The Geek Forum

• May 10, 2024, 03:33:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129622
  • Total Topics: 7185
  • Online Today: 145
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Can I get your professional opinions on someones work?  (Read 3979 times)

rogue_77

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-11
  • Realities a mere illusion, albeit a persistent one
    • View Profile
    • Mindblogling!
Can I get your professional opinions on someones work?
« on: February 10, 2010, 09:31:29 PM »

So I'm taking an anthropology class and as part of an assignment we had to reply to others assignments on a discussion thing.  We had to answer a couple questions that the teacher posted.

Question 1:  What would your response be if your relatives(or ancestors) were dug up to make way for a road?
Question 2:  If you were the one in charge of everything(the road crew, contacting state offices and relatives and scientists to study the bones) how would you prioritize things?

So I was reading through peoples responses and came across this little beauty and just wondering what you guys think of it.  Honesty please.  I just want to know if my gut feeling is right or wrong on how I feel about it but I think I should follow my gut.  =)

1.   If deceased relatives of mine were displaced by a road grader during the development of a highway, I might cringe.  The irony of the situation would be numbing; a place of eternal rest may ease the mind of those who visit, a highway could never resemble such a place.  Highways to modern Americans, folks which necessitate the existence of highways themselves, are looked on with despair and frustration.  Highway traffic is a loud and constant source of noise pollution.  How can a person’s prayers to the dead compare to noise pollution?  One cannot see noise anymore than one may see a dead relative inside of a tomb underground.  
   Still, progress makes progress.  One who hates highways because interred relatives were cast aside by a bull-dozer during the highway’s construction may offer a refreshing aspect on hatred of highways.  Because highways might represent noise to urban dwellers, who then hate highways, may gravitate to a rural type who connects directly (by the relatives’ un-interment) with such a permanent, sterile, inhuman, immovable manifestation of American culture.  
   On the other hand, the highway development plan may come of a design by karma.  Envision a family very social, very political, and very influential in the ancient past.  Perhaps this family originated a profound type of religion.  Perhaps the family in mind were independent thinkers, scientific types during time prior of the agricultural revolution.  Perhaps they knew a terrific recipe for fried-chicken.  In any-case, respected, loved, feared, or admired, the highway should not pass anywhere except over their gravesite.  The spot those bones rested for thousands of years leaked fumes of success, joy, whatever, and anyone who drove over the spot at which they rested may find the same terrific experiences the ancestors in question invented, if desired.
   Further still, roads are roads.  The ancient folks of Pueblo Bonita knew the trigonometry needed to build a straight road.  Modern Americans know how to build them too, except with more curves which add scenic perspectives from a quickly moving vehicle.  All the same, if the ones who built the first roads walked, the road necessitated straightness.  
   Imagine a time with wide expanses of time, the earth a place of invention; an original human.  Of course things changed, original invention undertaken in the basement may still take place, with some limitations.  If my relatives’ remains shifted in the soil, then sifted through gigantic machinery which design roads, it would probably only come because of ignorance of the location of the gravesite.    The dense irony of the situation would make me feel numb.

2.   The project must reach completion, and I know the way to complete it.  The desires of several parties must get satisfied.  The family of the interred relatives, the contractors designing the road, the state offices which find special labor for the project, and the desires of fellow scientists need to know they are all working together on the project (road).  Again, the project does not belong to them; it belongs to me.  They just need to know of the presence of one another so they can use each other when necessary.   For example, the state offices alert a contractor’s union special labor called “Archeologists” would work on the site; prepare for, or hire, some.  The contractor’s union may reply, “Why, Jerks?”  To which the State would reply, “Because, of the demands of such-and-such a group.”  By knowing the structure of an excavation effort toes would not get stepped on, fewer feelings would get hurt.
   So, the tricky part:  Notifying who cares about who’s in the ground about what will cover the ground after the project finishes.  How might one begin finding the appropriate nation of people a gravesite will be paved over with two feet of limestone gravel, steel re-bar, and concrete?  This may take a while without the help of a few state offices, perhaps within which anthropologists may exist.  If I may find an archeologist, a biological anthropologist, a cultural anthropologist, or an interpreter I would immediately ask him/her to begin a file on our project. I would then command, “Contact folks who may have relatives in-ground, or who might know of folks with relatives in-ground and where those folks may be found.  Then alert these particular folks to the urgency of the situation!”  If no anthropologists exist, I would quickly begin to invent a new science; I would have much work to do before the road could go down.  
   Assuming the scientist(s) available well versed in Native American culture and reach a point of interest in three dimensional spaces, the gravesites would resolve their hidden locations to the mystical relatives.  The relatives portray the locations to the archeologist of the State, who would begin the systematic destruction of the gravesite.  
   I expect labor would patiently watch, everyday, until the excavation reached completion to the satisfaction of the pleasant relative(s) of the bones.  After, the road with cars on it would be hex free.  All parties involved could come together, with some food to share, and speak about the experience we shared with one another.

