The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 12:49:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129553
  • Total Topics: 7150
  • Online Today: 177
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Random Rants/Health Care  (Read 34089 times)

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Rants/Health Care
« Reply #200 on: November 19, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »

Wunderkind, insurance isn't for helping the ill. Insurance is for insuring that CEOs are adequately compensated.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 19, 2009, 12:33:22 PM »

I have one thing to post in this thread. 'Pre-existing condition' is a concept I want to see banished.

I fully agree with this.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2009, 02:18:28 PM »

Not because I don't want to laugh when kids like Clear_Runway realize they do need insurance but it's too late.

Look, its simple logic. the insurance company has to make a profit, i.e., there must be more money coming in as payments than going out to the insured. Which means that, on average, you will end up spending more on insurance than you would if you just fixed the problem yourself. This applies to all insurance, not just health care. And since I have no "pre-existing conditions", or for that matter health problems of any kind, I think it would be better not to have insurance and risk disaster than have insurance and hamstring my bank account.
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2009, 03:12:33 PM »

Look, its simple logic. the insurance company has to make a profit, i.e., there must be more money coming in as payments than going out to the insured. Which means that, on average, you will end up spending more on insurance than you would if you just fixed the problem yourself. This applies to all insurance, not just health care. And since I have no "pre-existing conditions", or for that matter health problems of any kind, I think it would be better not to have insurance and risk disaster than have insurance and hamstring my bank account.

Well, as long as you can cough up, say, $15K for a broken leg or something, more power to you. Just remember to put away a few hundred dollars every month into an untouchable savings account, or you may be caught short.

Do you think your position might change if you start a family? Or buy a house? Because childbirth costs tons, and real estate assets are commonly liquidated by uninsured people in crises.

"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

12AX7

« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2009, 03:16:30 PM »

I tend to agree with this; but only when I was young, HEALTHy, single, and childless. Once you marry or have children, it's not about you alone anymore; and a catastrophic incident to you with no insurance would seriously affect anyone dependent on you.

On the other hand; if no one is dependent on you and your catastrophic incident doesn't place undue burden on someone else (because you have all this ca$h and can pay the bill in full yourself); go for it.

12AX7

« Reply #205 on: November 19, 2009, 03:17:15 PM »

Do you think your position might change if you start a family? Or buy a house? Because childbirth costs tons, and real estate assets are commonly liquidated by uninsured people in crises.

ha..  gmta

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 19, 2009, 03:43:33 PM »

I didn't say it was for everyone. just me, for the foreseeable future.
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 19, 2009, 08:28:55 PM »

I would think that Darwin Award winners are more often uninsured...
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]