The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 11:18:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129568
  • Total Topics: 7158
  • Online Today: 278
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BOMB!!!! ITS A BOMB!!! I KNOW IT IS!!!!  (Read 10683 times)

12AX7

BOMB!!!! ITS A BOMB!!! I KNOW IT IS!!!!
« on: February 01, 2007, 12:56:56 AM »

I don't get this at all.  Bomb Scare
Why is it the advertiser's fault people are so stupid? That's utterly ridiculous. I could go along with being mad at them if they designed something to LOOK LIKE a bomb; but these were simple lightboards. Simple lightboards with a character from a TV show. How in the FUCK does a dumbass come up with the idea that it's a bomb? Beyond that- why the FUCK couldn't the fucking BOMB SQUAD tell ??
  They tried an advertising gimmick; people are stupid so it failed; so now they want to PROSECUTE????? What the hell is wrong here??
GAAAAHHHHHHHDDDDD, sometimes it is SO embarrassing to be a human.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
Re: BOMB!!!! ITS A BOMB!!! I KNOW IT IS!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 02:16:15 AM »

People are so goddamn stupid about yelling 'I'M GONNA GET A LAWSUIT ON YOU!!'. Every day I get at least a dozen people threatening to sue my ass off for bullshit things, and it never happens. People are so stupid and now they've decided they can use the magical 'lawsuit' word to push their stupidity onto others.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 08:24:46 AM »

My understanding from the brief spot I saw on the local morning news is that they are prosecuting for the time/money spent in shutting down some pretty major transportation routes to ensure they weren't a bomb.

Not saying they should prosecute, just pointing out that the people who put those there should have said something to the police after the first "OMG Bomb SCARE!!" news alert went out.
--this space intentionally left blank--

12AX7

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 08:50:56 AM »

just pointing out that the people who put those there should have said something to the police after the first "OMG Bomb SCARE!!" news alert went out.
They did.
 "As soon as the company realized the problem, it said, law enforcement officials were told of their locations in all 10 cities.

So what we are looking at here, is if Joe Blow doesn't know that that "thing" you're carrying is a voltmeter; you get prosecuted! Because, of course, it would take the same resources (in one location) to "determine" it's not a bomb. After all, just who the hell do you think you are, toting around electronic devices in public after The Most Holiest Day 9 / 11 ( All hail!)
 Like I said- if they'd done it with the intent to suggest a bomb; I'd say hang em. But this... this is utterly ridiculous. They had absolutely no intent to make people think it was a bomb. THE CITIZENS made the mistake.
  Damn. Better hope tha hell none of y'all leave your Ipod on the bus. Some old granny might see it and freak out - and you'll be in court.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 08:56:20 AM »

It's all about putting down the robot revolution!  We can't let the robots win.  For, if we do, we'll have to listen to TECHNO!
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

milifist

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +36/-1
  • Beam me up!
    • View Profile
    • HaXor Central
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »

I don’t know if you’ve ever been to Boston, but it is an ideal place for terrorist attacks and a lot of people there know it. I think they should be proud of how they handled things. People noticed devices in places they don’t belonged and informed the authorities. The authorities responded with an appropriate level of caution.

Those light boards looked homemade and were powered by 4 D cell batteries which means they were easily large enough to be bombs.

youtube video showing them place lightboards on an overpass

Lightboard on ebay

They should simply be billed for the wasted man hours used dealing with their stupid stunt.

12AX7

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 09:28:31 AM »

There's pleny of places ideal for terrorist attacks. Yes, I've been to Boston.
 I agree; unusual item in an unusual place? Report it. Authorities moved in and from what I read, did an outstanding job. No one is disputing that.
 I have a problem with them wanting to sue and prosecute; and the public comments made about the advertisers by a public figure - before any investigation has even been done. The gist of this is - if someone - ANYone - decides they aren't sure about you or something you have or had with you; you get prosecuted, sued, and/or fined. That is bullshit.
  Do you remember the story of the "runaway bride" from here in Georgia?  Now THAT is something done purposely knowing it would cost a lot of money, time, and grief. That is worth prosecuting.
 In this case, nothing was done with the intent to decieve or cost anybody anything.

