The Geek Forum

• May 18, 2024, 03:58:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129642
  • Total Topics: 7190
  • Online Today: 107
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Sorry, Gillvray...  (Read 1875 times)

Rico

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +24/-7
    • View Profile
Sorry, Gillvray...
« on: September 23, 2004, 08:38:40 PM »

I was busy this week and didn't get in to see the fire fight.

That really blew up fast, and got out of control.  I'm not sure that banning Gillivray was the right thing to do, though.  Why not just lock the thread and call it good.  He certainly wasn't the only one being insulting.  Law, and I both said some pretty inflammatory things, and I think there's plenty of blame to go around.

Topics concerning religion always run the risk of getting heated.  Faith is a powerful, and motivating thing, no matter what, or who, it's in.  Gillivray may not hold to any religion, but he's still fallen victim to hate.  It's hard to kill people sometimes, unless you can alienate them and make them less than human.  Does that make it right?  Of course not.  I'm only pointing out that his motivation is no less driving than those of us who do believe in God.  He has strong feelings, and we shouldn't turn our back on them because one topic got off course.

Law is a good man, and he's a regular, but that doesn't mean that he's any less at fault here than Gillivray.  Maybe I should be banned, too.  After all, I was pretty upset and said some hard things in that thread.  For me, it actually started out as simply wanting to say I found it disrespectful, but Demo is the master at drawing me into arguements.

Anyway, I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but consider unbanning Gillivray.  That arguement was as much my fault as his.
Magnus frater spectat te - Big Brother is watching you

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Sorry, Gillvray...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 09:14:07 PM »

You weren't throwing around racial and ethnic slurs.

His banning had everything to do with him being a racist ignoramus.

Rico

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +24/-7
    • View Profile
Sorry, Gillvray...
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 11:49:12 PM »

Actually, he wasn't throwing around slurs either.  He just pointed out that all the muslim folks he'd met so far were anti-American.  He was a little crude about it.  He also pointed out that he thought all Islamic people were suspect.  That's not really true, of course, but as some one that doesn't know as much about that religion as maybe Law, I can see how people might think that way.

Instead of being so insulting, a little education might have been in order.  A lot of people are still angry over 9/11, and hatred is a sad product of that anger.  Correcting misconceptions is the only way to really fix that.  Law's got a good story, he should tell it and enlighten those that haven't heard it.

I'm just saying that's a sorry thread to ban some one over.  Locking the thread would have solved the problem and given people time to cool off and address grievences in a more logical and calm manner.
Magnus frater spectat te - Big Brother is watching you

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Sorry, Gillvray...
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 11:54:20 PM »

Quote from: Rico
A lot of people are still angry over 9/11, and hatred is a sad product of that anger.

It's been a little over three years since that happened. Some people are using this as an excuse to justify pre-existing bigotry.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
Sorry, Gillvray...
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 12:04:27 AM »

Rico, you and I have disagreed on many occasions, but I have never once felt offended by you.  No matter what the topic, I feel like you and I have always been respectful of one another.  When I read Gillivray's last posts, I was offended to the core.  I felt like there was absolutely zero respect coming from him.  You've known me for long enough to know that I don't get offended easily or often.  When I saw Gillivray's statement (directed at Law) that, "You attacked us once...", I was pissed beyond reason.  He did, in fact, direct comments towards Law that were as out of line as anything I've ever seen in one of our discussion forums.  I, for one, am not sorry that he is gone.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Sorry, Gillvray...
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 07:49:28 AM »

What she said.

I'll put up with inflammatory remarks to a point, however stupid or misguided they may be. But once someone starts directly attacking someone else (which Gillivray did by using "you" and "your people"), all bets are off.

You think he wasn't throwing around slurs? How about his "towelheads" comment?
<snip>25 terrorists, gee who happened to be towelhead wearing Muslims.<snip>

or this:
<snip>But just like a true Muslim, you went off on a tanget.<snip>

I fail to see any logic in that statement.

He was responding from a purely emotional place. Most of the rest of us were keeping our cool, using logic and reason. I'm not sorry he's gone, and I'm not unbanning him.

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
Sorry, Gillvray...
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 08:00:09 AM »

Yeah, this coffin needed another nail. Aces.
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

Anonymous

Sorry, Gillvray...
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 08:32:05 AM »

Cat felt it was appropriate to ban him so she did. That's her job as a moderator. She's entitled to make that decision. End of story.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Sorry, Gillvray...
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 09:38:57 PM »

I have no patience for people who toss racism around (when they mean it) and if cat hadn't banned him, I would have.