The Geek Forum

• May 20, 2024, 03:04:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129646
  • Total Topics: 7193
  • Online Today: 88
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: My Introduction  (Read 2641 times)

skybucket

My Introduction
« on: August 04, 2009, 09:54:07 AM »

Hello everyone.  I decided to join your Forum as I am referred to constantly as a Nerd or a Geek.  I spend a lot of time online and with my computer, which by the way, has a high probability of kicking your computer's ass and outperforming it in every way.

I am a Fan of SMF myself and run other forums (Mostly for my inept friends) and use the SMF quite a bit.  Love the mods available for it.  I am a web designer by trade, not a very glamorous job but it pays the bills.  I am one of those guys who gets really irritated when someone at work comes up to me and says "My computer is broken.  It says No video input on the screen".  That is when I either slay them with an over the top barrage of sarcasm or, simply tell them to hit the BIG ROUND POWER Button on the PC.  Yeah, that would be the Big Box next to the monitor.

Anyway, Love your forum here.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Re: My Introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 09:55:41 AM »

My favourite end user is the one who, when instructed to reboot their computer, simply power cycles their monitor.

Welcome, geek.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

skybucket

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 10:14:50 AM »

Thank you for the Welcome!   :-D  How about the end user who when instructed to type and address in the address bar, types it in the search bar and throws a fit of frustration because "That annoying page with all of the links came up again"?   :lol:

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:18:23 AM »

Thank you for the Welcome!   :-D  How about the end user who when instructed to type and address in the address bar, types it in the search bar and throws a fit of frustration because "That annoying page with all of the links came up again"?   :lol:

Actually, that is alarmingly common among the "normals", apparently.  My wife is the web manager for a publishing company, and she says that among Google search results that lead to their company website, the #1 search term is consistently the URL for their website, by a huge margin.   :roll:

I've actually had many, many instances where I've told someone whose session I'm remote controlling via RDP or Citrix "okay, now go to www.somesite.com" and then watched as they pulled up a browser and put that URL in the search bar of whatever their homepage was (usually MSN.com).  When I tell them "no, just put that in the address bar", they honestly don't know what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:19:55 AM by Demosthenes »

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

mryellow

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +22/-5
  • "Embrace your inner geekiness"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 12:17:13 PM »

A while back Google, hoping to tell people about Google Chrome, did a survey in New York. Turns out it was hopeless, since most people have absolutely no idea what a browser is (75% if I recall correctly). When asked, they use Google. Google is that blue shiny thing they use to "get on the internet and find stuff".

To be fair, if Google is your homepage, it will steal the focus and even if you intended to type something in the address bar, you'd end up typing a URL in Google. This even happens to me so damn often that I would like to think people aren't nearly as dumb as search statistics make them appear. Also, if on top of that you have the Google toolbar, then for regular folks, there's a 3 to 1 change that you hit the wrong input field ;)
... you're missing the point! The individual doesn't matter. It was a team effort, and I was the one who came up with the whole team idea... ME!

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 05:26:18 PM »

Despite your tendency to revive dead threads, Welcome!
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

skybucket

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 09:30:50 PM »

Heh, what can I say?  No thread is dead if I am around!   :-P  Or unless a Mod locks it!  LOL.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 10:00:56 PM »

A while back Google, hoping to tell people about Google Chrome, did a survey in New York. Turns out it was hopeless, since most people have absolutely no idea what a browser is (75% if I recall correctly). When asked, they use Google. Google is that blue shiny thing they use to "get on the internet and find stuff".

To be fair, if Google is your homepage, it will steal the focus and even if you intended to type something in the address bar, you'd end up typing a URL in Google. This even happens to me so damn often that I would like to think people aren't nearly as dumb as search statistics make them appear. Also, if on top of that you have the Google toolbar, then for regular folks, there's a 3 to 1 change that you hit the wrong input field ;)

What's good about Chrome is that the address bar doubles as the search bar. I've been using Chrome since it came out and I love it. It makes it look like IE is standing still when it comes to rendering pages.

skybucket

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 10:36:47 PM »

I have to say, I have not even downloaded Chrome yet.   :-(  I suppose being in the Web "Design" field, I really should finally download it and add it to my cluster of browsers that I test sites in.  I am excited to hear how speedy it is, that is what has my interest really.

But <sigh>, another browser to use to tweek my designs in.  GAH!!

mryellow

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +22/-5
  • "Embrace your inner geekiness"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 11:18:17 AM »

I also love Chrome, I've even got an early alpha-version running on Ubuntu. I do wish Chrome would look like a regular application (I am no fan of the hellish blue), but other than that... lightningly fast launch, incredibly speedy rendering... I love it too! I still use Firefox a lot due to its many extensions that I just can't do without, but Chrome comes in a close second and I use it more often every week.
... you're missing the point! The individual doesn't matter. It was a team effort, and I was the one who came up with the whole team idea... ME!

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 11:29:56 AM »

I won't use Chrome but for a silly reason. Google is getting too big for my liking. They're getting their fingers in every pie they can find. Not good.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

12AX7

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 03:50:48 PM »

So is it "sk EYE bucket" , or "sk EEE bucket" ?

skybucket

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 05:50:15 PM »

Its Sky (EYE) Bucket.  Nickname i picked up as a child.  Never forgot about it.  This is actually the first time I have ever used it online as an alias.  Heh.   :-P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 10:57:08 PM by skybucket »

New2This

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-1
  • Pic drawn by my daughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 08:03:24 PM »

Loved the comment on the user power cycling their monitor.

Back a few years , when I worked at a help desk for a software company that still had a lot of mainframe users, I remember taking a call from a client who could not understand why she lost her connection... after  the standard checks I walked her though I sent her under her desk, she said hold on she needed to find a flashlight becuase so she could see since the power was out.   I am usually pretty good with even the lowest caliber of user,  but I burst out laughing and said to her "you have to be kidding me".

I also remember teaching them (over the phone) how to click a mouse when we converted them to windows.... it was very very painful for some of the blue haired ladies.
Right beneath failure there is an opportunity to learn something.