The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 09:42:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129621
  • Total Topics: 7185
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 19144 times)

The_FOO

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +61/-3
  • irc.hyperion.org:6667 #hn
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hyperion.org
Re: Smoking
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2008, 11:09:47 AM »

I was talking about the feelings which trigger wanting a cigarette i.e feelings of stress or sudden anger.

I can proudly say I have had one successful cold-turkey day, carrying 1 cigarette around with me.  8-)

Awesome. Keep it up.
http://www.errorfm.com/efm.pls
More FOOlish than you'll ever be.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2008, 12:15:51 PM »

I replaced cigarettes with Skoal Bandits for a month.

I agree. I also beleive that quitting smoking is hard because of the habbit part,moreso than the nicotine dependance part. So substitution for your cigaratte habbit definatly helps.

"Man... I could really go for a smoke... WHO WANTS A FREE BLOWJOB????"

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2008, 01:09:44 PM »

"Man... I could really go for a smoke... WHO WANTS A FREE BLOWJOB????"

That's a whole 'nother addiction, almost as hard to quit as smoking. Not that I'd know.  :w:

12AX7

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2008, 07:07:42 PM »

Not that I'd know.  :w:
About the quitting part?

Scheherazade

• Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2008, 07:27:27 PM »

About the quitting part?

No, about blowjobs in general.

:wink:

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2008, 08:03:59 PM »

No, about blowjobs in general.

:wink:

Contrary to popular belief, you're supposed to suck, not blow.

Scheherazade

• Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2008, 08:30:03 PM »

Contrary to popular belief, you're supposed to suck, not blow.

I know. Although I'm honored that you think I'm so innocent.

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2008, 08:41:56 PM »

Hehe, that wasn't directed specifically at you. Just making a (feeble) attempt at humour.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2008, 01:37:47 AM »

Wait, you're not?! Next you'll be telling me Lacerda's a d00d!

ScrollLock

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2008, 05:21:28 AM »

Annoying Newbie I trully hope you are going to read this.
I'm an ex smoker and I do not hate smoking or even mind passive smoke although it's a real pleasure having a beer in smoke free enviroment since it's against the law to smoke in all public places including pubs here.

From what I read smoking is linked with lowered risk of getting Alzheimers disease. But I did read it on internet although on several places, so this might not be true.
Smoking for me was relaxing and it did reduce stress.
But potential benefits of smoking do not outweight negative sides.
Increased risk for all kinds of cancers not jul lung cancer, than for chronical lung diseases, addiction, smell, lack of physichal fitness, heart problems etc...
Bottom line, smoking is a bad and very addictive habbit.
You will not stay on 4 cigs daily but you'll eventually build up to a pack. It's very hard or impossible to have control over addictive substances, it's just a way our brain functions. You'll have to smoke more and more to satisfy your need and if you will resist you'll feelings of being detached, a light headache and big crawing preventing you to focus on something else. That is mine experience at least it might be very different for somebody else.

There is always more nihilistic standpoint such as, being exposed to asbestos, air polution, all sorts of high frequency electromagnetic radiation, car polution, violent drivers.... chances always are that we will end up dying from something eventually. As this might be true I follow the philosophy of preventing things I can and smoking is definetly one of them.
There are much more fun ways to damage health, such as sweets and greasy food :).

I almost forgot, I didnt really find it very hard to quit but I did not lack willpower and I was very active in sports at that time. Abstinential crissis lasted about two weeks but I had problems several months, the biggest being what to do with my hands :).

To conclude there are no real advantage to actually start smoking, consider starting swimming instead. Hope my answer helped you to decide.

Sorry for my bad gramma, I'm not native english speaker.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2008, 11:52:47 AM »

Sorry for my bad gramma, I'm not native english speaker.

Due to the language barrier I too often have trouble defending my errant grandparents. They get up to such mischief!

ScrollLock

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2008, 01:09:12 PM »

I wouldnt say I really have a language barrier :), it's just that native language is the only one that feels natural and I'm way to lazy to check with aspel :).
I got carried aways since all people I know are actually quitting smoking nobody is seriously considering picking it up :).

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2008, 02:11:59 PM »

Nobody thinks about picking up a habit like smoking.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

ScrollLock

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2008, 01:00:32 AM »

I have just installed English dictionary for firefox, it seems to be doing a great job for now. Anyway reading and writing about smoking makes me wish I could light one so I better stop :).