(EDIT: Typo, best fixed or face severe ridicule by the jury.  =P )
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:33:29 PM by rogue_77 »

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Re: Can I get your professional opinions on someones work?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 09:43:33 PM »

I don't think the first question was answered and I think the second answer was written by some touchy-feely liberal.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 10:02:13 PM »

why would they need to dig people up to make a road? roads go on top of the land, I dont think they extend six feet down. (not that I would know)
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:12:22 PM »

Yeah, they might dislodge a coffin or two, while grading and laying the gravel and such for drainage. However, even if they don't dislodge the coffin, imagine getting this notice.

"We have annexed the cemetery holding your grandparents remains. They will now be located not six feet under daisies, but six feet under Hondas. Have a nice day."

"Yeah, my grandparents are buried under I-4..." I don't know, it just doesn't have a good sound to it.

Not to mention it would seriously jepordize the stability of the roads if its a wood box and it slowly decades, leaving an indention which later could become a sinkhole.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:22:16 AM »

My opinion?

Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

rogue_77

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
    • Mindblogling!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 01:06:50 AM »

Not 100% but the teacher says that road crews can have crews that go in front of them if they think theres going to be something there.  Its called Cultural Resource management or something and he says they work alongside things like road crews.

I don't think roads go 6' down but I do think they dig stuff up and move dirt around so theres a chance of hitting skeletons or sites.

I don't know, but he made us watch a BBC video called Bones of Contention and thats where the discussion came from.  It happens in Iowa like early 80's a road crew was building a highway and found an indian burial ground so naturally the Indians freaked out and raised all hell.

I'd personally agree with you that he dodged the first answer.  I read something else this guy wrote in a small DIY thing and a couple people have said they like his article but I get about 1/4 the way in and get sick of reading it because he tries to make himself more then he probably is.  Like another friend said, his article is full of 10 cent words.

If you care to get more of his meandering I have his other piece.

Priority Number One
by -
With so many activities to keep a person busy in contemporary times, losing a
job and staying unemployed might challenge most people. Instead of keeping methods
to maintain idleness to oneself, share them. Men and women of all ages must
suppress their telos (their purpose in life), and remain unemployed from the field of
their pleasure at all costs. A new telos indoctrinated into
the American public will loosen the drive to succeed from their grip.
A telos of an apathetic, purposeless, zombie-like existence will
make angels of lazy, dirty, uneducated heathen. In this bliss-like
state, men and women will raise children of their own stock or the
stock of others. Scientifically reproduced in a womb of a laboratory,
the children will merely develop few of the original five senses
cherished by countless generations of human families before them.
Identifiable officers will bestow these kids to couples joined together
by a Marriage Matrix. The strange will live among strangers who
are strangers married to each other. Will love exist after generations
of these zombie kids are pulled from the genome? One hopes not.
First, in the opening stages of the human telos decomposition,
adults must behave in accordance with certain activities which
were deemed appropriate by the Holy See, like during the Middle
Ages when the world burned. These activities include gestures
discouraging intent. These gestures generally appear anti-social:
Not shaking hands, use of psycho energy, sexual abuse of men
during teen years, segregation of gender and physical violence.
Emotional mistreatment will work when the abuse happens early
on or after a point when the recipients may no longer describe what
happens to them. Men and women who are forced to mistrust one
another will not continue to procreate. This will make exactly the
right time to begin genome manipulation in human reproduction.
Men and women will begin to recognize small versions of
themselves (children) in places outside of the home, but they will
find themselves powerless to explain what they see. The New Telos
will begin to take hold.

Next, after basic discouragement, any thirst for social interaction
must satisfy those who use the Internet on small computer screens.
The ones who use it may only make acquaintances with images
of people in unknown, unverified places. Being under the visual
control of the Internet will ease and relieve more strongly-willed
folks from their critical thinking skills. They will begin to stare at
each other during the meat meal which will be held six times a day,
at home and in industry. Families will stare into the eyes of one
another while they dine. The meat will be held in the hand. Because
the steak will come from the county laboratory instead of the federal
slaughterhouse, good hygiene will no longer necessitate cooking it.
Dry goods and perishable items must remain locked away in
storage. Those who require tasties will show identification for
access to tasty treats.

