The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 02:49:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 148
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Another new geek...  (Read 5799 times)

enderwiggin.1337

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-4
    • View Profile
Another new geek...
« on: September 04, 2006, 10:35:17 PM »

Hi all. Name is Gus and I'm your typical geek interested in everything from gaming to new hardware etc...

I actually found this forum hoping that you could answer a question of mine.

A few years ago I had started using this program that allowed you to specify interestes such as gaming / sports /weather / whatever, and then choose preferred media like movies / pictures / flash / sound clips / etc... and it would automatically download stuff that fit that category. It also allowed you to rate the content and to upload your own content. I had a disk wipe about a month afterward and I could not and still cannot remember for the life of me the name of that program. I remember it being relatively popular at the time too. If anyone has suggestions please reply back. I look forward to spending more time here. Thank you and have a good one.  :-)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 10:47:48 PM by enderwiggin.1337 »

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Re: Another new geek...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 10:41:35 PM »

I've never heard of such a program that downloads items 'automatically'. Sounds interesting, though. Good luck in finding it.

Oh, and welcome to The Geekery!  :-D

mzombie

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +2/-8
  • I'm nucking futs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 06:50:48 AM »

Unfortunately, I have never heard of such a program. I'll ask around though ^_^

Welcome, to the Geekery!

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 10:18:31 AM »

Welcome, mate. Enjoy your stay on teh Geekery.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 12:19:11 PM »

Sounds like you had a trojan. 

enderwiggin.1337

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 03:26:39 PM »

Sounds like you had a trojan. 

HAHA! Hardly... my BSD Firewall usually does a fair job of keeping those out...

...assuming I don't do something stupid.

12AX7

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 04:47:15 PM »

I heard it, too.

enderwiggin.1337

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 06:21:58 AM »

I heard it, too.

It wasn't a trojan.

12AX7

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 06:23:55 AM »

Sure sounded like one to me. And to PB.

enderwiggin.1337

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 05:43:44 PM »

Well there's always someone on every forum that thinks they have ESP (Extra Sensory Perception for those of you who think everything is a trojan), or merely feel like harrassing the newb, and inevitably know exactly what is wrong with a person's computer - even if they didn't say their computer was having a problem - without having ever actually sat down in front of the keyboard or had a remote session; these indications are often indicative of such people that need to automatically get into an argument with a newb on the forum because the have a deep DEEP sense of insecurity and cannot settle for simply getting along with and having a normal, civilized conversation and perhaps trying to help out the newb who felt this forum just might be able to help them with his search of lost / forgotten software. No, this would be unheard of! Instead they must push their arrogant and inwardly insecure selves onto the newb to try to scare them away or let them know who the real boss is, for fear that one day a newb might come on and threaten their fragile egos.

How about this. If you don't have something useful to say pertaining to the original topic of this forum (which in case you were wondering was a search for software that I have already assured you wasn't a trojan), then mark it as "off topic" or PM me; this way my time will not be wasted after seeing a new post by you trying to make yourself feel better and more secure by putting me down.

If I am not welcome on this forum, then go ahead and have a mod tell me and I will leave you to your insecure and pathetic excuse of a life. Otherwise, get off my butt!

P.S. - For your own enlightenment why don't you actually look up the definition of a trojan - not the condom, in case you were confused - because there is no way the program i decribed could have possibly been one. The only remote possibility would have been that a trojan would have piggybacked with that program.

P.P.S. - Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics. Even if you win, "You're still retarded". So don't bother responding unless you actually want to be helpful - not boost your own ego.

I don't like bullies. I never have, and I don't put up with their stupidity. So next time, try listening to someone when - odds are - they have a better working knowlege of the situation than you do.

12AX7

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 06:46:19 PM »

P.P.S. - Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics. Even if you win, "You're still retarded".
AHAHAHAHA!!!!!  Sweet. I'm glad you posted that; right after you posted all this:

Well there's always someone on every forum that thinks they have ESP (Extra Sensory Perception for those of you who think everything is a trojan), or merely feel like harrassing the newb, and inevitably know exactly what is wrong with a person's computer - even if they didn't say their computer was having a problem - without having ever actually sat down in front of the keyboard or had a remote session; these indications are often indicative of such people that need to automatically get into an argument with a newb on the forum because the have a deep DEEP sense of insecurity and cannot settle for simply getting along with and having a normal, civilized conversation and perhaps trying to help out the newb who felt this forum just might be able to help them with his search of lost / forgotten software. No, this would be unheard of! Instead they must push their arrogant and inwardly insecure selves onto the newb to try to scare them away or let them know who the real boss is, for fear that one day a newb might come on and threaten their fragile egos.

How about this. If you don't have something useful to say pertaining to the original topic of this forum (which in case you were wondering was a search for software that I have already assured you wasn't a trojan), then mark it as "off topic" or PM me; this way my time will not be wasted after seeing a new post by you trying to make yourself feel better and more secure by putting me down.