LuciferSam

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +122/-122
  • ástellaþ: ("hálette eormengrund!")
    • View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2009, 12:03:07 AM »

Apologies in advance for the threadomancy. It is not my usual bag. In this instance, however, I can not be helped.

Also, that 250k cigarette figure is malarkey. It doesn't take anywhere near that much to cause lung cancer. I belonged to my high school's REBEL chapter (Reaching Everyone By Exposing Lies, a group whose purpose it is to protect teens from the lies of big tobacco) and we had a guest speaker, twenty years old, who had smoked a pack a week for two years and got lung cancer.

I'm going to have to call some bollocks on this speaker of yours, and really on your whole high school group in general if you don't mind. There is absolutely no reasonable way to pin his lung cancer on two years of smoking alone - that sounds like dangerous levels of anti-smoking propaganda, to me, dangerously directed at impressionable and damned annoying young folk.

This line of reasoning is not only silly, it's dangerous to any responsable cancer-awareness platform: smoking is not the only cause of lung cancer, and is likely{*1} not among the top three risk factors in modern time - many independently funded studies have shown a trended increase in lung cancer rates even as smoking has decreased in popularity. This has included a dramatic increase in Asian countries with a formerly high smoking average, and moves concurently with rising industrial emissions and dietary habits in particular.

Ihatecliches, in particular - I realize that the youth of this day and age are swayed in their priorities from my own roots, and I realize of course that you're no longer in high school, but I would implore you merely as a human to consider that the PR machine behind "big tobacco" is nowhere near the size, budget, and level of danger that surrounds the pharmaceutical industry of our modern world - who stand to benefit enormously from the medical side of smoking cessation programs, and the brand loyalty in consumers that comes from happy, anti smoking ads. Agriculture and leisure are American legacies, over medication is an American infection.

Draw what conclusions you may of my bias, but I am a near 50-year smoker. My consumption varies with time, temperature, and desire, but I consume an average of 3 cigars a day, between a half and two packets of (good, generally additive free) cigarettes which are generally sans filtre, and a decidedly constant bowl of pipe tobacco. In those 50 years, my health has been generally good{*2} as a result of a decent diet, forced physical activity, and that best medicine which is HECTARing. I can personally attest to the preventative uses of nicotine as a natural medicine, as well - I have a long family history of Alzheimers, and approximately two years ago began a light aricept treatment to counteract what my physician concluded were possible early warning signs. I have, as of last week, been told to stop the aricept treatment, as my symptoms had largely diminished and certainly not progressed - a rare and happy occaision in the mystery that is genetic neuromedicine, I am told. Can I credit that to nicotine with scientific authority? Of course not. But, I can tell you that I am the first in many maternal generations to bridge sixty without any substantial sign of development, and the only fairly constant nicotine user in my maternal lineage that I can identify. Take it as you will.

To the original poster, who may or may no longer frequent this forum, I can only offer the following advice - you have one life. It may or may not be a long one. Live it the way you want to.

{*1} - Luci is not a medical researcher or statistician, but he does have one asset that is slipping from public awareness of late - that of common sense.
{*2} - Luci doesn't have plastic tubes hanging off him, breathes just fine thank you, has shiny whitish teeth, a beautiful mane (excepting the top of his head), actively enjoys losing at tennis, and is able of enough physical anger to assure that his golf handicap is always above 18 thank you very much.

• Q: What is green and homeomorphic to the open unit interval? A: The real lime!

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2009, 09:08:14 AM »

We just had an argument about this not too long ago prior to my biology class starting for the evening. The older guy - who looks to be about 40 - stated and argued that smoking has no adverse effects to your health what-so-ever. He also continued to say that everyone reacts differently to smoking. Some develop lung cancer at an early age, some at a late age, and some never at all.

I agree with him on the fact that smoking isn't a death sentence for everyone who partakes in the activity. Some people manage to go 50 years without traces of any type of cancer, while others manage to develop lung cancer after just ten years of smoking. To me, this is something that we should look into. Perhaps it is those people who go on for several decades in a row smoking more than a pack a day carry the cure for cancer.

