The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 04:38:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129553
  • Total Topics: 7150
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Dude Law, am I breaking it? Should I? I'm Super Cereal!  (Read 2409 times)

rogue_77

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-11
  • Realities a mere illusion, albeit a persistent one
    • View Profile
    • Mindblogling!
Dude Law, am I breaking it? Should I? I'm Super Cereal!
« on: March 29, 2010, 05:33:45 PM »

Alright, heres the story.  A buddy got a really crappy condition house from his gma last year and I was helping him clean it out as she was a massive packrat and I probably spent a good 4-5 weeks of time out there.

So this summer he's looking to get into the demo and the real work of fixing it up and remodeling it.  Thing is I've kept telling him, go get a loan for 40k so he can buy the damn materials and get some actual work done but to my knowledge he's dragging his feet so he has a small budget to fix like one room and he'll probably run out of cash.

I currently don't need any help on anything but am I just being a jerk by not entirely wanting to help him do all his "dirty" work although I probably have nothing going on and could help him?

Should I expect him to help me with any projects I have coming up like building a deck or whatever?

Last summer I was doing it to be a nice guy and this summer I'd help because I'm a nice guy but its starting to get to feel like he needs to step up and get serious and get a loan or I'm just pussy footing around wasting my time on something when I could be doing something else?

I just know in the past I've let friends kind of walk on me and its starting to feel that way a bit, like he's using me as drive for himself to work on this because I know he'd be dragging probably more so if he didn't have my help.

So am I breaking dude law or ???

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
Re: Dude Law, am I breaking it? Should I? I'm Super Cereal!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 05:42:11 PM »

I wouldn't know. I'm not a dude.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

12AX7

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 07:11:09 PM »

You act like you have some real stake in the matter. You don't. It's nothing to you if he doesn't do it but one room at a time.
 Do you actually have something more important to do? If not, then what's the deal? He's not 'walking on you'; he's just asking you for help.
 Not like he's asking YOU for a loan. Unless you have something to do; I don't get what's the issue. If someone asks you for help, and you give it; that's
 hardly what I would call being walked on.
  And no; you should never help someone solely because you expect them to help you in the future. You help someone because you're helping.
  I don't know about "dude law"; just about being a decent friend. I know I'd help my friends; even if they only wanted to do it one wall at a time.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:53:20 AM »

One wall at a time is my pace. Actually, one shelf at a time, if I'm cleaning.

"Well, that shelf is clean, I'm done for the day."
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 10:47:57 AM »

The only dude law you're breaking is showing other-than-complete confidence in your own judgement and decision making. Total chick sauce.

Being lazy is totally in keeping with dudeness. So it expecting help on your manual labors if you help him with his. If he doesn't, it is he who is breaking dude laws.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

reimero

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +112/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.omgjonx.com
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 01:10:28 PM »

Is he plying you with beer in exchange for your help?
If not, why not?
If so, is it real beer or is it craptacular imitation Natty Light?
"This f*cker is in wisconsin, reimero is from awesomeland." - Bobert