The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 11:56:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129621
  • Total Topics: 7185
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Star Trek XI (Spoiliers)  (Read 5121 times)

tweek

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +44/-5
  • Ice Monkey/Finne
    • View Profile
Star Trek XI (Spoiliers)
« on: May 10, 2009, 11:13:06 PM »

I don't want to sound like a snobby Lord of the Rings fan... but...

What the hell, the entire movie was an alternate timeline?  Time travel plays a large role in Star Trek, but I'm not happy with the entire movie setting up a completely new canon.  This makes a sequel difficult because they either have to rejoin the timeline or just ignore traditional canon and run with a new franchise.  I would have preferred if the movie ended with the alternative timeline ending/rejoining the traditional one.  Star Trek has done it before...

I suppose wiping out the movie and resetting history at the end would have pissed off most of the audience though.  People had connected with the characters stories to that point, and to re-rewrite the canon at the end would have thrown people off.  It seems the producers were working really hard to widen the appeal of Star Trek, and they did a good job with this movie. 

Thoughts?

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek XI (Spoiliers)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 12:52:49 AM »

I'm not usually a fan of the space-time episodes or movies in the first place. However, (while we're being spoilers) I think one of the reasons they did it this way was to justify putting in one of the original Star Trek cast. That being said, I liked the movie aside from the gratuitous camera shaking that took place.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Probie

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +223/-5
  • The natural nap catalyst
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 03:42:42 AM »

I thought it was awesome. I went to see it in an IMAX theatre and I was blown away. I agree with the shaky camera thing though. I am finding it in a lot of movies these days. Similar with Wolverine.

// ------- Probie ------- //
// ----------------------- //
// --- T3H GEEKERY --- //
// ----------------------- //
www.niccisixx.com - I can put this here, because I'm awesome.

Midnight Beacon

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +3/-1
  • What If
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 12:03:50 PM »

I thought they did a good job introducing the characters, especially for those who may have never seen the original series.  I can understand why they chose to do an alternate timeline with this movie, it allows for both Spocks to be in the movie, as well as some license with the storyline.  I admit it, seeing Leonard Nimoy on screen as Spock touched me.  It's like seeing an old friend.

I dislike the fact that they destroyed Vulcan, for personal reasons as well as for the "how is this going to effect the future / how can certain things happen now" factor.  I also dislike that his mother is killed, but that's me being a softy. 

Probie

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +223/-5
  • The natural nap catalyst
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 12:13:51 PM »

yeah I cried why he said "live long and prosper". (I'm such a big girl)

I quite like that the broke into a new time line, its allowed for more movies without trying to redo old ground, which would probably just upset die hard fans.
// ------- Probie ------- //
// ----------------------- //
// --- T3H GEEKERY --- //
// ----------------------- //
www.niccisixx.com - I can put this here, because I'm awesome.

buisysignal

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 04:06:40 PM »

The movie was so awesome. This captain Kirk was so much better then Shatner, he can actually act. Maybe its because I se it only once, but I didnt see any problems with it. I love J.J abrahms and his techniques.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 05:31:35 PM »

The movie was so awesome. This captain Kirk was so much better then Shatner, he can actually act. Maybe its because I se it only once, but I didnt see any problems with it. I love J.J abrahms and his techniques.
Shame on you.
I love the original Kirk and the original series.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

tweek

• Jail Bait
  • Ice Monkey/Finne
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 08:03:14 PM »

That being said, I liked the movie aside from the gratuitous camera shaking that took place.

The shaky camera thing was big on The Shield, and I liked it there.  It's over done though. 

I thought they did a good job introducing the characters, especially for those who may have never seen the original series.  I can understand why they chose to do an alternate timeline with this movie, it allows for both Spocks to be in the movie, as well as some license with the storyline.  I admit it, seeing Leonard Nimoy on screen as Spock touched me.  It's like seeing an old friend.

I dislike the fact that they destroyed Vulcan, for personal reasons as well as for the "how is this going to effect the future / how can certain things happen now" factor.  I also dislike that his mother is killed, but that's me being a softy. 

I'm okay with it when Star Trek uses an time travel to explain why things happen the way they did.  I was hoping they would use the time travel to establish the traditional canon.  Seeing Vulcan destroyed though pissed me off, and I spent the rest of the movie waiting for the "oh, let's prevent this from ever happening" moment. 

On the subject of Nimoy, I saw him in one of the trailers.  I never imagined he'd play Spock though.  I thought he was going to play Sarek.  That's actually one of the reasons I didn't want Shatner in the movie, I was worried they'd have him play an older Kirk.  If you want to give Nimoy a part, don't have him play Spock.  If I were going to put Sean Connery in a Bond movie tomorrow, he sure as hell wouldn't play an older Bond.  It's a good thing I didn't cast Never Say Never Again.  The whole Spock and Future Spock thing was just ridiculous.  I'm surprised they didn't give Nimoy a goatee. 

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 09:12:17 PM »

I'd like to see Connery play James Bond in a prequel.  Just think of the make-up required to make him look like a 12 year old...

tweek

• Jail Bait
  • Ice Monkey/Finne
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 09:31:29 PM »

I want Connery to play a villain. 

