The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 10:13:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129554
  • Total Topics: 7151
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: If you don't feel close to nature/environment is it really such a bad thing?  (Read 3423 times)

didiman

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-5
    • View Profile

I'm doing a pilot study on people and how they feel or don't feel to nature. http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Closeness_to_Nature. Various theories/ hypothesis and studies suggest that as a species we are hard wired to feel close to nature because its in our own self interest as a species. Some studies also propose that if you're a vegetarian you are more likely to feel closer to nature.

I wonder whether this is true. Have the studies really canvassed the proper range of people or have they simply surveyed people who are either part of an interested group or is it indicative of people who do surveys!

Either way it would be good to hear from people who don't normally participate in these things to get the other point of view. It only takes aprox 3-4 minutes (honestly) and you don't have to think about anything too much as its a matter of selecting choices http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Closeness_to_Nature.
Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile

Your research is complete.  Please be on your way.  There is nothing to see here.  Move along.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile

Yes, everyone feels close to their environment. If you don't believe me, try to remove an gamer from their natural habitat.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile

Studies that require the participants to not think very much are the best studies.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile

It only takes aprox 3-4 minutes (honestly) and you don't have to think about anything too much as its a matter of selecting choices 

You address 2 objections people might have to giving you what you want: 1 - people are loathe to spend lots of time doing boring stuff, and 2 - people are lazy and don't want to do anything hard. Putting aside the veiled insult contained in the latter assumption, you have yet to address the main objection:

What's in it for me?

You see, I have a finite supply of 4-minute intervals in my day, and most of those intervals are earmarked for projects that in some way advance -- or act to deter a regression of -- the well-being of me, my family, and friends. Given that you belong to none of these groups, I have to ask, again, what's in it for me?

"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete

If you're interested in what pilots think, why didn't you post this in an aviation forum?

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo

I'm doing a pilot study on people and how they feel or don't feel to nature. http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Closeness_to_Nature. Various theories/ hypothesis and studies suggest that as a species we are hard wired to feel close to nature because its in our own self interest as a species. Some studies also propose that if you're a vegetarian you are more likely to feel closer to nature.

I wonder whether this is true. Have the studies really canvassed the proper range of people or have they simply surveyed people who are either part of an interested group or is it indicative of people who do surveys!

Either way it would be good to hear from people who don't normally participate in these things to get the other point of view. It only takes aprox 3-4 minutes (honestly) and you don't have to think about anything too much as its a matter of selecting choices http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Closeness_to_Nature.

tl;dr

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

didiman

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-5
    • View Profile

You address 2 objections people might have to giving you what you want: 1 - people are loathe to spend lots of time doing boring stuff, and 2 - people are lazy and don't want to do anything hard. Putting aside the veiled insult contained in the latter assumption, you have yet to address the main objection:

What's in it for me?

You see, I have a finite supply of 4-minute intervals in my day, and most of those intervals are earmarked for projects that in some way advance -- or act to deter a regression of -- the well-being of me, my family, and friends. Given that you belong to none of these groups, I have to ask, again, what's in it for me?

No veiled insults intended, just done too many surveys myself only to find myself wishing I hadn't started so designed and present mine accordingly.

I must admit I don't know what's in it for you, if I had any funding I could have offered an IPod or something but I don't. How about that you were asked and you were given the opportunity to put forward your viewpoint.
Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile

I must admit I don't know what's in it for you,... How about that you were asked and you were given the opportunity to put forward your viewpoint.
I don't need to be asked. I put forward my view point whether you want it or not.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

No

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +14/-7
    • View Profile

I could have offered an IPod or something but I don't

Pity.
My MP3 player broke last week; I really could use a new one.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo

No veiled insults intended, just done too many surveys myself only to find myself wishing I hadn't started so designed and present mine accordingly.

I must admit I don't know what's in it for you, if I had any funding I could have offered an IPod or something but I don't. How about that you were asked and you were given the opportunity to put forward your viewpoint.

:x

STOP THAT.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile

Ok, I admit I'm a sucker for MP quotes in sigs, so I'll cut some slack.

Tell you what, if you get to 15 posts without losing interest or getting banned, I'll give you a real answer.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile

Ok, I admit I'm a sucker for MP quotes in sigs, so I'll cut some slack.

<snip>

Only because you're a watery tart yourself.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile

Oh burrrrrrrrn!
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25