The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 01:06:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129555
  • Total Topics: 7152
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Getting an education  (Read 1580 times)

rogue_77

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-11
  • Realities a mere illusion, albeit a persistent one
    • View Profile
    • Mindblogling!
Getting an education
« on: March 12, 2010, 03:48:25 PM »

So I'm currently going to college.  I'm currently in construction field supervision and I question if I should've choose this one as the instructor and program is a bit lame but I've started it and going to see how it goes.

The point though is that some of the classes they require are a bit of a waste or joke IMHO like the one I'm taking is online and all the instructor does is say do the questions on page 10, read discussion question 1 and respond on the forum.  He doesn't really give feedback and his emails are nearly next to worthless.

I know of pre-req's and this "degree" has no pre-req's really.  My deal is I don't want to take the worthless classes that I *know* I won't use in the job(as I've had experience in the field) so I don't plan on getting a full degree, I just want the education.

So I'm wondering if anyone here actually knows if a school can refuse to give you classes based on the fact you don't want to take other classes or won't graduate with a degree?

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Re: Getting an education
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 04:23:09 PM »

I think that would depend entirely on the school in question. I know that at least at the junior college I went to, they didn't give a rats ass if you had a degree in mind as your ultimate goal or not. You could take any class you wanted to as long as you ponied up the money for tuition.

I suppose if I was really keen on astronomy and wanted to take a bunch of astronomy classes but had zero interest in working for a degree in that field, they'd still sell the classes to me.

Probably give me a funny look, but who cares?
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

rogue_77

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-11
  • Realities a mere illusion, albeit a persistent one
    • View Profile
    • Mindblogling!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:49:28 PM »

Thats more or less my opinion.  I'm not looking to learn stuff thats not needed at their trying to get me to take.  People looking for construction supervisor could care less if you have a degree, they want the experience, I have experience but want some more management style education.  I wouldn't see why they wouldn't let people get the education they want as long as they get the money but I don't know the technicalities of it.  I'll probably just have to talk to someone at the school but wondering if anyone here knows about this kind of thing.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 11:25:11 PM »

Thats more or less my opinion.  I'm not looking to learn stuff thats not needed at their trying to get me to take.  People looking for construction supervisor could care less if you have a degree, they want the experience, I have experience but want some more management style education.  I wouldn't see why they wouldn't let people get the education they want as long as they get the money but I don't know the technicalities of it.  I'll probably just have to talk to someone at the school but wondering if anyone here knows about this kind of thing.

I know that in my case, in order to get my Comp degree I only had to take a handful of non-related classes. If that's the case for you, you may want to just bite the bullet and take that Philo101 class just to get the degree.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-