The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 07:56:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129621
  • Total Topics: 7185
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 19143 times)

L

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-5
  • L
    • View Profile
Smoking
« on: June 18, 2008, 06:32:13 PM »

I am 17 and I smoke occasionally. I'm aware of the dangers and effects smoking can cause. I have a couple of questions about it however..
1) I was wondering if there are actual pros to smoking rather than millions and millions of cons.
2) Does rolling your own cigs even if unfiltered healthier?
3) I would estimate that around 250,000 (35 years at a pack a day) is where lung disease starts to become likely. So would 1-4 a day be alright?
4) Is it true only 3 or 4 cigarettes will kill you if you eat them at the same time?
5) I believe in mind over matter and so i think I could stop smoking whenever i would like. I know that everyone who does smoke says something along those lines. How hard is it though?
6)Why is smoking so socially appealing to so many people?

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 06:50:45 PM »

Ineresting topic.
1) As for pros of smoking, sure.  There are some.  http://www.forces.org/evidence/evid/therap.htm
2) Does it healthier?  I can't stolen.
C) On what do you base the 250K number? 
IV: www.snopes.com
V] If you believe in mind over matter, why not just believe that you can't get cancer from smoking and then keep on lighting up?
6) The chicks dig it.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

12AX7

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 07:59:03 PM »

Mold?

L

• Annoying Newbie
  • L
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 08:00:21 PM »

Inst smoking pot the equivalent to 3 cigarettes?

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 08:14:16 PM »

Inst smoking pot the equivalent to 3 cigarettes?

Uh... where did you hear this?

It's apples to oranges. Two different plants, two different drugs, two different effects. You can't compare them to each other. Except... the fact that both will tar up your lungs, because both involve inhaling smoke. Inhaling smoke, any smoke from anything, will screw with your body. Inhaling smoke from incense to burning charcoals, it doesn't matter, it's fucking smoke. Smoke is smoke.

5) I believe in mind over matter and so i think I could stop smoking whenever i would like. I know that everyone who does smoke says something along those lines. How hard is it though?

I don't smoke so I've never tried to quit, but I have had to quit an addiction before. I would equate it to Chinese Water Torture.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +119/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 08:39:05 PM »

oh my god, i want a cigarette. so. fucking. badly.

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: the only proof that he needed for the existence of God was music." -kurt vonnegut

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 09:21:55 PM »

Oh hell no. We are not starting a "Why pot should be legal / why pot is good for you" thread here.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 10:20:31 PM »

Oh hell no. We are not starting a "Why pot should be legal / why pot is good for you" thread here.

I wasn't. I was under the impression we were discussing tobacco not cannabis.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike

livingeek

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +3/-4
    • View Profile
    • LivinGeek
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 10:51:34 PM »

Dude smoking is hard as hell to stop.  I was like you smoking a few a day when i was 17 then it turned into a pack a day after a year.  After that I attempted on seven different occasions to quit.  This attempt has lasted the longest so far at 1.5 months.  I feel like I lost a part of my soul, but know that it is better for me in the long run.  Now I really want a cig, damnit. 

Don't know about the 250k thing you stated.  Smoking is bad for you even a little.  You can find stats on it that your lungs begin to heal 8 hours after a cigarette.  Takes two months for your lungs to gain back their full capacity for holding air.  Supposedly quitting before you are 25 is supposed to allow your lungs to heal enough to that of a non smoker for later in life.  Oh and also I hear smoking and drinking at the same time is the worst to you.  Supposedly you are absorbing more of the cancer causing substances while drinking.  Sucks cause that's when a cig is the best. 

On a side note, I got a lung infection after smoking.  Doctor correlated it to my stopping smoking and my immune system dropping from the withdrawls.  I asked him point blank if I had kept smoking if I wouldn't have this lung infection now and I would be healthier.  He smiled said, "I wouldn't put smoking into that light."  Sounded like he was basically saying yes from his tone and body language.  Kinda humorous to me although I'm still happy I quit. 

L

• Annoying Newbie
  • L
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 11:31:15 PM »

thanks a ton.

