The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 09:31:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Getting to know the geek girl  (Read 8526 times)

Anonymous

Getting to know the geek girl
« on: August 03, 2004, 09:43:05 AM »

http://www.gotthegeek.com/the_judge/images/Judgiestudio.jpg">
Welcome the first instalment of "Inside the Judgie Studio". I’m your host, Judge Lipton. Like the soup. Ha ha ha ha!

Today, I have the pleasure of receiving two well known ladies of the web to discuss the geek girl emergence in today’s society. Please join me in welcoming Detta and Vespertine to the stage!

*Claps like an idiot*

JL: Welcome! Lets us begin shall we? How do you think the average person defines a geek girl?

D: The average person is actually below average. So they have a very narrow view. They think she's someone who wears glasses and carries around a lot of books.

V: I don't know, I'm not an average person, I'm a geek girl really though, I have no idea.

JL: What is your personal definition of a geek girl?

D: That's tough one. I don't think I fit my own definition of a geek. But I've definitely been told that I am one. My definition is that she's tech savvy...knows her way around that computer. She's also very intelligent and can hold a conversation about just about anything.

However, I do have a definite tendency to exhibit geek-like behaviours. For example, not only have I always been good at math, but I really enjoy it. That’s one thing I really miss about being a math teacher. You get to do math all day! I also have two different role playing games that I’m playing right now. Big geek red flag right there. And I frequent many internet forums. I have many friends who are "fake internet people". Of course, I don’t see them as that, but the narrow minded, less-than-average, average people do.

I also know 1337 speak. And that’s just sad.

V: A girl who's smart as hell and who, more importantly, is proud of that fact. There are a whole lot of really smart girls out there who get around a guy and refuse to be their normal, intelligent selves for fear of being seen as a threat. Also, I think one of the key traits of a geek girl is that she is often treated by males as "one of the guys". To me, it's not about whether you're into computers or video games or whatever. It's about your innate intelligence and making the most of it.

JL: That’s very interesting… Both your replies make sense, yet they are contradictory. On one hand, Detta refers to behaviours and interests yet Vespertine tells us it’s not related to those things at all. It’s all about being smart and using your brain to its full potential. How fascinating! Next question: How do you feel a geek girl is perceived by non geek girls?

D: It depends on the non-geek. There are all different types of people out there actually. And we’re perceived differently by each group, I’m sure.

V: I can only speak from personal experience. For the most part, I am not liked by women. Non geek girls tend to react (to me) as if they are jealous and/or threatened. I think they perceive me as putting on an act to attract the attention of both men and women. I don't think they realize that it's not an act. I am wickedly smart and very proud of it, and they tend to think that I'm that way solely to land a man.

JL: So Detta, you’re essentially saying there’s no difference between any group, whether they be geek girls or not. Every social group will get along well with some groups and not so well with others. It all comes down to personality. But Vespertine seems to indicate that it’s more about perception than personality. My God! This discussion is so captivating! Now, how do you perceive or feel about non geek girls? Are there any conflicts between the two groups?

D: They’re fine as long as they don’t think they’re better than me. Once you get that attitude, you’re on my list. I have a lot of non-geek girl friends in real life. I’ve never had any problems (once I got out of middle school anyway.)

V: It works out well that women usually don't like me because I usually don't like them either. I have a really good friend who's a geek girl and when we go out we're like a club made up of two members. I tend to think of non geek girls as silly, dingy, needy and generally useless. There's usually no conflict for me because I just try to avoid them. I don't really like being around them in the first place, so I see no need to put myself in that situation.

JL: Now this is the peek point in our discussion in terms of me pissing myself with joy! You see, indirectly, Detta is describing Vespertine and Vespertine is describing Detta. You both love the thing you hate! Again, Detta goes back to attitudes where she says "I’ll be friends with anyone until they turn out to be assholes" while Vespertine says "I’ll be an ass from the start so I don’t have to be friends with everyone I know I won’t like anyway". Perhaps there is fear of rejection which is camouflaged by a perception, which may or may not be true, that the average girl is whiny and annoying, thus has no purpose in Vespertine’s world. So to some degree, it does come down to perceptions, but not to how the world views you, but how you view yourself in this crazy cold uncompassionate world that will pay for ridiculing me on SNL! Damn you Will Ferrell! DAMN YOU!!!