Suppose you are on the subway listening to your Ipod. It's an old Ipod, on it's last leg, with the headphone cables spliced together, etc, etc.  So on your trip, the damn thing finally dies. You toss it.
  Two seats back, Aunt Tilly sees you "fiddling" with some "thing" with wires hooked to it, then you put it in the trash and got off the bus. Aunt Tilly does her citizen's duty and reports your ass. Now - do you feel you should be prosecuted/fined/sued for the cost of them shutting the subway down, calling the bomb squad, arresting and investigating you since you carelessly threw an electronic device in the trash? Where does it end?

milifist

• Troll
  • Beam me up!
    • View Profile
    • HaXor Central
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 09:35:59 AM »

No. However, if Aunt Tilly sees me place an ipod on the girders of an overpass where it doesn't belong and isn't exactly legal to leave things on, then yes I should be prosecuted/fined/sued.

12AX7

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 09:50:02 AM »

The girders of an overpass are the PERFECT place for an ad, though.  An Ipod, no. An advertisment; yes. These were advertisements; even if no one "got it". So an overpass actually wouldn't be out of place for these items. Upon investigation, seeing they were ads, not bombs, the issue should be dropped. The company already has orders to take them all down.

12AX7

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 09:55:30 AM »

How in the FUCK does a dumbass come up with the idea that it's a bomb?

and then I said

I agree; unusual item in an unusual place? Report it. Authorities moved in and from what I read, did an outstanding job. No one is disputing that.

My apologies for getting carried away and misplacing my irritation, btw. It's a great thing that people notice what's going on around them and act. Even if they have no clue what a bomb looks like or doesn't. So I stand corrected there.

milifist

• Troll
  • Beam me up!
    • View Profile
    • HaXor Central
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 10:07:45 AM »

The girders of an overpass are the PERFECT place for an ad, though.  An Ipod, no. An advertisment; yes. These were advertisements; even if no one "got it". So an overpass actually wouldn't be out of place for these items. Upon investigation, seeing they were ads, not bombs, the issue should be dropped. The company already has orders to take them all down.

You’re generally not allowed to stick ads where ever you want on public property. If companies want to do guerrilla advertising, they should be willing to pay the price. The city expended a lot of resources because the advertising company didn’t follow the rules. It is not they city’s fault the advertisements were misunderstood. They have to respond when someone reports a suspicious device in a public place. The boards didn’t belong where they were put, and they weren’t readily identifiable as harmless advertisements. I don't think there should be any criminal charges, but they should have to pay for their mistakes.

milifist

• Troll
  • Beam me up!
    • View Profile
    • HaXor Central
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 10:11:27 AM »

Even if they have no clue what a bomb looks like or doesn't.

So what does a bomb look like? With malleable explosives like semtex, a bomb could look like anything.

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 10:18:10 AM »

They did.
 "As soon as the company realized the problem, it said, law enforcement officials were told of their locations in all 10 cities.
Well they didn't mention that fact in the morning news.

In that case prosecuting is silly, but the company should pay something for man hours involved.  If you pull a fire-alarm falsely you have to pay for the fire-dept showing up.  Same deal.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:20:24 AM by Socrates »
--this space intentionally left blank--

12AX7

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 10:22:59 AM »

You’re generally not allowed to stick ads where ever you want on public property. If companies want to do guerrilla advertising, they should be willing to pay the price. The city expended a lot of resources because the advertising company didn’t follow the rules. It is not they city’s fault the advertisements were misunderstood. They have to respond when someone reports a suspicious device in a public place. The boards didn’t belong where they were put, and they weren’t readily identifiable as harmless advertisements. I don't think there should be any criminal charges, but they should have to pay for their mistakes.

Ok; there lies a valid point- if it's prohibited to place signage where they did. Then a law or ordinance has been broken; prosecution should indeed follow, as the expense to the city was great. There was no mention at all of that, though. I read four different articles on it (granted; the articles read as if one person wrote them all) and there was never any mention of the ads being placed in a prohibited location. I'm not an ad guy, so I admittedly don't know the "norms" when placing ads in public places; but there has to be some guidelines I would think. "You can here; you cant there, etc" 
 On the other hand, if it's not prohibited already, sorry; the city has to eat the bill. Now that this has happened, though, maybe would be a good time to think about (more) specific guidelines for placing ads, and what the ads should or shouldn't appear to be. Maybe "This is an advertisement" in plain view on it; the same as on TV and magazines.

