the correct way to go about things (which if my memory serves me correctly I have never done on this forum) I would need evidence and such, but I usually don't on forums. I present an opinion, explain why I follow that opinion, or whatnot, and then leave it.
I don't understand the point of presenting an opinion (unsupportable or supported by facts) and then ignoring the fact that it was irrational thought, or misinformation that brought you to that opinion when you are called to the carpet by the other members of the forum.  You are continually called on your misinformed/irrational opinions, but you refuse to admit that you may be wrong.  Your standby attitude is, "These are just my opinions and opinions, because they are mine, can't be wrong."  Well, opinions can be wrong and until you're willing to admit that and open your eyes, you're going to struggle to make anyone respect your or your point of view.

On the opposite side of the coin, if someone presents me with a fact contradicting something I've said, I usually back down, or at least reform what I was saying. It's happened twice, and both times, I have no attempted to argue against a presented fact.
I must have missed these.  As I stated above, I was under the impression that you were unflappable and unbending.

Now I know we're from different generations, but generally, calling someone an idiot while their trying to defend something isn't funny, it's mean. Some of the things Demo does while in a debate are amusing, but yours seem more biting than anything.
I thought you said you never tried to "...actually prove something is the correct way to go about things."
What's the difference between defending your opinion and "...actually prove something is the correct way to go about things."?

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 01:50:32 PM »

The fact that you're young is obvious.  While you don't claim to know everything, you never bend.  You know what you know and you know that what you know is right and anybody that's spouting anything different must be wrong.  Or, at least that's the way you come across.

I have bent, but I don't break. I change my mind on things, I take what everyone is saying into account, but at the same time, I don't just toss opinions that I have spent 19 years forming out the window, and you can't honestly expect me to do that, unless there is a serious hole somewhere in them, and so far, you nor anyone else has ever shown one for the most part. Saying that my opinions on some matters violate "human rights" or whatnot does not invalidate how I view things, to give an example of what demo tried to tell me.

I tried to debate you in the first political debate that you ventured into.  That was sufficient for me to realize that you were incapable of forming an argument and expressing it in a way that would sway anyone's opinion.

Perhaps I don't sway yours, or anyone else's on this forum, but I have made people consider things elsewhere. In my first real political debate on this forum I had everyone bombarding me left and right and it was hard to keep up with 5+ other people, not to mention demo has a considerable amount more experience than me, so obviously his points will come off a little smoother.

I don't understand the point of presenting an opinion (unsupportable or supported by facts) and then ignoring the fact that it was irrational thought, or misinformation that brought you to that opinion when you are called to the carpet by the other members of the forum.  You are continually called on your misinformed/irrational opinions, but you refuse to admit that you may be wrong.

Show me a time when I was present with a fact, not a collective members opinion, not a value judgment, not a moral element, and I argued against it.

Your standby attitude is, "These are just my opinions and opinions, because they are mine, can't be wrong."  Well, opinions can be wrong and until you're willing to admit that and open your eyes, you're going to struggle to make anyone respect your or your point of view.

Support for an opinion can be misleading or wrong, an opinion can not be true or false.

o·pin·ion     /əˈpɪnyən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-pin-yuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1.   a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2.   a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
3.   the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.
4.   Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.
5.   a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.
6.   a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him.

That's from Websters. I don't see how you could get a sense of correctness or incorrectness from any of those.

I thought you said you never tried to "...actually prove something is the correct way to go about things."
What's the difference between defending your opinion and "...actually prove something is the correct way to go about things."?

My opinion is the way I feel things should be done. I realize other people would rather do them other ways, otherwise there wouldn't be controversy. I don't believe there is ever one correct way to go about things, my view or opinion is a guideline of a way I consider favorable to go about things.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2007, 02:41:03 PM »

I have bent, but I don't break. I change my mind on things, I take what everyone is saying into account, but at the same time, I don't just toss opinions that I have spent 19 years forming out the window, and you can't honestly expect me to do that, unless there is a serious hole somewhere in them, and so far, you nor anyone else has ever shown one for the most part. Saying that my opinions on some matters violate "human rights" or whatnot does not invalidate how I view things, to give an example of what demo tried to tell me.
If pointing out that your opinion violates human rights doesn't invalidate your view, then I'm not going to be able to convince you that anything is going to poke holes in your irrational view of things.  That's why I get frustrated with you and why I have stopped involving myself in arguments where you're participating. 