Moving on… What benefits/advantages do geek girls have that non geek girls don't have?

D: We’re definitely better looking. Everyone’s good looking on the internet!

V: I think a geek girl's advantage is that she has the ability to think in a linear fashion. You know as well as I do that women are all over the map (and not logical) in their thought processes. They let emotion get in the way of a logical conclusion. I don't see this behaviour that often in geek girls.

JL: Looks VS thoughts… The internet VS the real world… Aaaaaaaaaaahhh! I must ponder on this for a minute.

*minute passes*

What is your favourite color? Erm… Where was I? Ah yes! Vespertine, you bring up an interesting point. Geek girls are rational while non geek girls are emotional and therefore out of control. I tend to agree with you, but there are exceptions to every rule of course. Detta my dear, I’m not convinced everyone is good looking on the internet. Take a look at Hilda  for example.http://www.silvercreek.wclark.k12.in.us/StudentWork/StudentPages/KCarney/ugly_girl.jpeg"> She’s repulsive!

Are there obvious flaws the geek girls have compared to non geek girls?

D: Our glasses get wet in the rain and we can’t see. Oh wait…glasses aren’t actually required. Nope, I see no flaws.

V: Honestly, I cannot think of a single thing that would be considered (by me) to be a flaw.

JL: So… Detta, are you saying that non geek girls can wear glasses in the rain and they will not get wet? And by wet, I’m referring to the glasses and not the girls of course! I had to point that out because one of my students is in the audience giggling like at little girl! Who is that? Lacerda? Anyway… Vespertine, of course, sees no flaws in being Vespertine. I think that’s fair. It’s honest and it’s from the heart. Let’s talk sexuality for a second. LACERDA, STOP GIGGLING!!

Sorry… I apologize for the outburst. Are geek girls more aroused by geek boys than non geek boys?

D: Probably. It’s good to be with someone who understands you better.

V: Depends on the geek. I cannot be with someone who isn't extremely smart; I get bored with them. On the other hand, sometimes we all like to be with someone who is different from us. Like I said, it depends.

JL: I’m Judge Lipton and I’m smart as hell! It must be killing you not to be able to leap from that chair and pull on my beard or stroke my forehead!

Again, we have conflicting responses here. Detta is saying it’s probably easier to make things work when you are with someone who thinks the way you do. Vespertine says it’s all about intellectual stimulation and diversity. Would it be fair to say that you are just using that as an excuse because you are afraid of commitment? You’re saying it depends, but you’re not clear about that. What exactly does it depend on? I don’t believe you know the answer. I don’t believe anyone has THE answer to that question. It is Ironic isn’t it? The experience of life revolves around finding answers to our questions, to satisfy this thirst for knowledge that drives us. Yet the quest for answers can only lead us to more questions! God is playing a joke on us! It’s cruel! Now… Where was I? Other than gender, is there a difference between a geek boy and a geek girl?

D: Geek girls are sexier.

V: I think geek girls, in many cases, exhibit more masculine traits than geek boys, e.g. outspokenness, going after what we want, etc. I think that we exhibit these traits because we've had an uphill battle for a decent portion of our lives. I think the geek boy learns at a young age to just blend in and he won't get picked on, so he tends to be meeker than a geek girl.