I don't smoke so I've never tried to quit, but I have had to quit an addiction before. I would equate it to Chinese Water Torture.

What were you addicted to? If, of course, you don't mind me asking...

Uh... where did you hear this?

It's apples to oranges. Two different plants, two different drugs, two different effects.

I remember when i was younger watching an ad on tv of this guy cutting open 3 cigs and rolling them up and smoking it. Then the narrator said the pot was the equivalent.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 11:36:22 PM »

I remember when i was younger watching an ad on tv of this guy cutting open 3 cigs and rolling them up and smoking it. Then the narrator said the pot was the equivalent.

Yes. Because everything you see on TV is reliable. Especially ads backed by companies who stand to profit from your gullibility. Smoke is smoke.

I'm a recovering perscription drug addict.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:40:20 PM by Wunderkind »

12AX7

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 11:58:34 PM »

Heh. Smoke IS smoke. Regardless of what/how many/how often/ how much; if you smoke, be prepared for being regarded as a NASTY, STINKING person, even if no one actually tells you. Your clothes stink, your hair stinks, your car stinks, your breath stinks, your kisses aren't desirable, your fingers even stink, for crying out loud. And that's just the start.
  You won't realize it until it's waay too late, but the strength in your breath/lungs will be cut drastically; resulting in you being the wheezing, coughing, gagging, stinky puke that everyone is embarrassed to be jogging with since you have to stop every so often. (AND you stink)
  Plus, you can look forward to massive attacks of heartburn (yes; smoking exacerbates heartburn and ulcers - which you may get if you don't alreay have them starting.)
  If all that isn't enough; take a picture of your teeth. Wait three days. Take another picture and compare the two. Yuck. Nasty. Have any idea how often you have to brush to keep them at least sorta kinda not totally brown? More than twice a day; with "whitening" toothpaste. Or Topol - smoker's toothpaste (wait till your date sees THAT in your medicine cabinet. Yeh; you'll look really cool then.)
  How do I know all this? I smoke. Over a pack a day/cigarettes; and a lot of other stuffs too. So believe me, please. Stop now.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 01:41:01 AM »

This all sounds like sage advice. Kick the nic'.

sociald1077

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +129/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 01:58:48 AM »

I wont date girls that smoke. And I find it hard to date girls that toke up. Like 12 said, it makes you stink. And since I don't do either, I can smell it a mile away.
"Guns don't kill people! PHYSICS kill people!" - Dick Soloman

12AX7

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 02:11:50 AM »

And since I don't do either, I can smell it a mile away.
That's the thing; people who DO smoke forget that their sense of smell is dulled in addition to being used to the funk anyway. So they don't realize (or really believe) how bad they actually stink- especially to someone who doesn't have a deteriorated olfactory system.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 11:28:31 AM »

If you must ask these questions, you are not at peace with smoking. If you are not at peace with smoking, it will cause many problems for you. I continued smoking long past the point where I ceased to be at peace with it, and it caused many problems.

The most difficult part of addiction is the sense of identity the addict derives from his habit. I thought of myself as a smoker long after I quit. It is what made quitting difficult. It is also what led me to become a smoker again years later. Quitting the second time was significantly harder, because I realized I had to become a non-smoker inside my head. I had to see myself as a different person, and become that person, or I would never leave it behind me.

Anyone who has kicked an addiction is diminished. You have to kill and bury a chunk of yourself so the rest of you can continue on. That's why not starting is the ideal option.

Your youth and inexperience are conspiring to fool you into thinking that you can discover a new, safe and consequence-free way of using tobacco that has somehow eluded billions of smokers before you. Good luck with that.

"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 04:47:17 PM »

Anyone who has kicked an addiction is diminished. You have to kill and bury a chunk of yourself so the rest of you can continue on. That's why not starting is the ideal option.

Your youth and inexperience are conspiring to fool you into thinking that you can discover a new, safe and consequence-free way of using tobacco that has somehow eluded billions of smokers before you. Good luck with that.