Aside from that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?
Aside from the fact that you're completely and totally wrong, you could be a little bit right.  Right?
Perhaps I don't sway yours, or anyone else's on this forum, but I have made people consider things elsewhere. In my first real political debate on this forum I had everyone bombarding me left and right and it was hard to keep up with 5+ other people, not to mention demo has a considerable amount more experience than me, so obviously his points will come off a little smoother.
Everyone was quick to reply to your first attempt at debate on this forum because there were so many holes in your arguments - holes which you refused to see.

Show me a time when I was present with a fact, not a collective members opinion, not a value judgment, not a moral element, and I argued against it.
I can't be bothered.

Support for an opinion can be misleading or wrong, an opinion can not be true or false.
I didn't say an opinion could be false.  Words mean things.  I said that an opinion can be wrong.  Yours often is.
That's from Websters. I don't see how you could get a sense of correctness or incorrectness from any of those.
I'm of the opinion that the world is flat.  Is my opinion wrong?  Yes. 
My opinion is the way I feel things should be done. I realize other people would rather do them other ways, otherwise there wouldn't be controversy. I don't believe there is ever one correct way to go about things, my view or opinion is a guideline of a way I consider favorable to go about things.
If your opinion is so meaningless to others, why share it?  I mean, if it's so personal and only needs to be supported by your own personal feelings, thoughts and insights, then why bother to display those things to others?

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2007, 03:40:51 PM »

If pointing out that your opinion violates human rights doesn't invalidate your view, then I'm not going to be able to convince you that anything is going to poke holes in your irrational view of things.  That's why I get frustrated with you and why I have stopped involving myself in arguments where you're participating.

Geneva conventions are nothing else but political meetings by a group of individuals where a "universal" operating procedure is established for a certain aspect of political relations. In dummy terms, it's where a bunch of guys got together and decided this is how we should do things. By your declaration that this is infallible, I can therefore declare anything else established by a meeting of elected officials to be infallible as well. So I don't want to see you argue against the war in Iraq anymore, it was decided to be just by the politicians we elected. Obviously, I don't believe this, but what you're saying is absurd. Saying I automatically have to accept something because it was set by a council is moronic. I have to abide by it while the law is in place is one thing, but I don't have to agree with it, and I can be completely justified in not doing so.

Everyone was quick to reply to your first attempt at debate on this forum because there were so many holes in your arguments - holes which you refused to see.

Everyone was quick to reply to my statements because they didn't agree with them. The general political opinion on this forum is a few slots to the left of me, so obviously just based on different view points they disagreed, and thus everyone decided to argue against me. I could give you more rightist forums, and if you made a post about your political feelings I'm sure you would also have the entire board arguing against you, but it wouldn't be because there is a hole in your argument, it's because your opinions don't fit the board mold.

I can't be bothered.

So you make a baseless claim, and you don't back it up. Then you say my problem is not supporting things with facts and examples. Hypocrisy maybe?

I didn't say an opinion could be false.  Words mean things.  I said that an opinion can be wrong.  Yours often is.

Yet again you provide no examples.

I'm of the opinion that the world is flat.  Is my opinion wrong?  Yes.

From a certain perspective the world may be flat. If your looking at it from a 4th dimensional perspective the world might appear rather flat. Point being, opinions aren't wrong, they're just described from different perspectives. You and I have different perspectives. Neither of us is wrong, we simply come from different backgrounds and thus we have had to solve similar problems differently.

If your opinion is so meaningless to others, why share it?  I mean, if it's so personal and only needs to be supported by your own personal feelings, thoughts and insights, then why bother to display those things to others?