Ethically, these ideas are not far off. Clearly the most good
will benefit the greatest number of people when these ideas are
instituted, or put in place. The New Utilitarianism will acquiesce
future generations of “humans” by easing them, forcefully, into a
zombie-like state which they will maintain themselves. The children
of the age of New Telos will slip away from vice and malice like an
avalanche on a mountain side. Of course, the generations between
may feel the pinch, but one may put down resistance if necessary.
In the New Utilitarianism, the New Telos will hit America: Priority
number one. Obviously accomplishing these objectives appear
merely a matter of time; the seeds have been planted, beginning with
the Biological Revolution of the 1970s. Unemployment can turn
people to a cultureless blob, impossible for simple humans to fight in
any way.

I just get sick of guys like these and there seems to be a lot of them around these days or seems to be a lot around where I live.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 01:44:11 AM »

So I'm taking an anthropology class and as part of an assignment we had to reply to others assignments on a discussion thing.  We had to answer a couple questions that the teacher posted.

Question 1:  What would your response be if your relatives(or ancestors) were dug up to make way for a road?
Question 2:  If you were the one in charge of everything(the road crew, contacting state offices and relatives and scientists to study the bones) how would you prioritize things?

So I was reading through peoples responses and came across this little beauty and just wondering what you guys think of it.  Honesty please.  I just want to know if my gut feeling is right or wrong on how I feel about it but I think I should follow my gut.  =)

1.   If deceased relatives of mine were displaced by a road grader during the development of a highway, I might cringe.  The irony of the situation would be numbing; a place of eternal rest may ease the mind of those who visit, a highway could never resemble such a place.  Highways to modern Americans, folks which necessitate the existence of highways themselves, are looked on with despair and frustration.  Highway traffic is a loud and constant source of noise pollution.  How can a person’s prayers to the dead compare to noise pollution?  One cannot see noise anymore than one may see a dead relative inside of a tomb underground.  
   Still, progress makes progress.  One who hates highways because interred relatives were cast aside by a bull-dozer during the highway’s construction may offer a refreshing aspect on hatred of highways.  Because highways might represent noise to urban dwellers, who then hate highways, may gravitate to a rural type who connects directly (by the relatives’ un-interment) with such a permanent, sterile, inhuman, immovable manifestation of American culture.  
   On the other hand, the highway development plan may come of a design by karma.  Envision a family very social, very political, and very influential in the ancient past.  Perhaps this family originated a profound type of religion.  Perhaps the family in mind were independent thinkers, scientific types during time prior of the agricultural revolution.  Perhaps they knew a terrific recipe for fried-chicken.  In any-case, respected, loved, feared, or admired, the highway should not pass anywhere except over their gravesite.  The spot those bones rested for thousands of years leaked fumes of success, joy, whatever, and anyone who drove over the spot at which they rested may find the same terrific experiences the ancestors in question invented, if desired.
   Further still, roads are roads.  The ancient folks of Pueblo Bonita knew the trigonometry needed to build a straight road.  Modern Americans know how to build them too, except with more curves which add scenic perspectives from a quickly moving vehicle.  All the same, if the ones who built the first roads walked, the road necessitated straightness.  
   Imagine a time with wide expanses of time, the earth a place of invention; an original human.  Of course things changed, original invention undertaken in the basement may still take place, with some limitations.  If my relatives’ remains shifted in the soil, then sifted through gigantic machinery which design roads, it would probably only come because of ignorance of the location of the gravesite.    The dense irony of the situation would make me feel numb.

2.   The project must reach completion, and I know the way to complete it.  The desires of several parties must get satisfied.  The family of the interred relatives, the contractors designing the road, the state offices which find special labor for the project, and the desires of fellow scientists need to know they are all working together on the project (road).  Again, the project does not belong to them; it belongs to me.  They just need to know of the presence of one another so they can use each other when necessary.   For example, the state offices alert a contractor’s union special labor called “Archeologists” would work on the site; prepare for, or hire, some.  The contractor’s union may reply, “Why, Jerks?”  To which the State would reply, “Because, of the demands of such-and-such a group.”  By knowing the structure of an excavation effort toes would not get stepped on, fewer feelings would get hurt.
   So, the tricky part:  Notifying who cares about who’s in the ground about what will cover the ground after the project finishes.  How might one begin finding the appropriate nation of people a gravesite will be paved over with two feet of limestone gravel, steel re-bar, and concrete?  This may take a while without the help of a few state offices, perhaps within which anthropologists may exist.  If I may find an archeologist, a biological anthropologist, a cultural anthropologist, or an interpreter I would immediately ask him/her to begin a file on our project. I would then command, “Contact folks who may have relatives in-ground, or who might know of folks with relatives in-ground and where those folks may be found.  Then alert these particular folks to the urgency of the situation!”  If no anthropologists exist, I would quickly begin to invent a new science; I would have much work to do before the road could go down.  
   Assuming the scientist(s) available well versed in Native American culture and reach a point of interest in three dimensional spaces, the gravesites would resolve their hidden locations to the mystical relatives.  The relatives portray the locations to the archeologist of the State, who would begin the systematic destruction of the gravesite.  
   I expect labor would patiently watch, everyday, until the excavation reached completion to the satisfaction of the pleasant relative(s) of the bones.  After, the road with cars on it would be hex free.  All parties involved could come together, with some food to share, and speak about the experience we shared with one another.