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 09:16:02 AM »

My thoughts on the new Star Trek.

Casting: with only a couple of exceptions, this is the strongest part of the film.  The actors selected to play the primary parts were a stroke of genius, and they executed their roles very well.

Alternate Timeline: Ugh.  As others have mentioned, I can see why they would want (or even need) to do this, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.  Don't get me wrong here; I'm not an "OMG IT'S DIFFERANT SO I HATE IT!" fanboi, I just don't think it was necessary.  Based on the backstory of the original Kirk and Spock, I think they had a better potential movie storyline already in front of them if they'd followed what Roddenberry had initially envisioned for young James T.

Nimoy Playing An Old Spock: This didn't bother me as much as the reason for his inclusion (i.e., the whole alternate timeline thing).  If it had been in a flash-forward to an older Spock it wouldn't have bothered me.

Camera Jitter: I have to admit, I didn't notice.

Special Effects: Very convincing, well-executed, but too cluttered in some action scenes.  There is such a thing as showing too much going on in a particular shot.

As an overall, I liked it.  The time-travel alternate timeline premise really dragged it down for me though, so I give it 3 stars out of 5.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 08:55:47 PM »

Good movie.
My only problem was that they could beam a guy onto a ship traveling at warp speeds, but for the rest of the movie they have trouble locking the transporter on people who are basically moving around too much.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 09:14:56 PM »

I'm in the process of downloading it now. It should go fairly quickly seeing as all the nerds in the world are currently seeding this file.

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 08:30:30 AM »

Star Trek is awesome, I loved it.

Everyone should see it. Even people that hate Star Trek, loved Star Trek.

Did that make your brain explode?
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 12:54:54 PM »

Did that make your brain explode?

Explode, no. More like a-splode.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 12:03:16 PM »

After having seen the movie I can now say, I love it!

It reminded me of why I had a crush on Spock as a little girl.

If they try to rejoin the timeline with the original canon I'll be pissed off. I like what they did to it and I was sitting in the theatre geeking out like a total nerd. I want more! Now!
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike

Midnight Beacon

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +3/-1
  • What If
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 10:52:08 AM »

After having seen the movie I can now say, I love it!

It reminded me of why I had a crush on Spock as a little girl.

If they try to rejoin the timeline with the original canon I'll be pissed off. I like what they did to it and I was sitting in the theatre geeking out like a total nerd. I want more! Now!

Nice to know I'm not the only one.  Thank you. 

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 12:22:40 PM »

You had a crush on Spock too?

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 12:19:43 PM »

My thoughts on the new Star Trek.

Casting: with only a couple of exceptions, this is the strongest part of the film.  The actors selected to play the primary parts were a stroke of genius, and they executed their roles very well.

Alternate Timeline: Ugh.  As others have mentioned, I can see why they would want (or even need) to do this, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.  Don't get me wrong here; I'm not an "OMG IT'S DIFFERANT SO I HATE IT!" fanboi, I just don't think it was necessary.  Based on the backstory of the original Kirk and Spock, I think they had a better potential movie storyline already in front of them if they'd followed what Roddenberry had initially envisioned for young James T.

Nimoy Playing An Old Spock: This didn't bother me as much as the reason for his inclusion (i.e., the whole alternate timeline thing).  If it had been in a flash-forward to an older Spock it wouldn't have bothered me.

Camera Jitter: I have to admit, I didn't notice.

Special Effects: Very convincing, well-executed, but too cluttered in some action scenes.  There is such a thing as showing too much going on in a particular shot.

As an overall, I liked it.  The time-travel alternate timeline premise really dragged it down for me though, so I give it 3 stars out of 5.

Well I finally saw it.  They showed it in our auditorium at work.  Demo summed up most of my thoughts through about the first half of the movie.  By the second half I was sold.  I liked the characters, I liked the cinematography, I liked the screenplay.  I was having fun and enjoyed myself.  I've decided to forego any further analysis and put it in my Netflix queue and watch it with the wife and hopefully enjoy it again.

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 12:53:54 PM »

The alternate timeline is a conspiracy. now they can make an entire new string of "series's" without having to worry about the old canon.

In other words its a big middle finger to the old fanbase, particularly the part of the fanbase that loves to point out inconsistencies like Spock saying that cloaking is impossible, despite there being cloaking in Enterprise
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 01:02:08 PM »

The alternate timeline is a conspiracy. now they can make an entire new string of "series's" without having to worry about the old canon.

In other words its a big middle finger to the old fanbase, particularly the part of the fanbase that loves to point out inconsistencies like Spock saying that cloaking is impossible, despite there being cloaking in Enterprise

Maybe the timeline that was destroyed was actually a different timeline, and now we're back on track, and old Spock will be all like "A functional cloaking device. Fascinating." and new Spock will be all like "Derrrr, old man, get with it already."

"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 09:17:37 PM »

I can't wait to find out what happens next time I watch it....

Wouldn't it be cool if they did like a dozen movies around the same storyline a la Lola Rennt?