Because I personally think it is important to see different perspectives. That's why I bother reading through the opinions of others presented here. I don't agree with Agent's view of things or his insistence that anarchism is the way to go, but I feel it important to learn why he feels that way in hopes that it will allow me to see a broader view of the world. No matter how moral or right an opinion is acclaimed to be it is worthless if it does not have a counter argument, and if you constantly surround yourself with the same old rhetoric then you are wasting your ability of free thought. That's why I share my thoughts, because I feel that they show this different perspective.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2007, 04:16:48 PM »

From a certain perspective the world may be flat. If your looking at it from a 4th dimensional perspective the world might appear rather flat. Point being, opinions aren't wrong, they're just described from different perspectives. You and I have different perspectives. Neither of us is wrong, we simply come from different backgrounds and thus we have had to solve similar problems differently.
I wish you would have put that part right at the top of your reply because then I could have disregarded everything else you typed and stopped reading at that point.

To invent some imaginary perspective from which neither of us can view the situation in order to support your statement is just absurd.

Now, on to the parts that I did read and care to reply to...
RE: Geneva conventions rebuttal -
The discussion where human rights was the issue that poked holes in your "argument" was titled "The war".  It was about.... WAR!
GAWD that was a painful thing to revisit http://www.geekforum.org/index.php/topic,3893.0.html

Everyone jumping on you: BS.  We didn't argue that you were wrong, we argued that the foundation of your argument was flawed. Here's a nice quote from that thread
As long as you don't confuse opinion with fact.  Which you have.

No, I'm the only one here so far who hasn't.
Everyone is wrong except me!

Re hypocrisy: It wouldn't do any good to take the time to search out an example.  You'd just reply with, "That's my opinion.  Opinions can't be wrong."  You want an example of your opinion being wrong, read the thread I linked above.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2007, 04:35:18 PM »

I wish you would have put that part right at the top of your reply because then I could have disregarded everything else you typed and stopped reading at that point.

To invent some imaginary perspective from which neither of us can view the situation in order to support your statement is just absurd.

I think you missed the point. The point is that just because you can not see something from a perspective does not invalidate it, which you clearly have.

Now, on to the parts that I did read and care to reply to...
RE: Geneva conventions rebuttal -
The discussion where human rights was the issue that poked holes in your "argument" was titled "The war".  It was about.... WAR!
GAWD that was a painful thing to revisit http://www.geekforum.org/index.php/topic,3893.0.html

Everyone jumping on you: BS.  We didn't argue that you were wrong, we argued that the foundation of your argument was flawed. Here's a nice quote from that threadEveryone is wrong except me!

You know, just as you declared the foundation for my argument wrong, I could easily go into the discussion on homosexuality and declare your argument flawed because it disagrees with the bible. You declared my argument flawed because it disagreed with a commonly accepted rule of thumb that I don't agree with. The bible is also a commonly accepted writing, but if I tried to prove you wrong with it, I think we'd both agree it's just silly to do so.

Re hypocrisy: It wouldn't do any good to take the time to search out an example.  You'd just reply with, "That's my opinion.  Opinions can't be wrong."  You want an example of your opinion being wrong, read the thread I linked above.

Because you have nothing. Everything in that thread was based on morality, which is what I kept saying. Morality is subjective. TheJudge eventually brought forth a point that made sense towards the end, and that's when I conceded some ground. Me disagreeing with your moral standards does not make we wrong.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2007, 04:46:14 PM »

But, when you're arguing about the way that the USA should handle the war, you have to start from within those constraints with which the US is forced to act.  If you're not going to start from a standpoint of reality, then you need to state this from the start.

Similarly, when we talk about the Earth and its geometric shape, you can't all of a sudden invent some new measure of gravity and say that the Earth is your brother.

The same applies to the human rights point invalidating your argument.  If you're talking about a war and trying to make a point on how the US should behave in that war, you can't just disregard the rules by which we're governed.  If you can, then I can say the whole argument is moot because the Vogon ship will be here shortly, and I have to leave to get my drink on.  Grab your towel, let's go!

The bible is not a commonly accepted rule of thumb agreed upon by both sides of the homosexual morality debate.  The Geneva conventions are agreed upon as accepted rules of war.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2007, 05:01:57 PM »

The Geneva conventions are agreed upon as accepted rules of war.