I just felt this needed to be repeated.

AppleJax

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »

I don't smoke; aside from the occasional Hookah - So I can’t personally say anything about it

However I was listening to NPR the other day, and I heard an author, David Sedaris talking about his new book, "When You Are Engulfed in Flames" which is a collection of personal essays. He read an excerpt from one of his essays in the book that concerned his smoking habit, which I was reminded of when I read your post.

He described how he LOVED to smoke and that he never really believed that anything bad could happen to him because it. He said that he finally quit because the Ritz Carlton got rid of their smoker friendly rooms.

I don’t really think that it is something that is really for/against smoking, but rather a description of his experience with it.

You should check it out, you might identify with what he has to say. Sedaris is also hilarious!

livingeek

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
    • LivinGeek
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 01:41:27 PM »

That's the thing; people who DO smoke forget that their sense of smell is dulled in addition to being used to the funk anyway. So they don't realize (or really believe) how bad they actually stink- especially to someone who doesn't have a deteriorated olfactory system.

It's funny when I was a smoker I wanted a cigarette every time I walked past a smoke break area.  Now if I have to walk through that area I hold my breath because the smell makes me want to vomit. 

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »

When I lived in New Jersey there didn't seem to be a plethora of people that smoked. That doesn't mean there weren't any smokers; there were. However, here in Pennsylvania where the price of a pack isn't something like 6 dollars it seems like almost everyone is a smoker.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 02:12:40 PM »

I don't smoke; aside from the occasional Hookah

I'm hooked on hookah.

My girlfriend smokes and it creates a funny situation due to the fact that I can smell / taste it when I am with her. It's like when you have a lady / guy friend who only wears one scent and whenever you smell that scent you are reminded of him or her. I've found I start thinking about her when I catch a whiff of the stuff.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 02:37:36 PM »

It's funny when I was a smoker I wanted a cigarette every time I walked past a smoke break area.  Now if I have to walk through that area I hold my breath because the smell makes me want to vomit. 

Kind of related story here: Back when I was a bench tech working at The Pit, you could always tell what computers belonged to a family of heavy smokers. The cases were more yellow than the usual fading and if you ever opened one up, the stench of nicotene would probably knock you out cold. I hated working on those things. One time I decided to give one of these machines an entire scrub down. Took it apart, blasted all the internal bits with a healthy dose of compressed air and scrubbed the living hell out of the chassis. The yellow slowly went away and a glorious Compaq Beige color was restored. Even the CD-ROM and floppy were cleaned up of just layers of built up residule. It was gross.

The owners didn't even notice.  :|
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

livingeek

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
    • LivinGeek
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 03:59:38 PM »

Kind of related story here: Back when I was a bench tech working at The Pit, you could always tell what computers belonged to a family of heavy smokers. The cases were more yellow than the usual fading and if you ever opened one up, the stench of nicotene would probably knock you out cold. I hated working on those things. One time I decided to give one of these machines an entire scrub down. Took it apart, blasted all the internal bits with a healthy dose of compressed air and scrubbed the living hell out of the chassis. The yellow slowly went away and a glorious Compaq Beige color was restored. Even the CD-ROM and floppy were cleaned up of just layers of built up residule. It was gross.

The owners didn't even notice.  :|

That is pretty gross.  The sad part is in a house of smokers the electronics suffer the most.  Nothing good can come from smoking inside with your electronics. 

edit:  That goes double for children. 

12AX7

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 04:07:57 PM »

Nothing good can come from smoking inside with your electronics. 
I beg to disagree. A lot of today's most popular music was created and captured in
a smoky, electronics filled room. To the detriment of the equipment, yes; but I'm just saying..

Stitch

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +19/-38
  • What that smell like?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 06:30:15 PM »

I beg to disagree. A lot of today's most popular music was created and captured in
a smoky, electronics filled room. To the detriment of the equipment, yes; but I'm just saying..
Concur.
All of my electronics are in one room, where I spend all of my time home. Yes, I smoke, and have for about 8 years, and my nosehair clipper-crap is fine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4