The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 08:18:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129552
  • Total Topics: 7149
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: well now.  (Read 3469 times)

Mr.Bojangles

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
well now.
« on: February 14, 2003, 10:50:48 PM »

yea i know im new here..

i just cant help but notice the general anti american govt vibe this forum is giving off, and i dont really understand why. maybe someone would like to fill me in?

i think you guys are focusing on everything you think america is doing wrong and not even stopping to think or appreciate what this government does for you. i havent read all the threads yet so maybe im jumping the gun here when i say this but im guessing the bulk of you here are left wing?  BAH cant stand liberals.

remember everybody. happiness is a republican majority. yes.

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ice-on-fire.net
well now.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2003, 12:08:40 AM »

I have other things to do than bitch about the government, they do an okay job, and I'll put up with taxes I suppose.

Life could be a lot worse... I'm fine with the way things are...

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
well now.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2003, 01:24:56 AM »

I don't live in the States, so I have no real idea of what the government is like locally. O'er here, as in most of the world, the States is frowned upon due to their increasingly invasive foreign policies.

By the by, a Republican majority usually only benefits those who already have money.  :roll:

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
well now.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2003, 09:12:44 AM »

I prefer to call myself a Libertarian. I don't subscribe to the crap the news agencies put out, and neither do I trust the government to tell me the truth. In any case, things go the same way no matter WHO is elected: bigger government, less public interaction. End result: the little guy gets screwed.

I wish we could go back to real democracy... ::sigh::
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

Mr.Bojangles

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
well now.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2003, 10:24:06 AM »

lacerda: i see. well with great power comes great responsibility, and the united states is a world power, and even though nobody may like it, i think we do have some sort of a duty to try and keep order in the world.. even though i do agree with you that self interste plays a huge role in our involvement, you cant blame the us govt.. its not like any other govt wouldnt do what we're doing if they were a super power.. hell history has porven other countries to be a lot worse.. look at great britain in the early 1900's they were a colonial super power... they were terrible.
and democracy only penalizes those who are more successful, republicans make it fair for everyone.

banshee: more liberty equals less security and vice versa. if you want to insure domestic tranquility than you have to give up some liberties.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
well now.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2003, 01:07:22 PM »

Ok, so you've read the book "World Government According to Uncle Ben". Keen.

Here's the thing: comparing the modern day actions of the U.S. government to those of colonial Great Britain is absurd. It's a completely different time, and a completely different world agenda.

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
well now.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2003, 09:37:00 AM »

Quote from: Mr.Bojangles
lacerda: i see. well with great power comes great responsibility, and the united states is a world power, and even though nobody may like it, i think we do have some sort of a duty to try and keep order in the world.. even though i do agree with you that self interste plays a huge role in our involvement, you cant blame the us govt.. its not like any other govt wouldnt do what we're doing if they were a super power.. hell history has porven other countries to be a lot worse.. look at great britain in the early 1900's they were a colonial super power... they were terrible.
and democracy only penalizes those who are more successful, republicans make it fair for everyone.

banshee: more liberty equals less security and vice versa. if you want to insure domestic tranquility than you have to give up some liberties.

You subscribe to the same line of bullshit that the news agencies like to feed you. Example: the terror alerts. I don't see how anyone can't not see the blatant manipulation present in the release of these so-called alerts. Case: public is becoming dissatisfied with the War on Terror. Response: raise the alert level and watch the sheep scurry for cover. A month later, when the dust has settled, do it again.

You're wrong. More liberty leads to MORE security. People become happier and work harder. The government focuses on PROTECTING rights instead of taking them away. The police force stops worrying about catching the non-violent drug offenders and goes after the criminals that lace drugs with mind-fucking additives. The police, also free from other pointless duties and augmented by an influx of cash from the sale of overseas military bases, are able to station officers at airports and other points of entry into the country. Immigration becomes free and open to all, providing a single background check is negative. The US withdraws from countries that it doesn't "own" (meaning every single one), and stops interfering in other countries' internal/external disputes unless American property in DIRECTLY threatened (and not used and an excuse to get involved, read the Cold War), meaning Israel/Palestine in particular. I highly doubt there would be many problems with other countries if they can't blame the United States for every little thing that happens that they don't like. The EU would actually have to get up off their collective ass and stop bitching, for once. The UN would have to make decisions and enforce them without a majority of US troops (not to say the US would not be participating in the UN anymore) to strong-arm/bully other countries.

If you're wondering where my facts are, go here, they explain it in much more detail.
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

Anonymous

well now.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2003, 10:24:19 PM »

Hey at least you didn't sent him to www.zombo.com! That's good!

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
well now.
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2003, 10:53:24 AM »

Quote from: Mr.Bojangles
If you are all right with giving up your freedoms in exchange for security, I have no problems with that.

If you are all right with giving up some of your rights if it means you'll be safer, I'm okay with it.

But stay the fuck away from MY rights.  And stay the fuck away from MY liberties.

I'd rather live free and in fear and poverty than be well-fed and safe in a cage.

So you are cordially invited to go fuck yourself, you Republican hypocrite.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
well now.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2003, 11:36:56 AM »

"Those who would give up a little freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security."

Heh, that quote's been floatin around alot lately.
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!