I never agreed on them.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2007, 05:04:13 PM »

Then you may not participate in a war as a nation.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2007, 05:09:43 PM »

Then you may not participate in a war as a nation.

I don't think I will in any capacity.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2007, 06:17:08 PM »

win/win for everyone

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2007, 06:27:31 PM »

How awesome would it be if everybody realized that it would be a win-win situation to stop fighting in general?

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2007, 06:34:36 PM »

Ron Paul on war:

"If every American taxpayer had to submit an extra five or ten thousand dollars to the IRS this April to pay for the war, I'm quite certain it would end very quickly. The problem is that government finances war by borrowing and printing money, rather than presenting a bill directly in the form of higher taxes. When the costs are obscured, the question of whether any war is worth it becomes distorted."

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2007, 06:41:04 PM »

Ron Paul on war:

"If every American taxpayer had to submit an extra five or ten thousand dollars to the IRS this April to pay for the war, I'm quite certain it would end very quickly. The problem is that government finances war by borrowing and printing money, rather than presenting a bill directly in the form of higher taxes. When the costs are obscured, the question of whether any war is worth it becomes distorted."

Great book that "Pope Bob" plugged and I read the next day: In Banks We Trust.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2007, 02:47:36 AM »

That's why I share my thoughts, because I feel that they show this different perspective.

Ah yes. You want to be different...

...just like everyone else.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2007, 12:45:06 PM »

My desire to be just like everyone else makes me different.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2007, 06:18:54 PM »

I didn't say I wanted to be different. If I wanted to be different I wouldn't say anything, because most people share opinions. I said I provide a different perspective to things that should be considered, as do you, or demo, or bizb, as does everyone, and I think it's important to consider as many of these perspectives as possible.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2007, 09:57:31 PM »

I didn't say I wanted to be different. If I wanted to be different I wouldn't say anything, because most people share opinions. I said I provide a different perspective to things that should be considered, as do you, or demo, or bizb, as does everyone, and I think it's important to consider as many of these perspectives as possible.

That's why I share my thoughts, because I feel that they show this different perspective.

Your perspective is no different than any of the rest of ours. You think Biz or Demo or Vesp or I surround ourselves with "the same old rhetoric" all the time, or don't try to ferret out the logic (notice I used the word logic instead of the phrase feels that way) behind someone else's argument? The difference is you try to pass off your opinion as fact. Opinions skew arguments; facts "win" them.

The general political opinion on this forum is a few slots to the left of me, so obviously just based on different view points they disagreed, and thus everyone decided to argue against me.

That's some of the worst logic I've ever seen.

Rico

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +24/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2007, 10:37:22 PM »

It may be a little late for this, but since I have unique knowledge of the subject...  Agent_Tachyon, you realize those "wiretaps" you hate so much never targeted US citizens, right?  Currently laws prohibit the collection of intelligence involving US folks in any way.  So, if you're a known and proclaimed terrorist talking to your brother in the US, intel guys can't touch it.  Those "wiretaps" were simply a lax in those rules that said you could record any coversation involving known terrorists.  Even the use of the term "wiretap" is clear give away that you probably don't know much about it, since they're NOT wiretaps.  To be honest, I don't think wiretaps are even used anymore.  Also, even when you get a warrant for collecting on a US citizen(as in the FBI, or local Police), you're going to be collecting on who ever they're talking to.  So no matter what you do, almost any "wiretap" is a warrantless one since you rarely have warrants for both individuals being recorded.

There are plenty of good reasons not to be a fan of the President.  "Warrantless Wiretapping" however, is probably the stupidest since it's complete bull.  It was a low blow by folks that knew the intelligence community couldn't defend itself without giving away classified collection techniques.

In short, disagree if you like.  I'm not entirely sure I could care less.  At the very least though, try to form an intelligent opinion about something and don't just regurgitate the crap you saw on TV.  No matter who you listen to on the radio or watch on TV, they have an agenda and chances are good they're full of it.

Again, sorry to be late on that one, but it irritates the hell out of me seeing folks spewing that propoganda.
Magnus frater spectat te - Big Brother is watching you

12AX7

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2007, 10:58:26 PM »

Well said and 'splained.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4