The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 12:13:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129555
  • Total Topics: 7152
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tiananmen Massacre  (Read 4494 times)

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
Re: Tiananmen Massacre
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 09:02:47 PM »

you're very eloquent. an i realize I'm cutting your posts down a lot, but that's for brevity's sake. don't think I'm trying to take you out of context.

Human curiosity, ingenuity and general restlessness might be more powerful than laziness.

maybe I'm just cynical. i suppose it could, if things got that bad, but I just think that people would balk at the idea of working for a future that could potentially be generations away(I would also point out that human ambition has no limits and someone would probably rise to take adventage of the whole thing.coughcoughstalincoughcough). but yeah, the only way to create a shortage-free economy (actually there really wouldn't be much of an economy at all) would be to automate it.

however, I think things are likelier to take a different route. we don't need a societal revolution to make such an economy, we need a scientific one. eventually people would get fat and lazy enough to set the whole thing up to be automated, once the technology was available.
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

12AX7

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »

you're very eloquent.

That's because he's close to brilliant; and furthermore has actually experienced it (communism), unlike nearly all of the rest of us.

I would like to point out at this time that my intention in posting the video had nothing to do with bashing or supporting communism. It had nothing to do with "communism' at all. I was simply bringing an incident of shockingly violent government suppression to attention - even if it is an aged one. To make the mistake that like incidents could never occur elsewhere in this day and age(coughcoughHEREcoughcough) is, well, a mistake.

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 09:55:49 PM »

i know. we're totally off topic, but I like this topic better.
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

12AX7

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2010, 10:37:05 PM »

i know. we're totally off topic, but I like this topic better.

Oh, I don't care; I'm just stating that now since I didn't when I posted the link. Carry on.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 02:35:51 AM »

That's because he's close to brilliant; and furthermore has actually experienced it (communism), unlike nearly all of the rest of us.

The first part of that is a blatant overstatement. I'm just old.

As for the second part -- your own experiences have taught you everything there is to know about what is good and what is evil.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.
Pages: 1 [2]