JL: Hummm…. *ponders about the secret of life* You know Detta, I look at you and I have to agree with your statement. But I’m not just looking at your chest area, I’m peering into your soul and I’m seeing a very sexy individual. However, I don’t think that relates to geekness at all. Everyone can be beautiful if you look at them from the right angles. I remember this one time in Guanajuato, there was this poor woman dragging herself on the street trying to find food for her little baby that she was breastfeeding as she dragged her one legged body from gutter to gutter. I approached her and offered her work. She looked at me and smiled, with all of seven rotten teeth. Well it was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen in my life! Well…, the paper bag helped a lot. But I’ll tell you one thing, this girl wasn’t tech savvy at all! Hell, she tried to grab on to my cell phone as if it was a loaf of bread! Oh look at me! I’m off topic again! Well let’s go back to Vespertine. I’ll tell you one thing; this girl from Guanajuato had broad shoulders like a football player! And a beard. She was very masculine indeed. Does that make her a geek girl? Well no. She was dumb as a mule. But you do bring an interesting idea to the discussion. You refer to history and how women were treated as inferiors. So would you say there are no geek girls in locations where women are still viewed as inferior, objects, or servant of man? I’m thinking of certain parts in Africa where they still practice FMG (Female Genital Mutilation) which is a destructive, invasive procedure that is usually performed on girls before puberty. Part or the entire clitoris is surgically removed. This leaves them with reduced or no sexual feeling. Orgasms are sometimes impossible to experience later in life. Many health problems result from the surgery. This is not a religious practice, but a cultural one. The operation is forced on approximately 6,000 girls per day, worldwide -- about one every 15 seconds. Since FGM is practiced when the girls are young, they are unable to give their informed consent. So do you think there are many geek girls out there that are running around without a complete apparatus? Can girls become intellectual in these barbaric environments that are maintained by idiotic dominant males? And what about the boys who later turn out to perform these horrible acts? Any geeks there?
OK, let’s tone it down a bit. I’m starting to loose hair over this and as you can tell, I really need to hold on to what I have left.
When did you realize you became a geek girl and under what circumstances?

D: When my sister rolled her eyes and called me a “gee-three-three-kay”.
V: was having dinner with my ex-boyfriend (we were still together then) and in normal conversation, I used the term 'null set'. We weren't even talking about math. He was one of those math people, and was totally turned on. Before that I knew I was a geek, but that moment showed me the power that came with being a geek girl.
Detta, I don’t get it. Vespertine, null set? I guess for my part, one could say HHHHUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRR!!!111
Final question: Is there pride and/or shame that one must live with when existing as a geek girl?

D: I dunno. I don’t mind it one bit.
V: I am very proud of whom I am, and I refuse to change for anyone. Sure, there are a lot of people that don't care for me and my quirkiness, but oh well. I revel in being me and can't imagine wanting to be anyone else.

JL: That’s honest Detta. I am who I am and I’m happy with that. I’m not better or worse than anyone else, I’m just me. That is a concept everyone should aspire too. Especially those no good useless good for nothing Islamic extremist! And Vespertine, while you are very confident in your answer, there is a certain fear that is generate by it. Is refusing to change for anyone the proper approach in all situations or are there circumstances where one should be more receptive and open? I mean, look at Bush. His attitude screwed the entire country! But I commend you on your last statement. I believe it is one of the key factors in finding true happiness. If you wish to be someone else, it’s because you are miserable as yourself.

Unfortunately, we are running low on time. Let’s move to the next segment where my student s will bombard you with stupid questions and you can inspire them with your wise responses.

*Turns to the crowd* And Lacerda, you better behave! I’m the fricking Dean so don’t make me quote University policies!

We'll be back next week with the second part of this interview. So join us again inside the Judgie Studio!

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 10:18:01 AM »

Now this is the peek point in our discussion in terms of me pissing myself with joy!

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Anyway, when Judgie told me that my and Vespertine's answers were pretty much opposite, I said, "Oh crap, that means I got them all wrong!".

:P

Good job Judge.  I LOLed!!!
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

The_FOO

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +61/-3
  • irc.hyperion.org:6667 #hn
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hyperion.org
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 10:41:21 AM »

Good article.

While my GF is definately not what she would consider tech savy, she can get around and do what she need to with XP. And she can run circles around me in Excel.  Not that that's saying much, cause I use Excel once in a blue moon.

She would qualify as a Geek Girl under both Detta's and Vespertine's criteria. She's smart, not afraid to speak her mind, and doesn't give a damn if you don't like it cause that's who she is and she's proud of it.
http://www.errorfm.com/efm.pls
More FOOlish than you'll ever be.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 10:42:51 AM »

I never got around to answering those questions, but I don't think many people would question that I'm a geek girl.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 12:24:21 PM »

My wife is pretty g33k.  She's a web and graphic designer, knows perl, quite a bit of javascript, and can troubleshoot hardware, software, and network issues with the best of them.  Not to mention, getting our first wireless router was her idea.

She also was as excited about going to see the castle they filmed Monty Python And The Holy Grail in and around as I was, and that's saying something.

She's also a sci-fi/fantasy reader (you should see our combined book collection) and she gets most of my jokes.

