The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 06:33:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Gym-Goers Beware  (Read 3473 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
Gym-Goers Beware
« on: March 08, 2007, 06:42:37 PM »

I have been a member of the same gym for over a year and a half now. I've gone on a very regular basis (About 4 to 5 times per week) and rarely miss a workout. Over this time period, I have seen some pretty good gains. These gains came from a lot of hard work and a good amount of discipline considering where I work (A fast food restaurant). I have found that the key is good nutrition and a demanding workout routine that is always challenging your body.

What I don't understand are all the people that go to the gym on the same consistent basis that I do and for the same amount of time, yet fail to lose any weight, gain any muscle, get cut, or whatever their goals maybe. Day in and day out I see these husky people run miles on the treadmill, dripping enough sweat to fill up a small container, yet for some reason, they can never seem to get rid of their spare tire.

Take Rich, for example. Rich goes to the gym religiously at around 8PM every night. He almost wears the same thing every night, and tends to do the same exercises every time. Here's a run down of Rich's normal workout routine that he follows:
1. Warm up on the treadmill for about 10 to 15 minutes
2. Take about a 20 minute break by talking to some poor sucker in the gym who accidentally made eye contact with him
3. Start to workout by doing an exercise totally wrong.
4. Stop working out, and start talking to the same person from step 2 again.
5. Get back on the treadmill and run like an absolute pansy for 45 minutes while taking breaks here and there to watch whatever gay sitcom is on at the time.
6. Talk some more.

This ritual usually ends by 10 or so, and when all is said and done, Rich probably did about 6 sets, and ran for a total of 25 minutes. Yet he managed to stay at the gym for almost two hours.

Are people like this common at all gyms, or is it just because I am in an area where people are generally lazy? Do any of you have any examples similar to this?

Anyanka_was_framed

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +148/-4
  • Your logic does not resemble our earth logic.
    • View Profile
Re: Gym-Goers Beware
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 09:53:22 PM »

I'm really lazy and skinny so I don't go to the gym.  The one I used to go to everyone seemed pretty focused on their workout though.  Your guy's probably lonely and seeking attention, and doesn't want to push himself too much because that's when it starts to hurt/burn/etc. and while that's when the work really gets done he doesn't want to deal with the discomfort so he blows it off by talking to whomever.

Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
Zoe: "Big damn heroes, sir."

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 10:28:19 AM »

It's like there everywhere, sadly. You can't just show up, do a half-assed attempt at some bench press work then spend 30 minutes in the sauna and expect to get in shape. I've seen guys that just focus on one area, usually the chest, and totally neglect the rest of their bodies. Then you've got the downright creeps that stare at every cute asian guy woman in the joint instead of working out.

I've gotten pretty damn out of shape, honestly, which I attribute entirely to my being unmotivated. And lazy. I wish I could get my old fire back and get myself back to the shape I was in about four years ago, but I can't seem to find it.  :oops:
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 12:13:14 PM »

Every once in a while I miss practice and have to go to the health club to get in a swim.  Health club swimmers (and I use that term loosely) are the worst.  This one guy took 63 strokes of freestyle to swim 25 yards.  But then again with all that thrashing he probably got a much better workout than me.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 02:36:23 PM »

I will not darken the doorway of a gym.

Ever.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 08:53:13 PM »

I just started going to the gym in enrique's apartment complex.  It's nice and private.  No one there to watch what I do and then report back to their internet nerd friends.

Aaaaanyway.  I gotta get in shape.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 09:01:47 PM »

It's nice and private.  No one there to watch what I do and then report back to their internet nerd friends.

No need to report it. The Dettacam in the ceiling is installed and fully operational.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 09:35:27 PM »

I hate gyms. I even hated apartment complex exercise rooms. Now I just walk a lot and bike when the weather's nice.