(EDIT: Typo, best fixed or face severe ridicule by the jury.  =P )

This is way too much the fuck too many words for what essentially an answer to a yes or no question.

Answer 1: either "ok, whatever" or "hell no".
Answer 2: SOP.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 09:12:55 PM »

Well, first of all, too much respect is paid to dead bodies...

Honestly the fact that we pay so much respect to someone's decomposing body is a bit disturbing in the first place, as it not only highlights how idiotic traditions have impeded sociocultural progress, but is just a bit morose and dark and in bad taste in my opinion.

Grief does not need to be highlighted and made into a festival...  Mourn the dead quickly, appreciate what they did while they were living and their free-standing contributions to society and move on.  This may seem "ultra-progressive" to some, but it's sad if it does, as this sort of progress should have been made decades-centuries ago.

We are well beyond the mass social importance placed upon arcane and expensive spiritual rituals which impede the progress and harmony of mankind and his contribution to earth.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 01:47:03 AM »

Well, first of all, too much respect is paid to dead bodies...

Honestly the fact that we pay so much respect to someone's decomposing body is a bit disturbing in the first place, as it not only highlights how idiotic traditions have impeded sociocultural progress, but is just a bit morose and dark and in bad taste in my opinion.

Grief does not need to be highlighted and made into a festival...  Mourn the dead quickly, appreciate what they did while they were living and their free-standing contributions to society and move on.  This may seem "ultra-progressive" to some, but it's sad if it does, as this sort of progress should have been made decades-centuries ago.

We are well beyond the mass social importance placed upon arcane and expensive spiritual rituals which impede the progress and harmony of mankind and his contribution to earth.

You are just edgy as fuck aren't you? So precious!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 12:25:03 PM »

Obviously we are not, or you wouldn't be composing manifestos about it.

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

12AX7

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 01:17:46 PM »

lol...  manifestos

12AX7

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 01:19:45 PM »

Los Mani Festos!
Come to with us and PARTY like eets May 5th, 1999 !!!
 We are to havening the BEEGESTest PARTY around!!
 Alive music; tequila; preety weemins!!!
 COME PARTY WITH US!!
 May 5th; Rodriguez Recreational Center
 Parking - 5$ Behind Rec Center
No glass containers or coolers prohibited
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 01:23:06 PM by 12AX7 »

rogue_77

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
    • Mindblogling!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 03:44:44 PM »

blah blah blah blah

I'll hook you up with the guys contact info if you want and you two can debate the universe if you want?   :wink:

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 11:40:17 PM »

Obviously we are not, or you wouldn't be composing manifestoes about it.

FTFY

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 04:07:54 PM »

Unlike with "potato", Danny-boy, you can't go wrong with "manifesto": both are correct.

Timberwolf

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +43/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 10:47:11 PM »

Grief does not need to be highlighted and made into a festival...  Mourn the dead quickly, appreciate what they did while they were living and their free-standing contributions to society and move on.

I really love Halloween and have always wanted to head South for Dia de los Muertos...

However, a lot of times fiber optics, gas, and major phone ducts go in with the road as a partnership and often parallel and cross major interstates and  that's not including the big boy cross-country gas line.  The standard depth for gas is 6' up heyar so running a line through Gramma = bad mojo, unless your a lawyer.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 12:41:22 AM »

I really love Halloween and have always wanted to head South for Dia de los Muertos...

However, a lot of times fiber optics, gas, and major phone ducts go in with the road as a partnership and often parallel and cross major interstates and  that's not including the big boy cross-country gas line.  The standard depth for gas is 6' up heyar so running a line through Gramma = bad mojo, unless your a lawyer.

So it's a choice between faster internets and the sanctity of gramma's remains.

Dang.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 12:42:14 AM »

And also, Nice to see you in these parts, TW!

Timberwolf

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +43/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 09:11:03 PM »

Hi Ivan!

Thanks, something to be said for being able to pop in and not have to "catch up".