If I am not welcome on this forum, then go ahead and have a mod tell me and I will leave you to your insecure and pathetic excuse of a life. Otherwise, get off my butt!

P.S. - For your own enlightenment why don't you actually look up the definition of a trojan - not the condom, in case you were confused - because there is no way the program i decribed could have possibly been one. The only remote possibility would have been that a trojan would have piggybacked with that program.

P.P.S. - Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics. Even if you win, "You're still retarded". So don't bother responding unless you actually want to be helpful - not boost your own ego.

I don't like bullies. I never have, and I don't put up with their stupidity. So next time, try listening to someone when - odds are - they have a better working knowlege of the situation than you do.

Jeezus Christ, dude. Get a fricken life. You take everyone's comments so seriously? Do you ALWAYS assume someone is arguing with you? Now, see, THAT is a symptom of insecurity. So is typing out a full page argument to someone who wasn't even arguing with you to start with; and ending it by using the "arguing on the internet" cliche.
 Also, humor appeals to the intellect; drama to the emotion. No wonder you didn't get the joke. Get it now? "Sounded" ? "Heard"? "sounded like"? ( you DO know you can't actually "hear" trojans, right?)
 I dont think you will be welcome here, if you are so quick to look for a fight (on the internet even ...AHAHAHA!!) and not quite bright enough to get the humor.   

enderwiggin.1337

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 07:17:52 PM »

I just like to lay things to rest before they start, and I've had plenty of experience with horrible people in forums before of just the type of nature I described.

mzombie

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +2/-8
  • I'm nucking futs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 07:24:21 PM »

No offense enderwiggin but I think you're all ready making it worse....  :|

12AX7

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 09:17:34 PM »

I've had plenty of experience with horrible people in forums before
Yeh, well, it's no wonder...

morons.inc

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-24
  • JUNE, I want my life back, JUNE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 12:52:30 AM »

*raises his beer and looks around* ummm beer anyone?
emotionally unstable and mentally challeneged

12AX7

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 01:03:33 AM »

I'll have two, pleasethankyas.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 06:42:37 AM »

and inevitably know exactly what is wrong with a person's computer

Well after I read that post, I just had to reply with the follwoing comment:

Dude, I think I know what's wrong with your computer: It's operated by an idiot! OMFGLOL!!!111

Now, that was a joke in case the "OMFGLOL!!11" didn't give it away. I'm sorry you feel like you were mistreated somehow, but you'll need to take a chill pill. People like to joke around a lot on these boards and if all it took to rock your boat was a few posts about trojans, well I'm sorry to say that you just won't fit in here. You can make a long friggin post about internet bullying, which I assure you this wasn't, and start accusing people you don't even know about being insecure, refering to their stupidity, and so on, but that doesn't fly with me. I don't have time to babysit you so if you can't be resonable, I'll show you the door. I don't like drama queens.

Well... except Xolik

*runs*

See? We joke around all the time!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 06:45:00 AM by TheJudge »

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 10:23:31 PM »

ONOZ I'm so insecure :lol:

Big Orange Cat

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +69/-2
  • pwned
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Depot.
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 02:47:42 AM »

I don't even see how suggesting you have a trojan could be perceived as an attack, dude. A trojan is defined as "a malicious program that is disguised as or embedded within legitimate software." If you got the program off the internet and you're running WindBlowz, that's something any PC user should have a legitimate concern about.

Bullshit is one thing when I have to listen to it, but when I have to actually PERPETUATE it, like some fecalesque memetophenomenological VIRUS, that really pisses me off. -- Agent_Tachyon

morons.inc

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-24
  • JUNE, I want my life back, JUNE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2006, 05:48:23 PM »

:slap :slap :slap
all the time :roll:
emotionally unstable and mentally challeneged

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 09:55:31 AM »

The Ender Wiggin I knew wouldn't be so hypersensitive to people poking a little fun.

Also, he would have read some of this forum before expecting any serious tech-related help from a bunch of smartassed users who really couldn't care less.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 03:24:23 PM »

The Ender Wiggin I knew wouldn't be so hypersensitive to people poking a little fun.

Also, he would have read some of this forum before expecting any serious tech-related help from a bunch of smartassed users who really couldn't care less.

That's just not true Demo

I for one could care less
--this space intentionally left blank--

12AX7

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 05:33:09 PM »

Make that two. Plus, my ass isn't really that smart. It just kinda sits there...

12AX7

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 07:09:59 AM »

Did you actually know him, Demo? Online, I mean? Well, he's welcome back as far as I'm concerned; either way. He seemed to be ok; just had a misunderstanding. We all do that. Eh well...
Just thought I'd put that out there.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 10:34:55 AM »

Did you actually know him, Demo? Online, I mean? Well, he's welcome back as far as I'm concerned; either way. He seemed to be ok; just had a misunderstanding. We all do that. Eh well...
Just thought I'd put that out there.

He got whiny and angsty after he left for parts unknown.  If he came back I'd punch him in the mouth for being such a boring pain in the ass.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001
Pages: [1] 2