**edit - quote included for clarity
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:26:49 AM by 12AX7 »

12AX7

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 10:23:59 AM »

So what does a bomb look like? With malleable explosives like semtex, a bomb could look like anything.
That was kinda my point. It shouldn't matter.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:27:15 AM by 12AX7 »

12AX7

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 10:25:40 AM »

If you pull a fire-alarm falsely you have to pay for the fire-dept showing up.  Same deal.
Almost. Pulling a fire alarm falsley is breaking the law. Placing an ad isn't. (unless in a prohibited location...see above)

milifist

• Troll
  • Beam me up!
    • View Profile
    • HaXor Central
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 10:31:45 AM »

Ok; there lies a valid point- if it's prohibited to place signage where they did. Then a law or ordinance has been broken; prosecution should indeed follow, as the expense to the city was great. There was no mention at all of that, though. I read four different articles on it (granted; the articles read as if one person wrote them all) and there was never any mention of the ads being placed in a prohibited location. I'm not an ad guy, so I admittedly don't know the "norms" when placing ads in public places; but there has to be some guidelines I would think. "You can here; you cant there, etc" 
 On the other hand, if it's not prohibited already, sorry; the city has to eat the bill. Now that this has happened, though, maybe would be a good time to think about (more) specific guidelines for placing ads, and what the ads should or shouldn't appear to be. Maybe "This is an advertisement" in plain view on it; the same as on TV and magazines.

**edit - quote included for clarity

Oh I agree, if it turns out they were allowed to place ads where they did, then the city should just suck it up. I don’t know about Boston’s ad regulations, but around here you can’t put up ads on government property (except election-related ads on the right-of-way).

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 10:39:27 AM »

I hear there have been two arrests for "Felony Lite-Brite distribution."
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 01:31:49 PM »

Does anybody realize quite how massively stupid it would be to place bombs with LIGHTS on them in public places where they are highly visible? If I was a serious terrorist, I'd put the bombs in rectangular housings, then spraypaint them dark green like the streetlights and put stamps matching those of the electric company and warnings about electrocution and some bogus bylaw about it being illegal to tamper with the device. Nobody would ever touch the thing if it looked legit.

Now I haven't turned on the TV in a month, but I don't remember the terrorist attack where the bomb had an animated cartoon character on it...

A nostalgic story from the good old pre-9/11 days, if you will.

I walked down the street from the hardware store carrying my toolbox that I had recently restocked with all sorts of wires, motors, rolls of tape, sidecutters and the like, and decided it was nice enough outside that I didn't have to stop home before going to the bank. Not THAT weird, but bear in mind that my toolbox is a surplus ammo box with "HIGH EXPLOSIVE" stencilled in yellow letters. I walked into the bank and stood in line at an ATM. I noticed a security dude was standing there so, figuring it was better to be safe than riddled with bullet-holes, I walked over, opened the  box and showed him the goodies inside. He said that was good, but that it was obvious I didn't actually have a bomb since nobody would carry a bomb inside in broad daylight to stand in line at an ATM.

Now I wonder how many steps I'd be able to take inside that bank before being shot today.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 01:51:41 PM »

Perhaps they really are terrorists.  This time they do the harmless adds.  Next time it will be a real bomb, and the media pundits will have the citizens too scared to call it in since it's obviously an advertisement.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 04:22:09 PM »

It's appears as if they're all been taken down now.

OR THEY WENT OFF!
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 04:24:52 PM »

Does anybody realize quite how massively stupid it would be to place bombs with LIGHTS on them in public places where they are highly visible?
I'm sorry; that question isn't about hair.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

12AX7

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 04:39:04 PM »

It's appears as if they're all been taken down now.

OR THEY WENT OFF!
Dude, I can't put every one of your posts in the HECTAR! thread! :D

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 10:28:08 PM »

My friend was late to class because of that, they shut down a shit load of stuff. (T, roadways, etc... though it didn't effect me, I was already at school.)

And yes, I live in Boston.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

12AX7

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 10:31:12 PM »

it didn't effect me, I was already at school.)

And yes, I live in Boston.
Aint it crazy how it affected me, though!

And no, I live in Georgia. :-)
Pages: [1] 2