That's also saying something.  :)

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 12:31:35 PM »

When you're at home, do you use words like LOL or do you just laugh out loud like everyone else?

reimero

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +112/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.omgjonx.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 01:06:22 PM »

OMFG T3H 1337 G33K GUR1Z!!!11!!!!1!1!!!!!1!!1
"This f*cker is in wisconsin, reimero is from awesomeland." - Bobert

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 01:18:44 PM »

Quote from: Detta

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Anyway, when Judgie told me that my and Vespertine's answers were pretty much opposite, I said, "Oh crap, that means I got them all wrong!".

:P

Good job Judge.  I LOLed!!!

LOL!  Thanks Dertta!  Had he told me that, I would have said the same damn thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 01:29:11 PM »

Perhaps there is fear of rejection which is camouflaged by a perception, which may or may not be true, that the average girl is whiny and annoying, thus has no purpose in Vespertine’s world.

OMFGROFL!!!!11!!!111  But I'll agree about the 'no purpose in my world' remark.

Would it be fair to say that you are just using that as an excuse because you are afraid of commitment? You’re saying it depends, but you’re not clear about that. What exactly does it depend on? I don’t believe you know the answer.

For once, I'm gonna give you a serious answer.  I'm definitely not afraid of commitment, but I am repulsed by the idea of it.  More specifically, I'm repulsed by the idea of someone thinking that they get to have a say in what I do and/or when I do it.  On the other point, it depends on my mood.

And Vespertine, while you are very confident in your answer, there is a certain fear that is generate by it. Is refusing to change for anyone the proper approach in all situations or are there circumstances where one should be more receptive and open? I mean, look at Bush. His attitude screwed the entire country! But I commend you on your last statement. I believe it is one of the key factors in finding true happiness. If you wish to be someone else, it’s because you are miserable as yourself.

I'm not saying that I won't change my mind or my viewpoint.  I'm totally open to hearing new information and changing (or not changing) my mind about something.  What I'm saying is that I won't change who I am.  For anybody.  For any reason.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 01:32:21 PM »

V: Depends on the geek. I cannot be with someone who isn't extremely smart; I get bored with them. On the other hand, sometimes we all like to be with someone who is different from us. Like I said, it depends.

Hey, I wore depends, once.

ONCE!

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 01:43:01 PM »

Quote from: TheJudge
When you're at home, do you use words like LOL or do you just laugh out loud like everyone else?

We just laugh out loud.

I do say "HUURRRRRRRRRRRRR!" at home though.  My wife thinks it's teh funay.  Particularly when I told her of its origins.

She said that in her opinion, "Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie" would have been much improved if we had had a similar viewing experience.  :)

EXPERIENCE!

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 01:48:37 PM »

Quote from: pbsaurus
Hey, I wore depends, once.

ONCE!

Tha's cause you're an old fart. :-)

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 01:52:29 PM »

There was a point many yonks ago when I was far more heavily addicted to IRC when I would say "slash me" quite a bit around various other geeky people.

Thankfully I grew out of it and only do it for comedic value these days.

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2004, 09:26:22 AM »

I told my person that I was being interviewed for the front page at the geekery, so he made me this metal.

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2004, 10:51:32 AM »

I told my person that I was being interviewed for the front page at the geekery, so he made me this metal.

That's cute.

p.s.-- It's medal ;-)

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2004, 03:47:43 PM »

Heh.  Duh.   Musta been drunk this morning.

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2004, 06:27:59 PM »

:shock: Drunk?

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2004, 07:00:24 PM »

Not really.  That's just my excuse for everything stupid I do.

DiscipleOfChaos

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +20/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2004, 12:11:04 AM »

Not really.  That's just my excuse for everything stupid I do.

Wow. I wish I had even an excuse for the stupid things I do. Even a lie one.
HURR!

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2004, 02:31:54 PM »

You could say that the blue hair dye seeped in through your skull and into your brain.

DiscipleOfChaos

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +20/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2004, 03:35:52 PM »

You could say that the blue hair dye seeped in through your skull and into your brain.

That would have been a good excuse, when it was there. It has since been cut off; I need to take a current picture of me and put it up I guess.

:)
HURR!

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2004, 07:00:54 AM »

Too many static shocks from handling computer parts?