The Geek Forum

• May 03, 2024, 10:13:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129597
  • Total Topics: 7173
  • Online Today: 82
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Home brewing  (Read 1716 times)

damoose

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +17/-1
    • View Profile
Home brewing
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:58:36 AM »

This topic got started over in the Denizen Picture thread, but that seemed like a poor place for it (drinking tends to make pictures, and about everything else, blurry after all). As such I thought I'd open up a new thread over here.

I've been giving some serious thought and looked into it more. I even looked over a recipe at Midwest to see how to actually brew. I don't want to drop a bunch of money on this and not be able to really get into it. Then again, I don't want to half-arse it and make bad beer. I was looking at the kits at Midwest Supplies (as Reimero suggested), and looking at the secondary fermenters. Of those here who home brew, do you use a secondary fermenter? Sediment in my beer doesn't bother me so much, as I have had many good hefeweissen which had some sediment. Not sure if that extra sediment in the fermentation would take away from the taste or not.

I also wondered if those of you that used a secondary fermenter had a dedicated refrigerator? I saw in the instructions that you needed to keep the fermenting brew at a fairly steady, and low, temp. As such I saw a basement floor in winter was good, but not sure how it'd work during the summer months.

I guess in general I am looking for some pointers as a potential home brewer.

reimero

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +112/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.omgjonx.com
Re: Home brewing
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »

I don't use a secondary fermenter, although there have been times it would have been nice.  You can get very good beer without a secondary fermenter.
I guess it really depends on a couple of things.  What constitutes "a bunch of money" for you?  If you follow instructions precisely and keep everything sanitized, you won't make bad beer (unless you use a recipe that calls for rice malt.)
Basements in general are a good place, but the actual temperature is dependent on your yeast.  If you use an ale yeast, your fermenting temperature will be higher than with a lager yeast or a champagne yeast.  Ale should ferment right in the 68-72F (20-22C) range.  You can go a little bit outside those ranges, but that's the "sweet spot."  You'll only need a fridge for lagers (45-55F, or 7-13C).

I haven't had a really bad batch yet.  I cook the wort in an old canning pot and just shove the fermenter in a quiet dark corner.  I'll let the hydrometer tell me when fermentation is done (that is, if you're following a recipe, it should include an original gravity and a final gravity, and fermentation is done when you hit that final gravity.)
It does cost some money, but not a ridiculous amount.  A lot of the equipment can be purchased at garage sales or on craigslist.  A thermometer is a thermometer.  The brewing-specific equipment you'll need really is the fermenter with airlock, bottling bucket with spigot, bottles (which can be reused bottles that aren't the screw-top type), racking cane and tubing, hydrometer and bottlecapper.
"This f*cker is in wisconsin, reimero is from awesomeland." - Bobert

damoose

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +17/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 04:57:24 PM »

I was looking at the basic 'everything' kit on Midwest. I didn't think the $135 price tag was too bad considering what you get with it. Than again would a 4 gallon pot be large enough? It also looks like you'd need another thermometer any way to check your temp while steeping the grains. I am sure I could either get, or have, a couple dozen empty bottles in the house. I don't have a large stock pot, but I think I could pick up a functional one at Wal Mart or Target. That would leave the actual beer kit, which looks like they typically run $25-30. That would easily put the price right back up there around $135.

In part I was wondering if single stage fermentation was worth it, and it sounds like it is. I will have to to do some searching to see what else is out there before 'taking the plunge'. I think it is a hobby that I will certainly enjoy, there is just a bit more to it then I expected. I've looked around some, but I think I will continue looking for now at least.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »

I can tell I've returned to practicing magic when I read "home brewing" and didn't think about beer... immediately... directly.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.