On the other hand, I disagree with the fact that smoking doesn't pose a risk to your vascular and cardiovascular systems. I highly doubt that someone who has been smoking for many years could complete the same physical tasks that a non-smoker of the same age and same stature could complete. Though I understand that there will be instances where this isn't always true, but wholistically speaking, the data would more than likely support my assumptions that smoking is detrimental to your vascular and cardiovascular systems by means of making them less efficient than normal.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2009, 09:37:16 AM »

He looked forty, but he was actually 22.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

WickedWizard

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +9/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2009, 09:58:15 AM »

I smoke Black & Milds, but you don't smoke those like a regular pack of cigs. I only ever (On a stressfull day no less) smoke maybe 3 a day. Ilke right now, I'm at work and my first break is comming up, so I have either ten minutes to smoke a half of one, but I wont, because if I don't I wont wanna smoke one after lunch and thats when I usually smoke mine. I also smoke copius amounts of weed, and after a nice sesh I smoke one.

Smoking the little bit that I do makes me a better person subatomicly, while negating the negatives for the long term, it puts me inot a clear mind set so that I can solve problems more effectivly. I get much more done if I have that smoke. Effectivally re-wiring my mind.

I still look 23 aswell.
The Characters and incidents portrayed and the names used
are fictitious and any similarity to the names, characters,
or history of any person is entirely accidental and
unintentional.
                        Signed RICHARD M. NIXON

diermalfunction

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2009, 11:33:50 AM »

I am 17 and I smoke occasionally. I'm aware of the dangers and effects smoking can cause. I have a couple of questions about it however..
1) I was wondering if there are actual pros to smoking rather than millions and millions of cons.
2) Does rolling your own cigs even if unfiltered healthier?
3) I would estimate that around 250,000 (35 years at a pack a day) is where lung disease starts to become likely. So would 1-4 a day be alright?
5) I believe in mind over matter and so i think I could stop smoking whenever i would like. I know that everyone who does smoke says something along those lines. How hard is it though?

So to start Smoking (cigs) is one of the worst things you can do. However, there are a couple of pros. To start cigs are a stimulant so they speed up your metabolism and do make you loose wait, but if you don't work out you will loose muscle as well. In addition, until you get used to it, you get a slight heady high, but to be honest these are the only 2 pros I have ever heard of if you can call them pros.

Next, Yes, Rolling your own cigs is healthier. When you smoke with a fillter you are Separating one molecule of oxygen from the CO2 making it a much more lethal element, Carbon monoxide, but keep in mind that if your lungs get used to smoking like this and start smoking say a pack a day of unfiltered smokes, you will die much faster.

Lung disease and cancer are unpredictable, each person is different and there is no way to calculate your leeway, hell some people smoke all their lives and are fine, but the majority have bad problems including a nasty smokers cough, not to mention you smell like s#&& where ever you go.

Dude smoking is addicting there is no doubt about it. At 17 there aren't many things you can get addicted to, but I will tell you this much, it takes a lot of will power to quit cold turkey, and to be honest at your age, you may have an idea how strong your will power is, but you may underestimate how much you need to quit smoking.

Chillin In The 303,

-Wil

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2009, 11:55:37 AM »

So to start Smoking (cigs) is one of the worst things you can do. However, there are a couple of pros. To start cigs are a stimulant so they speed up your metabolism and do make you loose wait, but if you don't work out you will loose muscle as well. In addition, until you get used to it, you get a slight heady high, but to be honest these are the only 2 pros I have ever heard of if you can call them pros.
Emphasis mine (and ignoring the spelling mistakes)

You lose your virginity and then your vagina become loose.

Slight difference in meaning there.
--this space intentionally left blank--

diermalfunction

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2009, 12:57:01 PM »

Emphasis mine (and ignoring the spelling mistakes)

You lose your virginity and then your vagina become loose.

Slight difference in meaning there.

LoL sry my spelling sucks, ty for pointing that out I'm trying to get better bout that.

BTW, just to add to my last post, Soking Ganj is a much better habit man, I'm not saying you should do it but if you have a choice ganj is the way to go. Mary Jane's been my best friend for a while.
Chillin In The 303,

-Wil

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »

. . . At 17 there aren't many things you can get addicted to, . . .

Sarcasm, right?

. . .BTW, just to add to my last post, Soking Ganj is a much better habit man . . .

Also, please explain this one.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2009, 01:12:42 PM »

LoL sry my spelling sucks

Mary Jane's been my best friend for a while.

No correlation here, folks. Move along.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2009, 06:04:44 PM »

Wait.... correlation != causality?

:?

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2009, 06:06:08 PM »

Wait.... correlation != causality?

:?

Well, I smoked a bit when I was younger and I turned out just finOHGODSTOPWHILEYOUCAN
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 06:11:04 PM by Demosthenes »
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4